Looking for a bolt gun

PDA

RainDownmyBlues
January 6, 2010, 07:04 PM
So I'm looking for a budgetish bolt action rifle. But I have a few stipulations of course ;)

1. Lefty. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. Nothing was more annoying when I was still active in the army(well, dealing with guns at least) than seeing the brass cross my face, it was distracting. And if they didn't have deflectors I would have that burning hot crap down my shirt.

2. Iron sights. I just don't know why hardly any bolt gun comes with iron sights anymore. I might scope eventually, but I still like shooting with irons and prefer to have them.

3. .308

4. Somewhat budget. 500-800(I'm not to confident in finding something new with those stipulations for that :uhoh:)

Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a bolt gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RainDownmyBlues
January 6, 2010, 08:07 PM
bumpy

mannac
January 6, 2010, 08:19 PM
I know Tikka T3s are good rifles. They come in a lefty and .308. I don't remember if they have iron sights though. I've heard bad things about customer service though.
Browning A-Bolts come in a lefty .308. Once again, I don't know about iron sights.
Remington 700. Not sure about iron sights.
Iron sights seem to be disappearing. Kind of annoying.

Something to look into.

Wanta B
January 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
Look into CZs...lefty may still be a problem.

RainDownmyBlues
January 6, 2010, 08:33 PM
Is it a fathomable option to get irons put on? As in good sights that seem close to factory and don't look incredibly cheesey standing an inch off barrel?

Lefty is a pretty big issue with me, as if I shoot right handed, I don't hit on target as well and I get a terrible headache after 20 aimed shots. I played army boy as a SDM and as such I'm a pretty damn good shot, but ONLY lefty.

If irons can be put on for not much money that may be an option, but I'm not sure if modern rifles are even pre drilled for 'em.

627PCFan
January 6, 2010, 08:40 PM
Savage and Tikkas have lefties in 308 and some offerings with iron sights. Or you could get a standard model (cheaper) and add peep sights?

Hatterasguy
January 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Does it have to be new, and in .308?

What about a 1903 in 30-06?

hawk45
January 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Savage or there Stevens line.. Tikka would be good too.

RainDownmyBlues
January 6, 2010, 09:18 PM
Does it have to be new, and in .308?

What about a 1903 in 30-06?

Right handed bolt. And ammo is like three times the price.

lopezni
January 6, 2010, 09:20 PM
look around, I've seen some lefty Rugers and Savages for some pretty good prices.

Wanta B
January 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
Back home,state side,.308Win and .30-06 were the same price most of the time...However the OP does specify .308Win.

billyhornsby
January 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
Check out this link on the Ruger Hawkeye. You can find them on Gunbroker.com for around $650.00. Great gun....Billy

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandardLeftHanded/models.html

RainDownmyBlues
January 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
Well if the .308 and .30-06 were the same price, either cartridge are similar enough for my taste. But from what I've seen with a little research is that about the lowest price of 30-06 is around $1 a round. .308 cheap stuff can be had for 30 odd cents online.

Wanta B
January 6, 2010, 09:43 PM
I did say "most of the time".Wolf is cheap...in every way.;)

LEVRLOVR
January 6, 2010, 09:52 PM
I second the Ruger Hawkeye recommendation.

nipprdog
January 6, 2010, 10:42 PM
Well if the .308 and .30-06 were the same price, either cartridge are similar enough for my taste. But from what I've seen with a little research is that about the lowest price of 30-06 is around $1 a round. .308 cheap stuff can be had for 30 odd cents online.

So, you're saying that accuracy potential, and ammo quality, mean nothing to you??

mannac
January 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
I think he wants something in a somewhat bigger caliber that he can have fun shooting that doesn't cost a fortune. "Plink" with cheap stuff, then bring out the match grade/handloaded rounds every now and then. We're not here to argue about which cartridge is better. He wants a .308 :)

sledhead76
January 7, 2010, 08:00 PM
Weatherby

husker
January 7, 2010, 08:20 PM
rem Mohawk 600 Dont know if you can find it in left hand

RainDownmyBlues
January 7, 2010, 09:45 PM
I think he wants something in a somewhat bigger caliber that he can have fun shooting that doesn't cost a fortune. "Plink" with cheap stuff, then bring out the match grade/handloaded rounds every now and then. We're not here to argue about which cartridge is better. He wants a .308

Nail on the head. I also don't have any handloading equipment and doing plan on investing for awhile. Cheaper ammo for fun on weekends. And obviously there is the ability to get great ammo for long range stuff. Remember, I'm wanting to use irons for awhile first. No sense of using match ammo with irons.

nipprdog
January 7, 2010, 10:20 PM
Nail on the head. I also don't have any handloading equipment and doing plan on investing for awhile. Cheaper ammo for fun on weekends. And obviously there is the ability to get great ammo for long range stuff. Remember, I'm wanting to use irons for awhile first. No sense of using match ammo with irons.

I stand corrected. ;)

Morrell
January 7, 2010, 10:30 PM
Have you thought about an Enfield 2A? They are .308 and I've seen them on gunbroker for around 200-300.

chad1043
January 7, 2010, 11:32 PM
I don't know about lefties.. How about a 8mmm Mauser... :)

CB900F
January 8, 2010, 12:05 AM
Raindown;

I'm a lefty also & started shooting when a dedicated left handed gun was pretty much a jaw-dropper. Things have, fortunately, changed. However, it does sound as though there are some buget issues that shouldn't be ignored either.

Therefore, I'll advise not to be excessively picky about what's found, but find it on the used market. The guns are out there, but the internet may not be the best place to find one. If you have a truly good relationship with a couple of shops, gunsmiths, shooting clubs, etc., etc., put the word out. Believe me, somebody knows somebody else, who knows a widow that wants to get rid of the things. Check the shopper type papers if they run gun ads. Go to the pawn shops too.

You never can tell what you'll run into, but you'll be sure to miss it if you don't actively look. Egad, possibly even F-gad, there's a Remington 788 in either .308 or 6mm Remington out there to be found! And here's a piece of advice to take to heart: don't pass on a lefty 788 in 6mm just 'cause it ain't a .308. Because if you ever let it be known that you did, there are portsiders out there who either immediately pop a blood vessel, or actively start plotting against you. Or both.

Cheers!
900F

RainDownmyBlues
January 8, 2010, 07:29 AM
Well honestly, I'm more concious about ammo at this point. I've shot 5.56 for the last 4 years. And even as a SDM it's not a long range caliber. It works, for urban combat, but even some of the ranges I engaged, I was disappointed in how much I would have to compensate for bullet drop, and effectiveness at range.

I like the .308 and the 30 ought, when i don't have to pay for the rounds :neener:

Wanta B
January 8, 2010, 02:08 PM
"Plinking/recreation" ammoe...Good point,go .308Win.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a bolt gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!