Got a Marlin Model 60 I am impressed

PDA

MrWesson
January 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
I traded a guy a range finder for this and WOW it shoots circles around my 10/22 with a aftermarket trigger. I took it to the range put on a scope I had on my air rifle. I zeroed it and on my second attempt I shot this group at 50yds. It took me awhile to sight in and after this I shot other guns but pretty impressive results.
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7600/pic0172a.jpg (http://img686.imageshack.us/i/pic0172a.jpg/)

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a Marlin Model 60 I am impressed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cyclopsshooter
January 6, 2010, 07:22 PM
I luv my 60s

Arkansas Paul
January 6, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm with you. I just put a Nikon Buckmasters 4x32mm on my model 60 and I was getting very tight groups today. Some of them one holers. I love mine. They're tough to beat for $130.

highorder
January 6, 2010, 07:57 PM
Nice group!

Your scope is quite far back.

Do you have any reason for the odd cheekweld that must come with it?

Starter52
January 6, 2010, 07:58 PM
A Model 60 was my first semi .22 rifle back in 1975. It's a great gun for the money. Marlin has sold millions of them over the years.

MrWesson
January 6, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have a tumor on my face.

Seriously though like I said I pulled this scope off of my airgun and the eye relief is horrible. I have to basically have my eye on the scope to get a good picture.

ColeK
January 6, 2010, 08:20 PM
I bought my first Marlin M60 back about 1970-71. They are great rifles for the money. The only thing I've found better was the Marlin M7000 with a 18.5" bull barrel and their M2000 match action.

sheepdog
January 6, 2010, 08:30 PM
...never fired a M60 till a friend gave my son one...about 20 years old...I went to work on the tree rats with it and fell in love...found a used SS model yesterday for $100 and now I own one!!! Fine balance...I'm told there have more of these been sold than any model .22 ever made...can't verify that....

MAURICE
January 6, 2010, 09:11 PM
I love mine. It's about 35 years old and runs like a champ.

TCB in TN
January 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
Got my first one when I was about 8. Old one with the squirrel. Traded "up" on a nylon when I was 12-13. Wish I had both back now. I currently have a couple of 60's and to be honest I think they are the best "bang" for the buck in the gun market. Welcome to the club! :)

Geno
January 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
I wish you guys would stop posting threads like this! Every time I read one of these threads, I am reminded of my brother-in-law taking me shooting with his model 60 back in about 1968. It's not that I mind being reminded how old I'm getting, rather that eve've bin sew dum eye ain't bought won. :banghead: I need...a model 60!

Geno

Quentin
January 6, 2010, 09:31 PM
I love my M60s too. Got the first around 1970, soon after my first rifle a Marlin 336C. A couple years ago I got #2 on sale at Wal-Mart. Both are great.

Mike J
January 6, 2010, 10:00 PM
Well what are you waiting for Geno. They don't cost much & are even relatively inexpensive to shoot.

Tamlin
January 6, 2010, 10:13 PM
I got my model 60 back in 1983 from a pawn shop, when I was 16. Never wanted to put a scope on it, because the iron sights are dead-on balls accurate.

Geno
January 6, 2010, 10:52 PM
Mike J:

I have near 1 dozen .22LRs now. :banghead: I want to get one of the Dunham models the has the emblem in the stock. You are correct, they are not expensive. I'll watch for them to go on sale. Oh, by the way, Mike...thanks for the encouragement! :banghead: My wife's gonna club me over the head with it. :D

Geno

Eb1
January 7, 2010, 12:28 AM
my model 60 does the same. great job.

rangerruck
January 7, 2010, 01:54 AM
..." and ye shall KNOW the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
It is the knowing of the truth, that sets former ruger owners free, to love
all models of marlin, especially any of the semi's and even more so, the
ubiquitous mod 60.

rangerruck
January 7, 2010, 01:55 AM
by the by, air rifle scopes are way underrated, if they are adult rated, break bbl rated, they will usually focus down to about 7meters as well; some go down as low as 10 ft!!!

MrWesson
January 7, 2010, 02:04 AM
I should have been specific It was a 3x9x40 scope but it is just a bad scope not a "airgun scope". I had a 4x12x40 and I put that on tonight much better eye relief.

Bobarino
January 7, 2010, 02:41 AM
Marlin 60's are great! and that one looks like it shoots exceptionally great! i have a stainless one with the grey laminate stock and i just love it. i ordered some Williams Firesites for it because i think the stock open sights aren't precise enough so i'm hoping those will make it/me even more accurate. for the price, it's hard to find a more fun and shootable gun. enjoy it!

Sav .250
January 7, 2010, 07:33 AM
Have ..........2. :)

sheepdog
January 7, 2010, 07:49 AM
...now what's all this about "...truth that sets former ruger owners free..." stuff? I ain't ever givin' up my 10/22...but this is America...and I get all I can pay for....next on the list a Marlin Mountie!!!

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
January 7, 2010, 10:25 AM
i bought myself my first gun when i was in college back in 2004. first gun was a M60 off a friend with a scope, 1K of ammo, and a case for $60. now ive done a few things like a trigger fluff and buff. with federal bulk pack i can do .25inch groups at 50 yards, CCI mini-mags can do 3 shot ragged whole.

rangerruck
January 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
oh yeah, if you wanna lighten the trigger a bit, go over to rimfirecentral.com, and look for the mod 60 stickies. A fast lighten job is to take out the return trigger spring, which just sits in the trigger housing there, and either cut a coil, remove it totally , or replace it with a bic pen clicky spring, or an old harddrive door spring...

MrWesson
January 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
oh yeah, if you wanna lighten the trigger a bit, go over to rimfirecentral.com, and look for the mod 60 stickies. A fast lighten job is to take out the return trigger spring, which just sits in the trigger housing there, and either cut a coil, remove it totally , or replace it with a bic pen clicky spring, or an old harddrive door spring...

Yeah the trigger is a bit heavy but I also noticed while dry firing that it doesn't have the loud click that my ruger has. no biggie but it did have some issues with FTF(light strikes) that may have been the crappy Remington bulk crap or that it was the dirtiest gun I have ever seen.

CZguy
January 7, 2010, 11:31 AM

Don't forget the little dab of JB Weld to take out the take up travel on the trigger.

Info can be found on a sticky over at rimfire central.

Also this is a good time of the year to rescue one from a pawnshop and clean it up.

Deltaboy
January 7, 2010, 11:39 AM
I have had one off and on for years and they are GREAT!

Snakum
January 7, 2010, 04:52 PM
I was looking for a 60 when I bought the 597 for Xmas present. Out of the box, my experience has been that the Marlin 60 is the most accurate .22 ever. My 597 ain't no slouch, but a 60 will shoot circles around it. It is a smoking bushy tail slayer. :p

ArmedBear
January 7, 2010, 05:03 PM
I have had similar experiences with my Marlin 60.

Sold off the 10/22 after I started shooting the Marlin -- why put a few hundred bucks in a 10/22 to make it work right, when I have a cheap semiauto .22 that shoots so well anyway? I have other things to do with the money.:)

CZguy
January 7, 2010, 05:09 PM
Yep me too. But I kept the 10/22, cause something has to be in the back of the safe. :D

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
January 7, 2010, 05:51 PM
ya keep the remington ammo out of the marlin's, they hate it, its dirty and i always had FTF or FTE with those, mine loves CCI- Mini-Mags or Federal bulk packs.

with federal i can get on average .28-.35 3shot groups at 50 yards outdoors on a bench rest (sand bags) CCI is smaller yet.

sheepdog
January 7, 2010, 05:54 PM
...how it feeds CCI Stingers??? That's been my favorite 10/22 round....

CZguy
January 7, 2010, 06:28 PM
All .22s have different ammo preferences. You need to try several different tyes in each rifle.

I have an old model 60 that actually prefers Remington golden bullets. :banghead: I have to clean it about twice as often. :uhoh:

ArmedBear
January 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
I've put Stingers and Velocitors through mine, and they feed as well as any other CCI rounds -- which is to say, perfectly.

However, the bolt slams back noticeably. I think you may want to dink with the gun if you want to put a high volume of those things through it without hurting it any.

OTOH for the price, you can buy another one.

sheepdog
January 7, 2010, 06:53 PM
...thanks for that...and I've used Remington Golden for many years with no problems...before that the red and white box loads...the one I hated to shoot was Sears...

hub
January 7, 2010, 07:00 PM
...how it feeds CCI Stingers??? That's been my favorite 10/22 round....
My stainless 60 shoots the stingers pretty well and actually it does pretty darn good with most decent high velocity rounds. It shoots better groups with lower velocity stuff but I have the occasional fte with lower velocity rounds. I have several bricks of standard velocity Aguila that I shoot in my Sig Trailside and it shoots them very good. I also ran some Aguila Match rifle ammo through it and it shot really good groups with that too.

My step dad has an old Glenfield 60 that he got a few months ago for $50. It had a rough looking stock that had some cracks in the wood and some spray on type finish. We took it out and it shot some really good groups too with the Aguila standard with no fte's.

I refinished the stock for him but I didn't put too much work or time into it. I oven cleaned off the finish, light sanded, one run through the dish washer, glued up the cracks, restained it, then applied several coats of tru oil I had left over. I don't think it looks too bad for $50.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a Marlin Model 60 I am impressed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!