fn spr

PDA

cwdotson
January 7, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thinking about buying one of these actions from cdnn (sp. ?) and building up a rifle over time. The goal would be a general-purpose, target, some stand hunting, and just nice to have a high-quality accurate tough piece of hardware. Any thoughts? Thanks.cwd

If you enjoyed reading about "fn spr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
January 7, 2010, 05:22 PM
I bought one of the FN rifles from cdnn. I don't recall the exact model number but mine is the 20" heavy barrel with CRF in 308. Mine was $700 and shoots around 1/2" at 100. Not crazy about the Hogue stock.

USSR
January 7, 2010, 06:29 PM
Personally, I like the FN SPR.

Don

http://ussr.clarityconnect.com/FNSPRnew1.jpg

Uncle Mike
January 7, 2010, 07:02 PM
Good idea, they build good.

Broken11b
January 7, 2010, 07:20 PM
Great rifles, my SPR was one of the best bolt guns I ever bought. Really cant say enough good things about the rifle.

cwdotson
January 8, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the observations-looks like a go as soon as my IRS refund comes in-start with the action and work up-I have enough firearms to do everything else I want (well, maybe I need a Browning B92!) so I can take my time as disposable income comes up and put it together exactly like I want it. Anybody got any advice or stories or suggestions therein, let me know.cwd

USSR
January 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
...I can take my time as disposable income comes up and put it together exactly like I want it. Anybody got any advice or stories or suggestions therein, let me know.

I have had 3 rifles custom built. My advice is: If you are not in a hurry and want to save some $$$, pick up the parts you want to use in your build over time when the price is right and send them to your smith along with your action. Use a quality barrel and have your smith true the action prior to installation. Select a quality stock such as McMillan, and have your smith pillar bed it. And finally, select a reputable gunsmith such as George Gardner, Terry Cross, etc.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "fn spr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!