50 Beowulf build

PDA

Bullnettles
January 7, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm wanting to build a 50 Beowulf, but can't find any 16"(14.5") barrels (only found bull barrel at midway). If you guys know where to go for something like this, please enlighten me. Thanks guys and gals.

If you enjoyed reading about "50 Beowulf build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dirtyjim
January 7, 2010, 08:57 PM
have you tried any of the barrel makers? i would try contacting pac-nor & mcgowen first.

Bullnettles
January 8, 2010, 05:58 PM
Thank you, but neither of those make them from what I could find. Any other suggestions?

janobles14
January 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
what platform?

LeonCarr
January 8, 2010, 06:44 PM
If you are wanting a thumper AR cartridge, you might go for a .458 SOCOM or .450 Bushmaster for easier availability of brass, bullets, and barrels. I think the only source for .50 Beowulf brass is Alexander Arms.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

dirtyjim
January 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
evidently alexander arms charges a license fee to have one of their reamers ground so the barrels aren't readily available. i know i've seen the uppers at midway & cabelas for aroun $650
taken from their website
"Are reamers available for the Beowulf® and/or the Grendel®?

Absolutely but both cartridges (and reamers ) are proprietary property of Alexander Industries Inc. and protected under
Federal US Law. In order to purchase a reamer, the purchaser must contact Alexander Industries (contact@alexanderarms.com)
and request a license. It is a simple process and for most applications it is a royalty free license – that is there is no cost.
Once the license has been issued, simply contact the reamer manufacturer, they will confirm the license and sell you the
requested reamer. We work with many manufacturers – both large high volume manufacturers and many small custom shops.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us."

rogertc1
January 8, 2010, 07:08 PM
Go here..remember there is a loooong waiting time for ammo and uppers.
http://www.50beowulf.com/bboard/index.php
I have had one since 2004. You will have to do some milling on the upper. Why not just cut the barrell down?
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/rogertc1/Boewulf.jpg

jmorris
January 8, 2010, 08:03 PM
If you are wanting a thumper AR cartridge, you might go for a .458 SOCOM or .450 Bushmaster for easier availability of brass

+1 the 458 socom uses standard mags and has a much larger range of bullet weights than the 450 or 50.

dirtyjim
January 8, 2010, 10:42 PM
sounds like there should be some 50 cal wildcats for the ar.
now if you was to buy a 50cal barrel blank from mcgowen or montana using a .510 rifle bore instead of the .500 pistol bore like the beowulf. then take a .375 ruger case & shorten it to around 1.65" then cut a new rebated rim at .473" like the 450 bushmaster so the alexander ams people cant say its a copy of the beowulf then have a reamer ground basically the same as the beowulf but for a .510 bore. case capacity should be almost identical so you could use beowulf loading data & you could shoot anything from .300 grain barnes flat noses to 600grain monolithics & maybe even surpluss 50bmg bullets, but you would have to single load those.

there was also a 50 cal ar-15 wildcat based on the 500 jeffey case

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
January 9, 2010, 12:42 PM
wouldn't .510 bore constitute a DD?

dirtyjim
January 9, 2010, 01:20 PM
wouldn't .510 bore constitute a DD?

no, the groove diameter is .510 the actual bore diamter is .500
i guess i should have been more specific.
50 cal pistols use a .500 groove diameter barrel & a .495 bore diameter

Bullnettles
January 9, 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies, and now I will look into the 458. I just wanted to have the Grendel and Beowulf. I'm already in the 50 club (BP :) ) so I guess it might be worth a look-see. Does the upper have to be milled out for the 458 SOCOM? If I still go with the BW, I would be willing to cut the barrel, but don't want the weight of a BB.

TIMC
January 9, 2010, 08:31 PM
Any particullar reason you don't want a complete upper? I bought my upper from midwayusa and then bought the lower and flash hider from Umlaut arms. I am very happy with it. I changed the hand guard out for a Yankee Hill quad rail, added Brownell's rail covers and riser, Warn scope rings, and the scope is a Burris Signature Safari 1.5-5x32mm. All the detail work I did myself and Canyon Sporting arms threadded the barrel for me.
The rifle turned out great and very accurate, I have take quite a few pigs with it over the last couple of seasons and recently I dropped this cull buck with a neck shot at 140 yards.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Beowulfbuckdec212009.jpg?t=1263087058

I also just recently picked up a Grendel, you should get the Wulf so you can have the pair!

Bullnettles
January 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
I already bought the striped upper and like to build things, haha

donald150
January 10, 2010, 08:45 PM
I have been dead set on getting the .458 Socom but nobody has the brass in stock right now and that worries me. That is how I ran across this thread I was researching the Beowulf and 450 bushmaster again.

Man, I really want the 458 Socom :(

Bullnettles
January 11, 2010, 10:51 PM
Were you planning on building it or buying the full upper? It seems to be whichever barrel/bolt I find first gets the contract :)

Bullnettles
July 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
Sorry about the thread revival, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Have any of you bought a Bushmaster (instead of a Beowulf?) and been pleased with it? My uncle bought one, loves his and is saving his brass for me. Just want to know if it's a good upper to buy when they go on sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "50 Beowulf build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!