What's your caliber?

PDA

Enachos
January 8, 2010, 12:39 PM
I was just curious as to who prefers the .40 over the .45 and vice versa. Not trying to start a caliber war. The reason I'm wondering this is because I'm mainly a .40 S&W fan but I've just been looking for reasons to purchase a 1911... Convince me...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your caliber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fumbler
January 8, 2010, 01:02 PM
Just buy a 1911 in 40S&W if you like the 40 that much.

Problem solved.

okespe04
January 8, 2010, 01:04 PM
Just go buy a 1911. It will speak for itself once it is in your hands.

Oldnoob
January 8, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm a 40 and 9 fan. I would pick up a 45, but the larger size grip just push me away every time. 1911 is the only platform so far that fits ok in my hand.

General Geoff
January 8, 2010, 02:08 PM
I like .40S&W as well, and I like 1911s. As Fumbler points out, I picked up a 1911 chambered in .40S&W. Problem solved. :)

Enachos
January 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
The thing is though that I'd like to add a .45 to my little collection... any reasons that i should or shouldn't make the switch?

okespe04
January 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
More guns = Good. I think most people here will agree.

Just One Shot
January 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
1911 pffftt!

:neener:

David E
January 8, 2010, 03:54 PM
I am a 9mm and .40 fan. I would pick up a 45, but the larger size grip just push me away every time. 1911 is the only platform so far that fits ok in my hand.

Um, you are aware that the 1911 that "fits ok in your hand" is chambered in .45, right?

Gryffydd
January 8, 2010, 03:55 PM
I think what he's saying is that of .45ACP handguns, the 1911 is the only one so far that fits in his had.

David E
January 8, 2010, 03:55 PM
The thing is though that I'd like to add a .45 to my little collection... any reasons that i should or shouldn't make the switch?

Ammo costs more, if that matters.

MTO
January 8, 2010, 03:56 PM
I have a subjective preference for .45ACP over .40S&W based on the recoil characteristics. I think of the .40S&W as flippy--like 9mm Luger out of a subcompact but more so. I don't get that same impression from .45ACP even when shooting a lightweight, alloy-framed 1911. I acknowledge that this may be mostly in my head.

I hope someday to train to be more accustomed to shooting .40S&W when time and ammo availability permits.

mnhntr
January 8, 2010, 03:58 PM
In an auto platform I am a 45acp fan, but in the revolver its the 357mag.

cesarv
January 8, 2010, 04:09 PM

Go ahead and buy the 1911. You won't regret it. Despite what a lot of people think about Kimber, I went ahead and bought a Target II. I absolutely love that gun. It feels right in my hands, and I had always been a 9mm fan.

mljdeckard
January 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
You do realize that there's no way this won't become a caliber war, right?

I have kind of run out of reasons to use .40. I did for a while, but I think I feel that it is too in-between. Meaning, the .45 has a slight advantage for the amount of cm3 of tissue damage it causes, and the 9mm has higher capacity if I wanted more shots. Over time, I became more confident in my shooting skills and decided that I could do the job with a single-stack gun. In addition to this, pretty much all the guns I have tried in .40 AND the comparable .45 model, the .40 has the same felt recoil, if not a bit snappier.

The only thing in ten years that has made me think about the .40 again is that it appears there is lower demand for it in a supply crisis. There is a little pile of it sitting lonely on the shelves at the sporting goods stores.

Lv4snobrdg
January 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
my decision is one of a patriotic and efficacy influence.

Don't really care about the cost/availability of ammo. I have a box of Black Talons for anyone that feels like coming into my home uninvited. Buy most of my ammo at the always present gun shows and the range as necessary.

I like the 40 and tried to talk my wife into an M&P in 40 cal, but she wanted a 45. Thats why I love her!

rellascout
January 8, 2010, 04:31 PM
9mm and 45 ACP

NMGonzo
January 8, 2010, 04:36 PM
I want a top for my 1911 in .40

Marlin 45 carbine
January 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm lucky enough to have pistols from .32acp to .45acp suited for different purposes. my carry is usually a Makarov but may be depending on circumstances a .32acp up to the .45acp or in between them a hi-cap .380acp, 9mm hi-cap or .357 mag with hot loads.
I favor my brought back from 'nam 1911 I've worked over some.

bestseller92
January 8, 2010, 04:45 PM
My overall "favorite" auto pistol caliber is probably the .40 .

Fiv3r
January 8, 2010, 04:47 PM
7.62 Nagant. I like loading dinky odd looking cartridges into my gun one at a time. What, you mall ninjas need more than .30 cal to get the job done?:neener::evil:

Actually, like a lot of folks I have moved up in caliber size as I shot more. Started at .38, went to 9mm, bumped up to .357 (fun but almost too much FLASH BANG), tried .45 acp and fell in love.
Not as snappy as .40 and offers plenty of THUMP on target. Not as cost effective to shoot but what is these days? Plus, they are starting to make their way back to the shelves, and not just at the gouging sporting good stores.

I'd say got for the .45:) .45acp is an American classic. Whether you get one in a bonified real deal 1911, a poly frame, or what have you, the .45acp is a good ol' fashioned American bravado caliber of putting a nice big stick in hand held form. ("I'll see you high capacity and raise you bullet the size of your thumb:neener:) The .40 is nice. The .40 shoots well. The .40 is cheaper to shoot....but at the end of the day it's just NOT a .45;)

NMGonzo
January 8, 2010, 04:50 PM
The .45 is a Cadillac.

The .40 is a BMW.

The .357 Sig is Porsche.

Blues Brother
January 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
I still think the 9 is way underrated as a caliber.

Blues Brother
January 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
mall ninjas?????

CWL
January 8, 2010, 05:12 PM
Why not make a full compromise and get a M1911 in 10mm?

Blues Brother
January 8, 2010, 05:15 PM
hmmmmm............

minutemen1776
January 8, 2010, 06:25 PM
Though it wasn't an option, my favorite is 9mm, for one basic reason. That is, I can consistently shoot 9mm well, regardless of the amount of shooting I get to do. I used to shoot more frequently, and in those days I could shoot larger calibers just as well. Now, though, life doesn't afford me the luxury of time all that often, and my trigger time isn't always there. But even in that circumstance, I can still accurately and reliably shoot 9mm, and that means more to me than a bigger slug.

Dr.Mall Ninja
January 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
I think Jeff Cooper said something to effect, that 40 caliber is carried by people who are embarrassed to carry 9mm's but cant quite handle a 45.

spaladino
January 8, 2010, 07:05 PM
Honestly, I find it odd I would need to convince someone who already owns and enjoys guns to buy a new one.... my wife would love you!

I have a passion for 40's, but I've always loved 45's. I also love the more Ruben-esque women, the one's with some meat on the bones. Maybe it's the sight of the short, plump, and round bullet that gets me running...

Anyway...

The 40 is ballistically superior on paper, and according to statistics, a better bad-guy stopper, typically a higher magazine count, but as someone has already noted, the recoil is a bit more snappy.

The 45 has very good ballistics due to a better coeffiecient, unfortunately it's loaded at a significantly lower SAAMI pressure than the 40, and therefore doesn't take advantage of it. The recoil is more of a push than snap, easier to double-tap (for me at least) accurately. Honestly, I don't think the statistics correctly establish an accurate benchmark as far as the 45 as a bad-guy stopper. I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life on either...

Get the 45, and make it a Colt!

scoutsabout
January 8, 2010, 07:10 PM
The 1911, chambered in .45 ACP, has been going strong for 100 years.

...and you've got questions?!

Get one, genius. :scrutiny:.................... :D

Gryffydd
January 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
The 40 is ballistically superior on paper
That's news to me! The .40 has a lot of advantages over the .45, but horsepower isn't one of them.
The 45 has very good ballistics due to a better coeffiecient
The top bullet weights in both calibers have VERY similar BCs.

Strahley
January 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
I've shot all of the "main" calibers (9mm, .40, .45) and now all I own is 9mm. All regular handgun calibers suck anyway, so I may as well go with the one that is cheaper and I can carry more of. I'd rather spend more money on my long guns anyway!

19-3Ben
January 8, 2010, 07:18 PM
I think Jeff Cooper said something to effect, that 40 caliber is carried by people who are embarrassed to carry 9mm's but cant quite handle a 45.

In general I admire Jeff Cooper, but if he really said that, he made an absurd assertion.

I like .40cal. The .40S&W drives heavier bullets than a 9mm to higher velocities and is 1mm wider. But, a 14+1 gun doesn't have to handle like a 2x4 the way a .45 would. Practice ammo is also a good deal cheaper than .45.

I also loe .45 though and actually plan to get a .45 as an HD gun to backup the 12ga. My choice will be the S&W 4566tsw.

Strahley
January 8, 2010, 07:27 PM

I agree with what Ben said, that's a ridiculous statement

Why would anyone be embarrassed to carry a 9mm? If we were limited to FMJ sure, but that's not the case

In similar sized guns, I find .45 to be more pleasant to shoot than a .40. My old Glock 30 was fun to shoot, but I didn't get rid of it because I "couldn't handle the .45"

.357 magnum
January 8, 2010, 07:38 PM
I like three Calibers: the 9mm, the .40 and the .45.---- .45 is Always worth having:evil: Excellent defensive Caliber and Easy to learn to shoot Accurately-Especially in a 1911 Platform.

The Best to All!

Frank

Manco
January 8, 2010, 08:00 PM

I think that a .45 is slightly easier to handle than a .40, actually--less "snappy" probably because of lower operating pressure and a different acceleration curve. Perhaps Mr. Cooper, with all due respect, simply can't handle a .40. :D:neener:

LoneStarWings
January 8, 2010, 08:05 PM
Just wait for a good 1911 in .40. STI makes a few. The Springfield EMP is nice. Rumor has it that S&W itself is going to make a 1911 in .40 next year. I have no use for the .45 acp.

Blues Brother
January 8, 2010, 08:22 PM
I like .357 too. I think Indiana Jones used one.

Enachos
January 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
The reason I'm looking for a .45 is because I always hear people talking about it having less felt recoil than a .40 which can always be a good thing. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the .40 but hey if a bigger round can be shot a bit easier then why not, right?

Blues Brother
January 8, 2010, 08:34 PM
9mm is affordable, I like that too.

O_Blade_O
January 8, 2010, 08:36 PM
9mm... x21 :)

Enachos
January 8, 2010, 08:39 PM
I really like the 9mm too but overall I just felt more confident with the .40

Blues Brother
January 8, 2010, 08:43 PM
heck, I feel confident with a .380 I just like 9 best cuz its affordable.

okespe04
January 8, 2010, 09:00 PM
9mm is my favorite cartridge. That does not mean I don't own a 1911 .45, a Ruger gp100 .357, and a ruger LCP .380. I just don't stock much as ammo for them. My go to pistol is my Glock 19 so that's what I stock the most ammo for. Go get a 1911 in .45 they are really cool, I really like the size of the hole on the end of the thing. Its menacing:evil:

Enachos
January 8, 2010, 09:04 PM
Ok then... so I will. I'm thinking a Smith and Wesson or a Para Ordnance

okespe04
January 8, 2010, 09:28 PM
Those are a little rich for my blood, but yeah, knock yourself out. I don't think anybody would steer you away from either of those. Both are known for making high quality pistols. Now you just have to decide which one and what features you want. My only recommendation is to stay away from the ambi safety if you ever want to pack it. I hear those can get switched off.

Strahley
January 8, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'd go with a S&W

Manco
January 8, 2010, 09:53 PM
The 1911, chambered in .45 ACP, has been going strong for 100 years.

Only 100 years? To me the only REAL .45 is the .45 Long Colt. ;)

Anyway, as fun as these caliber wars are--and I always seem to be involved in one--truth be told, there's not a huge difference between 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. :what: Some people naturally tend to gravitate toward the extremes regarding performance, namely higher magazine capacity versus greater wounding potential per round, and those people often believe that .40 S&W is pointless. Others tend toward compromise regarding endless, age-old controversies that will never be resolved, which is probably one major reason .40 S&W has been such a success (three is the perfect number--one to cover each extreme and one more to split the difference).

Whatever the true potential of each caliber is, one has to deal with whatever reality places before them, in addition to other practical factors (e.g. cost, recoil, effect on grip size, artificial 10-round limits imposed by law, etc.). It's better to choose the specific loads that will achieve the desired effects, regardless of caliber, and see what options that gives you in other areas according to caliber and the preferred handgun design (the practical factors mentioned above)--anything else is simply bias for one reason or another. Some biases are alright, like preferring larger rounds, but many others are just silly. Also keep in mind that each load in any caliber is a separate design, and some of the basic JHP designs, for example, may work better at some sizes and velocities than others.

The reasons I chose .40 S&W for my primary self-defense handgun are: living in California I can't have more than 10 rounds in a magazine anyway (I should move back to America while that's still legal!), negating that advantage of 9mm; .40 S&W's recoil does not noticeably affect my aim or followup shots; in loads where the expanded JHPs were of equal diameter, .40 S&W penetrated several inches deeper than 9mm, and in loads that got equal penetration, .40 S&W had a slightly larger diameter (not much difference, but these are still points in its favor, even over 9mm+P); there were handguns that fit the small hands of some members of my family and could still hold 10 rounds, which is an advantage over .45 ACP; I secretly wanted to (due to bias) but could not find a comparison that proved definitively that .45 ACP was ballistically superior (I could get a wider wound channel but would have to sacrifice penetration for it, and I favor penetration), so that was pretty much a wash; and finally .40 S&W is less expensive than .45 ACP (not a huge deal or else 9mm might have won out anyway).

I wouldn't fault anybody for choosing 9mm or .45 ACP--both venerable old calibers that have survived this long for good reasons--if either were a better fit for them, but .40 S&W fits right in between them and I'm one of those people who try to avoid extremes when given an effective option anyway. That said, at the end of the day, there is just not that much difference between these calibers. :)

Manco
January 8, 2010, 11:10 PM
mall ninjas?????

Pretty much--I sure felt like one trying to choose between these similar calibers. :o

Why not make a full compromise and get a M1911 in 10mm?

I know what you mean, but I like how you characterize this as a compromise. :D

I like .357 too. I think Indiana Jones used one.

Now don't start that again! :rolleyes:

The reason I'm looking for a .45 is because I always hear people talking about it having less felt recoil than a .40 which can always be a good thing. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the .40 but hey if a bigger round can be shot a bit easier then why not, right?

Well, keep in mind that shooting .45 ACP in a larger, heavier pistol--quite a common case--is bound to feel less "snappy" than a .40 S&W in a smaller, lighter pistol. In the same basic platform the difference is not as pronounced, although .40 S&W still has a more sudden recoil impulse. Then again, so does 9mm, only slightly lighter.

Anyway, I'm going to be somewhat of a hypocrite here and suggest that if you do buy a 1911 (like most everybody does or wants to at some point ;)), then it might as well be a .45 ACP because that's the classic caliber for the gun--there's that bias I was talking about. If you're just buying the gun to use as a tool or toy (as I was considering before), then that would be one thing, but if you want a 1911 because you want a 1911, then it should be in .45 ACP. That's what I would do, and I imagine that someday I'll buy a Single Action Army in (what else?) .45 LC (of course!).

NinjaFeint
January 8, 2010, 11:20 PM
I am a 9mm guy for my autos and 357 for my revolvers. Out of 40 and 45 I prefer 45

Hatterasguy
January 8, 2010, 11:31 PM
.50AE, game over.:evil:

Rodentman
January 8, 2010, 11:52 PM
In autos I shoot .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, and 10mm. Frankly the only reason I don't have a .45 is that I don't have enough room on my reloading bench for any more dies, bullets, and brass.

Sooner or later I will get a .45 but once I got into the 10mm, I'm lovin' that.

orionengnr
January 9, 2010, 12:06 AM
.45 acp is my caliber.
However, I own others. Most of them start with a 4, though...

mm6mm6
January 9, 2010, 12:12 AM
.38 Super

Taurus_9mm
January 9, 2010, 12:16 AM
I like the 9mm & 45 ACP equally. :)

M&PVolk
January 9, 2010, 01:13 AM
Give me the .40 every time. Love the balance of round count, smaller grip size and power. Also, it is a good gateway into the 10mm, a superior round to them all.

smcd1983
January 9, 2010, 04:24 AM
.40 s&w

crashbuell
January 9, 2010, 10:55 AM
I like shooting my Springfield GI because it has a very mild, smooth recoil. It's for "chilled-out shooting" for me. On the other hand, I like shooting my Sig 226 in 40 cal or my FNP 40 for when I want to put a little more zap in my shooting (and less-often with the mag changes!). I think both calibers have their merrits. I think it was stated earlier though, just buy a 1911 in 40 cal. The bullets are cheaper than 45 and the 1911 platform is THE quintessential handgun platform. I have small hands, but my 1911 fits my hand and palm like a glove. It's perfect.

Patrice
January 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hhmmm...10mm.--Patrice

Blues Brother
January 9, 2010, 11:09 PM
I like 9MM. good caliber. affordable to shoot. and fun. effective. lotsa folks diss it, but I think its got a bad rap for nothing. its a darn good caliber IMO.

Redneck with a 40
January 9, 2010, 11:23 PM
I'm a 40 guy and I think the XD/XD-M is one of the top platforms in this calber.

omega5
January 10, 2010, 06:14 PM
1. .45 ACP
2. 357 Sig
3. .357 Mag.
In that order.
Dano

2ndAmFan
January 11, 2010, 01:39 AM
In autopistols I like the .357 Sig followed by the 9x19 best of the guns I've owned but my next pistol will be a 10mm. I fired one a friend owns and was impressed, both with accuracy and power.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's your caliber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!