Preparing my commemorative for storage

PDA

sta500rdr
January 8, 2010, 06:41 PM
So, for christmas I received a Henry Golden Boy BSA Centennial commemorative rifle. Pretty sweet. While I never plan on shooting this rifle I need to prepare it spend its life in darkness in the corner of my safe. Here is my question to you all.

What the heck should I do to preserve this?
Should I run a few patches with some RIG on them through the barrel?
Should I RIG the action?
What should I do to the brass so it wont tarnish?
Should I store it in a gun sock?
Should I store it just out in the open in the safe?

Basically any info you collectors have for me is appreciated. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Preparing my commemorative for storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
actionflies
January 8, 2010, 06:54 PM
Why have a nice gun and let someone enjoy it instead of you. Sad....

CoRoMo
January 8, 2010, 06:55 PM
One word... cosmoline.:)

Actually, you wouldn't have to get that drastic about it. RIG it up, sock it up, and forget about it.

sta500rdr
January 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
It is not that I wont enjoy it, its just that I won't be shooting it. This wasn't given to me as a shooter. If I wanted to shoot a .22 there are plenty of others that I would choose to use instead.

actionflies
January 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
In that case, just coat the barrel in gun oil and check it regularly.

Maj Dad
January 9, 2010, 12:33 AM
I used WD-40 on guns stored for a year while I was in Korea, but I couldn't get RIG and I was in a hurry (zero damage/rust, too, I might add). But RIG is available again from Shootin' Accessories ( http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=660&zenid=a4846f2a45f2ab15b5e4e541e1427853 ) and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you want it protected, RIG it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Preparing my commemorative for storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!