Steyr Scout?

PDA

dmancornell
January 8, 2010, 09:39 PM
Anyone here has experience with a Steyr Scout?

I'm in the market for a scout rifle... wondering about how the Steyr handles, how the recoil feels with such a lightweight rifle, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr Scout?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ifit
January 9, 2010, 06:05 AM
i really wanted to get this but, got bit by the cz bug. the rifles is really light, it really kicks even on the rest. shouldering it might have some real kick. my friend has shot this at 100 yards with very good accuracy wanted to post the pics, but he could not find his targets at the time. im actually torn between the steyr/cz750 sniper/cz urban counter sniper rifle 16" barrel:banghead:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=409451&highlight=steyr+scout

waterhouse
January 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
Recoil is similar to any lightweight gun, maybe a tad less than some, in my opinion. I think there is less felt recoil when fired from field positions than from the bench.

I think they are well made. Fairly accurate, but like most really thin barrels it will string a bit after 4-5 rounds as it heats up.

If you can find one of the discontinued Ruger Frontiers that may also fit your purposes (lightweight, short, .308, forward mounted scope) at a much cheaper price, but you'll lose things like the magazine and the back up sights.

ArmedBear
January 9, 2010, 12:51 PM
Light?

Hell, my .30-06 weighs a lot less with a longer barrel. The only thing light about it is your wallet after you buy it.

The Steyr Scout is truly the greatest gimmick gun in the history of firearms.:)

(No, I am not someone whose most expensive firearm cost 200 bucks. That's not where I'm coming from.)

You can get a standard Steyr for $650 from CDNN right now, or $700 in stainless. The difference in price would leave you a lot of money left over after having a 'smith put on a forward rail, and even iron sights if you think they're important on a modern rifle, instead of a second pre-sighted scope to pop on the rail.

alistaire
January 9, 2010, 03:31 PM
I don't see any Steyr weapons for sale on CDNN. Perhaps I don't know how to look.

ArmedBear
January 9, 2010, 03:39 PM
Download the PDF of their catalog from the website.

Do NOT just click on the PDF link. Do a "save as" and then open it.:)

dmancornell
January 9, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hell, my .30-06 weighs a lot less with a longer barrel. The only thing light about it is your wallet after you buy it.

Which 30-06 rifle is that?

jaro
January 9, 2010, 06:56 PM
I put a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 pistol scope in an Amega scount mount (45 degrees to left with original sights clear) on my (Fulton Armory) 30-06 Garand rebuild. If I had done this years ago, it would be the only rifle I owned.

Jack

ArmedBear
January 9, 2010, 06:58 PM
The one in question is a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, 6 3/4 lbs. 7 1/2 lbs. as I have it rigged with a scope and rings.

For the record, I kinda like IER scopes. With the right gun, they can be really easy to point-shoot. I'm just not sold on the "Scout Rifle" doo-dads, and certainly not for that money.

How does the Steyr handle? Well, it doesn't feel like an upland shotgun, let's just say that. Or a Featherweight. But it does handle better than a .308 Saiga...:D

waterhouse
January 9, 2010, 11:16 PM
FWIW, I agree with AB on the price. I got mine super cheap and sold it to my brother (who only owns one centerfire rifle, and loves it) but I'd never pay near what they tend to sell for.

Gelgoog
January 9, 2010, 11:45 PM
I think they were a great rifle, had one, but couldn't justify keeping it. If it were in the $700 range it would be a great buy, but when the are $1700+ pfffft, no I don't think so. Sold it and ended up buying a Steyr SBS which works just as well. Although I must say I really like the ergonomics of the Scout.

wlewisiii
January 9, 2010, 11:46 PM
Far better to rebarrel an old Mauser 98 in .308 & stick a scout mount in the rear sight mount. One sling & one bipod later & you've got a better scout rifle for a fraction of the cost. That's my play, at least.

William

Wes Janson
January 10, 2010, 12:04 AM
The one in question is a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, 6 3/4 lbs. 7 1/2 lbs. as I have it rigged with a scope and rings.

For the record, I kinda like IER scopes. With the right gun, they can be really easy to point-shoot. I'm just not sold on the "Scout Rifle" doo-dads, and certainly not for that money.

How does the Steyr handle? Well, it doesn't feel like an upland shotgun, let's just say that. Or a Featherweight. But it does handle better than a .308 Saiga...

Does your Winchester have built-in iron sights that fold out of the way? Or an integral flip-down bipod? Detachable box magazine? Storage for a second box magazine in the stock? Did it come with an integral scope rail?

At 6.75 pounds, that Winchester is still heavier than a stock Steyr Scout. And I don't know what your definition of handling quality is, but the Scout sure as hell points and handles far better for me than most hunting rifles.

The price does give one pause, but quality is almost always worth it in the long run.

NelsErik
January 10, 2010, 02:00 AM
Check out the Savage Scout with the Accu-trigger and Accu-stock. My dad uses his as a back country woods/mountain gun.

Molasses
January 10, 2010, 09:42 AM
Might take a look at this thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5853625#post5853625
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like mine. Recoil hasn't been an issue, but I've got a number of lightweight rifles, so my experience/opinion may be a bit off the norm (See my sig line).

Didn't care for the price, even after buying it used at the low end of what I've seen them going for. 2/3 the amount and it wouldn't be an issue, but... The scope it came with wasn't an ideal fit for my purposes, so it got replaced with a Burris 1.5-4X pistol scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Steyr Scout?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!