Dry-firing: Snap cap or not?


PDA

Bacchus
January 20, 2003, 05:22 PM
OK, I know that I need to start dry-firing. But I've been putting it off because I don't have any snap caps nor do I have the sealant to make my own.

So, I'll put the question out--should I use snap caps when dry-firing a revolver?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dry-firing: Snap cap or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Butch
January 20, 2003, 05:26 PM
I use them but realy dont think they are needed , I use them just in case.;)

MikeK
January 20, 2003, 05:43 PM
I didn't vote because you need an 'it depends' category. For centerfire - never. For rimfire - always. I use those yellow drywall screw holder thingies.

Standing Wolf
January 20, 2003, 05:52 PM
Dry shooting is an essential part of my shooting regimen, and dummy ammunition is cheap insurance on expensive firearms.

I use plastic fake .22s, and made up center fire dummy ammunition with empty cases, small sections of pencil eraser instead of primers, and left over bullets.

macavada
January 20, 2003, 06:18 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I had heard something about dry firing causing a "burr" on the firing pin. Has anyone heard about this before? When I was younger I just dryfired without thinking about it. I recently bought a Beretta 86 and got some snap caps for it. I don't know if I need them or not. Any opinions?

XLMiguel
January 20, 2003, 06:29 PM
Cheap insurance, I use 'em. Most modern handguns don't need them (and say as much in the manual), but what if one of yours is one of the exceptions. Beretta Tomcats come to mind, as do some H&K USP compacts. Besides, they're useful when training newbies in the manual of arms and stuff like that.

Mac, I don't know about any 'burrs', it would seem that there would need to be some rubbing/friction/misalignment to cause one that goes beyond simple dry firing.

Bainx
January 20, 2003, 06:29 PM
Depends on what the manufacturer states is acceptable.

With a Glock, fire away all you want.

Keltec, noooooooooooo dry fire.

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 06:30 PM
I use snap caps 98% of the time, the other 2% is when I forget :what: $4.00 is just cheap insurance vs. potential breakage.

J.Gillespie
January 20, 2003, 07:07 PM
I dry fire my G21 and PM9 all the time without thinking twice. I have done that at least 500 times or so. Never a problem. Now my ruger 22/45 OHH No!

It seems like 50% say never dry fire and the other 50% say go for it. I am a depends on what type of gun guy. So there's my take on it.

PigPen
January 20, 2003, 11:02 PM
I once called the Springfield custom shop with that question. Debbie, the original one, told me that dry firing any 1911 type pistol was harmless.

I have since dry fired (without ?caps) my 1911s many many times without apparent damage.

Revolvers I am not experienced enough with to say with authority but I do it.

Pigpen

WhoKnowsWho
January 21, 2003, 12:01 AM
I would use snap caps if I had some but I haven't gotten around to getting any so the Glock is the only gun I dry fire.

Kevlarman
January 21, 2003, 05:24 AM
I used to when I dry fired my shotgun, but I don't realy play with the anymore. As for my Glock, no, I've never used snap caps in it.

Climb14er
January 21, 2003, 06:18 AM
my 9mm and .45 ACP's. Inexpensive protection.

Kahr carrier
January 21, 2003, 06:40 AM
I never use a snap cap with a Glock ,But I use one with everything else.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Dry-firing: Snap cap or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!