Front Slide Serrations

PDA

Vonderek
January 9, 2010, 04:27 PM
A recent 1911 thread got me to thinking about front slide serrations. In addition to many of the newer 1911 offerings by various manufacturers I see them on SIGs, XD's, etc. I personally dislike them and think they spoil the aesthetic lines of pistols and have no use for them. I do understand the practical application of front serrations in the tactical sense. My question is, how many here actually use them (front serrations) when they train and feel that it is a necessary requirement for the modern pistol?

If you enjoyed reading about "Front Slide Serrations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rellascout
January 9, 2010, 04:36 PM
I do not prefer them but if they are there they are not a deal killer for me. Certainly did not stop me from buying this. I cannot think of a time where I felt like man I am glad those front serrations where there or I would not have been able to clear the weapon etc if you know what I mean. I don't like man hand near the muzzle because I like all my fingers. :) I do know that there are people who use them for a press check.

On the other hand some people consider them a must have. YMMV

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/IMG_0078.jpg

Manco
January 9, 2010, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't mind if they were there, but I can't think of a situation in which I would ever use them. Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance here, but why would I ever want to place my hand so close to the muzzle when I could grip the rear of the slide instead?

rcmodel
January 9, 2010, 04:53 PM
I hate them!
But they make the holster makers happy!
Nothing like having a dull wood rasp going in & out of your holster every time you draw & re-holster.

I would not own a 1911 with front serrations.
And they are not needed to do a press-check if you don't run full-length guide rods.

rc

rellascout
January 9, 2010, 05:02 PM
RC has it right. Some people like them and feel they make it easier to press check your weapon.

possum
January 9, 2010, 05:07 PM
my guns are tools, i don't care what they look like as long as they function. i don't mind serrations on the front, if a gun has em i use em, when doing press checks and that is all.

Strahley
January 9, 2010, 05:39 PM
I don't need/like them, so I will skip on a gun with them

REAPER4206969
January 9, 2010, 05:45 PM
Love'em!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/REAPER1911-A1/SW1911-5.jpg

Manco
January 9, 2010, 05:50 PM
RC has it right. Some people like them and feel they make it easier to press check your weapon.

Oh, I didn't even know that there was a specialized technique for doing press checks. :o I just pull back the slide a little the usual way (grasped from the rear as if I were going to rack it). Come to think of it, I have seen people grasp the front of the slide to do press checks before, but I assumed that was how they always handled the slide (and that they were weird :p). Ya learn something new every day. I think I'll stick with my current technique, though.

mnhntr
January 9, 2010, 06:12 PM
I am indifferent on them as I own both but I guess if I had a choice I would rather have them then not.

Quack
January 9, 2010, 06:24 PM
^ same here

EddieNFL
January 9, 2010, 06:27 PM
I have them and I don't. I've never had a problem press checking or loading without them.

EddieNFL
January 9, 2010, 06:30 PM
Come to think of it, I have seen people grasp the front of the slide to do press checks before, but I assumed that was how they always handled the slide (and that they were weird).

That's how I do it...from the bottom. Also load that way unless speed reloading; then I use the SS.
That should start a couple of discussions.

Vern Humphrey
January 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
But they make the holster makers happy!
Nothing like having a dull wood rasp going in & out of your holster every time you draw & re-holster.
That's about it.

deputy tom
January 9, 2010, 07:52 PM
I dislike them for what they do to my holsters,underwear (mex carry) and would gladly trade my SA 1911 Loaded for a Mil-spec just to get away from them.Really.tom.

mljdeckard
January 9, 2010, 08:06 PM
I didn't demand them on my Kimber, but I do use them.

MrIzhevsk
January 9, 2010, 08:11 PM
How much would it cost to have Springfield make a custom gun with all the features of the loaded, MINUS the front serrations? I believe that you can request them to not put the word "custom" on the slide also. Is this correct?

EddieNFL
January 9, 2010, 08:13 PM
Don't know about Springfield, but it's a $50 option with Nighthawk.

mesinge2
January 9, 2010, 08:20 PM
I am indifferent on them as I own both but I guess if I had a choice I would rather have them then not.

I am in this group as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Front Slide Serrations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!