February Rimfire Match

PDA

Maverick223
January 9, 2010, 04:39 PM
This one is open to any and EVERY 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including 22 Mag, 17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag. This match is meant to be challenging and FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle.

You may enter with multiple rifles.

There is Two Optics Divisions:
->50 feet for iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots
->50 feet for any Scope or Magnified sighting device.
Please note the change in distance. This change is to ensure that everyone that wants to participate, and has access to an indoor/outdoor range of at least 50' in length, is afforded the opportunity.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used, all .17cal rifles should be classified as "Unlimited Target")
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles)

Target Class can be shot from any position, Sporting Class is shot from any unsupported position. When you are satisfied you've done your best post, or PM me a photo of your target to me for scoring with the following information. The Targets Are Linked Below...

50' Non-Magnified Target (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=112481&d=1262675569): 1 shot per target (animal). Scored as 1pt. for any shot that touches the animal outside of the target, and 2pts. for breaking the first ring, 3pts. for breaking the second ring, 4pts. for breaking the bullseye, 5pts. for any shot that lies completely inside the bulls.

50' Magnified Target (http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/UKBenchrest.jpg): 1 shot per target (sighter targets are not scored). Scored as indicated on the target (breaking the line indicates a hit). A larger HQ version of this target is included below in the attachments.

All submissions due by the end of the day on February 28th, 2010.

Shoot straight and more importantly...Have fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "February Rimfire Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rmcelwee
January 11, 2010, 03:28 AM
Edit:
Alternate target removed. Thanks...

TIRED TRAVELER
January 11, 2010, 07:50 AM
I am interested in knowing the dimensions of the paper target we are printing off the site is when you have one that is commercially printed. :scrutiny:

When I print off the site the target seems too small at 8 1/2' x 11".

JIM

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 12:24 PM
I added a PDF version of the magnified target as well.

I am interested in knowing the dimensions of the paper target we are printing off the site is when you have one that is commercially printed.Size it as big as you can for 8.5x11in. paper.

:)

TIRED TRAVELER
January 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
I am interested in knowing the dimensions of the paper target we are printing off the site is when you have one that is commercially printed.
Size it as big as you can for 8.5x11in. paper.

I asked because your target ends up smaller :barf: than the NRA target for indoor, of old. :cuss:

I don't guess it really matters though if everyone is using the same size target.

Just kidding, JIM :D:D

rmcelwee
January 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
I added a PDF version of the magnified target as well.
Yes, that one works much better for me. I'll delete my post so there is no confusion.
Thanks!

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 04:32 PM
Yes, that one works much better for me. I'll delete my post so there is no confusion. Thanks!Great, glad it works better, and makes scoring easier.

I asked because your target ends up smaller than the NRA target for indoor, of old.Oh, I follow you...I don't know how big the original one is (I don't live in the UK :neener:), it is one that someone sent and requested at the beginning of last month's match.

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 04:34 PM
Oh, and for the next logical question (that hasn't yet been asked)...what is the benefit of a 10x score vs. a 10...tie breakers (10X>10). :D

purchawk
January 11, 2010, 06:50 PM
I suggested this target, and it is supposed to fill an 8-1/2 X 11 sheet, so use the pdf version.

The outermost 5 ring is 1". The 7 ring (just inside the thick, black ring) is a half inch. The 10 ring is only 1/16", so it is a real challenge. A .22 slug will take out both 9 and 10 rings if you can hit the bull dead center, but you can score a 10 by just touching the tiny 10 ring, with the outer edge of your bullet hole all the way out to the 7 ring.

The real challenge is to keep up your concentration for 25 targets.

It comes from the British benchrest association, and it is shot there at longer distance with super-accurate guns that are almost screwed down to a bench.

It's a lot more fun to shoot with only a simple rest and guns that don't cost thousands.

purchawk
January 11, 2010, 07:02 PM
Since my indoor range is snow-bound at the moment, and it may not be open until after Feb, I shot the miniature version of this target (5/8" bull instead of 1") on my basement 10 meter airgun range with a .177 adult airgun.

JUST FOR FUN!

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 07:10 PM
That's good shooting Purchawk, and a great way to keep shooting when you can't get out. What is the equivalent distance for your target (50ft?), compared to the large one?

purchawk
January 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
Sorry, bad image. I'll try again.

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
Sorry, bad image. I'll try again.I can make it out...but I believe the best way to photograph/scan a target is by using something that is high-contrast (red, green, et cetera) as a background so the bullet-holes are visible.

purchawk
January 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm not great at math, but the 10 meter distance is about 42% of the 50 feet, and the target I shot is about 62% of the full target, so I think that means I was shooting at a target that should have been considerably farther away or considerably smaller in order to duplicate the conditions of the real competition.

I can't get any more distance in my basement, and 10 meters is a common airgun distance (as in the Olympics), so I just shoot for fun and for the great practice. The sight picture and trigger control issues are not much different than for rimfires.

I scale down NRA competition targets and practice on them, such as a 1/2 inch black dot that duplicates the sight picture for the 8 inch black NRA 100 yard small bore target.

And, I have another target that duplicates and sight picture for 50 ft. NRA .22 indoor bullseye competition.

It's a lot better than watching TV!

purchawk
January 11, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it's a poor scan, but I'm just having fun, and I wanted to show what airgunning is like when you can't shoot guns that go bang.

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not great at math, but the 10 meter distance is about 42% of the 50 feet, and the target I shot is about 62% of the full target, so I think that means I was shooting at a target that should have been considerably farther away or considerably smaller in order to duplicate the conditions of the real competition.10M (about 33') is about 66% of 50ft, so your target is pretty close...real close if distance/size is a 1:1 relationship (twice as big of target at twice the distance being the same relative size as the closer smaller target).

purchawk
January 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
I said my math was bad! I should never try to convert meters to yards without using Google.

Maverick223
January 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
I should never try to convert meters to yards without using Google.All hail the Google the great. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/notworthy.gif ...thank you Al Gore. :p

rmcelwee
January 13, 2010, 04:15 PM
Went to the range today and shot the new targets. Was pretty fun.

Robert McElwee - Unlimited/Magnified
Ruger 10/22 with scope and bipod
1/14/10 - 50 feet - 222 points

Geoff Conine - Unlimited/Magnified
1/14/10 - 50 feet - 220 points

Maverick223
January 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
Good shooting from both of you guys.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

dls56
January 15, 2010, 01:19 PM
I really liked the target, contrary to the rules I set up at 52 yards and shot off of Calwell bags on my truck hood (my usual bench, LOL) the wind was light, using Eley club out of a Kimber sporter with a Leupold 3X9X33 EFR I managed a 178 with only 1 10X. It may not sound that great but the target helped me get steadier than I might normally.
Thanks for the target download, and happy shooting to all.

Maverick223
January 15, 2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the target download, and happy shooting to all.No problem, glad the target helped. Give it a try at 50ft. for the match...your score should dramatically improve at that distance.

happygeek
January 17, 2010, 11:15 PM
I took a coworker/buddy to the range with me today. The last thing we did was shoot these at about 50 feet.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/17Janat50ft.jpg

Mine's the one on the left. We were using my 22LR AR, iron sights, unsupported. I didn't see this thread with the target until this evening after our range trip. He beat me in our pistol competitions, but I got him on this one and the one where we did failure drills with the 22LR. Finally found a brand of 22LR that rifle likes too, we fired almost 350 rounds of Winchester HPs with no jams :D I was averaging around 1 jam out of every 50 rounds with Aguila, just barely better with CCI, and Remington was absolutely horrendous.

Maverick223
January 18, 2010, 01:37 AM
Looks good happygeek, make sure and take your buddy to the range with you when you go back out for the match. ;)

happygeek
January 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm sure he'll want to go with me again next time, I brought the 22LR AR, 2 pistols, and ammo, he paid the range fee, bought a couple targets, and got one box of 45 ACP. Good time had by all, though next time I have got to bring more 22.

I must say though, couldn't you have picked a slightly larger target? I noticed in the pics of guys that shot that thing that even a .22 bullet hole covers 3 or 4 of the rings. Either that, or I'd offer the suggestion of using one of those cheap Walmart bullseyes as the official target next month.

Maverick223
January 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
I must say though, couldn't you have picked a slightly larger target?Sure...but what fun would that be. Dontcha' like a good challenge? :D

rmcelwee
January 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
1/14/10 - 50 feet - 220 points

New score for Geoff (I'll hold off on posting a picture of it in case we get a higher score):

1/19/10 - 50 feet - 223 points

FWIW, the best I could do today was 206. Couldn't hit anything...

Maverick223
January 19, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'll hold off on posting a picture of it in case we get a higher scorePost away, we'll take the higher if you do better.

shootr
January 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
Dumb question time...

Okay, so I printed out the pdf of the magnified target and it fills the page and looks great.

However, on the non-magnifed target, I only get 9 little animals on about a 1/2 page -- is that how it's supposed to print? If not - how do I make it print correctly?

Thx in advance!

Maverick223
January 20, 2010, 05:13 PM
However, on the non-magnifed target, I only get 9 little animals on about a 1/2 page -- is that how it's supposed to print? If not - how do I make it print correctly?If you can enlarge it to page size in Paint or another program that allows you to edit. I have a buddy that is working on that...he is using Photoshop to enlarge it, I will post it as soon as he sends it to me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Maverick223
January 20, 2010, 10:19 PM
I think this image should display properly (included below), but let me know if you have any problems seeing or printing the target.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=09b0975b5a&view=att&th=1264e4d252233d86&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

shootr
January 21, 2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks Mav,

Don't mean to be a problem child, but all I see is a red "X". :confused:

Maverick223
January 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
Don't mean to be a problem child, but all I see is a red "X".No problem, I was afraid that might happen, thanks for letting me know. I will upload it to my PhotoBucket account...BRB.

Maverick223
January 21, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hopefully this one will work a little better:
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/FebRFMatch.jpg
Please let me know if this one doesn't work. :)

dubbleA
January 22, 2010, 09:50 PM
I shot a couple of targets today, a 230sumthin and a 240sumthin with a 17hmr. I'll try to get a picture up sometime.

TIRED TRAVELER
January 23, 2010, 08:28 AM
That seems too cruel shooting those helpless innocent little animals.
How about some politicians heads instead? :evil:

:D

Maverick223
January 23, 2010, 11:23 AM
How about some politicians heads instead?You make it (and send it to me) and we'll give it a shot.

TIRED TRAVELER
January 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
I like your pun! :D

Maverick223
January 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
I like your pun!I try. :D

dubbleA
January 25, 2010, 09:11 PM
9 pts :D

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Targets/crittertarget.jpg

Maverick223
January 25, 2010, 09:51 PM
That is just wrong DubbleA, just happened to take out the little critters eyes (save for a single wabbit head) huh? :evil:

dubbleA
January 26, 2010, 02:24 AM
Yeah, the flub was on the first shot and was shocked but went ahead and shot the rest in a fairly rapid session. The eyes have it!:rolleyes:

Maverick223
January 26, 2010, 02:30 AM
Poor bunny is missing a jaw. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/crybaby.gif FWIW, I think you actually scored a 13 or 14...but no doubts you will best that soon. :rolleyes:

purchawk
January 27, 2010, 11:29 PM
Double A: What are you shooting with?

Maverick223
January 28, 2010, 12:31 AM
I imagine he is using one of his seemingly endless supply of Coopers...probably the .17HMR.

purchawk
January 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
A Cooper? Yikes! With only two classes, I'd have to shoot against him with my $135 used 10/22 since I can't do prone or offhand.

Will we get back next month to a class of non-target rifles that can shoot from a rest?

Sorry to sound any kind of complaint--you do a terrific job, Mav.

Maverick223
January 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Will we get back next month to a class of non-target rifles that can shoot from a rest?I would rather consolidate the match to 4 or less total groups (2 optics, 2 irons) unless participation grows, but we could make the sporting class rested as well. What say ye?

dubbleA
January 28, 2010, 03:15 PM
purchawk, that animal target was intended as a joke, it's not to be entered in anything.

Yes, I am using a Cooper 17 hmr, it's not a target rifle but by the rules it's in the unlimted class because it's .17 cal.

Maverick223
January 28, 2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, I am using a Cooper 17 hmr, it's not a target rifle but by the rules it's in the unlimted class because it's .17 cal.I suppose that is considered a sporting rifle (by definition...not in the match)...but t is a heck of an accurate sporting rifle. I don't even want to know what you can do with a Olympic class rimfire.

purchawk
January 28, 2010, 10:59 PM
DubbleA: I didn't think it was really unfair even if it had been for real, just that Coopers are so bloomin' nice. It's envy, not anamosity!

Mav: Since I may not get to shoot before the end of Feb., I shouldn't comment too much. I agree two classes is probably best, but it makes sense to me to not restrict sporters to unsupported shooting. A nice breakdown would be as you suggest: two class and two optics, with rests OK in each. I have an old hybrid Mossberg (144 barrel and 44 receiver) that was designed as a target rifle, so I would not mind shooting it in the unlimited class, even if it meant competition with the Coopers and Anschutzes of the world. By the way, don't give up if there are not many shooters over the winter. This is a great idea.

Maverick223
January 28, 2010, 11:32 PM
By the way, don't give up if there are not many shooters over the winter. This is a great idea.Thank you for the encouragement, the match will exist as long as there is someone willing to shoot and I am around to continue. However, I do not deserve the credit for this match, as far as I know this was the product of collaboration between Gvnwst and FlyinBryan [Who was severely ill with the Swine Flu last I had spoken to him, and since the third quarter of last year I have been unable to contact via E-mail. If anyone knows FB personally, has any way to contact him, or information regarding his condition, please send me a PM and let me know how he is doing].

I firmly believe that matches such as this benefits the shooting community and it is my sincere hope that it will bring new shooters (both young and old) into the community as well as demonstrate the enjoyment and responsible use of firearms to others outside of the shooting community. I may not have a chance to shoot every month as I typically travel quite a bit, but this time of year (and economy) is slow, so I have been able to actually shoot.

rmcelwee
January 28, 2010, 11:59 PM
Robert and Geoff shot today but our scores were terrible. We both got a 212 as our highest of 4 attempts. Shooting from a bipod is SO hard to do.

gvnwst
January 29, 2010, 12:04 AM
Hey Mav, no giving me credit. All I ever did was annoy people, and steal JustSayMo's rules. :D

I love that you guys have been keeping this up! Good to see friendly compititions. I still say dubbleA cheats, though. :neener: (just kidding man, awesome shooting!)

Maverick223
January 29, 2010, 12:09 AM
We both got a 212 as our highest of 4 attempts.Doesn't sound bad at all...keep shooting!

I love that you guys have been keeping this up!I enjoy it, and I am glad others do too. Good to see you back, gvn...you know the rules right? If you post you gotta' shoot. :neener:

HuntAndFish
January 29, 2010, 02:08 AM
This isn't perfect, but it is 8.5 x 11. This is the animal target in PDF format.

Maverick223
January 29, 2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks, H&F. I am sure that will be easier for some folks to view/print.

lopezni
January 30, 2010, 01:29 AM
I am assuming my CZ 452 Special is Sporting Class right? It's the Lux with a cheaper wood stock. I have a 2-7x33mm scope on it so it counts as magnified target. Is it okay to shoot at 75'? That is the minimum distance of our outdoor range. As, far as unsupported goes, would shooting prone or sitting be considered supported? Sorry for being a pain in the A**, just want to be clear on everything.

Maverick223
January 30, 2010, 01:42 AM
I'd say it is a sporting rifle, and any position is fine (including bench) as long as you don't rest the rifle on something (for sporting). You can shoot at 75' but that will limit you a bit. When it gets warmer we will go back to the longer ranges (non-magnified and magnified at 25yds and 50yds respectively), which will make it a bit more challenging and hopefully more fun.

lopezni
January 30, 2010, 02:03 AM
One more thing. By next month I plan to have a trigger kit in the rifle. I will also be bedding the full length of the action up through the barrel channel where the stock connects to the bottom of the rear sight. From the sight forward the barrel will be floating. Will it still count as a Sporter? Is a sling okay to use too?

Maverick223
January 30, 2010, 02:25 AM
I think as long as you don't add a higher magnification scope (or target sights), and/or re-barrel with a heavy bbl, it should still classify as sporter. Absolutely, I highly recommend the use of a sling.

purchawk
January 31, 2010, 08:38 AM
Mav: While you are answering equipment questions...last weekend I installed a Green Mountain target barrel and a Hogue stock (which free-floats the barrel) on my Ruger 10/22, so that puts it in target class, right?

Maverick223
January 31, 2010, 12:58 PM
...that puts it in target class, right?I would say so. Good choice of bbl.

purchawk
January 31, 2010, 02:53 PM
Mav:

Thanks. I did a lot of research, plus a friend of mine just intalled a G.M. and loved it.

gvnwst
January 31, 2010, 10:20 PM
gvn...you know the rules right? If you post you gotta' shoot.
Love too, but for one thing...we just got record snowfall here in KY, most since '74 or something like that. It is FREEEEEZING outside. :D My finger would probably freeze before I could pull the trigger. :cool:

Maverick223
January 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
My finger would probably freeze before I could pull the trigger.Shoot an AK first...they are made for cold weather, just touch the gas block and it'll warm you right up. :evil:

We have snow here too, about 3", just outside of Charlotte, which is pretty good for here. I did manage to get out and shoot a little today, but only because the birds were flying into the windows...that little birdy (along with some of his buddies) is no longer a problem. :D

gvnwst
January 31, 2010, 11:27 PM
If only I had one. :'(

Every once in a while, a bird gets into my shop, I gotta take out the airsoft pistols to take care of it...they never understand that they can just fly out that 12' tall door...

Maverick223
January 31, 2010, 11:38 PM
If only I had one. :'(Don't feel bad, I don't either...unless you count the Saiga 12...which doesn't get all that hot (well you can't cook off of it anyway).

I gotta take out the airsoft pistols to take care of it...I would try rat shot...or perhaps Aguila Colibris.

baldeagle93
February 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
Just purchased a 17HMR Savage 93 with bull barrel. Decided to try the BSA Sweet 17 scope before I put too much money in optics for it. Just found this site and love having the shooting challenges, it motivated me to go break in the barrel and shoot a little with temps in the teens and ground covered in snow and ice...addictions!

I'm very impressed thus far with bot the Savage and BSA scope...and I am a hard core Remington, Leopold, Zeiss, Swarovski shooter. For the first 100 rds out of the gun, I'd have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with both Savage and BSA. I have not been able to use the BDC on the Sweet 17 scope yet, I ran the ballistics and was making adjustments accordingly.

Targets shot at 25 yards. Shot 215 5-10X on 1-30-10. I pushed target out to 100 yrds to test a 5 shot group. I was running out of light and that group was shot in less than 2 minutes at low light. Went back with a friend Sunday and shot 209 2-10X. He was shooting a 10/22 with GM barrel, he shot 185 1-10X and 206 2-10X.

Not an overly impressive day...but with the weather and the first 100 rounds from a gun I've never shot, I'll take it.

Maverick223
February 1, 2010, 01:02 PM
Welcome to THR, and the rimfire match baldeagle93! Both, you and your friend did well. How much snow did you get?

baldeagle93
February 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
We got about 2" of snow and 1" of ice. Just 20 miles north got a lot more snow. Wasn't too bad, but the ice is havoc in the South! I should have put down a blanket on the tarp...there were areas that were a little sensitive to the cold that may have been affected in the prone position.

Hope to get out this weekend and do a little better, I'm not satisfied with that score. I will say that target is an interesting challenge to say the least.

Maverick223
February 1, 2010, 04:45 PM
We got 3" here, but about 10mi. north got 8+in. Ice hasn't been a big problem yet...but it will likely follow (typically does). Hopefully it will clear up this weekend so we both can do a little more shooting.

spartanpride
February 4, 2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
How about some politicians heads instead?

You make it (and send it to me) and we'll give it a shot.

You got it!
Did I take you guys too seriously? :evil:
But don't freak out on me, this is just for funzies.

Maverick223
February 5, 2010, 03:20 PM
You got it!B-E-A-Utiful. :D

happygeek
February 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
Shot standing with a rest this afternoon

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/7Febat50ft.jpg

I don't have a printer currently, otherwise I'd have tried the official target. Most of my shooting this afternoon was failure drills and mag dumps since the range I was at doesn't mind quick fire. Thought I'd shoot a couple slow and aimed though.

Maverick223
February 7, 2010, 08:58 PM
HG, are we going to have to send you a printer? http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/smans.gif

You could just shoot the target you see on your screen. :evil:

happygeek
February 7, 2010, 09:08 PM
Oh I have a printer, just not where I am. I'm temporarily in GA, but only for a few months before I go back home. I did bring my 22 rifle with me so I could get to the range while I'm here, but I definitely didn't have room in the vehicle for a printer.

It was rather funny, just before me and the wife left a couple came in 2 lanes over from us. The guy was telling the girl with him how to shoot a pistol and was standing right behind her with his hands on her hips, almost looked like he was grinding on her. I refrained from saying "dude, it's a range, not a nightclub".

Maverick223
February 7, 2010, 09:14 PM
Oh I have a printer, just not where I am. I'm temporarily in GA, but only for a few months before I go back home. I did bring my 22 rifle with me so I could get to the range while I'm here, but I definitely didn't have room in the vehicle for a printer.Gotcha...should have guessed that from your screen name. At least you took the important stuff. :cool:

Geno
February 7, 2010, 09:23 PM
happygeek said:

It was rather funny, just before me and the wife left a couple came in 2 lanes over from us. The guy was telling the girl with him how to shoot a pistol and was standing right behind her with his hands on her hips, almost looked like he was grinding on her. I refrained from saying "dude, it's a range, not a nightclub".

Alright! Who was "grampster" teachin' this time: Barbara Boxer or Nancy Pelosi?! <<smirk>> He's so embarassing in public! Ya can't take the man anywhere!

Geno

devildog32713
February 9, 2010, 05:27 PM
I printed it off, and each target is a wee little bit bigger than a quarter, am I doing something wrong? It printed at 63% to fit in reg printer paper.

Maverick223
February 9, 2010, 05:57 PM
Each target should be almost exactly the size of a quarter (perhaps 1/32in. all the way around), so it sounds like you have it right.

dubbleA
February 9, 2010, 07:25 PM
I printed it off, and each target is a wee little bit bigger than a quarter, am I doing something wrong? It printed at 63% to fit in reg printer paper.

Yeppers, that what I came up with, the X is a wee bit small.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Targets/THRtarget.jpg

Orlando
February 10, 2010, 11:00 AM
I may never get to the range:( 13-14 inches of snow last weekend 5 yesterday and a few more today with high winds.
Good luck to the rest of the shooters

Maverick223
February 10, 2010, 12:33 PM
It isn't exactly warm and sunny...but there isn't snow and it is above freezing here. I need to get out to the range. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/thblissysmile.gif

gunsandreligion
February 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
I may never get to the range 13-14 inches of snow last weekend 5 yesterday and a few more today with high winds.
Good luck to the rest of the shooters That, is a good excuse for buying a 4X4.

Maverick223
February 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Tell em' G&R. :D

Orlando
February 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
I have a 4x4, problem isnt getting there it was the high winds and not being able to find the shooting benches and I dont feel much like laying in the snow.
Ya I'm getting soft in my old age.
I will return when it thaws;)

Maverick223
February 11, 2010, 03:50 PM
I will return when it thawsGot blowtorch? :D Good luck on the upcoming weather.

purchawk
February 12, 2010, 11:56 PM
Mav:

I've been waiting for better weather since early Dec., but it's clear it ain't gonna happen. More snow every few days and hardly above freezing since Thanksgiving, so I gave up and went out today when it was 30 degrees to try to record a score since 50' was my idea and I suggested the magnified target.

Attached was shot with my stock Marlin 982VS .22 Mag. with a 3X9 Bushnell set at 6X from a front rest.

I score it a 227, but I'll go with whatever you think.

If I can get out again by the 28th and do better, I'll post again.

Maverick223
February 13, 2010, 12:14 AM
Looks good, purchawk. 227 looks bout right to me.

I wish you guys had just kept your dang snow though...[grumble, grumble, grumble]...was planning to shoot tomorrow, and now I have 4in. of snow on the ground. :cuss: Looks like I will have to wait for next weekend.

purchawk
February 13, 2010, 05:15 AM
Mav:

I also shot a target with my Ruger 10/22 with a Green Mountain bull barrel. It has only a few dozen rounds through the barrel, so I still don't have much of a handle on how it shoots, and I had feed trouble while shooting this. I used another Bushnell at 6X and shot from an NXT rest.

My scoring makes it a 219 (ignore the numbers I wrote on the target. They're too high.)
Glad I was finally able to submit something.

I know you've been hit hard this week, but we've had the third worst winter for snow on record--almost 60 inches since Nov.--and we are REALLY tired of it.

Maverick223
February 13, 2010, 01:29 PM
I know you've been hit hard this week, but we've had the third worst winter for snow on record--almost 60 inches since Nov.--and we are REALLY tired of it.It really hasn't been too bad here. We got a total of about 9-10in. (this season), so I have no reason to complain when others have gotten this much over night. Another good showing, purchawk. I can't believe that you did better with the .22Mag, they are generally regarded as the most inaccurate rimfire, but at the 50' line I guess ammo quality doesn't make a significant difference.

purchawk
February 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
Mav:

I went out this a.m., even though it was a tad cool, and shot the unmagnified target with my ancient Mossberg (part 144 and part 44) using the original aperature sights.

Better than I thought I'd do, since I have lousy eye sight.

I judge it as a 29.

Yeah, my Marlin .22 mag was a gift from my son-in-law and contrary to what I read in the gun mags, it shoots pretty well. It will hold 1" groups off a solid rest at 100 yards if I'm having a good day.

I think the re-barreled 10/22 will be a tack driver when it settles in. It didn't want to feed yesterday, so I may have some barrel droop.

Thanks again for running this competition--it's a lot of fun.

Maverick223
February 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
29 sounds about right (the one on the top right is very, very close). I am glad that you enjoyed shooting. That Marlin is a keeper for sure.

purchawk
February 13, 2010, 03:58 PM
Mav:

I think you're right; should be a 28.

Maverick223
February 13, 2010, 04:03 PM
28 it is...that still puts you in the non-magnified lead...for now. :evil:

purchawk
February 13, 2010, 06:54 PM
Those aperature sights are really optic wonders. I wear bifocals and can't see open sights beyond a couple yards, but with the old Mossberg aperature I'm able to have fun shooting 100-yard smallbore competition.

I'm certain someone else will shoot the non-magnified and put me in the shade.

Maverick223
February 13, 2010, 07:50 PM
I too have come to love aperture sights, they work much better for my eyes. I think all future rifles (and many that I already have) will be getting apertures if I intend to use irons. The only exception is the DG rifle, which will retain its express sights for quick target acquisition in poor lighting conditions.

Heavenlyfire
February 13, 2010, 07:58 PM
Ok, I am in on this one. Heading out to the range in the morning so my wife can try out her new toy. She has a Ruger 10-22 and last year she completed the 3 day breast cancer walk so for valentines day I bought her the pink stock from Houg. She loves it. I will be using it for part of my entry. I will also be using a 1906 Model 1906 (22 shorts) and a savage model 29 with a hex barrel. Not sure on the year of that one. Can't find any lists online to figure it out.

Maverick223
February 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
Welcome to THR and the rimfire match, Heavenlyfire! Looking forward to your targets; good luck at the range tomorrow.

Heavenlyfire
February 14, 2010, 04:57 PM
Here are the results

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/SassyDlights/2-14-2010_015-1.jpg
114 points / Ruger 10-22

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/SassyDlights/2-14-2010_013-1.jpg
30 points / Pre-war Savage model 29

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/SassyDlights/2-14-2010_012-1.jpg
22 points / 1906 Win. model 1906

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm218/SassyDlights/2-14-2010_003-1.jpg
My wife enjoying her Valentines Day present :neener:

Maverick223
February 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
Good showing Heavenlyfire, glad you and your wife enjoyed the range trip.

Heavenlyfire
February 15, 2010, 01:07 AM
Not too bad for 100+ year old rifles. I was pretty impressed they did that well. Both barrels are a little loose but still function able.

skidooman603
February 15, 2010, 05:55 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/gunnerlad/009.jpg

Compass Lake Engineering upper on RRA lower prone @ 50ft 5 shots No rests here.. It flat out shoots

Maverick223
February 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
Looks like your AR .22lr shoots well. How many shots was that?

baldeagle93
February 15, 2010, 12:13 PM
Got the chance to get back out a shoot this weekend with another new toy that I got this week. Could be better, but this was only after zeroing scope and firing a couple of groups to get familiar with the rifle...it's my first 10/22, and I think I'm REALLY going to like it. Bought this rifle after shooting my Savage .17HMR that I just built, love that gun, but not quite the cheap plinker that I was wanting.

baldeagle93
February 15, 2010, 12:15 PM
Forgot to list the score...203 with only 1 10X...not too shabby considering the cold weather really makes it hard to shoot and I haven't put 100 rounds through this new rifle.

Maverick223
February 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
Lookin' good, baldeagle93.

skidooman603
February 15, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thats 5 and it will keep throwing right there all day with wolf ammo iron sights-prone

skidooman603
February 15, 2010, 02:46 PM
Best service rifle winter practice on the planet :D

Maverick223
February 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
Thats 5 and it will keep throwing right there all day with wolf ammo iron sights-proneWow, you need to print out the official target...you should do great.

skidooman603
February 16, 2010, 05:29 AM
HA HA Haven't really followed the whole competition Guess I will go back and read through it. Thanks for putting up this thread!

Maverick223
February 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
No worries, the targets are in the OP (with an improved unmagnified target in post no. 34).

mickeydim468
February 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hey Mav,

What do ya think I would be able to do with my dad's old Nylon 66? No scope! Do you think it would be an accurate rifle?

I have never shot it for accuracy with Iron sights and when it had a scope on it it wouldn't group very well because the metal cover that the scope mounts on moves with every shot. I went through about 10 scopes before I realized what was actually happening.

Maverick223
February 17, 2010, 12:23 AM
What do ya think I would be able to do with my dad's old Nylon 66? No scope! Do you think it would be an accurate rifle?I don't know, but I do know there are some folks that love the old Nylons. I think you will do pretty well with the irons, but something you may want to investigate is getting a nice aperture rear sight (Lymans, Williams, Skinner, et cetera), and globe/tunnel front sight. If you can get a target version (has knobs that click like a scope) it can be just as accurate as optics.

mickeydim468
February 17, 2010, 12:40 AM
but something you may want to investigate is getting a nice aperture rear sight (Lymans, Williams, Skinner, et cetera), and globe/tunnel front sight.

They have that stuff for the Nylon 66? I will check it out. I recently got the Midway catalog in the mail. Maybe I will have some reading to do before bedtime. :)

I went ahead and printed out about 8 of those squirrel, bird and rabbit targets and think I will give it a try tomorrow. The part I ordered from Numrich's came in today and I just finished installing it. I gave the old bore a swab and it is as shiny as ever, so wish me luck! This will be my first time ever participating here, so I am excited to give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 17, 2010, 12:45 AM
They have that stuff for the Nylon 66? I will check it out.I don't know, but imagine that if there are no available receiver sights (good chance there isn't) that the Skinner dovetail version would work. The globe sight would largely depend on whether the rifle has a front dovetail (can't recall if it does or not).

Good luck tomorrow!

mickeydim468
February 17, 2010, 01:44 AM
The front sight is one that screws on, and the only parts that they list on the midway website is a replacement front sight, a screw, and the charging handle. Maybe I don't know how to search for it, but that's all I came up with. The rear sight is attached to the metal cover that attaches with two screws that go through the plastic stock. It isn't even attached to the barrel. If that metal cover ever moves, my zero will move too, just like it did with the scope on it.

How far are 22lr rifles accurate to? I mean how many yards should they be accurate? I do remember trying to shoot this at 100yards and not really having too much luck. I just figured that this just sucks as a rifle.

I will never get rid of it though. It was my dad's and my mom gave it to me 25 odd years ago when dad died. So it is an heirloom but I figured I would try to shoot it anyway.

I'll check back tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the info.

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 17, 2010, 02:14 AM
Hmm, sounds like you're SOL on replacement sights...but, don't worry that rifle's biggest limitations is the shooter's eyesight. You shouldn't have trouble reaching out 25yds or so fairly accurately with those irons. Scoped (or with very good irons), a .22lr generally is considered pretty accurate up to 100yds (farther with very good equipment and ammunition).

It was made to shoot, that is why your dad bought it, and it will last for many years to come if taken care of. I have a couple of .22LRs that were handed down to me from my grandparents, and both get shot (but also taken good care of), because that is what they were for, why they were bought, and what my grandparents would want me to do with them. Heck I may have to bring them out for the match; I shot the last one with one of them (the Stevens), but the Remington M-12 needs a workout too.

Shoot well;

Mav.

mickeydim468
February 18, 2010, 12:22 AM
OK here is my entry.

I am not sure what this scores but here it is anyway.

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 18, 2010, 12:25 AM
Mikey you did well, I would score it as a 28. Not bad at all.

mickeydim468
February 18, 2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks Maverick,

Seeing as though my 42 yr old eyes couldn't see the red dot at all at 50ft, I guess I did OK. I had really hoped to do better though. It took me 7 of these target pages to do this well, after zeroing the rifle.

BTW, I put the new part in last night and I didn't have one FTF or FTL in about 75 shots today, so I guess the new part worked. I found some s/n info about this rifle last night too. It appears that this rifle was manufactured in June of 1970, which would make it about right for when my dad bought it new.

I may be able to go out again before the end of the month and try to better my score. I'll let you know if I do better next time.

The best part about shooting today was that I finally had the chance to take my 7yr old daughter out with me alone. She really listened and tried her best to shoot with accuracy, but out of 14 shots the first round she only hit paper twice. I was so proud! Then after giving her some more detail, the next round she hit 8 of 9 on paper. Then the third round she hit 7 of 9 on paper without too much additional help. She was very happy and can't wait until we can do it again. In fact she was asking me on the way home if we could try again tomorrow. She has shown her targets to everyone here at the house at least twice so far. 8^). You gotta love that!

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 18, 2010, 12:54 AM
You gotta love that!I do, way to groom a new rimfire match shooter ;)...who knows perhaps Olympic rimfire match shooter. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

mickeydim468
February 18, 2010, 01:14 AM
That would be awesome!

mickeydim468
February 18, 2010, 05:02 PM
After looking over my set of targets that I shot yesterday, I think this one will score a 30. What do you think?

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
30 looks about right to me...thanks for the yellow background, that really helps scoring. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

mickeydim468
February 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
Sure thing! :D

By the way, where do you get those cool smileys?

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 18, 2010, 06:42 PM
By the way, where do you get those cool smileys?Right here: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/; but you have to be a member to see/use them. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/box.gif

purchawk
February 20, 2010, 07:53 PM
Mav:

It was slightly warmer today, and I got out to the range again with my Ruger 10/22 with the new Green Mtn. barrel. Here's the target. I think it's a 230, which is three points better than I did with my Marlin .22 mag.

Maverick223
February 20, 2010, 08:34 PM
Goo shooting, purchawk, and thank you for self-scoring and using the high contrast green background.

I shot yesterday, but have been a bit busy and want to get back out there later on. So far I have only attempted the irons target because of trouble with the 10/17 optics (had to end up replacing them...another CenterPoint for now). I will get my targets uploaded late tonight or tomorrow, but the scores were 28, 28, 24, & 20 IIRC.

purchawk
February 21, 2010, 04:02 PM
Mav: Pretty good iron sights shooting--I think you tied me, but alas, we are not at the top of the leader board.

Sorry your optics failed. I was about to buy a Center Point when my friendly local gun dealer offered me a great deal on a 4-12X40 AO Bushnell.

Maverick223
February 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks, purchawk. No biggie on the optics, they (WW) replaced them, but I don't believe I will be buying any more CenterPoint optics. The only problem is finding something else that will fit on the rifle with my 1-pc. mount/rings, because I want a good bit of magnification (those .17cal. holes are hard to see), and can't go any larger than a 40mm objective (mount is about med. height, and no higher is available that I know of). I will give it another shot, before replacing it altogether. I think you did better by going with Bushnell, they make some pretty darn good optics IMO. I will probably be replacing mine with a Bushnell if the second CenterPoint fails.

Here is a photo of the results of my outing:
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/IMG_4637.jpg
Top-left is my GSG-5, top-right is my Remington Model 12 Takedown, and both bottom targets are from the Stevens Model 87D.

purchawk
February 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
Mav:

Those seem like exotic rifles to me, but I'm new to shooting after 50 years away and there's a LOT I don't know. When was the Stevens semi-auto made?

The Bushnell I got was slightly used, but in great condition. It is a good scope, but when you crank the power up past 10X it starts to fog up. Below that, it's right on-- easy to adjust with good clicks and finger-friendly knobs. So far it holds zero very well, even after coming off and on the gun several times.

That's about all you can ask for from a "cheap" scope. I've never used a Leupold or Swarski, so I don't have much to compare to, but I only spend hundreds on my guns and thousands for a scope is an idea from la-la land.

On the other hand, I shoot smallbore competitions with guys who have Anschutzes with diopter sights that are worth about as much as my car! (I'm not very competitive, of course, with my 60-year-old Mossberg.)

Maverick223
February 22, 2010, 12:46 PM
Those seem like exotic rifles to me, but I'm new to shooting after 50 years away and there's a LOT I don't know. When was the Stevens semi-auto made?Not really. The Remington Model 12 was a fairly common rifle in its time (mine is from around 1930), as is the Stevens Model 87D, best I can tell the it is from the 50's, but information on this particular rifle is scarce. The Stevens is a great shooter, with its 24in. long bbl the irons are great. It also has some interesting features like the slotted receiver, bolt that can lock (to shoot shorts), and trigger that holds the bolt back until you release it. It isn't worth much, but it is my favorite rifle due to family history, the Model 12 isn't far behind for the same reason. OTOH the GSG-5 is a fairly new rifle that is basically a copy of the MP-5, nothing really special about it, but it is a fun little plinker. Photos of all three are attached below.

I really like Bushnell, it is one of the only optics manufacturers that make a quality low-end line. I'll hold my judgement on the CenterPoint for right now, but other lesser scopes have not been satisfactory IMO. I have decided that I am done with cheap optics, because they tend to cost me more money, and suffer in the glass dept. Bushnell is the only possible exception.

dubbleA
February 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
Optics/Target class entry........ shot a 238 on the 1st attempt and this was the second attempt. I came up with a 245. No need for me to try to top that when ammo is $13 a box.:o

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Targets/thrfeb.jpg

Maverick223
February 22, 2010, 03:27 PM
Great shooting, dubbleA.

TIRED TRAVELER
February 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
I choose you dubbleA, your on my side;)

JIM

happygeek
February 22, 2010, 08:14 PM
Not really any better than the target I posted from the previous week (or was it two weeks ago), but got out to the range yesterday with a coworker and figured I'd post one from that trip.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/21Febat50ft.jpg

Shot at 50ft standing with a 22LR M4ergy (CMMG 22LR dedicated upper on Rock River lower) with iron sights.

We had an interesting time since we also rented a FS2000 and a 38 Special. Neither of us had shot a revolver before. He'd shot a FS2000 once before, I'd never even touched a bullpup rifle before. Can't say I'd be in any hurry to run out and blow as much as my NM M1A cost on one, but once I got over the weirdness of the bullpup design it wasn't bad. It has a little too much plastic on the rifle for my tastes too. It was so light that it actually felt like it was kicking as much as my M1A. It was plenty accurate though.

purchawk
February 22, 2010, 10:35 PM
DubbleA: Isn't it boring to keep taking out the middle of the targets? Wouldn't you have more fun moving the holes around?

Seriously, however, great stuff. The rest of us were shooting for second place.

Maverick223
February 23, 2010, 12:31 AM
I'd never even touched a bullpup rifle before.What! :what: Bullpups are the greatest ever! My favorite bullpup is below:

mickeydim468
February 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
Looks like I am not going to be able to shoot again this month. It looks like rain til the end.

BTW, Good shooting Maverick! and to DoubleA, Wow! I'm impressed!

So who does it look like will win this thing Maverick? Or is it still too early to call?

Mikey!

Maverick223
February 25, 2010, 06:14 PM
Looks like I am not going to be able to shoot again this month. It looks like rain til the end.

BTW, Good shooting Maverick! and to DoubleA, Wow! I'm impressed!

So who does it look like will win this thing Maverick? Or is it still too early to call?Naw there'll be at least one good day. If it warms up I will get out there and get the .17cal sighted in and shoot. That way I might have a chance to secure second...darn that DubbleA. :cuss: He'll squeak in a victory...DubbleA and those Coopers. [grumble, grumble, grumble] :neener:

Orlando
February 25, 2010, 06:17 PM
Ya, I wish it would rain here so I could get to the range. Have tomorrow off and forecasting more snow with 15-20 mph winds with 35 mph gusts
COME ON SPRING!!I WANNA SHOOT

mickeydim468
February 25, 2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, well... I wouldn't want to get my targets wet! That would be a shame! ;)

Maverick223
February 25, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, well... I wouldn't want to get my targets wet! That would be a shame!Laminator. ;)

mickeydim468
February 25, 2010, 06:32 PM
You've got an answer for everything... Don' cha Mav?

Maverick223
February 25, 2010, 06:56 PM
You've got an answer for everything... Don' cha Mav?Yep. :neener:

mickeydim468
February 27, 2010, 09:33 PM
It ended up being a clear nice day today, so out to the range I went. I shot the magnified target with some CCI MiniMag ammo. I only tried 1 target page and was only able to score a 153 with my Nylon 66 and Crosman 0410 4X scope off of a rest. I still have not found a consistent enough ammo to compete with any chance of winning or coming even close. The ammo in these parts is still pretty slim pickin's.

I am much happier with this rifle with the open sight targets.

Mike!

Maverick223
February 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. :D

I picked up a value pack of Win. match at a gun show last weekend, still haven't had an opportunity to try it out, but I ill update when I do. Hopefully the wind will die down tomorrow and allow me to get out for another range session (went today, but only took the magnums to cope with the wind).

mickeydim468
February 27, 2010, 10:03 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

I have the target right here. I didn't figure anyone would want to see my crappy attempt.

I can post if you want me to.

Mike

Maverick223
February 27, 2010, 10:05 PM
I can post if you want me to.Sure...nothing to be embarrassed about, we all have off days. There will be good ones to follow, when you find better ammo and discover what the rifle likes to shoot.

mickeydim468
February 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
I am not ashamed of it, I just figured it wasn't very good is all so I didn't hink anyone would want to see it. Anyway, here it is.

Mike

Maverick223
February 27, 2010, 10:55 PM
I just figured it wasn't very goodNearly every shot is good enough to remove a squirrel's head...and that ain't too bad. ;)

mickeydim468
February 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks Maverick!

mickeydim468
February 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
I am convinced the lack of accuracy is due to fluctuations in the ammo. I was really trying to pay attention to how the rifle kicked with each shot. When the kick felt different, the hole in the paper was out of whack. When it felt good, the hole was where I wanted it or pretty close.

I know this will be good for varmints but I was just hoping for something more like that guy who shoots the Cooper. :banghead:

Mike

Maverick223
February 27, 2010, 11:09 PM
...I was just hoping for something more like that guy who shoots the Cooper.Uhmm, good luck. :uhoh: Fortunately you (and I) are in a different class...so he didn't whip up on us too bad. ;)

mickeydim468
February 28, 2010, 04:03 AM
What do you mean? What other class is there? I thought there was just two... open sight and magnified. You mean there is a redneck with a gun class, and as long as there is glass somewhere on the rifle we get to be in that one? :) Count me in! Everyone else, you are the Pros! Y'all go sit over yonder until we holler fer ya. Woooo Hoooo! Grab me some bullitz Ma!

Sorry, lost my mind there for a moment. I think the meds are kickin' in!

By the way. I have a link to the pictures of my new stock for my .300 Win Mag on the rifle finishing thread I started. Or at least there will be a link in a few minutes. Come on over and check it out and let me know what you think. I know, you're not too fond of .300 Win Mags, but you will like the stock I am doing just the same.

Mike

Maverick223
February 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
You mean there is a redneck with a gun classYep, in addition to the two optics divisions there are two rifle classes...sporting and target. ;)

I know, you're not too fond of .300 Win Mags, but you will like the stock I am doing just the same.Don't care for small cal. magnums for hunting (or generally magnums at all), but I like it for target. Heck my LR precision rifle is chambered for .300Winny. I'll check it out.

Caliper_RWVA
February 28, 2010, 08:22 PM
Finally got some shots in this weekend. Everything is in the sporting class so I'm finally learning the prone position.

I'm pretty happy with my Romanian M69 training rifle. May have a long trigger pull, but it is very nice and light. I just with I would have done these earlier in the day with better light. Those iron sights get hard to see in dusk, even for us with younger eyes! Managed a 26 by my count.

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/45740/2030385520083184085S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2030385520083184085xePbEW)

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/45742/2122391620083184085S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2122391620083184085fiLLff)

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/44830/2287105940083184085S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2287105940083184085NJnifh)

Not very thrilled with how I was shooting my Remington 597 though. After too many shots, my trigger finger was getting sore and the 6# pull felt like 16 and I started pulling shots. :barf: There's more in this gun once I find what ammo she likes and get a sling on her.

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/44747/2938725540083184085S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2938725540083184085AAfVrI)

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/43955/2822966800083184085S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2822966800083184085TILMic)

Maverick223
February 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
Not bad blueyes.

There is still time to squeeze another target off for yawl on the west coast...or shooting indoors. ;)

mickeydim468
February 28, 2010, 09:38 PM
I just got back after shooting my .300 Winny and 3 targets full for the .22lr sporting magnified and haven't tallied up yet or scanned or anything like that. I will post after I eat something.

Mike

mickeydim468
February 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
Here is my three targets from today. I scored them what I thought they should be, but you can give me an official tally if you do not mind.

The first one I scored a 133.
The second one I scored a 144
The third one I scored a bit better than I have so far at 177.

What do you think?

Mike.

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 12:13 AM
Mickey, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I scored the 177 as 168. I think a couple shots were just shy of breaking the lines. :(

mickeydim468
March 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hey, I still bettered my score of 153, so I am good with that. So, the hole has to break the line? I was going by the lead left on the paper from the bullet passing through. I guess that's where I went wrong then. :) Any word how I did? I read the whole thread and didn't keep track of who did what. The only target I remember seeing scored a 245 and that was the guy with a Cooper. Great shooting by the way!

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
Any word how I did?I have a friend that is working on a scoreboard...hope to have it up by this afternoon. It will take me a little while to tally the scores, but all else fails I will have something up tonight.

mickeydim468
March 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
Cool deal... Thanks Maverick. Your efforts are very appreciated!

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
TY, Mickey...and thank you all for participating. It has been a cold winter, but it is good to have devoted folks like yourself that still head out to the frozen-over range for a little friendly competition. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

mickeydim468
March 1, 2010, 02:03 PM
Well, I don't deserve all that. My range was not frozen like some of those back east. We get wet here but not frozen so much. I am on the coast, but inland gets frozen quite a bit. I think it froze here maybe 5 times this winter. No snow at all. Last year it snowed once. For the most part the temp stays 40* and above.

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 02:15 PM
Well yawl on the left-coast had it easy...I take it back. :neener:

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 01:05 PM
Results are in...scoreboard should be coming soon...

Optics Division - Target Class:
1st- dubbleA with a score of 245
2nd- purchawk with a score of 230
3rd- rmcelwee with a score of 222
Honorable Mentions: baldeagle93 (215), Geoff Conine-friend of rmcelwee (220)

Optics Division - Sporting Class:
1st- baldeagle93 with a score of 203
2nd- mickeydim468 with a score of 168
3rd- BlueEyes with a score of 141
Honorable Mentions: Heavenlyfire (114)

Irons Division - Target Class:
1st- purchawk with a score of 29
2nd- dubbleA with a score of 9

Irons Division - Sporting Class:
1st- mickeydim468 tied with Heavenlyfire with a score of 30
2nd- BlueEyes tied with Maverick223 with a score of 26

Great shooting everyone...the March Match will be up shortly, if you have any target suggestions for that match please post them there. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 01:41 PM
March Rimfire Match (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6322862#post6322862) is up and running, make sure and let me know if you have any targets that you would like to try and we'll get under way shortly. Thank you all for joining in;

Mav.

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 03:15 PM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/guns/Scoreboard.jpg

mickeydim468
March 2, 2010, 03:20 PM
You spelled my name wrong under the Magnified Sporting class. :( <<<Crying like a baby!

Don't worry about it.

That is very cool. I had never done any of the rimfire matches before. This was great fun!

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 03:28 PM
You spelled my name wrong under the Magnified Sporting class.Actually, I didn't...ltjyeahok (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=112852) did...I'd send him a PM and ***** like ****. :evil: ...but I gave him the results. :o

mickeydim468
March 2, 2010, 03:32 PM
Naw... It ain't like that. I was just happy to see my name anywhere on there.

Thanks everyone who works on this stuff. I really enjoyed sharing my targets and etc... I will probably try again for March. My neighbor wants to try too. We are going to try to get to the range again soon.

Mike

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 03:37 PM
Look forward to seeing you in the March match. :)

baldeagle93
March 2, 2010, 03:55 PM
I GREATLY enjoyed the match...wish I'd had more time to do some shooting and better my score. Keep the contests coming Maverick223!

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 03:58 PM
...wish I'd had more time to do some shooting and better my scoreYou do...the extension is called the March Rimfire Match. ;)

Keep the contests coming Maverick223!Will do!

baldeagle93
March 2, 2010, 05:22 PM
:d sweet!!!!!! :d

rmcelwee
March 2, 2010, 07:40 PM
Optics Division - Target Class:
1st- dubbleA with a score of 245
2nd- purchawk with a score of 230
3rd- rmcelwee with a score of 222
Honorable Mentions: baldeagle93 (215), Geoff Conine-friend of rmcelwee (220)

Just to be fair to Geoff, I was lazy and did not submit his score of 223. This would have knocked me out of 3rd place and put him in there. I know it doesn't matter to anyone except me but I would feel bad if I did not mention it. Thanks again for putting on such a nice contest. I find myself shooting worse as the months go on. Not sure what is happening but I am looking forward to some good "luck" in the March contest.

Caliper_RWVA
March 2, 2010, 11:41 PM
Looking forward to the March match! With daylight savings coming, we will have more evening hours go get shots in!

Maverick223
March 3, 2010, 12:15 AM
Same here, been a cold winter (not that it's over...snow on the ground now), looking forward to more daylight and warm weather.

If you enjoyed reading about "February Rimfire Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!