Remington Model 7

PDA

little joe
January 9, 2010, 07:44 PM
Anyone have a Remington Model 7 they would like to tell me about.

I am looking at a Model 7 CDL in 350RM ( 20" barrel ). Heavier magnum taper is good.

I think my search for a short, lighter and powerful rifle might be over if the feedback is positive.

I've already read many posts and seems like a lot of guys are happy with theirs. A few were not, but many were.

Thanks Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Model 7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vicdotcom
January 9, 2010, 08:22 PM
The Model 7 and the Model 660 (the predecessor to the model seven) are my favorite deer guns out of the 15 or so that I have owned in the past. I walk a lot when I hunt and it certainly saves me a lot of effort carrying a 7 pound rifle. I currently have the Model 7 CDL in .308 and it shoots about 1.5 MOA for 3 shot groups with store ammo. 1.5-2 moa for 5 shot groups with store ammo. Better when I handloaded

Very handy, easy to shoulder and shoot. A lot of trees and brush where I hunt and a 75 yard open shot is about max. When I was a 15 years younger though, I never would have considered this rifle (prefering "full size" ones). But now I know better.

I still usually shoot with the irons sights, though I have a scope mount.
I love the rifle, I love the look, I love how fast I can get on target. Now the bad part is that I don't like the price!! It is more costly than it probably should be but I didn't mind. Also the factory trigger was also a little heavy. Broke nice, but heavy. Had to get that taken care of. But the newer models might have the new x-mark triggers I think right?

Hope it helps.

Vic

Uncle Mike
January 9, 2010, 08:25 PM
The Remington Model 7 is a superb rifle. The rifle has great balance and is lightweight.
All my Model 7's are excellent shooters as to accuracy except for 1 in 7mmSAUM, and reloading will, I'm sure,cure that.

Keep in mind I speak of 'old' Model 7's...Remington has been experiencing shoddy workmanship, unsatisfactory accuracy, lacking customer service and higher than worth prices as of late!

So, while the decision is yours, caution Will Robinson, caution! You may get a shooter, or you may get a pooper!

The little Model 7 CDL's are a beautiful rifle depending which vendor the stock came from.
Bluing will be nice, flat matte black but smooth, a nice touch.

If you get a good one, with a pretty stock, cuddos to you! If not, you'll have a rifle that cost too much while offering mediocre accuracy and Remington will never get it right upon you returning it. You'll get the...'it meets or exceeds our tolerances' letter with no resolution of your problem.

Do NOT free float the barrel as the barrel utilizes a pressure point just aft of the forearm tip, floating the barrel on the Model 7's usually results in worsening accuracy!
The action screws MUST be torqued to the recommended specifications as the action, barrel and pressure point are sensitive to the amount of torque applied to them.

I like the Model 7, just wish the new ones were worth a hoot!(or any rifle or shotgun Remington is making now) And did not cost so much!

dakotasin
January 9, 2010, 08:52 PM
and then there's me who thinks remington is doing fine on most fronts.

i think the workmanship is fine, accuracy is superb, and i have had stellar customer service from remington.

i do think they are expensive, but do not know of any firearms producer that is putting out desirable guns cheap...

Uncle Mike
January 10, 2010, 02:45 AM
but do not know of any firearms producer that is putting out desirable guns cheap...

Savage, Tikka....?

shaggy430
January 10, 2010, 03:04 AM
Remington Model 7's are excellent rifles.

tominct
January 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
I have one in 7mm-08, set up as a scout rifle. I love it. Mine's about 11 or 12 years old, synthetic & stainless.
I'd like a medium caliber 7 also, the 350 is a great cartridge.

Molasses
January 10, 2010, 09:53 AM
'Bout 9 months ago I bought a Custom Shop Mannlicher stocked Model 7 in .350 from a fellow who decided it'd hadn't seen use for too many years. He lived in FL and had picked it up with the idea of going west on an elk hunt that never happened and considered the cartridge was overkill for anything he was likely to hunt close to home.

The Model 7 bumped a Model 673 in the same chambering out of my safe, being lighter and a lot easier on the eyes. It's not the same as the CDL model the OP asks for opinions about, but I like it.

little joe
January 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm getting the idea that a Model 7 would probably be a very good choice when considered against the Remington 660 or a time consuming rebarrel.

Joe

steveracer
January 10, 2010, 03:12 PM
I have a Seven Youth in .260 that shoots one hole at 200 and I can regularly hit basketballs at 600+ with it. Fine, FINE rifle, and absolutely perfect for deer.

rangerruck
January 10, 2010, 03:23 PM
mossy and savage do a good small peeps rifle, but it is hard to imagine one right now, that is better than a mod 7; i do like the mossy superbantam's ability to add buttpieces, to shrink or extend the length, and they are good and soft as well. But still, the mod 7 , when you get a good one, and just look at it real close for fit and finish, I mean real close. If the fit/finish are superb, then chances are, you have a good one. the mod 7 can be some serious eyecandy, and as good a shooter as well...

vicdotcom
January 10, 2010, 06:21 PM
Do NOT free float the barrel as the barrel utilizes a pressure point just aft of the forearm tip, floating the barrel on the Model 7's usually results in worsening accuracy!
The action screws MUST be torqued to the recommended specifications as the action, barrel and pressure point are sensitive to the amount of torque applied to them. I agree about not free floating it. Heard and seen nothing but bad come from that. The manual also doesnt give the torque dimensions for the Model Seven. The manual gives it for the Model 710 though, but not the Model Seven from what I remember it was 30-35 ft-lb though. I will dig up the numbers in a few days if I remember.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Model 7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!