Multi-purpose 9mm

PDA

Vicious-Peanut
January 9, 2010, 10:14 PM
So I have some cash and figured it might be a good time to pick up a 9mm for range/conceal carry use. I don't have the cash for two, so it needs to be big enough so recoil doesn't get too annoying, but also easy enough to conceal in hot Texas weather. I don't know if such a gun exists, but I figured you guys would.

I like the Bersa Thunder 9 UC, but they are wide and hard to find.

The subcompact XD seems nice, but is it too small to shoot comfortably?

Ideally the perfect gun for me would have a 3.5" barrel a width of under 1.3" and cost under $500.

Any help is much appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Multi-purpose 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TeamPrecisionIT
January 9, 2010, 10:16 PM
Used Glock 19 or 26 looks to be in your futue...

RX-178
January 9, 2010, 10:20 PM
Since you mentioned the XD, I believe Springfield offers a grip-spacer kind of device for the subcompact XD so that you get a full sized grip when you use a full sized magazine.

BossHogg
January 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
Glock 19 or Sigma S&W have a nice rebate going on $50 rebate or 2 mags.

rellascout
January 9, 2010, 10:26 PM
http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/images/glock%2019%20boxed%20new/new%20glock%2019-3.jpg

Glock 19

CALIBER
9x19
SYSTEM
Safe Action
WEIGHT
595 g / 20.99 oz.
LOADED (~)
850 g / 29.98 oz.

LENGTH
174 mm / 6.85 in.
HEIGHT
127 mm / 5.00 in.
MAG. CAPACITY
Standard: 15
OPTIONAL
17 / 19 / 33

WIDTH
30 mm / 1.18 in.
BARREL HEIGHT
32 mm / 1.26 in.
TRIGGER PULL
2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.
TRIGGER TRAVEL
12.5 mm / 0.5 in.

LINE OF SIGHT
153 mm / 6.02 in.
BARREL LENGTH
102 mm / 4.02 in.
BARREL RIFLING
right hand, hexagonal
LENGTH OF TWIST
250 mm / 9.84 in.

SleazyRider
January 9, 2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like Bud's has some nice deals on that Sigma, with rebate.

MikePaiN
January 9, 2010, 10:32 PM
Don't forget Ruger will be shipping the SR9c on the 15th ....It comes with one compact mag and a second that has a built on extension to full size grip and capacity.
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9c/index.html

Vicious-Peanut
January 9, 2010, 10:35 PM
I like the SR9c, but it seems like the Glock has it beat in width and it gets a longer barrel with an identical overal length. I guess I'll check one out tomorrow.

NG VI
January 9, 2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a Glock 26 to me. I love my 27, it's a fantastic pistoland shouldn't be difficult for you to conceal even considering Texas extreme flashing laws and hot hot heat.

FNP-9 or FNP-9M (if you can find one) would be excellent too.

Blues Brother
January 9, 2010, 10:52 PM
SPringfield Armory XD9 in subcompact is a great gun. I have one and its not too small to shoot. you have the option of the concealed mag or the extended grip mag. very good gun. I cant say enough good about it. I highly recommend it. its reliable, affordable, and just an all around great gun. you can also get one in a 4" with full size grip if you like better than the sub compact version. look into them. you wont be dissappointed in the XD.

Dropyourweapon
January 9, 2010, 11:06 PM
I would choose a Glock 26 or the slightly larger 19. I just picked up a super clean "like new" used 19 for $400 to round out my collection. I have a 17, 19, and 26 and all fit different needs. The 19 is comfortable and a lot of firepower in a decent size package. If packing is the main concern maybe think about the 26.

Jim PHL
January 10, 2010, 12:04 AM
S+W single-stacks carry and shoot nicely. My 3" 1911 is actually slightly easier to carry but I shoot these more so it's usually one of these on my belt. Here's a bad pic of a few good guns; 3913 and two 3953's:

okespe04
January 10, 2010, 12:08 AM
Used glock 19, I got one for $320 a while back. It has since turned into my favorite gun.

Snowdog
January 10, 2010, 12:42 AM
I purchased my Bersa UC9 Pro for $325 off Gunbroker in November. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find another at the price if you have the patience. I have absolutely no complaints with mine and only praise.
My G19 never quite fit me well, though I had a 2nd generation model without the finger grooves (which might make a difference). Other than the ergonomic, which as I'm sure you know is completely subjective, I had no complaints against the G19; it was an excellent pistol.

If you're on a strict budget, the UC9 is a great choice (as it is for those not on a budget as well). There's a plethora of used 9mm handguns out there that would fit the bill quite nicely. SOG was offering used 5906 Smith & Wessons in "very good" to "excellent" condition for quite an attractive price not too long ago. It wouldn't hurt to look into police trade-ins if you have no qualms with used handguns. Some of the best deals are found along that route.

AJChenMPH
January 10, 2010, 09:16 AM
I'm a big fan of subcompacts that take larger mags from their bigger siblings (especially if there are grip extensions to fill the gap between the butt of the frame and the mag floorplate), so a Glock 26, S&W M&P9c, SA XD9sc and a few others would be my choice. Even a CZ 2075 RAMI would work, since it has its own high capacity mags. You can CCW with the small mag, and use the larger mags for the range or carry them as your extra mag(s). You just have to handle and shoot each one to see what you like.

Disclaimer: the author of this post didn't follow his own advice. :D I wound up with three different 9mm pistols, each has its own function...

bestseller92
January 10, 2010, 01:16 PM
Glock 19.

PT1911
January 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
i have two...
Steyr M9-A1 and a CZ P07.. I like them both and recommend both.. the cz will be cheaper and easier to locate.

GRIZ22
January 10, 2010, 01:21 PM
Another Glock 19 vote. It's the best all around 9mm Glock makes.

Pilot
January 10, 2010, 03:59 PM
The CZ-75D PCR is a great choice. Its the lightweight alloy, compact version of the CZ-75. Its accurate, concealable and carries 14 + 1.

It can double as a range gun and for me is as accurate as my fullsize 75B.

earlthegoat2
January 10, 2010, 06:16 PM
In my opinion these are the best options for the criteria you desire:

Glock 19
S&W 3913
CZ-75 PCR
Kel Tec PF9
Taurus PT109

rfwobbly
January 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
I really like my CZ P-01

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/293/main293_png_637x200_q85.png

Vicious-Peanut
January 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
I went to check out some at the local Bass Pro (only place that was open). I walked in looked at the prices and walked out. They and Gander Mountain are incredible, asking 20% more for the same guns..

I do like the 3913 a lot, but i haven't seen one around here.

CDW4ME
January 10, 2010, 06:48 PM
The XD 9sc is great.

tomwalshco
January 10, 2010, 07:32 PM
I went to check out some at the local Bass Pro (only place that was open). I walked in looked at the prices and walked out. They and Gander Mountain are incredible, asking 20% more for the same guns..

Yea, what's with those guys, especially Bass. And to top it off, they NEVER have any ammo. The only reason I go in is because I drive by it all the time and they're never busy. I can stand there all afternoon and handle guns I'm thinking of buying at Bud's. Cabela's can be 6 deep at the counter and crickets are chirping over at Bass.

Floppy_D
January 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like folks recommend about 10 different guns. That must mean that different guns suit different people differently. I'd say you should go handle a few, since we can't come to a consensus for you. :D

If I had to pick a handful of small 9mm's to carry/shoot, I'd say you might want to look at a:
Sig P225 (http://www.remtek.com/arms/sig/model/225/225.htm)
Springfield XD9C (http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59)
Glock G19 (http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/index.htm)
S&W M&P (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=51901&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15711&isFirearm=Y)

MY preference would be Sig, M&P, XD and Glock, in that order. I'd gladly carry any of them. :)

searcher451
January 10, 2010, 10:06 PM
Walther P99C with the AS trigger configuration. You can get a magazine extender for it and use the 16-round mags designed for the P99, which makes it a great range gun as well as a terrific carry gun.

leadcounsel
January 11, 2010, 12:30 AM
CZ P01 or 75 compact or P07.

Glock 19

Vicious-Peanut
January 16, 2010, 10:41 PM
I just wanted to update everyone. I ended up buying a SR9, I like the fact that it is nice and thin even if the grip is tall. I hope to shoot it tomorrow, after cleaning it tonight I definitely like it, but the magazine release is super stiff, but that seems normal and people say after you shoot it a bit it loosen up nicely.

Thanks for the suggestions.

wamj2008
January 16, 2010, 10:50 PM
No one has mentioned the Taurus Slim. Pretty much fits all your criteria. (3.2" barrel I believe)

Ben86
January 16, 2010, 11:00 PM
My first inclination is to tell you the best all around CC/HD gun would be the Glock 19. However, I can tell you that after a few years, maybe not even that, you are most likely going to want a slim single stack 9mm for concealed carry for no other reason than comfort. So you might want to look at those instead and save yourself the drawn out discovery process many have been through. The above mentioned Taurus 709 slim might be a good start.

Headless
January 16, 2010, 11:02 PM
S&W 3913 or one of it's bretheren

soonerboomer
January 17, 2010, 12:22 AM
I've thought through this question quite a bit myself. For a concealed carry/home defense "one gun", I'd pick the Glock 26, or, the Smith and Wesson M&P9c. Overall, I'd give the edge to the M&P9c because of better ergonomics, capacity, sights, customer service, and the laser/light rail. However, if it was primarily for carry, I'd go with the Glock 26 since its slightly smaller and lighter. 9mm ammo is adequate, yet less expensive than other calibers. Both guns take the higher capacity mags of their big brothers.

bdb benzino
January 17, 2010, 12:31 AM
I can tell you that after a few years, maybe not even that, you are most likely going to want a slim single stack 9mm for concealed carry for no other reason than comfort. So you might want to look at those instead and save yourself the drawn out discovery process many have been through.

That is exactly what I did when I started getting active about CC. I still have a few double stack hi-cap mag pistols, but most of my attention has moved to easily concealed weapons with a single stack mag (or a snubbie).

Vicious-Peanut
January 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
Well I got to shoot it this morning. First few magazines went well, then I got a stovepipe. Then I switched to some magtech with had a much different nose profile than the WWB I had been shooting and it didn't do too well. I switched back to the WWB and had some more stovepipes, I believe I was limpwristing due to the recoil being faster than I expected, so I changed my form and had no more issues for the next 60ish rounds. I hope to shoot it again next weekend.

I like it, and I don't agree with the claims of it's accuracy being bad, it ate the enter out of my target pretty easily.

ernest.t.bass
January 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
Two words.

#1-Smith

#2-Wesson

try a Cop trade in 6906. You can pick between 12 rd mags or us 15rd full size mags, or even the 17rd Mec-Gars

Kingofthehill
January 17, 2010, 08:52 PM
Springfield XD9c!

JOe

Ben86
January 18, 2010, 03:16 PM
Vicious, you made a good choice, ruger makes a good gun. That sr-9 has a really nice feel to it.

Jed Carter
January 18, 2010, 08:48 PM
I daily carry the CZ 75D PCR, it also makes for a good range and IDPA pistol. My next choice would be the Glock G19, both conceal well, shoot great and handle recoil fine, CZ PCR just fits my hand like a glove.

jwsturr
January 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
I bought a SR9 back in Nov 09, my first handgun. I shot range guns G17, G19, S&W M&P, Sig 226, SR9, and P95. I know I wanted a 9mm and I was going to buy the one I like best. These were guns sitting on a wall and being rented day after day. I'm guessing hundreds, if not thousands of rounds gone through them and probably not being cleaned every night. Everyone of them shot excellent. I narrowed down further to G19 and SR9. I held both new at the counter and went SR9. A week later brought it home cleaned it and went back to the range. First round FTF...Second round stovepipe...Took it out to the counter removed the barrel and oiled it again. Back to the lane and it was better. I loaded 10 rounds in 17 round mag. Nineth round stovepipe. Went through 50 rounds of Rem UMC 115g first time out. No more FTF but a couple more stovepipes.

Second visit to the range brought 100 rounds CCI blazer brass 115g. I couldn't hit anything if I tried. The trigger seemed gritty. And my 17 year old nephew 8 out of 10 rounds stovepipe, probably his technique, but it was extremely sensistive to limpwristing. I tried along with 2 other people to load the 17th round in one of the mags and couldn't do it, the other was fine. I went home not a happy camper.

Third range visit I tried PMC factory loads 115g from local indoor range selling it as range ammo. Started to settle down a little and was able get smaller groups. But still not the same as the SR9 range gun I first tried. When I got it new I noticed everything was really stiff mag release, slide lock, recoil spring, and safety. Naturally being a new gun everything should be tight and stiff. I really liked everything about it except the firing part.

IMO I think the SR9 might make a good range pistol after about a 1000 rounds. But I see the "what pistol would you bet you life on out of the box" thread and I can't say that I would out of the box. In my haste I traded it at a huge loss for a new G19 and 300 rounds later, zero problems.

This might not be a story peanut wants to hear but this was my experience and had to vent. I'm still new to THR and wish peanut nothing but the best with his SR9. In fishing we say "tight lines" what do you guys say here "tight groups"??

joe_security
January 19, 2010, 10:47 AM
I agree with Jim PHL, The single stack S&W are very concealable. You will find them very accurate at the range. The Glocks are thicker at the grip. Glock reliabilty is proven beyond a doubt. A Glock 19 can do anything a full size pistol can do, IMHO. I fired a G26 recently, I could not make it jam one handed, limp wrist, etc. Its a low round count pistol that the owner seldom fires. Another winner. What ever fits your hand.

ol' scratch
January 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
The CZ 75B. It is a little bigger, but I purchased mine new for $475 a year ago. It is a little heavier, but it is comfortable to shoot, balances well in a holster (I almost don't notice it), and has 16+1 capacity. It has the same 'pointability' as a Browning Hipower with greater capacity.

Jacky Treehorn
January 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
CZ P01 gets my vote. It's the most perfect size I could imagine for a versatile gun, accurate as hell, and looks good :D

NinjaFeint
January 19, 2010, 11:38 PM
Kahr CW9 is what I would recommend. Slim, smooth trigger and under $500.

Ben86
January 20, 2010, 11:13 AM
And heavy as a brick after several hours.

If you enjoyed reading about "Multi-purpose 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!