HD Load for M1 Carbine

PDA

The_Pretender
January 10, 2010, 12:11 AM
So I think I finally settled on the M1 carbine for my home defense needs. I don't see it ever happening, and I hope it never does. It seems the best solution for my situation in regards to control, lethality, accuracy and penetration.

I thought about handloading rounds for it, and wanted to know what some of you thought about this bullet here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=729749

The only thing I am wondering, are they a little too light, or would a heavier soft point be more effective? I absolutely love the XTP's in my handgun loads.

I don't believe I will have a feeding issue, as this is listed in my 7th ed. Hornady reload manual with an C.O.L. of 1.550" and the maximum C.O.L of 1.680".

I figure a few minutes with a caliper can arrive at the right feed length for my rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "HD Load for M1 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LeonCarr
January 10, 2010, 12:19 AM
The 110 grain bullet is pretty much the standard for the .30 Carbine, and either soft points or hollow points are available. The Winchester 110 grain hollow point factory load has a good rep.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

GRIZ22
January 10, 2010, 12:42 AM
The m1 carbine was designed to operate within certain parameters (110 gr bullet 1900-2000 fps) and you're better off staying within them. Use a 110 jsp or jhp (whatever feeds better for you) and an appropriate powder charge. If you hit something with a 110 jsp in this configuration it will swear it was hit by a XTP.

counterclockwise
January 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
Here is another one you might want to look at:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=1803&dir=278|281|293|324|679

Error, see below.

counterclockwise
January 10, 2010, 04:14 PM
Error: Yesterday I recommended looking at Hornady #3010 Spire Point 110 grain. However, after reading the article by Venturino in Dec. 2008 Handloader Journal, I retract my suggestion. Apparently, any departure from the round nose 110 grain, results in feed problems with the carbine (jam ups in the feed shute).

He had tried the Speer 110 Gr .308 Hollow Point, and the Hornady 90 Gr HP/XTP but had little success with feeding. He only lists two jacketed bullets and one cast lead bullet.
To quote: "...Neither the Speer nor the Hornady hollow point bullets would feed at all. And, I mean AT ALL." "...On the other hand, those FMJ and JSP bullets shaped like original .30 carbine military bullets fed flawlessly."

The third bullet was from a Redding/SAECO bullet mould number 302, 115 gr, poured from straight linotype and fitted with gas checks. He also said because the case spaces on the case mouth and it is an autoloader, the dies should include a taper crimp feature.

110 Gr Speer JSP, 110 Sierra FMJ, 110 Hornady JSP, and 110 Hornady FMJ were the bullets that worked apparently.

The JSP still has the round nose profile but shows lead at the apex of the dome.

MichaelK
January 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
I've gotten excellent results with Lyman's 130 grain RN and H110 powder. I cast that in Lyman #2 alloy (90/5/5% lead/tin/antimony). Feeds flawlessly and I get less than 1" groups at 25 yards. Using brass I've picked up off the ground, I figure I'm shooting them for about 7 cents per round.

Roccobro
January 11, 2010, 01:30 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=336780

When I wanted my M1 ready for HD, I read up. This bullet was recommended from several articles, and from several users here on THR.

However, I haven't gotten any farther than getting a back ordered 100 count of them finally and life only getting busier...

Justin

loadedround
January 11, 2010, 09:15 AM
I have loaded for the M1 Carbine and the 30C Ruger Blackhawk for many years now and have found that the 30 cal M1 carbine was designed around the 110 FMJ bullet, and may or may not feed or function with a spitzer type bullet properly. Since I have never tried them in the Carbine I can't say for sure. However I have been loading the Speer 110 gr jacketed soft nose bullet for years and it functions 100% in both mine and my sons GI Carbines.

orrwdd
January 11, 2010, 01:47 PM
+1 on the 110gr JSP. Wouldn't depend on good feeding with any JHP.

Bill

ka041a
January 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
I've had trouble with the soft point pistol bullets feeding reliably in my m1 carbine. Whereas the 110fmj bullets are rock solid reliable, which is what i would look for first in a home defense weapon. Just my opinion...

bubba15301
January 12, 2010, 08:01 PM
just buy a box of 110gr. softpoint or hp factory loads

Madcap_Magician
January 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
I believe there is a .30 carbine Gold Dot loading now. I can't seem to find it on Speer's site now, but I saw an article referencing it a while ago.

Grump
January 13, 2010, 01:02 AM
Sierra 110-gr spire point hollowpoints feed just fine in the two Carbines I've tried them in.

I think it's because my mags are clean and the springs are okay.

I also suspect that the 95-gr XTPs are originally intended for the .30-caliber pistol rounds and might expand a bit too rapidly if one's home defense opponent were a bit on the thick side. Being XTPs, they most likely wouldn't blow up (might require 2100 fps or less), but I would expect penetration to be a bit short.

If you enjoyed reading about "HD Load for M1 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!