Best gun for under $150

PDA

mephisto
November 13, 2003, 05:46 PM
Best gun for under $150. All opinions are welcome. If you would like to get specific i.e. CCW, accuracy, reliability or just fun do it

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun for under $150" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
November 13, 2003, 05:51 PM
There should be a FAQ file around here somewhere.

I'd say Makarov, except the price is creeping up past the limit you set (paid $170 last time).

10-Ring
November 13, 2003, 05:54 PM
I'd go w/ the used Taurus revolver...mod 85 I think. A buddy at work just bought one for $100 from his neighbor.

Nathanael_Greene
November 13, 2003, 06:03 PM
This is a little like "Best dinner for two for under $10." Not a wide range of tasty options.

If you can find a nice used Taurus 85 for $150 out-the-door, buy every one you see. You'll be lucky to find a Rossi for that amount (though you could do worse, based on my experience).

A used .38 is probably your best bet, though. Any autos are going to be pretty cheap, in ways you're not likely to admire.

Dr.Rob
November 13, 2003, 06:15 PM
Used SW Model 10, or FEG PA-63 in 9mm mak or 380.

I paid just over $100 for my FEG .380. Good serviceable pistol. Problem is good serviceable pistols from behind the former iron curtain anre getting more and more expensive.

cma g21
November 13, 2003, 06:26 PM
Makarov or PA-63. I have both (actually, I gave the Mak to my son). I really like the PA-63.

Scarface
November 13, 2003, 06:54 PM
Hi mephisto,

Since you are posting in the autoloader section, I'm guessing automatics are your focus.

I've had my Makarov for well over 10 yuears, with thousands of rounds through it and never had a malfunction never. Ammo is reasonable, so you can shoot all you want. It has a fixed barrel and really accura6te.

I receommend the Bulgarian with fixed sights. I think SOG has them for $139.00. If you want to pretty it up, the guys at Makarov.com offer plenty of options at reasonable prices. They're nice people, as well. I just put blackwood grips on mine, so now it shoots better than I do and it looks better than me, too.

Be well,

Scarface

dukeofurl
November 13, 2003, 08:28 PM
S&W K frame.

SirVette
November 13, 2003, 08:37 PM
FEG in an auto for reliability, accuracy, CCW.

DMK
November 13, 2003, 08:39 PM
No good for CCW, but lots of fun at the range.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=602731

Oracle
November 13, 2003, 09:07 PM
If you look hard, sometimes you can find a Kel-Tec P11 for $150 or under. That would be my choice. That, or one of the used Taurus .38's.

Marko Kloos
November 13, 2003, 09:12 PM
If I had to get a defensive handgun for $150, I'd get a Makarov without a second thought.

PCRCCW
November 13, 2003, 09:20 PM
Makarov.........plain and simple. The CZ52 is a stellar defensive gun...if you have one bullet left and 4 BG's all lined up nice and straight :D :rolleyes:
Shoot well.................

Trempel
November 13, 2003, 09:50 PM
Makarovs are always a good bet, but now they are hard to find for under 150. FEG PA-63 is pretty cool, and I love mine, but it doesn't feed hollow points with the same reliability as the Mak, plus the grip shape on it makes it painful after about 100 rounds. PA-63 is lighter than the Makarov, due to it's aluminum frame, so if you're planning to carry, that's a consideration. For revolvers, a used Rossi .38 can be found for under 150. I have M68 Rossi, with a 5-round cylinder and a 2" barrel. It was purchased new by my father about 12 years ago. I had it for the last 4 and have put ~3000 rounds through it. The trigger on it is not like a finely-tuned Smith, but otherwise it's a great little revolver.

James Bondrock
November 14, 2003, 12:19 AM
"Best gun for under $150" borders on oxymoronic. ;)

makarov
November 14, 2003, 12:51 AM
How could I reccommend anything but my namesake. While the Bulgarians are still around grab one. You can also find Maks used for under $150. My locals shop has a Russian for $149, but it is a little rough around the edges. I'm sure it is still reliable however. I found an E. German used for $179. Yes, I am gloating here, but there are deals out there for cheap guns. Russian, E. German, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Polish Argentinian and Czech guns are tremendous deals. The power of a global economy. I hesitate to buy Chinese products, but since no more Chinese Maks are ever coming in you can buy one if you can find one.

Other guns to look for:

FEG PJK-9HP - Hi Power clone (Hungary)
Arcus 94 - Bulgarian Hi -Power
Bersa have heard they are reliable, never owned one.
CZ - anything
Argentinian HP's
used Rugers - you can't kill them.

If you can up your price to $200 it opens a lot more doors....

wardog
November 14, 2003, 01:43 AM
CZ 52, around $100
Star BM, around $130

My best for that price was a nib FEG PMK-380. It's a Walther PP clone. Very well made gun for $160

PCRCCW
November 14, 2003, 10:34 AM
James Bondrock

Question?????

"Best gun for under $150" borders on oxymoronic."

In what regard? Accuracy, reliability, stopping power?

Just curious..................

Shoot well........

Matthew_Q
November 14, 2003, 10:35 AM
I'd throw a vote for the Star BM. I'm picking up a couple this weekend at a store up in Dallas. From what I've read, if you don't get a problem child, they're quite a nice little pistol. Since AIM and SOG has/had them for about $130, they're a hella deal!

Tropical Z
November 14, 2003, 12:10 PM
Nothing beats the firepower of a CZ-52 for the price!

mtnbkr
November 14, 2003, 12:50 PM
Based on my personal experiences, a Star BM or Makarov. I'd give the nod to the Star for ammo compatibility and availability, but on the Makarov for parts availability (for repairs).

Chris

David4516
November 14, 2003, 04:46 PM
Is this a trick question or something? MAKAROV!!!

http://makarov.stsland.ru/makarov1.jpg

These things are like the Energizer bunny... They just keep going and going. My Mak has been 100% reliable with any and all ammo I've tried. It has NEVER jamed. There are guns out there that cost alot more and jam all the time. Higher price doesn't always equal better gun, despite what some might tell you.

Once you go Mak you don't go back :p

CZ52GUY
November 14, 2003, 06:06 PM
...CZ52:D

OR

Mak' if you can find one under $150 OTD...

re: Best Gun < $150 = "Oxymoronic" :rolleyes:

Saved yourself with the "borders" disclaimer buddy :neener:

Either you've never shot a Mak' or CZ52, or you don't deserve to ;) .

Have a great weekend,

CZ52'

tbeb
November 14, 2003, 06:58 PM
For a pocket gun: Older Charter Arms Undercover .38 which is a .38 special snubby with an empty weight of 16 ozs. You can find one for $140-$150 in excellent condition. (Usually, but not always, you can tell it's an older one if the ejector rod in not shrouded.)

Solinvictus70
November 15, 2003, 01:24 AM
Chinese Tokarev clone in 7.62X25 for $80 and a CZ-70 in .32ACP for $100.

James Bondrock
November 15, 2003, 03:10 AM
"James Bondrock

Question?????

"Best gun for under $150" borders on oxymoronic."

In what regard? Accuracy, reliability, stopping power?"

The O-word means a contradiction in terms, not intelligence. In the list of great guns for under $150, how many have we come up with? A first quality new gun costs far more than that, and even a used example of a first quality gun is still more. Now, if I needed a gun and $150 were absolutely all I had, I would certainly buy a surplus Makarov or CZ-52 in preference to a Jennings, Hi-Point, etc. But I have no real desire to acquire either. (Personal taste.)

James Bondrock
November 15, 2003, 03:16 AM
"Saved yourself with the "borders" disclaimer buddy

Either you've never shot a Mak' or CZ52, or you don't deserve to ."

Saved yourself with the smiley after that, buddy. Otherwise I would have told you to never presume to tell me what I deserve. ;)

Coronach
November 15, 2003, 03:45 AM
gentlemen...

Lets keep it civil.

That said-

There is not a darned thing wrong with either the CZ-52 or the makarov, from a quality perspective. Both are rugged and will go bang, every time.

Mike

David4516
November 15, 2003, 05:44 AM
I have to dis-agree. This is just my opinion of course, but I think the Makarov design is much better than the CZ-52s...

BeLikeTrey
November 15, 2003, 08:23 AM
Got one at a gunshow. By the way where is that loophole again?:rolleyes: (I had to do paperwork on it.) I really enjoy this firearm alot. Never have trouble with it and Federal Arms Catologue has many "drop in barrels" to fit this gun as well. Mine was 9x18 and I converted it to .380 with a drop in from Federal arms. And not one word frome you .380 debunkers...:p It seems to be quite potent with wincleans.
NOTE: have a dremel tool handy for your drop in barrel, to fix the feed ramp. Mine was not feeding right until I touched the feed ramp up. Other than that... great shooter.

Seriously, it really is one of my favorite guns, and accessories and stuff are relatively cheap. Look into one.

PCRCCW
November 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
Ill keep civil. :scrutiny: Ill disagree..quite a bit.

Thanks for the definition..but I knew what it meant.:D Thus the question about in what way are the guns mentioned a contridiction...accuracy, reliability etc.........

My point was they are not a contradiction buy any means....a great gun for the price mentioned will be harder to find than a 4-700 dollar gun...but their are more than a couple out there.

FEG .380
FEG 9x18
FEG 9mm
Makarov of all makes
Star BM
CZ 70
CZ 52
Star B

Would I take on over a CZ or a Sig...nope. I carry one as a BUG though.

Do I trust it........yep, with my life.

Shoot well..................

KeysBear
November 15, 2003, 06:41 PM
I have two Bulgarian Makarovs that average out to less than $150. apiece. I don't even have to say "for the money" these are great guns. They are simply great guns period.

I saw two others mentioned that I own - the Charter Arms Undercover .38 is a great pocket gun, but I paid $170. for an older one in mint condition. I also have the Kel-Tec P-11, and for $150. would pick up another one if I could.

Best regards, Keys :cool:

Pilot
November 16, 2003, 10:23 AM
Makarov.

cigarman
November 16, 2003, 07:36 PM
Makarov and PA-63 in that order. I have a number of both and the PA-63 is my primary carry gun.

Bainx
November 17, 2003, 08:44 PM
Go for the Mak. Every time I look at mine, it's hard to believe what I got for $150!:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun for under $150" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!