22 Hornet: Primers

PDA

depoloni
January 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
Just picked up a 22 Hornet T/C barrel (24", blued, opens, 1:14 twists with a 3-9x40 on it) and can't WAIT to get to load playing and testing for it.

Only interested in accuracy, this will be my "reloadable rimfire" per se so it has its own niche. I have a 225AI (think 22-250) already so there's no need or want to push things.

I've come across load data from a number of sources on my shelf and on the web from various manufacturers - and have myself a quandry.

MOST of the data lists small rifle primers, but I have come across several sources that list data worked up with small pistol primers - specifically CCI 500's. I presume both to be safe despite the slightly different primer seat depths, and working up from starting loads... but would like a more experienced "hornet-er's" opinion!

Have Rem 7-1/2 BR's, CCI 400's, and magtech SR's to use but have a bigger, more varied selection of small pistol primers.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 Hornet: Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EddieNFL
January 10, 2010, 09:29 PM
Might try Rem 6-1/2.

Rancho Relaxo
January 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
I have better accuracy using small pistol primers rather than SRP's.

mbopp
January 11, 2010, 11:14 AM
In my .218 Bee Contender the Remy 6-1/2's group better than the CCI SR BR. When the weather breaks I'll try some small pistol primers too.
Rumor has it Hodgdon Lil' Gun is a good powder for the Hornet.

Chamacat
January 11, 2010, 11:51 AM
That's what I use Remington's 6 1/2...And 13.5 grains of AA1680..with a 35 grain Hornandy V-Max...And it's the load for my Browning Micro Hunter..tried the "Lil Gun"..didn't do very good..

RidgwayCO
January 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
Both the Speer #14 and Accurate #2 manuals use small pistol primers in the .22 Hornet, while the Lyman #49 and Hornady #6 use small rifle primers.

Speer says that using small pistol primers in the Hornet "... improved performance and reduced extreme variations in velocity." From personal experience, I do see tighter ES and SD numbers with the CCI 500 primers. YMMV.

depoloni
January 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the assistance gents.

Think what I'm going to do is a little experimenting myself. Going to load a number of combos from min to max with both small pistol and rifle primers.

Haven't seen any 6-1/2's around and believe the 7-1/2 BR's to be a bit hotter, so I'll stick with the CCI 400's to start. Then try the same load workups with the pistol primers, probably starting with CCI 500's and then going to either federals or wsp's from there. Will post back what the results are when I have enough to draw conclusions.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 Hornet: Primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!