Good, Reliable 380 at a good price.

PDA

Flyfrod
January 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
A friend of mine is looking for a 380 for carry and plinking. There are a lot on the market, so which is the on that wont kill your wallet but still fun to shoot and carry concealed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good, Reliable 380 at a good price." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dwhite
January 11, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi-Point.

Should leave lots of money for ammo, if they can find it.

All the Best,
D. White

GlockFan
January 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
The obvious are LCP and P3AT.. $250-$300. But the .380 ammo can but tough to get. Cabelas has some for $149 for 500 rds.

Just One Shot
January 11, 2010, 03:50 PM
LCP is my choice but I loaded up on .380 a couple of months back when I found it on sale.

The Bersa Thunder is another one I use to own. Great shooter and dependable but you can get a 9mm in a slightly larger frame that weighs about the same.

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 04:04 PM
LCP over the Kel-Tec only because I like the finish better. They are both reliable and cheap.

19-3Ben
January 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
LCP by a mile. much better fit/finish than the P3AT, much smoother trigger, and in my experience, it's much more reliable.

For only about $15 more than the P3AT, you get a LOT more gun for the money.

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
http://www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm

Scroll to the bottom...Anybody want a Raspberry LCP?

19-3Ben
January 11, 2010, 04:29 PM
LOL. I just got Hoffman's e-mail about that and thought, WTH!?!?!?!?

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 04:33 PM
I know a few girl's I bet will be buying them. Hell, I might if I wanted an LCP. I'd save the $20 bucks and consider it would be a distraction if I had to use it in defense. They would be too busy staring at my hot pink pistol to react.

19-3Ben
January 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
Not nice to shoot a man while he's rolling on the floor laughing!!! Very un-sportsmanly!:p

MCgunner
January 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
Fine fit and finish, stainless slide, and slide lock on the last round.......

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/738SS.jpg

Taurus PT738

RockchuckerII
January 11, 2010, 05:29 PM
I like the Sig 232 in stainless.

searcher451
January 11, 2010, 05:32 PM
Walther PP, PPK, PPK/S. Look for bargains; if you are patient, they are still out there.

CJ
January 11, 2010, 05:54 PM
Carryable and fun to shoot? I'd go with the Bersa (just be sure to get some extra magazines at the same time since they seem as common as hen's teeth).

The LCP is great, and I carry one, but I wouldn't rate it as 'fun to shoot'.

mordechaianiliewicz
January 11, 2010, 05:58 PM
Kel-Tec for less money. Sig for more money

distra
January 11, 2010, 06:39 PM
I personally don't see the attraction with .380's these days. My PF9, which shoots a real 9mm round and is more effective as a SD round, is not that much bigger than the LCP. It can easily be pocket carried or clipped IWB. Seems to me like marketing hype has taken over. I owned a BDA for a while, fit the hand nicely, but was not really that fun to shoot. Oh well, to each his own, but I'd suggest a 9mm over .380 any day.

19-3Ben
January 11, 2010, 06:46 PM
I can carry my LCP in my pocket all day every day.
I tried a PF9 and it was way too big for comfortable pocket carry for me. The pf9 would have been relegated to belt-duty.
When I can't carry a gun on my belt, the .380 is what I carry. That's the purpose of the .380. I'm not a huge fan of the caliber, but for a REAL pocket gun it cannot be beat.
This is especially true when you realize that the competition in size is the .25acp, and .32acp which are significantly less effective.

The Lone Haranguer
January 11, 2010, 06:52 PM
No personal experience, but I've read good reviews of the Bersa "Thunder" series. These are not really pocket-sized except in maybe a trench coat, but are still very slim and compact for a belt gun.

harmon rabb
January 11, 2010, 06:56 PM
Carryable and fun to shoot? I'd go with the Bersa (just be sure to get some extra magazines at the same time since they seem as common as hen's teeth).

This. LCP is NOT in any way fun to shoot. In fact, it's the exact opposite of fun to shoot. It's frustrating and painful.

The bersa is a complete joy to shoot. I own 8 handguns, and my bersa is probably my favorite to shoot. Mild recoil, nice trigger, VERY accurate. It conceals easily in a IWB holster and is pretty light.

WRGADog
January 11, 2010, 07:15 PM
great gun, but more expensive than most.

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 07:26 PM
No personal experience, but I've read good reviews of the Bersa "Thunder" series. These are not really pocket-sized except in maybe a trench coat, but are still very slim and compact for a belt gun.
You can get a 9mm about the same size for the same price. Why compromise if you are going to be at that size?

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
This. LCP is NOT in any way fun to shoot. In fact, it's the exact opposite of fun to shoot. It's frustrating and painful.

The bersa is a complete joy to shoot. I own 8 handguns, and my bersa is probably my favorite to shoot. Mild recoil, nice trigger, VERY accurate. It conceals easily in a IWB holster and is pretty light.
The LCP is not painful it just jumps alot. Perfectly adequate for what it is needed for.

harmon rabb
January 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
I carry a LCP. Try shooting 100 rounds in a session through one, then let me know whether or not you think it's painful ;)

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 08:29 PM
I carry a LCP. Try shooting 100 rounds in a session through one, then let me know whether or not you think it's painful ;)
You'd be broke too.

19-3Ben
January 11, 2010, 08:39 PM
My first range session with my LCP I fired 150 rounds. No problem.

Everybody's perception of recoil is different.

otcconan
January 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
Just my 2 cents: the Beretta 93 is quite nice. Basically a scaled-down 92 (M9). My brother carries one in his boot. :)

StarDust1
January 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
I see little or no point to the .380, particularly considering the cost & difficulty in obtaining ammo for them.
However, if you're heart is set on one, I'd not consider a single pistol listed on this thread other then perhaps a Beretta, nope, if it has to be a .380 the very best pistol in this caliber to be had is from CZ! The CZ83 is, for the money, the finest .380 caliber pistol on planet earth, an absolute tack driver that holds 13-rounds and can be had in satin nickel for about $420.00....

harmon rabb
January 11, 2010, 09:09 PM
ninjataint, 380 isn't hard to find around here. it's no more expensive than 45 either.

NinjaFeint
January 11, 2010, 09:51 PM
ninjataint, 380 isn't hard to find around here. it's no more expensive than 45 either.
I can get Blazer 9mm for 9.50/50. Any .380 I see is 15.00/50. This is a substantial price difference in a gun that will be shot for fun. I have no problem with .380 but if I am getting something as large as a PF9, P11 or even PM9 in .380, I would rather get one of those and have the more powerful and cheap ammo.

MedWheeler
January 11, 2010, 10:01 PM
CZs look good, but I do not have one. I already own two .380 pistols, so will not be getting another. First is a Grendel P-10, that I got back around 1988. Took some work to get this ten-rounder to shoot well. Back then, it was regarded as remarkably compact for a gun holding that many rounds of a viable defensive round. That was accomplished by making the magazine strictly internal, meaning not removable. The gun is loaded through the ejection port, and even came with M-1 stripper clips for doing this. The real fun with this gun comes only from its "uniqueness". It's not particularly pleasant to shoot, and is larger than its grandchild, the Kel-Tec P3AT.
My other one is a Bersa Thunder, to which I also give a nod. Good shooter, big enough to be easier to point, and around 60 percent of the price of the CZ-83 (and holds 60 percent of the ammo of the 83.) I'm carrying this one now..

NMGonzo
January 11, 2010, 10:12 PM
The Bersa Thunder is another one I use to own. Great shooter and dependable but you can get a 9mm in a slightly larger frame that weighs about the same.

I can conceal the bersa with my belly band under my tucked shirt, whereas I cannot do the same with my p2000sk.

huntsman
January 11, 2010, 10:51 PM
so which is the on that wont kill your wallet but still fun to shoot and carry concealed?

There are a lot of reasons to choose one carry gun over another but cost shouldn't be the only reason. Skimp on your plinker but spend more than you can afford on the carry gun.

Speedo66
January 11, 2010, 11:57 PM
What does he want it for?

Target shooting, plinking, pocket carry?

Different gun for each choice.

harmon rabb
January 12, 2010, 06:23 AM
There are a lot of reasons to choose one carry gun over another but cost shouldn't be the only reason. Skimp on your plinker but spend more than you can afford on the carry gun.

Eh, no real need to spend a boatload these days. Bud's has LCP's for $299, delivered. They're well made and reliable. Never had an issue with mine. I know 4 other people with them, and they've never had an issue either.

usp9
January 12, 2010, 06:24 AM
You can't go wrong with one of these. All fine pistols.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Beretta/TEST004.jpg

smoketheresfire
January 12, 2010, 12:02 PM

Bersa's rock. I don't own one but have shot a few. Nice triggers, very accurate (shoots almost just like a PPK/S). If I were going to carry a .380 that would be it. For looking pretty though I'd rather have a PPK/S (just don't want it getting all dinged up during carry)

19-3Ben
January 12, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have a Sig P232 and like it, but I can't see carrying .380 guns the size of the P232, Bersa, CZ83, etc...

Guns have come a long way since these blowback operated guns were first designed. I just bought a Kahr K40. Same size and weight as the P232 except that now I can carry .40cal which is way more powerful than .380.
Similarly, the LCP shoots the same .380 as my Sig, but is tiny and almost weightless in comparison.

These guns are just too darn big for their caliber.

And yes i know, recoil with a heavier caliber,.... but a Kahr K9 actually has less recoil than my P232 because of the recoil operation rather than the blowback. With blowback having higher recoil, the walther/p232/bersa style guns have higher recoil than they ought to.

Now, I should say that I do still love the P232. It's accurate, smooth, beautifully made, and absolutely gorgeous. nice range toy. But for carry? It's just outclassed these days.

group17
January 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
Bersa 380 duo w/9 round mag
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/sikider/bersa3809.jpg

Biggums
April 10, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'll take my Sig 232 any day. Lots of money tho but worth the quality for a lifetime gun. At 17.8 oz and easy to pack it wins any other hands down.

The LCP is a nice alternative especially price wise.

krimmie
April 10, 2010, 09:14 PM
I shot my friends LCP today. My impression was that is a well made gun, very light and concealable, but not a fun gun for plinking.

christcorp
April 11, 2010, 01:05 AM
With today's economy and the price and availability of ammo, there are NO good choices for a 380. Just doesn't make any sense. Not when you can get 9mm and 9mm makarov pistols that are about the same size, with the same amount of recoil, with easy availability of ammo and half the price. For those where recoil is very important, such as my 64 year old mom, a 32acp is a better choice yet. While 380 might appear to be somewhat popular, and I DO OWN ONE, it is really a dead caliber. Dead in the respect that there's nothing about the caliber that makes it better than any of the characteristics of a 32acp, 9mm makarov, or 9mm. High, Low, or anything in between, the 380 just isn't a practical caliber any longer. Now, take away the availability and cost of ammo, as in a few years ago, and it's an OK choice. But today, there's no way I'd even consider one.

Get a small 9mm and shoot 100 grain powerball, and you're shooting basically the same recoil and performance of a 380. Shoot a 95-100 grain makarov, and you're shooting basically the same recoil and performance as a 380. Shoot a Buffalo-Bore 32acp, and you're shooting as good or better recoil and performance as a 380acp. So why have a 380? Any of the other 3 calibers can give you the performance of a 380, with the advantages of it's own caliber. Plus, they are all cheaper and more available.

If you already had a 380 before the ammo shortage and price inflation, that would be a different story. Reloading is fine for some people, but it's not always cheaper. Not when you still have to buy ammo to start a stock of brass, or buy the brass separately. Plus the cost of the reloading equipment. If you already reload, and it's simply a $25 additional cost for some 380 dies, that's not too bad. But you still have to get the brass, which means buying brass or buying 380 ammo so you'll have brass. And you can't reload the same brass forever. No, the 380 makes very little sense.

PX15
April 11, 2010, 09:50 AM
JMOfartO:

Well, the questions posed in the original post was what is a "good, reliable 380 FOR CARRY AND PLINKING at a good price"..

I wish the gentleman had mentioned whether "carry" or "plinking" was of higher priority...

I think most of us who prefer to carry a pistol chambered in the 380 round do so because of it's size and ease of concealment, NOT because we are in love with the particular caliber.

CONCEALED carry was not mentioned as a requirement, but I believe it was implied.. Open carry is a different kettle of fish altogether... Heck, if I could carry openly I wouldn't be carrying "no" mousegun anyway.

Additionally, I'd say the scarcity, and expense, of 380cal. ammo would take a lot of fun out of the "plinking" part for me personally...

I have two 380's.

The LWS380 is extremely tiny, crafted of top quality materials, and has proven to be absolutely reliable, and more than self defense range accurate.. I would suggest (respectfully, not looking for trouble) to harmon rabb that if he thinks the LCP is frustrating and painful to shoot I would suggest he has never had the "pleasure?" of shooting the tiny Seecamp LWS380.

I find the LCP almost pleasurable to shoot in comparison.

BUT, the Seecamp is extremely small and has no external sights.... By design.. There are times when, because of concealment issues, only the Seecamp can make the trip... And for those times, nothing else is finer.

I will admit that when I'm carrying my LWS380 I pray that I won't have to shoot it in self defense because the old saying "this will hurt me as much as it will you" always comes to mind. :(

On the other hand, the Ruger LCP, especially when equipped with the excellent Crimson Trace Laser becomes a fine concealed carry choice, capable of amazing accuracy, and IN MY EXPERIENCE, no harsh recoil or drama...

The LCP conceals easily, but of course not as easily as the smaller LWS380.

NOW, IF the person asking the question has no need for a tiny firearm, I would have to agree with the other posters who say why go with the 380cal round at all?

If you can accept a larger, yet still reasonably concealable pistol or revolver then get a sub-compact 9MM pistol, or 38cal. Snubby revolver such as the new Ruger LCR (w/CT Laser).

I love the looks and qualities of the larger 380cal Beretta's and Sig's, no doubt about their beauty and performance, but they are simply too large for serious cc... And you can get a 9MM in about the same package.

I have a friend who loves her Bersa Thunder 380.. I have basically the same pistol in 22cal (Firestorm FS22) and a better "feeling" pistol in the hand I've yet to find. But a BT380 would be too large, FOR ME, for cc.

I think the BT380 is an excellent choice for a person who is willing to accept the 380cal round in a larger package for whatever reason.. (hand strength, etc.)

If I were asked for a recommendation in a small pistol for cc for personal defense I'd say the Ruger LCP (which as we all know is a prettied up KT P3AT) because of my experience with the one I have. I guess if a person wanted to save $25 or so the P3AT would be a good choice.

IF I were asked for a recommendation for the easiest to conceal 380 pistol, of the highest quality, and desirability, I'd say the Seecamp LWS380 by a mile.

But LWS380's are hard to find, pricey, and I'd be lying if I said they were fun to shoot..

Of course if you were shooting in defense of your life I doubt the potential for unpleasant finger pain would not be high on your list of concerns at the time. And the tiny Seecamp WILL shoot every time and at close up and personal self defense range it'll put holes in the target as well as any other firearm would.

So, for practical cc duty, the LCP wins my vote by personal experience, and if a person wants the Rolex of mini-pocket cannons, the Seecamp LWS380 is the only game in town.

Before someone asks me about the new Sig Mustang clone I'd say that usually I love all things Sig, but personally I just don't want a single-action anything for personal defense.

When the ball falls I don't want to have to do anything but pull the trigger and you can't just do that with a single action firearm, no matter it's good qualities..

And before the "cocked and locked" crowd nails me I want to say my comments are personal perspective only, and no offense is intended to anyone, period..

Personal choice is a fine thing, and my comments are related strictly to what I have found works for me.

Best Wishes,

jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1852.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1857.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1818.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1833.jpg

Vimes74
April 11, 2010, 09:57 AM
PX15, Just browsing through this thread and wanted to say thanks for the well-thought out and informative post.

Pilot
April 11, 2010, 10:01 AM
Plinking? Unless you reload for the .380 ACP and I do, your not going to find enough ammo or be able to justify the cost of plinking. Get a Ruger MK II or Browning Buckmark .22LR for that.

That being said, the pistols USP9 showed are amomg the best in this caliber and are better shooters than the micro LCP and the like. I have a Beretta M85FS which is a great shooter and a Makarov in .380 and several in 9MM Mak that are all great shooters.

My choices would be the Beretta or Sig for .380.

TexasBill
April 11, 2010, 12:06 PM
Walther PK380. It's not a postage-stamp like the LCP, which I find quite unpleasant to shoot, but it's about the same price (I've seen them locally for $369.00), has much less recoil, holds more ammo (8+1) and is an all-round nice gun and a lot of fun to shoot. The OP mentioned plinking and I think the Walther is superb for that. I'm not sure that anyone but a masochist would plink with an LCP.

Other good pistols are the SIG 232, Walther PPK or PPK/S, Bersa. As far as the itty-bitty pistols go, the idea is self-defense, not self-abuse. I want a gun that is controllable for follow-up shots, which are likely to be needed even with a .45 ACP. I have no problem concealing the bigger guns; if I've got a pocket, I've probably got a pair of pants with a waistband which means I have some where to tuck a Walther PK380, PPK or PPK/s.

What the naysayers aren't telling you is that one of the reasons for the shortage of .380 ammo is the popularity of the caliber. With the rising interest in concealed carry, the .380 has become the choice of many Americans. In reality, the .380 has a long history of meeting the need for a self-defense caliber. The New Jersey State Police used to issue the Walther PPK to plain-clothes officers and detectives and the Indiana State Police issued the Beretta Cheetah. Thousands of law enforcement officers carried little Walthers and Mausers as back-up guns. With the loads from Hornady and Federal, or Remington Golden Sabers,the .380 does a good job. If penetration is an issue, mix in some FMJ ball ammo.

I do practice what I preach; two of my favorite CC guns are the Walther PK380 and the Beretta 84FS Cheetah with its 13+1 capacity. I have two extra mags for my Walther, giving me a total of 25 rounds.

MCgunner
April 11, 2010, 12:16 PM
Considering the cost of .380 and the pain it is to find, have you considered a 9x18? They're out there. I picked up a P64 Polish 9x18 for $199 a few weeks back, am carrying Silver Bear hollowpoint in it, 12 bucks a box of 50. I am very impressed with this little gun, very accurate and reliable. I've got some Wolff Springs on order for it to improve it a bit. I can reload using the much more plentiful and for free at the range, 9x19 brass trimmed to 18mm. I have a .380. It's mostly a safe queen.

http://i44.tinypic.com/25tl36r.jpg

HOWARD J
April 11, 2010, 12:28 PM
I purchased a PPK 380 about 30 years ago--no problem getting ammo then--
I wore out 2 mag on this handgun.--ammo was cheap & available.
Now I have a SigP-238 & Kel-Tec p3-AT............
Good thing I reload---I have about 700 cases still holding up...........:)

V_Gunner
April 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
I recently purchased a Taurus738 .380. It is very small. I immediately took it to the range. It performed flawlessly. I was surprised the the trigger was so good. It was so good I shot well with it from the start. I was surprised the recoil was so manageable. Very manageable.:what:
I actually carry this pistol concealed (as my license allows). I carry it because I can do so in a small pistol holster that easily fits in my pocket. Sometimes I forget it is there. The Walther PPK, my Smith and Combat Master are too HEAVY. You see, when I carry a gun that is so heavy I have to keep cinching up my belt and adjusting my pants, I tend NOT to carry it.
So, this little .380 is the largest caliber pistol I can comfortably carry. Some folks may carry a larger heavier weapon with ease. That's a personal experience issue. I find the .380 a great choice. I carry fmj and hollowpoints. It is 100% reliable. It is in my pocket when I need it.
About recoil, I practice with it often enough to be very confident. If I have to use it for defense, I am sure I will not even notice recoil. I will have far more adrenaline motivating things to think about. I pay under $30 for a box of 50. Sure, it's not as cheap as 9mm, but my nines are heavier and bulkier.
I think the most important issue is "is it on you when you need it". Recoil for self defense is a non issue ~ as long as you can squeeze without flinching. The cost of ammo, a negligible issue really, how many boxes of ammo are you going to pump into the bad guy, anyway? V

gmh1013
April 18, 2010, 11:13 PM
I Like the 380....I dont care what joe blow says.. blah blah blah....I sure as hell would not want to be shot with a 380 h-p at 10 yards.
Right now I only have a Bersa and its a wonderful little gun plus Ive only had a few FTF
in about 1500 rounds...which i think was the crappy magtech mag and not the pistol.
I bought 500 rounds of Remington 95gr ball ammo from Cabela's last summer and it shoots wells out of the Bersa. I just got some Federal in last week and seek how they shoot.
Since Browning has the 380 BDA out again I MUST get another one....it was my all time fav auto when I bought in in 1991 and like an idiot sold it in 98.

philip964
April 18, 2010, 11:22 PM
The .380 ammunition at the moment is impossible to find in my part of the world except for PD rounds which are too expensive for plinking.

Near as I can tell this shortage has been going on for over a year. I'm not sure when it will even out.

There is one or maybe two 9mm pistols almost as small as the .380 pistols, but they are still larger by an amount that matters for CC in the pocket.

The Sig 238 is small, heavy and shoots very well with only a small amount of recoil. It is the only .380 I have fired so I can't help you compare it to others. The SAO function is supposedly just like a 1911. With me it took a little getting used to as it is is not as simple to use as a revolver or a point and shoot pistol like a Glock.

I always fire it first at the range and I have noticed my accuracy with my other full sized pistol has improved after I fire such a small and short barreled pistol.

Nushif
April 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
My wife has the .380 Beretta and it is one nice little gun. It's proven reliable and GREAT for plinking.

MICHAEL T
April 19, 2010, 12:26 AM
Bersa fit the bill Thunder if IWB and the CC if for pocket

As for mags all you want at http://condorsflight.com Real Bersa Factory not the junk promag .

I give mags away in drawings at http://bersachat.com

so their 2 sources

herkyguy
April 19, 2010, 04:17 PM
I own and carry an LCP when it's hot or if I have cargo pockets. I can report that I have shot various ammo (Fed. HS, Blazer, Speer GOLD DOT, cheap mexican stuff, etc..) and never had a failure of any kind with the gun. I find it reliable, accurate, and easy to conceal. 50+ rounds in one day at the range and your finger will start to hurt. that's the only negative. but it's not for the range. I have not shot other .380 pistols, so I have none to compare it to, but I find the LCP to quite reliable and accurate. I trust the gun.

harmon rabb
April 20, 2010, 06:25 AM
I see little or no point to the .380, particularly considering the cost & difficulty in obtaining ammo for them

it's not difficult to obtain ammo for them anymore. local gun shops have had it in stock for a long time now, and now many online distributors have it in stock as well.

there is definitely a point to .380 -- pocket pistols. the LCP/TCP/MDE/Seecamp/P3AT/etc are freakin tiny, smaller than some cell phones.

philip964
May 6, 2010, 06:25 PM
I was down to my last 150 rounds, but Academy Sporting Goods got some in. Winchester FMJ and Monarch hollow point so I am good for a while. The Monarch (Bosnia or someplace like that) was $16 for 50. The Winchester FMJ was $22 for 50. So I will be plinking with both.

Up until I found this, all I could find was personal protection rounds at $27 for 20, which was too expensive to plink with.

APIT50
May 6, 2010, 09:58 PM
LCP, PF9, Bersa Thunder 380, Walther PK380 all under $400

bluemailman53
May 16, 2010, 08:16 PM
Use to carry a .380 in pocket. I've had taurus, kel-tec and Bersa. Bersa was by far the most dependable but a bit large for the pocket. Never felt the smaller 380s were dependable enough. I have found that a .38 spec. snubnose is much more dependable that any of the 380s and carry well with a pocket holster plus you get a little extra umph!

Gun Geezer
May 16, 2010, 08:26 PM
CDNN has some Sig 232's for $429. I got one that was in like new condition.

$429 is a great price on thise CPO guns, and they shoot very nice.

Ala Dan
May 16, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have [and carry] the Kel-Tec P3AT .380 ACP. So far, I've been totally
happy with this purchase. Its been 100% relaible, with all except Federal
Hydra-Shok ammo; as the OAL is a bit too long and don't feed properly.
It has eaten all other ammo that I have put thru it, without a hitch~! ;)

NMGonzo
May 16, 2010, 10:25 PM

P-Coat ... that is how I carried mine in winter.

In the summer I carry it in a uncle mike #3 size or belly band for jogging.

MCgunner
May 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'm sure he's found a gun by now. But, IMHO, the best .380s out there for accuracy, power, and range work, and for the money are not .380s, they're 9x18 Makarovs. The ammo is cheap and you can actually find it. The things can be reloaded in trimmed 9x19 brass which is everywhere, I mean, if you reload. All I do is trim and load. The guns themselves are commonly around 200 bucks and are of high quality, all being military or police carry guns in their home countries. I ran into a P64 Mak for 200 bucks not long ago and this little devil is 3" at 25 yards accurate and pocket sized, think Walther PPK, all steel, high quality, 100 percent function. CZ82 are AWSOME in a bigger gun, nothing wrong with the good old Russian Makarov, or there's the Hungarian PA63, two tone, sharp looking gun and a good shooter.

If he wants to shoot much, doesn't handload, even if he DOES handload, he might consider a 9x18 chambered gun of his choice. Like I say, since this was posted in January, I imagine he's made the decision by now.

Mad Magyar
May 17, 2010, 09:03 AM
Anything but a LCP.....P.T. Barnum was right.....Of course, I'm partial to Walther.....

Taurus 617 CCW
May 17, 2010, 09:08 AM
I own a Kel Tec P3AT and a Bersa Thunder .380. They both have their strong and weak points but have both performed when I called them to. The little Kel tec has similar felt recoil to the Bersa in my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good, Reliable 380 at a good price." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!