Comparing the Springfield XD to the Glock...

PDA

Balrog
January 11, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have to admit I have always been a huge Glock fan, and not really ever paid attention to the XD line from Springfield, but on a whim I bought a Springfield XD45 Tactical (for $490, out the door), and I must say I am favorably impressed.

When I compare it to the Glock 21 and 21 SF, I feel the grip is more comfortable, because it seems a bit thinner at the place where your thumb wraps around. The trigger is at least as good, and maybe better. I like the grip safety, and the model I bought also has an external thumb safety like a 1911, which I like also.

The accuracy seems about the same. I was shooting both offhand at the range yesterday, and was doing about 3-4 inch groups at 50 feet.

I have not seen these two compared in terms of durability. Do you think the XD will hold up long term as well as a Glock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Comparing the Springfield XD to the Glock..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
January 11, 2010, 05:49 PM
I think they are probably pretty equal for durability, now that HS/Springfield has gotten that little rust problem worked out. Haven't heard of XDs wearing out in outrageously short periods of time, people seem to be really happy with them. I don't have one, but the one I looked at a few years back looked very well made and felt good in the hand.

hillbillydelux
January 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
They are the same in alot of respects. XD/XDM IMHO is just a little better as far as ergonimics are concerned. As far as reliability goes I think they are both on an even playing field.

Strahley
January 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
I think to an average shooter, both will hold up as long as you take care of them

CoRoMo
January 11, 2010, 06:00 PM
The XD has been on the market long enough to have made points in the durability game. Had they all started failing prematurely, we'd all know by now. Of the members here, I think possum has used/abused his XD more than anyone else that I can recall, and he knows what a fighting pistol should withstand. I have had the same 5" XD45 w/thumb safety as you do, and it has stood up through everything that I've put it through.

Mr.Davis
January 11, 2010, 09:34 PM
This article (http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php) replicates the Glock 20,000 round "torture test" with a Springfield XD. Cliff's Notes: The Springfield is every bit as durable as the venerable Glock.

I prefer the Springfield to the Glock because:
1) I like the addition of the grip safety
2) I prefer the grip angle of the XD
3) Even though neither will win a beauty pageant, I prefer the looks of the XD.

REAPER4206969
January 11, 2010, 09:40 PM
I bought a Springfield XD45 Tactical
I'm sorry.

Balrog
January 11, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry.

I would love to hear why you think so. Otherwise, your post is an unwanted waste of bandwith.

Blues Brother
January 11, 2010, 10:01 PM
I would love to hear why you think so. Otherwise, your post is an unwanted waste of bandwith.

dont take it personal, he dont care for my posts either.

Balrog
January 11, 2010, 10:19 PM
I didnt take it personal. If he has a legitimate reason I would love to hear. My guess is, he aint got nothing.

ReloaderFred
January 11, 2010, 10:27 PM
I was forced to carry a Glock 22 for the last year and a half before I retired, and I fired about 2,000 rounds through it before I walked out the door. Now that I am retired, I can carry anything I want.

With that said, I now own 6 XD's, and no Glocks, and carry an XD every day. I've got thousands of rounds through them and have never had one fail to feed, fire or eject. I would, and do, trust my life to them. Mine are in 9x19, 357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 acp.

Hope this helps.

Fred

pancakeofdoom
January 11, 2010, 10:34 PM
i have both an xd9sc and a g26. the xd9 was used, and has 100 rnds through it with no hiccups on my part. previous owner replaced the recoil rod/spring, so i'm assuming the round count is decent, however it appears in good shape. that said, i've shot some beat to hell glocks that didn't fail either, so they're the same in my book, just different ergonomics.

that said, i like how the g26 carries, but i wouldn't mind havin an xd357 or an xd45 tac for hiking/car carry

AOK
January 11, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'm a Glock fan myself. Nothing against XD's though. A lot of people will swear by them just like many Glock owners. While there is no question they look nicer than a Glock, I'm not a fan of their grip safety. The only safety you should need is between your ears. If someone needs more than that I think they need to practice handling their weapon more.

kwelz
January 11, 2010, 11:30 PM
XDs have a number of issues that make them inferior to the Glock and M&P pistols.

REAPER4206969
January 11, 2010, 11:30 PM
While there is no question they look nicer than a Glockhttp://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif

Jed Carter
January 12, 2010, 04:55 AM
NICER? LOOKING? THAN? GLOCK? Well the XD does have a lot more graphics and grooves, if you like that sort of thing, both function very well. But I will stick with Glocks original ugly and skip the 4th gen with the XD looking grooves.

silent flatulence
January 12, 2010, 05:09 AM
I don't understand why anybody would fuss about a springfield when hk usp's exist. It's baffling that people would give it the time of day. It's like they actually made a concerted effort to engineer goofyness into it.

legion3
January 12, 2010, 05:11 AM
I agree that the XD45's grip is better (for me) that the glock 21 or 21 SF. If I still shot a 45ACP the XD would be my choice for grip size to capacity.

However, I prefer Glock 9mm's (and probably other calibers in Glock too, except 10mm) and the Glock trigger reset over the XD. The XD's reset is way better than the M&P but is not better than the Glock. I have just been shooting Glocks to long to want to change when Glocks are perfect for me.

Don't need the grip safety or the "free" stuff in the XD box. Don't need interchangeable backstraps, and other modern stuff.

The HS2000 is all grown up these days. :)

legion3
January 12, 2010, 05:13 AM
I don't understand why anybody would fuss about a springfield when hk usp's exist. It's baffling that people would give it the time of day.

$

HK's are overpriced according to many.
XD's are not.

Elvishead
January 12, 2010, 05:18 AM
I like the grip safety, and the model I bought also has an external thumb safety like a 1911, which I like also.

Yep, me too.

The accuracy seems about the same. I was shooting both offhand at the range yesterday, and was doing about 3-4 inch groups at 50 feet.

I agree!

I have not seen these two compared in terms of durability. Do you think the XD will hold up long term as well as a Glock?

Both are great guns, and will hold up just fine, but the heavier XD is just a little more desirable to me, but that doesn't mean I don't like Glock's.

silent flatulence
January 12, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hk's cost more for a reason. Guns and quality boots are two things I make sure I don't cheese out on. No inferior firearms with dopey beavertails for me. Carrying a gun that has a beavertail safety is like walking around with a shoehorn sticking in the heels of your shoes. It's just goofy. It's about time people got ashamed of themselves for tolerating this beavertail nonsense. They're about as useful as richard simmons after sundown.

legion3
January 12, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hk's cost more for a reason. Guns and quality boots are two things I make sure I don't cheese out on. No inferior firearms with dopey beavertails for me. Carrying a gun that has a beavertail safety is like walking around with a shoehorn sticking in the heels of your shoes. It's just goofy. It's about time people got ashamed of themselves for tolerating this beavertail nonsense. They're about as useful as richard simmons after sundown.

Great, that is your opinion but not everybody thinks like you.

PAPACHUCK
January 12, 2010, 05:52 AM
Azizza, please.....Do tell....

I personally believe the opposite is more apt to be true.

harmon rabb
January 12, 2010, 06:15 AM
have fired both, own a xd 45, wouldn't hesitate to own a glock, wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to either.

that said, i prefer the xd because:
1. better trigger. the glock trigger is quasi-DA (you're pulling the hammer back some before it releases), and the xd trigger is SA.
2. grip safety. i have no problem carrying DA pistols with one in the tube and the only 'safety' being to not pull the trigger, but i like the addition of the grip safety.
3. drop safety. can't see this being an issue with a xd, but my LCP once FELL OUT of my pocket holster onto a hard floor when i was sitting down. scared the **** out of me, and i promptly replaced the holster, but still nice to know such a safety is there
4. loaded chamber indicator. nice to have.

Mr.Davis
January 12, 2010, 07:41 AM
XDs have a number of issues that make them inferior to the Glock and M&P pistols.
And those are...? Come on people, this is downright trolling when you don't support your position.

The grip safety ensures you have the gun properly in hand when the trigger is pulled. There are a number of reasons not related to negligence that the trigger could get yanked and discharge a Glock when a Springfield XD would remain safe. The grip safety does not in any way take away from the performance or reliability of the gun, and I can't even feel it when I'm holding the gun and shooting. So what's the issue?

I find it funny you object to the Springfield's grip safety, but are stumping for a gun that's twice as expensive and has a manual safety. If a grip safety isn't important, then surely one should not tolerate manual safeties either?

WhippingBoy
January 12, 2010, 07:53 AM
I had a XDsc 9mm. It was a great gun, but I wanted a trigger with little take-up and little/no overtravel. I found http://powderriverprecision.com/ (Powder River Precision). This guy makes a drop in kit (i.e. no mods to the gun) that gives the XD a great 4lb trigger, no overtravel, and short take-up. There are some youtube videos that demonstrate how much this kit changes the trigger. I highly recommend it.

I ended up trading it for a 1911 since it was too fat for me to wear IWB.

Blues Brother
January 12, 2010, 08:35 AM
XDs have a number of issues that make them inferior to the Glock and M&P pistols. I would love to hear about those issues.

AOK
January 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:

The grip safety does not in ANY WAY take away from the performance or reliability of the gun.

------

I wouldn't go as far as saying that with 100% confidence (what it appears to me you're saying, if I misunderstood I apologize). Can you you say with 100% confidence you will have a solid grip on your XD to deactivate the grip safety in the even you are in get knocked around in the middle of drawing and stress levels are extremely high?

What are you going to do if your XD get pushed out of battery when you have it in someone's gut and you want to get a shot off? With the grip safety you need both hands to keep it in battery which may not be possible depending on your situation. With a Glock, HK, and M&P you can hold the slide into battery with your thumb so you can get at least one shot off.

So actually yes, there is a chance the grip safety could take away from the performance of the gun. While it may be very slight, there is a chance that grip safety could hinder you getting a shot(s) off.

Blues Brother
January 12, 2010, 09:00 AM
Your not supposed to draw a gun when stress levels are high. remember, cooler heads previal.

NG VI
January 12, 2010, 10:38 AM
3. drop safety. can't see this being an issue with a xd, but my LCP once FELL OUT of my pocket holster onto a hard floor when i was sitting down. scared the **** out of me, and i promptly replaced the holster, but still nice to know such a safety is there
4. loaded chamber indicator. nice to have.

Glock has both of those things. They have been dropped from helicopters and not discharged from it, just like any other modern pistol must do if it wants to be considered safe or worth buying.

NG VI
January 12, 2010, 10:40 AM
you can hold the slide into battery with your thumb so you can get at least one shot off.

Oh my god I would never reccomend doing that at all, I suppose a thumb snapped back against your wrist isn't as bad as losing a life or death struggle, but good lord, just thinking about shooting like that is making me cringe.

Blues Brother
January 12, 2010, 10:48 AM
you wont be winning any thumb wrestling matches after that.

AOK
January 12, 2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:

----

What makes you say that? What exactly do you think happens?

geektoad
January 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'm wondering if they think you mean using your thumb to hold the slide in battery from the back of the slide, which would obviously do some serious damage to your thumb when the slide recoils.

REAPER4206969
January 12, 2010, 11:18 AM
Glock has both of those things. They have been dropped from helicopters and not discharged from it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Jl4Z9j_V0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P65BzUnNr04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeZtdfrbBds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygcfp40RTKs

mdehoogh
January 12, 2010, 11:41 AM
Oh my god I would never reccomend doing that at all, I suppose a thumb snapped back against your wrist isn't as bad as losing a life or death struggle, but good lord, just thinking about shooting like that is making me cringe.
I'm wondering if they think you mean using your thumb to hold the slide in battery from the back of the slide, which would obviously do some serious damage to your thumb when the slide recoils.

I've never tried it before but I've seen it done without the expected thumb-ripping result. The gun fires a round and the slide doesn't recoil. You would have to manually rechamber a round. Here's a clip on youtube that I've seen from another forum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8sbb8eDjg

AOK
January 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:

-------

I used to think that as well. Actually holding the back of the slide with your thumb to keep in battery doesn't do much other than a little sting to the thumb if that. Maybe after firing numerous rounds or so it would start getting a little sore.

Mike J
January 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
My personal opinion is Glocks & XD's are both good guns. I own an XD & have shot a couple of Glocks. Both brands have their pluses & minuses. I would consider an XD & a Glock to be of comparable quality. I know the really annoys that kool aid drinkers but so be it.
BTW if you want a chuckle www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ

NG VI
January 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
I used to think that as well. Actually holding the back of the slide with your thumb to keep in battery doesn't do much other than a little sting to the thumb if that. Maybe after firing numerous rounds or so it would start getting a little sore.

Didn't realize it was such a non-issue, I would expect it to at least give you some severely unpleasant bending.

racine
January 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
"...Hk's cost more for a reason. Guns and quality boots are two things I make sure I don't cheese out on. No inferior firearms with dopey beavertails for me. Carrying a gun that has a beavertail safety is like walking around with a shoehorn sticking in the heels of your shoes. It's just goofy. It's about time people got ashamed of themselves for tolerating this beavertail nonsense. They're about as useful as richard simmons after sundown..."

I bought my HKs when they cost $530 new and Glocks cost $450. Now they cost $800+ and Glocks $550. I wouldn't take my HKs into the dirt when I could take my Glocks. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting my HK which is what I've shot exclusively for the last 3 years ( & off and on since 1998) but I'm not sure I'd trust it playing in the dirt. It is more complicated to detail strip/maintain and sensitive to overuse. It's a fine handgun(USP) it's just that the Glock is so much easier to shoot/maintain for extended sessions and I just never worry about it. This is personal here so I'm not interested in starting anything up, just relaying my beliefs. If you were in my squad with an HK I wouldn't sweat it, I just prefer Glock and hope your USP is clean when backing me up.

racine
January 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
Reaper, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do that to my 1911, ever, and hope to shoot it reliably.

Mr.Davis
January 12, 2010, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying that with 100% confidence (what it appears to me you're saying, if I misunderstood I apologize). Can you you say with 100% confidence you will have a solid grip on your XD to deactivate the grip safety in the even you are in get knocked around in the middle of drawing and stress levels are extremely high?
Point well taken. I suppose what I meant was that the gun itself is 100% reliable. I wouldn't consider a bad grip (within reason) to reflect negatively on the gun, just on the operator or the scenario. But it is something to consider.

What are you going to do if your XD get pushed out of battery when you have it in someone's gut and you want to get a shot off? With the grip safety you need both hands to keep it in battery which may not be possible depending on your situation. With a Glock, HK, and M&P you can hold the slide into battery with your thumb so you can get at least one shot off.
Point well taken, but I would consider the possibility of such a scenario to be significantly less likely than something foreign getting into the trigger guard on a Glock style pistol. Tradeoffs, I guess.

rellascout
January 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
I don't understand why anybody would fuss about a springfield when hk usp's exist. It's baffling that people would give it the time of day. It's like they actually made a concerted effort to engineer goofyness into it.

USP are like holding a 2X4. I have never understood the love for these guns.

Blues Brother
January 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
I throw my guns out of helicopters to see if they are any good. if they are, then I keep them.

XNavyflyer
January 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that with 100% confidence (what it appears to me you're saying, if I misunderstood I apologize). Can you you say with 100% confidence you will have a solid grip on your XD to deactivate the grip safety in the even you are in get knocked around in the middle of drawing and stress levels are extremely high? If you've only got one hand available and got a bad grip on your Glock you might be able to get a shot off but you'll be doing a one handed clearance of the resulting stovepipe. They are very susceptilble to limp wrist jams.

Balrog
January 12, 2010, 01:01 PM
I did not start this thread as a Glock bashing thread, I love my Glocks also. The point is that I think the XD is a pretty nice pistol too, and has some features that seem desirable to me.

To those who are finding fault with the XD, I would love to know exactly what you dislike about it, and not just make an unsubstantiated drive by comment.

I don't really care if you think the XD is ugly. That is a matter of personal preference, and we are comparing it to the Glock, which is no beauty contest winner itself.

For me the grip safety is a good thing. I am used to shooting 1911s, and have no problem with a grip safety. I also like the external thumb safety on my XD.

smoothdraw
January 12, 2010, 01:01 PM
Glock for me. Cheaper, have good engineering and can shoot SSP in IDPA. XD shoots in ESP. Plus the Xd doesn't sit in my hand well. The glocks are better but i shoot 1911. If i will go polymer maybe glock. I have HKs before that are also good but will only buy them used because they are expensive.

REAPER4206969
January 12, 2010, 01:23 PM
Reaper, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do that to my 1911, ever, and hope to shoot it reliably.
And after all those tests (look in the related videos for more, he did 30+ things to it.) he did this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro

BlayGlock
January 12, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hk's cost more for a reason
Do they cost more because they are more reliable? I dont belive so.

I prefer the ergonomics of my Glock 19 over my dad's XD 9. That and the aftermarket support and the fact that I can work on them myself.

Actually the reason that I prefer my Glock 19 over both the XD and the HK is that they feel top heavy to me.

Manco
January 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
I've never tried it before but I've seen it done without the expected thumb-ripping result. The gun fires a round and the slide doesn't recoil. You would have to manually rechamber a round. Here's a clip on youtube that I've seen from another forum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8sbb8eDjg

Even without seeing it demonstrated, it shouldn't be hard to believe--it's merely the normal recoil impulse applied to the slide and the thumb. Because of the limited mass of the slide and all of that force on just the thumb, it is rather hard on the thumb, but nowhere near enough to sever it or even overcome its holding strength (with most calibers). That said, I wouldn't recommend "limp-thumbing" because you could potentially be injured by cuts or even dislocation--keep that thumb firmly on the slide and press forward. I wouldn't recommend practicing the technique, either--it's only for emergencies.

Blues Brother
January 12, 2010, 01:56 PM
This does not sound like a good idea.

kwelz
January 12, 2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry I am just now getting back to this thread.
Here are a number of the issues people have run into with them.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37731

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23601

I personally had a Grip safety lock the gun up on me a short time ago. Springfield was less than enthusiastic about fixing it.

They are an ok design with some stupid parts thrown on top and then priced above what they should be.

Casaba
January 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
I had a Glock 23, its was ok, shot nice, felt nice...

Sold it, actually traded it for a 1969 Belgium Browning 12ga. Anyway, just picked up a XD 45 tactical that I like.

Man, I only wish I had known that I could some here and compare wieners first, I might have gone another direction....

Neither is my daily carry, I'll take my 442 with crimson trace grips in the pocket, but that's just me

AOK
January 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
----

AOK
January 12, 2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
If you've only got one hand available and got a bad grip on your Glock you might be able to get a shot off but you'll be doing a one handed clearance of the resulting stovepipe. They are very susceptilble to limp wrist jams.

-----
This is true. There are documented cases where limp wristing shots can lead to FTE's in Glocks. With that said, a poor grip doesn't automatically mean you will limp wrist a shot. Of course it's possible but it's not a given.

Blues Brother
January 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
Neither is my daily carry, I'll take my 442 with crimson trace grips in the pocket, but that's just me I did not realize that Oldsmobile made guns.

REAPER4206969
January 12, 2010, 03:44 PM
I did not realize that Oldsmobile made guns.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/smith_442.jpg

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
January 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
Man are we gonna rehash this same old tired comparison stuff ? Isn't it odd that we are always comparing the Glock to this and the Glock to that ? Face it folks , the Glock set a standard and the other guys are coming along with some nice clones with a few extra items here and there , but the trouble with these comparisons are like comparing pants , I like the way these fit , but those make my butt look big ! If you like the way it shoots , fits , and functions - then go ahead and bet your life on it , just don't run another person down if they don't always agree .

CZ223
January 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
I had had several Glocks, all of which functioned almost flawlessly. I got the hankerin' to buy another gun when I saw the XD. It looked like a Glock. It had a trigger like the Glock. To some degree it even felt like a Glock. So, I bought one. I should just have bought another Glock. Honestly, I hated it. that grip safety made the gun safer for the bad guy than it did me. I did not grip the pistol properly every time I guess and the gun would not fire. The Mags were almost impossible to load and were pretty pricey to boot. Now, I am not saying that it is a bad gun, it isn't. It just did not work for me. On the upside, I traded it and a hundred dollar bill for a slightly used Savage BVSS in 204 with a Weaver scope. It is the most accurate rifle I have.:D

Balrog
January 12, 2010, 05:17 PM
Isn't it odd that we are always comparing the Glock to this and the Glock to that ? Face it folks , the Glock set a standard and the other guys are coming along with some nice clones

I hate to bust your bubble on that one, but the reason I wanted to compare the XD to the Glock was because the Glock has been my main gun til now, not because I think it is some gold standard that everything should be compared to.

Full Metal Jacket
January 12, 2010, 05:39 PM
i bought an xd 45 midsize-worst gun purchase i ever made.

constantly jammed with FMJ and was horribly inaccurate. after springer told me it would be 6-8 weeks to get it back, i sold it.

no more xd's for me.

never had any probs with my glocks or m&p's :)

Full Metal Jacket
January 12, 2010, 05:42 PM
While there is no question they look nicer than a Glock

:eek:

Balrog
January 12, 2010, 05:45 PM
constantly jammed with FMJ and was horribly inaccurate. after springer told me it would be 6-8 weeks to get it back, i sold it.

I am not sure using a sample size of one is a good way to make a judgement about the XD.

REAPER4206969
January 12, 2010, 06:16 PM
I am not sure using a sample size of one is a good way to make a judgement about the XD.
He didn't say it was.

NG VI
January 12, 2010, 06:38 PM
I throw my guns out of helicopters to see if they are any good. if they are, then I keep them.

Someone on the first page cited "drop safety" as an advantage of the XD, as if Glocks are not drop safe. I made the helicopter comment to show just how proven Glock's drop safety is. It works as well as any other pistols drop safety, probably better than some.

Lucky Strike
January 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
The grip angle is what makes glocks a poor choice for me.

XD and M&P point much more naturally for me. I carry an XD and it's my favorite gun to shoot.

devildog32713
January 12, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'm a Glock fan myself. Nothing against XD's though. A lot of people will swear by them just like many Glock owners. While there is no question they look nicer than a Glock, I'm not a fan of their grip safety. The only safety you should need is between your ears. If someone needs more than that I think they need to practice handling their weapon more.

+1 here, Im a Glock fan, XD's are nice, And USP's are just nicer, like a benelii and a purdey, I prefer Glocks, all the way around. and theres that 33 round glock mag that fits all the 9mm glocks...lol

Full Metal Jacket
January 12, 2010, 07:19 PM

when did i say that?

Full Metal Jacket
January 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
here's an interesting review of 2 xd's this guy bought:

http://www.christiangunowner.com/springfield_xd.html

Balrog
January 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
when did i say that?

When did I say you said that?

You said you had an XD that jammed, and you sold it. Then you said no more XD's for you.

When you place those two statements back to back, it will generally lead your readers to believe that the first statement led to the conclusion in the second statement. I simply inferred that you would no longer buy XD's because you had one that jammed. Is that not what you meant?

Mike J
January 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
Full Metal Jacket I can only comment on my experience. My XD-40 had somewhere in the area of 2500-3000 rounds through it with no malfunctions. I have mostly shot blazer brass or WWB-in other words whatever was cheapest at Wal Mart. I don't believe I have shot more than a couple hundred rounds at one outing because i usually have other guns I shoot also when I go. It is dead nuts reliable & accurate. I like the grip safety.
I guess if XD has to be a Glock clone because it is striker fired & polymer framed Glock must be a HK clone for the same reasons.

ReloaderFred
January 12, 2010, 08:01 PM
Can we just let this thread die, so all the armchair experts can go back to shooting the bad guys on their television sets??

Those who have made their living carrying a gun know what works best for them, and no amount of "my girlfriend can beat up your girlfriend" posts are going to make any difference. I certainly wouldn't base my next purchase on the opinion of some faceless, anonymous person on the internet who may, or may not, have any experience at all in what they're posting.

Just my two cents worth.......

Fred

dondavis3
January 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
I own both a Glock and a Springfield XDm.

Both are good guns.

I like the XDm much better for me.

For me the XDM shoots better and I like the angle of the grip better.

Just my .02

:)

Mike J
January 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
"Can we just let this thread die, so all the armchair experts can go back to shooting the bad guys on their television sets?? "

LOL Fred

legion3
January 13, 2010, 05:09 AM
Can we just let this thread die, so all the armchair experts can go back to shooting the bad guys on their television sets??

Those who have made their living carrying a gun know what works best for them, and no amount of "my girlfriend can beat up your girlfriend" posts are going to make any difference. I certainly wouldn't base my next purchase on the opinion of some faceless, anonymous person on the internet who may, or may not, have any experience at all in what they're posting.

Just my two cents worth.......

Fred

Fred you just don't seem to get the purpose of internet forums or how they work. And with 3000+ posts too :scrutiny:

GLOOB
January 13, 2010, 07:12 AM
If the GLOCK is the AK-47 of the pistol world, it's an AK-47 made with super tight tolerances, durable finish, consistent metallurgy, and outstanding quality control, in a state-of-the art, highly automated manufacturing facility where no part of the process involves hand polishing/fitting.

Whereas the XD takes advantage of the inherent reliability of the design by making their version with lowered machining tolerances, poorer finish, and extra doodads, and lo and behold, it's still reliable. It's just that some of the extra doodads might break or stop working (e.g. chamber indicator stuck), you'll need a gunsmith to make many common repairs (or even change the sights), and you'll have fewer aftermarket accessories. It might shoot better, off hand, for some people, and to these people go my sincerest condolences. Even if I could shoot a Hi Point better than a Sig, I still wouldn't call the Hi Point a superior firearm.

Full Metal Jacket
January 13, 2010, 08:00 AM
When did I say you said that?

You said you had an XD that jammed, and you sold it. Then you said no more XD's for you.

When you place those two statements back to back, it will generally lead your readers to believe that the first statement led to the conclusion in the second statement. I simply inferred that you would no longer buy XD's because you had one that jammed. Is that not what you meant?

i simply reported my personal experience, no more & no less. draw any conclusions you like from it.

Balrog
January 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
i simply reported my personal experience, no more & no less. draw any conclusions you like from it.

Yep that is what I did. I concluded you will not own an XD now because you had on that jammed.

Is that accurate or not? I don't see why you cant just answer.

Full Metal Jacket
January 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
i answered your question, either you're simply beating a dead horse at this point or just trolling for an argument.

not to mention: why don't you answer your question about your own post, if your so worried about it.

PT1911
January 13, 2010, 10:55 AM
there is no comparison IMO... Glock has One good thing going for it... its durability/reliability. Regardless of what all the haters will tell you, the xd has met every challenge that the Glock has and passed with flying colors. Having matched Glock in the D/R area (some would say surpassed,) the xd also has a far superior trigger, better sights, a more natural grip angle (for most shooters) and functional safety features as well.

Balrog
January 13, 2010, 11:18 AM
i answered your question, either you're simply beating a dead horse at this point or just trolling for an argument.

Could you simply restate your answer, because I am somehow missing it. Why won't you buy another XD? It sounded to me like you would not have another one because the one you had jammed a lot. Sorry if I came across as trolling. I am trying to understand your reasoning.

EddieNFL
January 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
At the range this AM and my shooting partner tried another shooters XD. He left talking about trading his 17 for a XD.

AOK
January 13, 2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
the xd also has a far superior trigger, better sights, a more natural grip angle (for most shooters) and functional safety features as well.

-----

Not just superior but FAR SUPERIOR? Ahhhh, okay. I guess everybody is free to their own opinions.

You know who would be GREAT people to ask their opinions on this subject? Seasoned/Respected instructors who see hundreds of Glock's and XD's being ran in their classes every year. Find out what they say they would trust their lives with.

iyaoyas98
January 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
I like the XD better. It just fits better. That said, I have a Glock. The ergos aren't as good for me, but passable. I bought the Glock for parts and mags availability, every hick in TN has at least one 9mm Glock. I figure when Al Gore repo's the internet it will be easier to keep fed and maintained.

Blues Brother
January 13, 2010, 03:05 PM
Good thinkin.

TG13
January 13, 2010, 03:48 PM
i own an XD45 Service.. i find it comically funny that people have a hard time understanding that the XD is a single action and that requires a grip safety..

NinjaFeint
January 13, 2010, 03:58 PM
I own a Glock 17 and my brother owns an XD9. He likes the grip safety and I think it is a false sense of security (I understand the XD is single action and this is why I think the grip safety is not enough in itself). He thinks the XD9 looks cool and I think it is one of the few guns uglier than my Glock. I could go on forever. I think they are both good but I like the low bore axis and easily changeable trigger weights on the glock.

EddieNFL
January 13, 2010, 04:00 PM
I own a Glock 17 and my brother owns an XD9. He likes the grip safety and I think it is a false sense of security (I understand the XD is single action and this is why I think the grip safety is not enough in itself). He thinks the XD9 looks cool and I think it is one of the few guns uglier than my Glock. I could go on forever. I think they are both good but I like the low bore axis and easily changeable trigger weights on the glock.
So, who is wrong? You or your brother?

NinjaFeint
January 13, 2010, 04:03 PM
So, who is wrong? You or your brother?
The point was neither of us are wrong. They are both finely made firearms and the best one is the best one for each individual shooter.

Blues Brother
January 13, 2010, 04:06 PM
so you and your brother actually get along?

NinjaFeint
January 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
so you and your brother actually get along?
At the range when both are holding loaded firearms...yes:evil: I kid, I kid.

Contrary to what you would believe we do not have any "Jets" vs "Sharks" west side story styled rivalry due to our handgun choices. Now my Dad is a 1911 guy...We have fun filled family firearm discussions

EddieNFL
January 13, 2010, 04:15 PM
The point was neither of us are wrong. They are both finely made firearms and the best one is the best one for each individual shooter.
It was a rhetorical question, but it is refreshing to see someone understand others can have a valid opinion, as well.

NinjaFeint
January 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
It was a rhetorical question, but it is refreshing to see someone understand others can have a valid opinion, as well.
Gotcha, hard to tell peoples intent in text.

Blues Brother
January 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Good story Ninjataint. I was just goofin ya about your brother. ;)

good info though about your & his gun preferences!!

NinjaFeint
January 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
Good story Ninjataint. I was just goofin ya about your brother. ;)

good info though about your & his gun preferences!!
No offense taken...could you tell my response was super serious...

Blues Brother
January 13, 2010, 04:33 PM
yup.

Just One Shot
January 13, 2010, 04:54 PM
Here we go again. :)

I guess I'll throw in my $.02

I had a Glock 30 .45acp. Nice gun, dependable and it shot decent enough. The trigger and grip angle just didn't suit me.

I prefer the XD line. I recently traded the Glock for an XD .45 full size and it has joined my other XD's in the CC rotation.

Glock is the original tupperware pistol and it's a good one. It's just not my choice.

I know a guy who is a Glock fanatic. It's his favorite pistol but we don't argue over who's is best. We respect the other guys choice to carry what they want.

You know the old saying: Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

That being said, both guns are excellent performers and should out last most of their owners.

What I can't understand is why anyone would want a 1911 when you can have one of these fine handguns.

:neener:

(Running for the exit!)

:D

EddieNFL
January 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

But some smell worse than others...

What I can't understand is why anyone would want a 1911 when you can have one of these fine handguns.

...and your's really stinks. :neener:

Larry Ashcraft
January 13, 2010, 09:14 PM
Congratulations.

Very nice thread.

Lights out.

Now can we try something resembling adult conversation? :mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "Comparing the Springfield XD to the Glock..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!