20-rd AK mags

PDA

ChronoCube
January 11, 2010, 06:57 PM
AIM is selling 20-rd Hungarian AK Mags. What is the advantage of these vs the 30 rounders? Only major one that I can think of is that it makes prone shooting slightly easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "20-rd AK mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ohio Gun Guy
January 11, 2010, 06:59 PM
Your conscripts dont fire off all 30 in a squeeze of the trigger. :evil:

CnRnut
January 11, 2010, 07:02 PM
It does make loading a magazine easier when the gun has
a "drop down" foward lower hand guard(AMD-63,AMD-65.....).
The 20 rd. mags were made for "tankers" to use in the AMD-65.

lions
January 11, 2010, 07:03 PM
Those are the Hungarian tanker mags. Being a little shorter they are easier for shooting prone and getting in and out of tanks.

SharpsDressedMan
January 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
My folding stock AKM fits in an M60 barrel bag (water resistent, rugged zippered case) with a 20 rd magazine mounted. Kind of nice to be "at the ready". And this might sound stupid to some, but if I grab this rifle for self defense (home or trunk gun), it looks just a tad less ominous than an AK with 30rd mag or drum. Maybe a small plus in a courtroom, but your defense attorney can argue that you chose to have a limited round capacity, making you look less like a looney. 20 rds of 7.62x39 is better than most cops are armed with, and probably better than a lot of GI's have been armed when guarding things stateside (until that last terrorist shooting, anyway). I've even thought of packing a 5 rounder in it, with hi caps as back up in the pockets of the pouch for the "courtroom" reason. If we truly have a civil breakdown or emergency, then the mag limit is no longer a worry.

nalioth
January 11, 2010, 08:47 PM
It does make loading a magazine easier when the gun has a "drop down" foward lower hand guard(AMD-63,AMD-65.....).
"Easy" for you might be "highly difficult" for others, while "difficult" for someone else, might be "easy" for you.

Please stick to subjective reasons.

P.S. I personally have no trouble using 30 rounders in Romy G or AMD-65 pattern AKs. It just takes practice.

FMJMIKE
January 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
I like 20 round mags because the rifle is lighter with them and handles better....IMHO !!!
:scrutiny:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/AK103a.jpg

mordechaianiliewicz
January 11, 2010, 09:02 PM
I like the fact that the 20 round box of ammo loads into the gun with no ammo left over.

briansmithwins
January 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
They are shorter. I mostly use mine for zeroing and suchlike. Don't have to stack the sandbags as high as when I zero using the 30 or 40 round mags.

Other than capacity they work perfectly, like all my other commie steel mags.

BSW

CnRnut
January 12, 2010, 05:48 AM
"Easy" for you might be "highly difficult" for others, while "difficult" for someone else, might be "easy" for you.

Please stick to subjective reasons.

P.S. I personally have no trouble using 30 rounders in Romy G or AMD-65 pattern AKs. It just takes practice.

Didn't know you were the new THREAD COP!!!!! :mad:
Don't tell me what to say.

Thanks

ny32182
January 12, 2010, 09:15 AM
"Easy" and "difficult" ARE subjective...

"There is more clearance to rock in a 20rd mag than there is a 30rd if you have a close-in VFG" is a true, non-subjective statement.

There is no VFG on my AK, but I only have a small stack of 30s and a couple 5s. I might order some of these 20's for a previously mentioned reason; the rifle should be able to fit into a smaller bag, and be slightly lighter with a 20rd mag inserted rather than a 30rd.

Walkalong
January 12, 2010, 09:55 AM
I like them for range work, and like one poster stated, your buddy will only rip off 20 instead of 30.

Weedy
January 12, 2010, 10:27 AM
I like them because they're the highest capacity I can buy here in MD...thank goodness! There's no way anyone here in MD could get hurt with a 20 rounder, but the 30 rounders turn you into some kinda unstoppable super-felon, apparently.

If you enjoyed reading about "20-rd AK mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!