Considering buying a Witness...

PDA

DammitBoy
January 13, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'm currently looking at buying a Tanfoglio EAA Witness Limited in 10mm stainless for $950.00.

Does anybody have any experience with this gun/brand? Is this a decent deal on a race gun? It is spotless, like NIB and comes with the case, the manual and two magazines.

Any thoughtful comments would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering buying a Witness..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ATBackPackin
January 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=171364&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

floydster
January 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
Any Match, Stock or Limited you can't go wrong, I wish I could afford a Limited, I would take that over any high end 1911 anyday.
I have two Witness Match in 45 ACP and 38 Super and they are great guns.
Floydster:)

TonyRumore
January 13, 2010, 08:54 PM
Well, I didn't have the limited version, just the standard 10mm and the magazine was completely worthless. The rounds would all bind up and the column would not move upward at all when rounds were stripped out. It was completely unusable. So I bought three new factory mags and each one came with a little note from EAA that stated basically "if these mags don't work in your gun, don't call us. It's all your responsiblity if these mags don't work." And of course, none of those mags worked either.

I packed up the gun with mags and returned it all to EAA with a note stating to replace the four mags with ones that actually worked.......and if they could not do that, convert the gun to 38 Super and return it with four 38 Super mags. They returned it converted to 38 Super with 4 mags.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

hso
January 13, 2010, 10:10 PM
Buddy of mine has one and it runs beautifully.

EAA has a horrible reputation though.

orrwdd
January 14, 2010, 01:10 AM
This story shows us how poorly EAA will treat it's customers. If they build it, and sell it, they should stand by it. :cuss:

I knew there was a reason I don't have any EAA products.

Bill

DammitBoy
January 14, 2010, 01:15 AM
ATbackpackin - that looks like a nice gun and a decent price, but the unit I'm looking at is a race gun with a few more options that looks like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fy_-V69rlYo/RxeZxCnR0kI/AAAAAAAAABw/lECL1OSwuu4/s320/Limited.jpg

It also comes with a couple of different springs - to adjust the slide action?

---

I found this well written article about the Witness while snooping around google: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64652

ReloaderFred
January 14, 2010, 03:02 AM
orrwdd wrote,

"This story shows us how poorly EAA will treat it's customers. If they build it, and sell it, they should stand by it.

I knew there was a reason I don't have any EAA products."

First of all, European American Armory (EAA) doesn't build the guns. Tanfoglio, in Italy builds them. EAA is just the importer. The customer service problem there is one person, Paul Richter. He is the head gunsmith and probably an officer of the company. Other employees don't share his bad attitude and have expressed embarrassment at his attitude. I've spoken to him at two SHOT Shows, and he doesn't play well with others, and I refuse to converse with him to this day. I'll be at the SHOT Show again next week, and I intend to order a Witness Match in .38 Super, but not from Paul.

With that said, I have several Witness pistols, and the only time I've needed to contact EAA was to order an extra barrel for a caliber conversion that I couldn't find anywhere else. That was a pleasant experience, but there wasn't any contact with Paul. I've never had any problems with any of my Witness pistols that I couldn't solve myself within a couple of minutes, and I don't expect to have to contact them concerning the Witness Match I'm going to order next week at the show after I recieve it.

If I like a product, then I buy it. The Witness line is a good, solid platform, and is extremely versatile. I would, and do, recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ATBackPackin
January 14, 2010, 03:16 AM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/916566394/Guns/Pistols/EAA-Pistols/Other/EAA_WITNESS_ELITE_LTD_10MM_4_75_INCH_BBL.htm#

My mistake. Here is one that says LNIB. I see them new for around $1030, but then you have to pay S/H and transfer.

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=27678.0

Here is another one for around $750 LNIB.

That is two I have seen for under $800 LNIB, so maybe $950 sounds a little high to me.

Hope this helped,

Shawn

hardluk1
January 14, 2010, 07:34 PM
Tonyrumore I look at all semi-autos the same. Take the mags apart debure the followers and smooth all edges,clean and lightly oil with breakfree and check the tops for width and angle. After that I try 1 round in each for angle again and fuction in the gun working slowly by hand ,then again fully loaded. Did this with my match in 2 calibers and 8 mags and have had NO feed problems over several thousand rounds. Take a wilson 1911 and a pile of mags and you could have some problems just like you have now. Not to say you might have had a real problem but to many don't do anything but whine. Now what you should do is send a copy of everything to Tanfogleo and see what kind of reply you get from them. Plus the very nice woman that answers the phone at eaa can help with many small problems for you. I have had some problems with mags from many companies through the years but i have to say not tanfogleo and eaa.

TonyRumore
January 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
I gave EAA the opportunity to fix the mags, or replace the mags, or swap everything out to 38 Super. Since they swapped it to 38 Super, I can only assume that they were unable to get the 10mm to run either.

The bodies of the mags that I had were all too wide. They would fit and feed 45 ACP just fine, but not 10mm. It is a bit difficult fix that........

Tony

EddieNFL
January 14, 2010, 08:30 PM
So I bought three new factory mags and each one came with a little note from EAA that stated basically "if these mags don't work in your gun, don't call us. It's all your responsiblity if these mags don't work." And of course, none of those mags worked either.

Life's too short.

jfh
January 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
and I also have not had any significant problems with the EAA Pistols I've owned. I currently own a Witness Match in 10mm c/w a .22LR top end.

Jim H.

Dambugg
January 14, 2010, 09:49 PM
I had a witnes in .45. The 22 conversion it came with was a joke. As a 45 it was flawless.

DammitBoy
January 14, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback, looks like $950.00 might be a little stout for this autoloader, I'll have to keep looking for a better deal.

Gunfighter123
January 14, 2010, 11:45 PM
DammitBoy,
I emailed you a link where there is exactly the same gun you want for $750 -------- good luck , GF123

hardluk1
January 15, 2010, 12:59 PM
For the 22 shooters try only the hotter ammo like stinger,yellow jacket, aguila's hot ammo or like ammo . It works much better than with any standard. Have a buddy with a kit on a colt 1911 and his is just as bad with standard grade ammo.
How wide are your 10mm mags , Should be the same as the 40s&w. the 4 mags i have measures between .851 and .852 at the rear edge across and .852.5 and .853 at the front rolled edge,and top opening is .395 at the frount and .401 at the rear.This is a bit larger than it should be but mine has alway run well. I don't know if the lenght is the same but these do have spacers in them, mine measure front to rear ,square.1.386 to 1.386.5. Some guys are running 10mm in there rebarreled 40 with just the spacer removed in the 40s&w mags for both rounds. These measurements run between 4 mags if any help..

Fremmer
January 15, 2010, 04:03 PM
Well done, Gunfighter! :)

DammitBoy
January 15, 2010, 08:14 PM
Gunfighter - didn't get the email, can you pm me the info here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering buying a Witness..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!