10mm and .45

PDA

sprice
January 13, 2010, 09:29 PM
What's the difference in recoil between a 10mm and a .45 acp and/or what'd the recoil feel like? Muzzle rise? Wich is more expensive? Wich is easier to find? What is your favorite of the two and why? If you have any other comments I would appreciate those also. :) Thanks.

If I ever get one it's gonna be a 1911 btw...

If you enjoyed reading about "10mm and .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hmphargh
January 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
For me, 10mm has more muzzle rise and harsher feeling recoil. 10mm is quite a bit more expensive and I haven't seen 10mm in the last year, which is a statement echoed by most of the people who work behind gun counters that I have asked.

SharpsDressedMan
January 13, 2010, 10:06 PM
You get what you pay for! The 10mm is nastier to shoot, but it delivers at the target just that much more.

Airburst
January 13, 2010, 10:28 PM
Unless you handload the 10mm to its maximum, what is being passed off as a factory load is not that powerful. A +P 45ACP will recoil much more than any factory loaded 10mm sold today, with the exception of boutique companies like Buffalo Bore and a few choice others. If you handload, the 10 is the way to go. I happen to like both, along with the .40 S&W. It's large calibers for me!

sammy
January 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
The .45acp feels like a solid push with little muzzle rise. This is shooting a 5" 1911. I have an HK USP Expert that is a bit milder in recoil but rises a bit more than the 1911.

The only 10mm I own is a G20SF. I load 9.4 grains of Longshot under a 180 grain Montana Gold HP. This load gives me 1250fps out of a 5" KKM barrel. The load is very snappy and has some muzzle rise. I use this gun and load for IDPA competition. Quite a few stages involve shooting strong hand and weak hand. It is not bad but I loose time compared to other shooters using G34s and G17s. I shoot it in competition only because it is fun for me and it is a croud pleaser to say the least.

MattTheHat
January 14, 2010, 10:53 AM
I shoot a 1911 in both 10mm and .45ACP. IMO, the 10mm definitely has a harsher recoil than the 45. Both pistols have the same type beavertail and are both Government models. I hand load using plated bullets and generally load somewhere in the middle of the recommended powder charges. I've loaded with both TiteGroup and 231, and the results are quite similar in that the 10mm recoils a bit more.

I would say the difference is very similar to the ratio of the recoil springs. I use an 18 pound spring in my 45 and a 22 in my 10mm. That's a difference of what, 18% higher for the 10mm? Seems just about right to me.

-Matt

jackpinesavages
January 14, 2010, 05:36 PM
It all depends on the pistols you're shooting from, spring rates, loads.

Right now, I think they're about the same for availability.

ahpd1992
January 14, 2010, 07:10 PM
G21 (45acp) G20 (10mm), same size frame pretty much the same felt recoil. I can only speak for our approved duty ammo which is winchester 230gr +p Ranger 45, and Winchester 175gr 10mm, prob the only full power 10mm being offered from a major ammo manufacturer.

Both give you a lil muzzle flip, but the Glocks absorb recoil very well

Just my own experiences

jfh
January 14, 2010, 08:58 PM
I've shot 1911s in both 10mm and .45ACP a lot--with a few different frames. Other posters have laid it out well for the difference in recoil: The .45ACP has more of a "push", which the 10mm is "quicker," and typically has more muzzle rise, particularly with upper end loads.

Since it's a "modern design" round, the 10mm runs at a higher pressure--and that gives one a real benefit in the external ballistics. At longer ranges--50 yards, say--the tranjectory is flatter. I also generally find it more accurate at longer ranges--but that really is typically a gun-dependent issue.

If you reload, the 10mm is a wonderful round to run. If you don't, or aren't interested in the ballistics, then a .45ACP is probably a better round to shoot--if only because of the cost differences.

Jim H.

If you enjoyed reading about "10mm and .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!