Falling in love with the 1911, by accident!

PDA

leadcounsel
January 13, 2010, 11:27 PM
Mainly a Glock man, like CZs, but really I find things that function have beauty.

OK - well, I've accidently fallen in love with the 1911. I am a John Browning fan (well, who isn't really?) and anything that is a 100 year old design that is still relevant and prevalent and popular today is quite a testimony. What OTHER inventions 100 years ago are still in such popular and commonly preferred use in relatively unchanged design? The automobile was in its' infancy and the combustion engine was very young. Human flight was barely off the ground. Modern computers and microprocessors wouldn't come around for decades. Most modern conveniences were rare...

Yet the venerable 1911 continues in largely unchanged design (or changes are often only cosmetic or minor improvements). The gun looks and functions the same.

Now, for me, my 1911s fell into my lap almost by accident in very good trades. I've been pretty happy with their performance and continue to be amazed at their venerable nature and the design that is still relevant a century later. I could only imagine how cool it would be to design something that is in such heavy use a century later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Falling in love with the 1911, by accident!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
January 13, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'll tell you a thought I had.

I put up a thread in here a while complaining that the Browning Mansion is for sale here in Ogden, and its fate doesn't look great. (I'm certainly not in a position to do anything about it.)

But I found myself thinking, how cool would it be to set up a reloading bench in the workshop? To tweak my 1911s in John M.'s actual shop?

Geneseo1911
January 14, 2010, 12:01 AM
how cool would it be to set up a reloading bench in the workshop? To tweak my 1911s in John M.'s actual shop?

Oh my. That would be very, very cool.

I wonder if he had any inkling we'd be using, loving, and arguing over his design over a hundred years later. I'll wager he wouldn't have guessed a guy from Utah and a guy from Illinois would be talking about him, sending bits of data over fiber optic cables....

BossHogg
January 14, 2010, 12:35 AM
I've been in a hot and cold relationship with that sexy thing for over 35 years. Mostly hot, and it can drive you to drinking,but when it's right there's nothing as good.
The house part is too cool.Buy it.

mljdeckard
January 14, 2010, 12:42 AM
Between buying it and fixing it, it's probably close to 1.5 mil. Can't do it.

ambergerftriley
January 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
I bought my first 1911 after my tour in afghanistan, and fell in love with mine. ive swapped guns off with friends for shooting at the range and tried nearly every 1911 i knew existed, and immediately fell in love with the entire aesthetic. i'd only heard opinions about it myself, until i finally bought one. glad i did.

earlthegoat2
January 14, 2010, 10:18 AM
My first pistol was a 1911. It was a phony double stack Para Ordinance that never failed to cycle properly and go bang though. I have also had a love hate relationship with the design and buy and sell them often as my tastes change. I have finally settled on something he could appreciate though and that is the Hi Power.

Walkalong
January 14, 2010, 10:53 AM
1911's are definitely awesome! :)

weisse52
January 14, 2010, 11:13 AM
mljdeckard

Time to start the "buy JMB's" house drive.

Now that would be a cool group purchase.

Water-Man
January 14, 2010, 11:19 AM
I think I'll hold onto my Springer Loaded. It's a shooter!

mljdeckard
January 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
I started a thread in activism, it got locked, it wandered off topic. The family isn't interested, I assume the museum doesn't have the cash. It's a state historical site, I'm not sure exactly what protection that extends.

I have no idea how to effectively organize such a project.

tincanhunter
January 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
My very first pistol was a Colt 70's series 1911 made in the 70's that my dad gave to me for my 21'st birthday. Complete with box, Colt info and the bill of sale. Years went by and I stopped shooting as much, but I still had my Colt. After a while I got back into shooting again, bought a Glock, didn't like it. Bought a couple of HK's and and a Sig and was reasonably happy with them. I then made the mistake of taking my Colt 1911 out for a test spin. That's when the old love affair with 1911's picked back up. The Sig left for a Springer Mil Spec that shoots 0.75" groups at 25yds. One of the HK's was just traded for a S&W 1911 Gunsite Edition. Now my only problem is finding the money to purchase another 1911. Looks like things have come full circle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Falling in love with the 1911, by accident!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!