Mosin Nagant Safety?

PDA

devildog32713
January 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
I had heard that a Mosin-Nagant has a safety, that supposedly very hard to deal with, but my Uncle swears the rifle has no safety whatsoever, I am coming to the firearm experts at thehighroad.com to answer this tough questions,please answer this question.. Mosin owners only please!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant Safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
N003k
January 14, 2010, 07:34 PM
Basically, when cocked, you pull the rear of the bolt further back, and twist it to the left so it catches. It's designed as a safety, but, it's a PITA to use IMO.

ChronoCube
January 14, 2010, 07:35 PM
To engage the safety: pull back the knob at the end of the bolt and rotate counterclockwise about 45 degrees and release.

This shows someone's modification to better help pull it:
http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/safe-close.jpg

.455_Hunter
January 14, 2010, 07:35 PM
Sorry, your uncle is wrong. The Mosin has a very positive, but awkward safety on the striker. (edit- I see everybody is answering!)

Boris Barowski
January 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
indeed, pull the cocking piece further back, and rotate. Very hard to do and quite slippery. I don't see how it would work effectively in combat, but then again, I don't think it was ever the intention to use it:)

Cosmoline
January 14, 2010, 07:44 PM
You pull knob. You twist knob to left. You release knob. Is easy! Is Mosin!

Seriously, I love the Mosin safety. It's held up for me in very rough conditions and I trust it far more than other safeties. That's why I like the Mosins as trail rifles. It's only difficult to engage if you try to use your fingers instead of your larger muscles.

RonE
January 14, 2010, 09:31 PM
The Mousin Nagant is so safe that they even allow them in California.

wojownik
January 14, 2010, 09:54 PM
I like the Mosin safety as well. It's crude, a bit ungainly, but effective. Just another unique feature of the rifle.

Carl N. Brown
January 14, 2010, 09:59 PM
Hold the gun in the left hand, pull the cocking knob back with the right hand, rotate the rifle clockwise with the left hand to put the safety on.

Trying to rotate the cocking knob with the right hand is too much work, which is why a lot of folks (like me when I first had a Mosin) give up on using the safety.

devildog32713
January 15, 2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks all!! Thanks a lot!

Nugilum
January 15, 2010, 11:54 PM
Video of Mosin Nagant Safety (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYU0At2tEeo)

It also locks the bolt in place.

fireman 9731
January 16, 2010, 01:21 AM
You can also(perhaps unsafely) de-cock the rifle by firmly holding the back of the bolt, slowly squeezing the trigger and easing the bolt forward (Similarly to de-cocking a revolver). When you are ready to fire, simply pull the back of the bolt reward until it catches and you are ready to rock.

Re-cocking it is quick and easy. I doubt this method is really that "safe" though, a drop or heavy bump could cause it to fire... just speculating...:confused:

svaz
January 16, 2010, 01:40 AM
You'll find the primary safety, on any firearm, just forward of the distal interphalangeal joint of (usually) the index finger. ;)

RevDerb
January 16, 2010, 07:25 AM
This should provide you with all of the answers that you need regarding the Mosin Nagant. The safety feature is addressed early in the manual.

devildog32713
January 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for manual!

briansmithwins
January 16, 2010, 12:21 PM
From the linked manual:

'Mosin-Nagant rifles are characterized by their massive, almost ungainly action...' strike the almost and I could agree with that statement

'A cartridge interrupter in the magazine design helped make the Mosin-Nagant the most positive-feeding of any design which uses rimmed ammunition.'Wow, how crappy were the other rimmed cartridge military rifles?

BSW

Caliper_RWVA
January 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
Safety isn't that hard to engage on either of my 3 Mosins. Harder than other safeties that are single finger deals though.

Something to remember with the MN safety - on releasing the safety the gun is cocked and ready to go. Great for a military rifle.

Old Time Hunter
January 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
You can always weld a hunk of scrap iron onto the "safety" knob, say about the size of a hammer handle. It should make the use a lot easier.....and it certainly would not deter from the overall great asthetics or workmanship of the Mosin. That way you could just grap it with your right hand (provided you are right eye dominate) while the thing is shouldered and turn it back clockwise to fire...if you are imaginate enough maybe even drill a hole in the welded on handle(made of scrap metal of course) and use the hole as a "peep" sight.

Just a thought :D

Palehorseman
January 16, 2010, 04:10 PM
It has a safety, it is the knurled knob at back of bolt. To engage, grasp forestock with one hand and get a good grip on the knurled knob, while pushing rifle forward, pull straight back on knob and turn it to the left.

Do the push pull all in one quick motion and the safety is very easy to manipulate.

30cal_Fun
January 16, 2010, 05:55 PM
In sovjet Russia, safety operates you!:D

Elm Creek Smith
January 17, 2010, 02:44 AM
From Red Army infantry squad leader: Safety? Hello! Is gun!

The same considerations were followed with the M91/30 and the M44 for zeroing. They were zeroed with the bayonets fixed.

ECS

paintballdude902
January 17, 2010, 03:48 AM
safety?? is no safety, if for building finger muscles!!!!

but seriously i like it and i dont normally use safeties

Carl N. Brown
January 17, 2010, 10:18 PM
[Safety Nazi On]
Every gun should be treated with the respect due a loaded gun.
Never let the muzzle point at anything you would mind having a hole through.
Finger off the trigger until the sights are on an intended target.
Positively identify target and whatever will be the path of the bullet before firing.
You are the safety.
All those mechanical gizmos are clever but being mechanical they will break or fail.
[Safety Nazi Off]

devildog32713
February 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
I 100% agree with what you are saying Carl, but Mother wants my rifle to have a safety...my safety is between my ears yes, but Mother still wants a mechanical safety on my guns. (She is WAY misinformed about guns...)

Maj Dad
February 14, 2010, 10:40 PM
My old pre-war Marlin Model 80 has the same safety - pull the striker back & rotate 30-45 degrees. Wonder if John Mahlon Marlin copied that?

Heavenlyfire
February 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
My wife use to be very, very anti gun. When we got married I had to teach her. I made sure to store all of my guns in the house with no bolts in them and trigger locks on them. I was able to show her that they were as dangerous as a baseball bat. She is now a very proficient shooter and has no issue with the guns in the house. I do still store them the same way and there is piece in the house. Maybe try doing this with your mother. Try to teach her and she might see the true story.

Carl N. Brown
February 15, 2010, 04:38 AM
I would add that if a gun is not under your immediate control, unloaded and disassembled with the parts seperated where a burglar would need more than five minutes to locate them, is the way to go. Of course, when my wife and I are home, we have loaded and assembled guns at hand.

The DC gun law made unloaded and disassembled mandatory even under your immediate control in your home, with hand guns banned. If you defended yourself with a loaded, assembled long gun, rifle or shotgun, you were obviously in violation of the DC storage law.

The Mosin Nagant safety has several interlocks that make accidental discharge virtually impossible once engaged. The bolt can be removed and stashed seperate from the gun if you're not going to be at home. Not to say that the Mosin Nagant is a perfect home, farm or ranch rifle, but it does have some points in its favor as a defensive gun. And, on a long walk through the snow at my uncle's, my Mosin was the only rifle whose safety I could safely manipulate in full winter gear wearing gloves proper for the weather.

devildog32713
February 16, 2010, 11:05 AM
Yeah, that safety is a plus for cold weather gear, and Heavenlyfire, I will say that my grandmother has been anti for some time, but since grandpa passed away several years ago, me and my Uncle have been talking to her about getting a small handgun for self defence, I convinced her to go into the local gunstore, "Gun Slingers" and talked to the guy there who was very freindly, an ex-cop, who taught her how to hold, cock, open cylinder on a .38 and a .22 revolver. She is not so anti, I have to say that it was the very freindly salesguy who made the difference, I give him the credit.

Heavenlyfire
February 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hell ya, that is a great start. Sounds like he did everything right to get her over any fears she may have had. Nice job. It may take time though. I bought my wife her 10-22 when we first got married and she fired it this last year for the first time. We have been married 12 years lol. The warranty was gone before she ever put a round through it. As some have said in the past, patience is a virtue. Good luck buddy.

devildog32713
February 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
Alright, thanks, I told her she has herself a personal shooting intructor and gun cleaning assisstent, (I like everything to do with guns, cleaning, talking about,) and she is considering it, the place was just nice and calm, and the guy answered all her questions about safety, locks available, ammo types+prices, just everything, it worked just great.

Heavenlyfire
February 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
He sounds like a keeper lol. I would shop there just because of that. Sounds like a great guy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant Safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!