Beretta 92FS Safety Manipulation

PDA

Jenrick
January 15, 2010, 08:38 PM
All my experience with an external safety on a pistol has been frame mounted (1911's, HK USP, etc.) which all function by being moved downward. The Beretta and other slide mounted safeties (S&W auto's for instance) that move upward are not something I'm terribly familiar with. What exactly is the correct method to disengaged the safety? You can of course just flip it up with your strong side thumb, but I'm finding that this shifts my whole grip around, requiring me to adjust it again. Is there anyway to disengage the safety w/o having to break your firing grip, or at least to disturb it less?

-Jenrick

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92FS Safety Manipulation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REAPER4206969
January 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
Carry it with the safety off. However:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0VxLkqm--U

blkbrd666
January 15, 2010, 08:54 PM
The Beretta 92 has a pretty substantial grip size...some people just can't push the safety off without repositioning their grip...some can. I can manage it fine, but if my hands were any smaller I couldn't.

Jenrick
January 15, 2010, 08:56 PM
Reaper: I saw that video, but can't for the life of me figure out what the heck the guys doing with those camera angles and his description.

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
Push down on the safety like a 1911. It will spring up if you do it right.

RETG
January 15, 2010, 09:07 PM
Doesn't work on the PX4. But why carry a SA/DA with a safety on? I have carried SIGS for years, and no safeties.

JohnKSa
January 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
When I was shooting them a lot I found that I was able to bump the safety forward and upward using my thumb knuckle without shifting my grip.

Here's a youtube video (not made by me) that demonstrates another technique that seems to work ok. It uses a somewhat similar motion to what would be used for a frame mounted (down for off) safety. This method does not work well with the PX4 due to slight differences in the way the safeties work.

Hah! Looks like I took too long finding the video! :D

9mmepiphany
January 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
the Beretta 92/96 has the easiest slide mounted safety to flip off.

when you establish your master grip, assuming thumbs forward grip, the thumb will naturally push the safety lever forward...the spring loaded lever should do the rest. it's not like a 1911, you still have the DA first shot as a safety factor

Jenrick
January 15, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hmm, well the my safety does not pop up when it's pushed forward, down, etc. It only goes up when I push up on it. I stripped down the safety to see if I had a broken spring, etc, and everything seems to be in place and in good shape. Is this something that that only certain models of 92 are able to do?

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 15, 2010, 11:45 PM
Is the safety/decock mechanism well lubricated?

Jenrick
January 15, 2010, 11:59 PM
Yep, took it apart, cleaned it up, and oiled the heck out of it. No luck.

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 16, 2010, 12:03 AM
So you're saying that if you start to push up on the safety that it won't spring up?

Jenrick
January 16, 2010, 12:17 AM
No it'll go up when I push up on it, I just have to push directly up on it, not any other direction.

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 16, 2010, 12:28 AM
Hmmm...

MachIVshooter
January 16, 2010, 12:35 AM
No good reason to have the safety on, unless you're shooting in a match that requires it. TDA guns with decockers are really meant to be carried hammer down, safety off. THe long, heavy trigger pull becomes the safety

johnnylaw53
January 16, 2010, 06:22 AM
There was one beretta, I don't remember the modle number that the safty worked as a hammer drop only such as is on the sig's. I only engage the safty on my beretta when I'm loading it. Loaded the safty goes off. Have never had a problem with it being engage without me knowing it. There really no need to ever had it engage while carrying it.

be safe

Jenrick
January 16, 2010, 02:48 PM
Believe me I'm with everyone in terms of carrying it with the safety off. This isn't even going to be a carry gun, that's what my G34 and USP w/ LEM trigger are for. I'm just asking so that I know if I ever end up in a situation where I need to.

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 16, 2010, 08:47 PM
Beretta 92G (French military model.)

David E
January 16, 2010, 10:20 PM
If I had to carry it safety on, I'd practice wiping it off while acquiring my grip with the gun still in the holster.

If carrying a 92 safety on is NOT a valid or current concern for you, then I'd suggest spending about 10 minutes trying to figure it out, then spend the rest of your time improving your skills with the guns you WOULD use in a defense situation.

Jenrick
January 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
David E: Believe I spend quite a bit of time practicing with my carry pistols. I figure I might as well get in the habit, just like with a 1911. I don't normally carry one, but if I do, I know how to de-activate the safety. In this case if for some reason the safety gets activated I want an ingrained response to deactivate it.

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 16, 2010, 11:03 PM
Have you figured it out yet?

Jenrick
January 17, 2010, 12:31 AM
No luck. I might pull the safety apart and polish the two plungers a bit to see if that helps.

-Jenrick

David E
January 17, 2010, 01:16 AM
Since you don't normally carry one, keep the decocker/safety "off" when you do.

Problem solved.

HorseSoldier
January 17, 2010, 02:32 AM
The weapon is designed to be decocked and carried with the safety off -- unfortunately, which is how we carried them when I was in a USASOC unit. In the Big Army units I served in, any number of people with more authority than competence would have either wet themselves or gone ballistic making a spot "correction" if they caught you with an unsafed pistol.

That digression aside, just carry it loaded and decocked. The safety is poorly situated for fast manipulation under stress, which isn't its intended purpose.

jdh
January 17, 2010, 11:01 AM
the Beretta 92/96 has the easiest slide mounted safety to flip off.

The S&W safety is much easier for me than the Beretta. I do have to shift my grip just a little on the Beretta. I do not have to change my grip on the S&W.

1KPerDay
January 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
No luck. I might pull the safety apart and polish the two plungers a bit to see if that helps
What exactly are you trying to fix? The 92FS safety is designed to stay down until you push forward/upward on the tab, rotating it up into the 'fire' position. It's not like some "decockers" that spring back up after you press them down to decock. Just in case that was your question.

possum
January 17, 2010, 12:53 PM
personally i would carry it with the safety "off" you still have that long da trigger to contend with and that should be safety and assurance for anyone!:)

Lonestar49
January 17, 2010, 03:10 PM
Doesn't work on the PX4. But why carry a SA/DA with a safety on? I have carried SIGS for years, and no safeties.

True, but unlike the 92 FS slide mounted safety, one can convert the Px4's slide mounted safety into a G-model (decocker-only) very easily, by simply removing one tiny spring and ball bearing.

Then, like your Sigs, it will decock and pop-back-up on its own.

Ls

JohnKSa
January 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
What exactly are you trying to fix? The 92FS safety is designed to stay down until you push forward/upward on the tab, rotating it up into the 'fire' position. It's not like some "decockers" that spring back up after you press them down to decock. Just in case that was your question.Every 92FS I've handled has enough of a spring to the lever that bumping it out of the detent at the safety position and moving it forward a little is enough to move the lever all the way to the fire position.

Jenrick
January 17, 2010, 10:52 PM
What JohnKSa said is what I'm trying to get to happen, by polishing up the two plungers. New springs too now that I think about it.

-Jenrick

Jenrick
January 30, 2010, 04:52 AM
Just as an update, a bit of light polishing and dropping the safety assembly in the ultrasonic took care of the problem. The safety now pops up like described, but stays on safe just fine.

-Jenrick

9mmepiphany
January 30, 2010, 05:01 AM
glad to hear it worked out...i must say this is a new one for me, mine is well over 10 years old and i've never had it "stick"

REAPER4206969
January 30, 2010, 05:10 AM
Excellent!

SwampWolf
January 30, 2010, 02:53 PM
So you're saying that if you start to push up on the safety that it won't spring up?

No it'll go up when I push up on it, I just have to push directly up on it, not any other direction

Hmmm...

I'm not sure what's at issue here. The Beretta safety/decocker is not "spring-loaded" like, say, the HK USP series of pistols are. The Beretta "system" is akin to designs like the Smith & Wesson semi-autos are. Up is fire, down is safe and the decocker does not "spring" the safety to fire when the pistol is decocked. That function requires a separate action on the part of the shooter.

Like some other posters have opined, my suggestion is to carry the pistol off safe and rely on the long, revolver-like double-action trigger pull to be your "safety". This mode of carry (on our issued Third Generation Smiths) was the one required by my le agency.

Jenrick
January 30, 2010, 04:15 PM
If you press forward, and slightly down on the back of the safety the safety will disengage and move to fire. This is a much faster and less awkward method then pushing it upward fully.

As far as carrying it on safe or not, it's a bit of a moot point as it's not a carry gun.

-Jenrick

REAPER4206969
January 30, 2010, 06:18 PM
The Beretta safety/decocker is not "spring-loaded" like, say
Yes it is. Once you move it past the detent it will spring up to the fire position.

wrs840
January 30, 2010, 06:31 PM
The S&W safety is much easier for me than the Beretta. I do have to shift my grip just a little on the Beretta. I do not have to change my grip on the S&W.

I agree. Third gen Smiths anyway, and I own three of them, and only one Beretta 92FS. I also can't get the "push it down just right and it will spring up" either on my 92FS, it's mid-90's vintage, old enough to have a steel spring-guide. Now when pushing "up", as soon as it clears the detent, the spring does the rest, like Reaper says... The 3rd gen Smiths don't do that... it's easier for my thumb to reach them to flick "off-safety" though.

Les

jaysouth
January 30, 2010, 08:23 PM
I have carried Smith autos for many decades now. The only time that I engage the safety is when the gun is stored outside a properly fitting holster.

For example, you need to go in the courthouse, take the gun out of your holster, engage the safety and put it under the seat of your auto, or you stuff it in your waistband for a quick trip somewhere. I like the having the ability to use the safety where I deem necessary. However, I do not use it for holstered carry.

However, If you were required to use it for holstered carry, you should be able to master the technique in about 5 evolutions.

SwampWolf
January 31, 2010, 04:50 PM
REAPER42066969: Read my post in its entirety and don't cherry-pick parts of posts out of context to support your position. When you depress the decocker on, say, an HK UPS, the decocking/safety lever springs up to the "fire/off safe" position, with no separate action taken on the part of the shooter. When the decocker is employed on the Beretta, it takes a separate movement of the thumb to get the lever in the "fire" position. I have both pistols and I just got through verifying what I already thought I knew. In terms of why we seem to be disagreeing on this pretty basic aspect of the "manual of arms" for the Beretta, I can only surmise that "what we have here is a lack of communication". :confused:

JohnKSa
January 31, 2010, 10:04 PM
SwampWolf,

Without being too contentious, there are H&K USP variants with standard decocking safeties (lever stays in the safe position when released) and Beretta 92 variants with decock-only levers (lever springs back to the fire position when released).

But that's really neither here nor there, the discussion on this thread was about how to disengage the safety on a 92FS--that's a gun with a standard decocking safety.

You are correct that in normal operation the lever stays in the down/safe position when released, however there is some spring-load in the lever. All the 92FS pistols I have handled have enough of a spring-load in the decock/safety lever that a good bump forward on the lever is enough to get it out of the detent for the "safe" position and enough to carry the lever all the way to the "fire" position.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92FS Safety Manipulation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!