whats so special about the HK P7?

PDA

Voland
January 15, 2010, 11:18 PM
Every time I see this pistol mentioned, people rave about it. It looks kinda odd to me. What makes this guy so good?

Thanks!
V.

If you enjoyed reading about "whats so special about the HK P7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quiet
January 15, 2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.gunfaqs.org/P7FAQ/Magazine_Articles/P7%20Ad%20July%201988.jpg

owlhoot
January 16, 2010, 01:18 AM
I carried a P7 as an off duty weapon over 25 years ago. At the time it was the smallest, lightest 9mm on the market. It was extremely accurate and dependable and the trigger pull was very good. I wish I still had mine.

earlthegoat2
January 16, 2010, 01:47 AM
The ones who rave about it are the vocal minority. Generally speaking it is not that popular. Those who own them though praise them highly. As an owner of one myself, I agree with all the praise.

You can click my sig line to learn more about them. It is slightly biased towards the P7 but there is a great deal of information about their shortcomings as well.

Peter M. Eick
January 16, 2010, 07:46 AM
As others have pointed out, you either love them or hate them. I love mine. I have 3 of them. They are accurate, reliable and safe for carry. The key thing is that they used to be very expensive. Over $1000 used for a nice one. So folks that hated them, hated the price not the gun. Now that they are cheap because of the imports are flooding in, you have to wonder how many of those folks would have a different opinion.

Handle one some day. Feel the quality. They are lifetime investments in machined steel, not some injected modeled piece of plastic that some folks rave about yet I consider worthless.

See the difference?

usp9
January 16, 2010, 08:24 AM
whats so special about the HK P7?

It's very thin, thus easy to conceal.
Small and compact, yet duty worthy.
It's very accurate, points naturally, thus makes shooting well easier.
It's very reliable.
It's very well made, quality material and machining.
Nice trigger.

Quiet, I've never seen that ad before...nice find and post.

Voland
January 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
Well, they sound very practical and being sig, quality. I'm going to the indoor range today and hopefully they have one I can shoot.

Thanks all for the info. Also, it appears that theres another thread very similar to this one in the autoloaders so I am going to go read that one as well... :D

V.

highorder
January 16, 2010, 11:00 AM
Well, they sound very practical and being sig, quality.

You mean HK quality, right?

AK103K
January 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think those who have them know what they are, and those that dont, or who havent spent any real time with one dont.

The only things about them I found lacking, were that you pretty much have to dedicate yourself to the platform if you want to use it as a weapon. Its really not something you want to be switching back and forth with. Holster selection was the other, but that isnt as much of a problem today as it was when I had mine. You do have to make sure the holster covers and doenst contact the mag release though. If not, you'll keep finding the mag that was in the gun, on the front seat of your car (or worse, clattering to the ground just outside) when you get out.

Other than that, they are great pistols.

PX15
January 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
AK103K:

And the concern for having the mag. accidentally released is only a consideration in the P7M8.

As I'm sure you know the mag. release on the P7 is in the European "heel" style, and cannot be accidentally released as can those of the P7M8.

I believe a considerable number of folks new to HK P7 ownership came by their P7's when the surplus Lower Saxony Police imports hit the market last year.

I know I could never afford a P7M8, but CDNN made it possible for me to get my first "A" grade P7, and my appreciation for that pistol encouraged me to "thin the herd" somewhat to finance another two.. :D

As good as the P7 is, and I'd be the first to say it is very, very good. I have found, for my needs, the HK P2000sk is a better daily carry choice..

I think any "gun lover" (who loves the 9mm platform) needs to at least check out the P7, or P7M8.. Some folks instantly fall in love with the "squeezecocker", some absolutely hate it.

But you never hear anyone who has actually held, and shot one, say it's not a top quality pistol.

No offense,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1164.jpg

AK103K
January 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
No, your right, the straight up P7 or PSP has the heel release.

Mine was a P7M13.

It wasnt expensive at all either, I only paid $450 for it new. :neener:

mokin
January 16, 2010, 12:41 PM
An interesting thread.

I have been an HK fan for a long time so when I was in the market for a new pistol I looked at the P7. I remember when it came out it was highly praised. I guess the big deal was that the pistol had the trigger pull of a single action but you could still carry the pistol with a round in the chamber. This was in the days when law enforcement carried revolvers and folks were afraid to carry a 1911 cocked and locked. However, in the years since the P7 came out a lot of other pistols have come out in more calibers. For instance, I don't think Glock was around nor the .40 S&W. Although I ended up going with another pistol (I have since purchased a Browning High Power and a Glock) the P7 still intrigues me and I'd like to shoot one sometime.

Rexster
January 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
There is a current P7 discussion in the autopistol forum here on THR.

NinjaFeint
January 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
I hate to say it but I have been underwhelmed by this pistol. I heard so many things about it, then I shot a friends and it was just another gun. I understand the innovations it made at the time it came out but the only difference I noticed is "squeeze cockin".

I think it is just one of those things, it's either that special kind of cool for you or it isn't. For me it isn't but I will say it's a well made gun. Thing is, there are a lot of well made guns I would rather have. If it does it for you then all the more power to you.

To the OP, put your fingerprints on one and see how it feels for you. Just my two cents.

TheDriver
January 16, 2010, 07:32 PM
I don't really care for the operation, and swapping mags with the heel release is a pain.

HOWEVER - it is CRAZY accurate, and very obviously well-made.

Manco
January 16, 2010, 08:39 PM
As others have pointed out, you either love them or hate them.

I guess there are exceptions to every rule because while I like this design concept in theory, I can't say that I strongly "love" it or hate it. Admittedly, I've never fired a P7, but since I could never get completely comfortable with grip safeties on other handguns, I seriously doubt that I'd find squeezing the cocking lever any better. It's a personal thing, but the concept is still a good one and very practical for many people, in my opinion.

Handle one some day. Feel the quality. They are lifetime investments in machined steel, not some injected modeled piece of plastic that some folks rave about yet I consider worthless.

See the difference?

Funny, I used to detest the very notion of plastic pistols until I tried several and ended up buying one that I've been very happy with ever since. :)

oneounceload
January 16, 2010, 08:52 PM
My P7 is an excellent gun, capable of better accuracy than I am, well made, good looking, and just fun to shoot

earlthegoat2
January 16, 2010, 09:18 PM
I am a primary revovler shooter. The transition to the P7 took nothing at all. Depressing the cocking lever is not something that needs to be learned if you do in fact squeeze on the grip when firing any pistol.

The fact that the cocking lever functions to cock the pistol, decock the pistol, act as the slide release, and is a manual safety is where confusion in the manual of arms starts to set in. It is nice that you can take it off safe and cock the striker at the same time as well as decock it and put it on safe at the same time and with the same motion. It is truly a slide release as opposed to the slide lock lever that is typical on other pistols. It is the only pistol that has a slide release that is designed to be used as a slide release unlike on another pistol where the slide lock lever CAN function as a slide release but in a cumbersome way. Most do not know it but these pistols are designed to be slingshotted after inserting a fresh magazine and not by pressing down on the slide release lever.

The P7 method is faster and easier. Like I say though, there also is a host of disadvantages that can be read up on elsewhere. Like clicking the link below.

Or this one. (http://earlthegoat2.blogspot.com/2009/08/exceptions-in-exceptional-pistol-hk-p7.html)

AK103K
January 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
Depressing the cocking lever is not something that needs to be learned if you do in fact squeeze on the grip when firing any pistol.
Well, sort of. You do have to "cock" the pistol, which initially takes extra effort than just a normal grip. Once you pass that break point, it takes no effort at all to keep the gun cocked.

This is one reason I think its not a good idea to switch back and forth between the P7's and all others. With the P7's, your brain needs to be wired for that initial cocking.

Rodentman
January 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
I had mine refinished by Robar in Phoenix. I consider the $ have in it comparable to a high quality pistol such as a current HK or Sig model. I don't think the $700 I paid + $300 for the refinishing to be outrageous. It will definitely outlast me.

http://fototime.com/1E52E106B8BCD77/standard.jpg

Tom2112
January 19, 2010, 01:19 AM
The P7 is definitely and interesting gun. I would love to have a P7M13 or even an M8. I don't think I would bother with the A models and the odd magazine release. I've fired my friend's P7M8 and it is a sweet pistol. I've always been an HK fan, so I'm probably biased. But even so, I wouldn't carry the P7. I never fel comfortable with the squeeze cocking. Despite the ever-so-slight amount of pressure it takes to keep it cocked, I found it distracting and annoying. I'd still like to have one, as they are a landmark in firearm innovation.

rmfnla
January 19, 2010, 01:38 AM
I'm another who was not impressed.

I was a working gunsmith when these were introduced so I had no trouble getting range time with one. Nicely made, but it just didn't hit me with the "gotta have one" stick.

HorseSoldier
January 19, 2010, 01:46 AM
I've never been quite sold enough on them to fork over the money for one, but I played with the half dozen my last unit had in our foreign weapons set whenever I got the chance. I thought they were remarkably accurate and fast handling, though the manual of arms took a little getting used to. Much more interesting than HK's pistols since they discovered polymer frames and such.

Starcheck55
January 19, 2010, 02:06 AM
A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

jimk66
January 19, 2010, 09:19 AM
Just fire a couple of magazines thru a P7 or P7M8 and the unbelievable little pistols will speak for themselves. No words will be necessary except where a fellow might find one. :D
JimK

If you enjoyed reading about "whats so special about the HK P7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!