Kel-tec PF-9...what a sweet little CCW!

PDA

wnycollector
January 16, 2010, 01:14 PM
I have had my Kel-tec PF-9 for a month now and put 400 trouble free rounds through it thus far. In those 400 rounds (200 125gr CNL reloads, 100 Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and 100 JHP's) I have had only one FTE and two FTF's that were ALL attributable to me (2 accidental mag relases and once my thumb brushed the slide during recoil). The more I shoot this pistol the smoother the trigger gets and the smaller my groups become:cool: Once I run 150 rounds of my carry ammo (federal 147gr HST's) through it, I anticipate that it will become my daily carry either in my front pocket or IWB.

One of the more surprising things for me is that this pistol was 100% reliable out of the box without the famous Fluff and Buff being performed on it. For less than $300 ($282 OTD) this is a steal IMOO.

I forgot to mention that I have added the pearce grip extensions to my mags in order to get three fingers on the PF-9 and the KT addons grip pads and slip on grip cover. Those additions (plus a few minutes with a sharp knife and sand paper smoothing out some rough spots on the frame) allow me to comfortably shoot 100 rounds/range session.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-tec PF-9...what a sweet little CCW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
COgunner
January 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
I agree - I've had one for a couple of years now and I love it. I was absolutely amazed at how accurate it is at reasonable distances. Yes, the trigger pull is long, but (on mine at least) very smooth and relatively light. l can group with it better than some of my other, much more expensive pistols. It is also small and light enough that I can forget I'm carrying it. I can also just stick it in my pocket for a quick run to the store or something. It's nice to have 9mm firepower in a small, light package. I've handled, but not shot, the Walther PPS and Taurus Slim 709 and I like the size and feel of the PF9 better

hardluk1
January 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
I can go along with everthing COgunner said about the pf-9.

gbelleh
January 16, 2010, 03:12 PM
I agree. It's so small and light, I carry a PF-9 almost everyday. It has been trouble free with over 1,000 rounds fired so far.

Hatterasguy
January 16, 2010, 03:29 PM
My friend has a little Kel-tec in .380. Its a nice little pistol I have shot it a bunch, perfect for CC IMHO.

wnycollector
January 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
the trigger pull is long, but (on mine at least) very smooth and relatively light

That pretty much describes my trigger. It feels like the trigger of a DA revolver...very much like the trigger on my S&W M36.

TheDriver
January 16, 2010, 05:16 PM
Good to hear some recent news on the PF9. I've been thinking of picking one up.

Strahley
January 16, 2010, 07:23 PM
Good to hear. A PF-9 will be my next handgun purchase, can't wait

Logan80
January 17, 2010, 02:06 AM
I've never shot a PF-9, but can't see how it could be any better than my P11, which is a fantastic gun so far. It's only a TENTH of an inch thicker than the PF-9, but has a 10 rnd magazine...

COgunner
January 17, 2010, 12:03 PM
Well, the P11 is actually .12" wider, but you make a great point. I didn't realize they are that close in width (which, for me, is the most important measurement for CCW). I may have to pick up a P11 just for fun.

I also have a P40, but haven't shot it in years. After a couple of magazines, I have a bit of skin missing from the top of my thumb joint. Takes an Ironman grip to make it run reliably too.

kokapelli
January 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
I've never shot a PF-9, but can't see how it could be any better than my P11, which is a fantastic gun so far. It's only a TENTH of an inch thicker than the PF-9, but has a 10 rnd magazine...

Having owned a P11, PF9 and now a PM9, I will take the PM9 in a heartbeat over either the P11 or PF9, but if I could only own a PF9 or P11 I would take the PF9 over the P11 because it has a much better trigger and even though the PF9 holds fewer rounds than the P11 I figure I would get more and better hits with the PF9 because of the better trigger.

Yo Mama
January 17, 2010, 12:09 PM
I bought mine when they first came out for $250. Saw one the other day for $350. Can't believe it went up that much.

I love mine, completely trouble free other than sending back to the factory for a new frame that they retrofitted for free when they first came out. I hate shooting it only because it hurts to put alot of rounds through, but probably have 250 rounds through it mostly hollow points to test carry ammo.

For my work, CCW is mandatory, no one can know. The pf9 gives me a larger caliber and with 7 rounds in a mag I'm pretty sure it can be a darn good defensive pistol.

I have the baby brother in .380, but I find that I never carry it as it's a smaller caliber, and ammo is much harder to find.

wnycollector
January 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
I hate shooting it only because it hurts to put alot of rounds through

I highly recommend the grip pads from KTaddons plus the slip on rubber grip of your choice (ktaddons, hogue hand-all Jr or pachmayr). They make a huge difference with virtually zero added bulk.

UniversalFrost
January 17, 2010, 01:16 PM
pf-9 is a nice little pocket gun, buddy has one and I have shot it and shoots well, but has a bit of bite. keltec has great customer service as well. I have owned several keltecs and all are reliable.

only pocket 9mm under 500 I like more is the taurus 709 slim. it has no bite and is accurate like a laser with a glock like trigger, but has double strike capability. if you can spend more than 500 for a 9mm pocket pistol get a rohrbaugh (that is just the nicest pocket pistol you can buy).

Yo Mama
January 17, 2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks wnycollector! I'll be ordering one for each of mine.

gbelleh
January 17, 2010, 01:51 PM
The P-11 is only slightly bigger than the PF-9 on paper, but I have owned both, and I find the flatter grip of the PF-9 makes a big difference when concealing under a t-shirt.

saturno_v
January 17, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have a P-11 and I absolutely love it....it did become my primary CCW (front pocket) because I got tired of carrying full size.

However the real capacity of the P-11 magazine is 12 rounds.

It is shipped with a 10 rounders only because of the law in some states (for example California)

I bought 2 extra 12 rounders from Kel-Tec.

Having owned a P11, PF9 and now a PM9, I will take the PM9 in a heartbeat over either the P11 or PF9, but if I could only own a PF9 or P11 I would take the PF9 over the P11 because it has a much better trigger and even though the PF9 holds fewer rounds than the P11 I figure I would get more and better hits with the PF9 because of the better trigger.

I would take the P-11 and PF-9 over the Kahrs any time of the day...:)

Difference between "best value for the money" and "way overpriced"

For example, it was fun few weeks ago at the range to see the overpriced brand new Rohrbaugh R9 of one guy jamming all the time...and no +p....the worst $1000 spent on a firearm....
I did feed my $260 P-11 anything and it keeps rolling

kokapelli
January 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
I would take the P-11 and PF-9 over the Kahrs any time of the day...

Difference between "best value for the money" and "way overpriced"

For example, it was fun few weeks ago at the range to see the overpriced brand new Rohrbaugh R9 of one guy jamming all the time...and no +p....the worst $1000 spent on a firearm....
I did feed my $260 P-11 anything and it keeps rolling

If you want to compare the PM9 and the PF9 and P11, yes the KTs are cheaper, but it ends there.

I have a number of KelTecs and they are good bargains if price is your main criteria, but other than price and a higher capacity in the P11 there is nothing else the PF9 and P11 offer that compares with a PM9.

If you want a quality pistol and are willing to pay the price the PM9 is in a different league than the P11 and PF9.

You can not compare the triggers, accuracy, felt recoil or workmanship of the P11 and PF9 to a Kahr PM9. The PM9 is in a whole different league than the KT pistols.

As for the Rohrbaugh jamming, that has nothing to do with the PM9. I have approximately 4000 rounds of many brands of ammo through my PM9 and have never had a jam or misfire and felt recoil is way less than it was on my PF9. I can shoot my PM9 all day and that's something I could never do with my PF9.

Try wiggling the slide on a PF9 and then try it on a PM9. The slides on the two PF9s I had were so loose I thought they might fly off.

I love my SU16C and am satisfied with the P-3Ats I own, but I would and did trade my PF9 for a far superior pistol.:)

wnycollector
January 17, 2010, 05:34 PM
However the real capacity of the P-11 magazine is 12 rounds.

In theory, the P-11 can accept any S&W 5900 series mag. So you could carry your P-11 with a 10 or 12 round mag and then pop in a mecgar 17 or 20 round mag as a backup mag.

Yo Mama
January 17, 2010, 05:47 PM
I would take the P-11 and PF-9 over the Kahrs any time of the day...

+1, you should do a search on this a compare problems with Kahr vs. keltec.

My money stays with the keltec.

kokapelli
January 17, 2010, 06:39 PM
+1, you should do a search on this a compare problems with Kahr vs. keltec.

I have done my research! I had two PF9s, a P11 and two Kahr pistols, a PM9 and a K9. The Keltec P11 had the worst trigger I have ever shot and the PF9s were so loose I was almost afraid to shoot them!

My Kahr K9 is one of the early Kahrs and it has been flawless over many, many years and as I have said the PM9 has also been flawless.

I carry Gold Dot +P for short barrel guns in the PM9 and I have shot a lot of +P+ from the K9 and after all the years I have had it it is still relatively tight.

The slide on the PF9 I had was so loose I was afraid I would end up wearing it in my forehead so I sent it back to KT and they sent a new pistol. The second one was a little better but still way too loose. In the meantime I had purchased a PM9 and the difference between the PF9 and the PM9 was like night and day and IMO the PM9 is far superior in every respect when compared to the PF9 so I just traded the PF9 away.

I have no problem with Keltec service which has always been very good and the few times I have had any problems they have always sent the parts I needed to fix my pistols and the time I sent the PF9 back they replaced it immediately but I have done the research and as I said own two Kahrs and both have been just superb pistols.

NinjaFeint
January 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
I carry a PM9 but I am glad to hear the PF9 is working out so well for you.

-v-
January 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
+1 on the PF-9.

Had one for two years now, and it has never hiccuped. Only malfunctions it has had were user-induced from limp-wristing.

Sure, the slide on the Kel-Tec is looser. The PF-9 is also a gun intended to be carried in your pocket. The looser slide to frame gives all the pocket lint, dirt, and grime some place to go to keep your gun reliable.

Also, we are talking about a browning-type lock-breech design. Looseness of frame to slide is an entirely irrelevant concern. As long as the barrel locks to the slide in a solid manner, the rest is irrelevant.

Personally, I usually carry a 4" service gun anyway.

saturno_v
January 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
Kokapelli

The only thing I may concede to the Kahrs is that they are superior (not that much) in the finishing (NOT the fit)...however who cares about that for a pocket piece?? It stays in your pocket, it will eventually get scratched up, it is an emergency pistol not a BBQ handgun or a safe queen.

I guess Kahr has to somewhat justify $500 difference....if you are happy I'm happy for you...;)

The Kel-Tec P-11 is a truly small wonder of technical ingenuity in a small package...it has been designed by the Swedish engineer George Kelgren an ex-Bofors designer...that is a very good pedrigree to have in the firearm world.

The P-11 and PF-9 are +P rated, I do not know if it's the same for the Kahrs are the same, at least officially.

With basically the same size and weight the P-11 has 12 rounds capacity (flush, no extension) Vs. 6+1 for the Kahr PM9 (7+1 only with the magazine extension)

The PF-9 is slimmer than the PM9 (0.88 vs. 0.90) and still has 7+1 magazine capacity.

All the KT pistols I handled did not have any sort of "loose slide"....and, however, a too tight slide coupling with the frame may induce cycling problems (especially when the pistol stays in your pocket catching lint and dust)...and many Kahrs have issues in that department.

Accuracy?? How about all my rounds in the black at over 15 yards?? Again, it is a pocket piece, intended for very short distances....it is not a range tool.

I saw quite few new Kahrs jamming...

Sorry for your PF-9 problems..you should be aware the the PF-9 had some early problems (like any new pistol in the market) that did need to be worked out...and Kel-Tec did take care of them. I got the P-11 at the time of my purchase exactly because it was an already proven design, the PF-9 was a very new model back then.

KT has one of the best Customer Service in the industry, hands down.

I have no problem whatsoever with the P-11 trigger...very long pull = very effective safety when is in your pocket.....I stress this again, it is a pocket piece not a target range handgun

So if you want to spend more than double of your money on a Kahr, it is your choice but, please, do not trash the Kel-Tecs because from an engineering point of view they are even superior to the Kahrs.

As Yo Mama said already, so far my money stays with Kel-Tec when it comes to pocket handguns :)

Yo Mama
January 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
Kokapelli, I understand finish and fit, but did you ever have a problem with the function of the gun?

I've always thought a bit loose is ok, to rigid gets rounds stuck.

lgjhn
January 17, 2010, 11:00 PM
+1 on the PF9.

I've had one for awhile now and added an Armalaser sight to it.
I use it as a BUG but it could easily do front line CC duty. It goes bang every time I've squeezed that long, smooth trigger and is fairly accurate at defense range, especially with the laser. I run 115gr Gold Dots in it.

GlockFan
January 18, 2010, 12:44 AM
Ok, first off I have a P3AT. Have had 0 problems with it running various target ammo or hot cor-bon stuff. I would be very interested in this pistol except I am expecting delivery of a P7 tomorrow. But from what i have read on the Pf-9 and my experience with my P3AT it sounds like a winner and future purchase.

navyretired 1
January 18, 2010, 04:52 AM
I like the PF9 but I love my P11's. My CCW is a P11 with Kel-Tek's belt clip. In the summer with shorts and Skivey shirt it's tucked into midrift very comfortably and no-one's every seen it, it doesn't telegraph at all. In the winter I carry the other in customized paddle behind right hip.
The've been desighted with blank fillers, dehorned, Cut Gutter-snipe grove and parkerized slides.
I'm not understanding the differences in triggers, aren't they the same.
BTW the P11 will take S&W high-cap mags. I don't used mod 59's but I do use 6906 stainless mags with a filler cut dowh from Kel-Tek's spacer for 59 mags
I see the P11 trashed all the time on numerous websites but my guns are absolutly dependable.

wnycollector
January 18, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'm not understanding the differences in triggers, aren't they the same.

IIRC, newer P11's have 8.5lb trigger pull (the old ones were 10lbs!), whereas the PF-9 is in the 5.5 range. I have also read that the length of pull is shorter on the PF-9. Also the PF-9 does not have a second strike capability like the p11. IMOO thats ok since it forces the user to practice their "tap, rack, bang" drills!

kokapelli
January 18, 2010, 08:00 AM
Kokapelli, I understand finish and fit, but did you ever have a problem with the function of the gun?

I've always thought a bit loose is ok, to rigid gets rounds stuck.

I had no problems with my PF9 in regard to function although the recoil was pretty sever.

In regard to it being a "bit loose", it wasn't a bit loose, it was so loose it would rattle if I just shook it a little and it wasn't the magazine rattling, it was the slide!

For those of you that think the Kahr's only advantage being fit and finish, I can only believe you have never shot a Kahr.

Browns Fan
January 18, 2010, 09:40 AM
My pf9 is my usual CCW. My IDPA club does a BUG side match every other month and I usually do well with the keltec.

saturno_v
January 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
For those of you that think the Kahr's only advantage being fit and finish, I can only believe you have never shot a Kahr.

The only advantage is the finish not the fit
And I did shoot a Kahr more than once and I was not that impressed compared to my KT.

As for your PF-9 being too loose you should have get that fixed by Kel-Tec.

kokapelli
January 18, 2010, 11:34 AM

Go back and read my post!:banghead:

NinjaFeint
January 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
The only advantage is the finish not the fit
And I did shoot a Kahr more than once and I was not that impressed compared to my KT.

I am probably going to be in the minority. I own a Kahr PM9 and it feels much better for me than a PF9. That said, if you like the PF9 better, more power to you. You just spent way less money than me for the same amount of happy.

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 12:56 PM

People get the PF9 because they can't shoot DA well (the P11's is longer and a little heavier) or for the flatter profile, less bulk in the pocket. I prefer my P11, though, for the capacity. It is not any harder for me to pocket in my front pocket of carpenter's or Wrangler cargo jeans which is my preferred wear. I prefer the trigger because I CAN shoot it well and it's a little safer to carry (not much, I admit) and it has second strike capability.

My P11 will regularly put 11 rounds (I never got the 12 round mags, bought it in the Clinton years) into 3.5" at 25 yards to POA with +P 115 JHPs. Give me 8 rounds off hand at 25 yards and I can mow down those 6 6" falling plates we have at the range every time. As the PF9 is essentially the same upper design, I'd expect it to be equally as accurate.

If I didn't already have the P11, I'd probably opt for the PF9 for the thinner pocket profile, but as I can't see a huge difference and love the P11, I don't bother. Kahr has it's problems, too, and I know Kel Tec's customer service is one of the best in the country, though in 14 years of shooting and carrying the P11 regularly, I haven't had to use them. I'm sure the Kahr comes with fewer tooling marks, but for 200 dollars less, I'll live with the tooling marks. The BG ain't gonna stop and admire the gun, after all. :rolleyes: After 14 years riding in a pocket, mine ain't that beautiful anymore, anyway.

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 01:03 PM
BTW, yeah, my P11 came with a 10 lb trigger, lighter than my Smith and Wesson by 3 lbs. If 10 lbs is too much, you must be a girl.:neener:

saturno_v
January 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
Mcgunner

Make it $500 less (MSRP) for the Kel-Tecs compared to the PM9

I agree with you.. I keep the tooling marks!!...happy P-11 owner here!! :D

saturno_v
January 18, 2010, 01:32 PM
Kokapelli

Why I need to read yur post again??

You complainend about excessive looseness of the slide and feared it "may come off the frame rail"...I suggested that you should have get that fixed by KT...that's all.

kokapelli
January 18, 2010, 01:55 PM
Why I need to read yur post again??

You complainend about excessive looseness of the slide and feared it "may come off the frame rail"...I suggested that you should have get that fixed by KT...that's all.
saturno_v if you read my posts you would know that I did send the PF9 back to KelTec and that they replaced the pistol with another one that was still very loose but not quite as bad.

I'm sure the Kahr comes with fewer tooling marks, but for 200 dollars less, I'll live with the tooling marks.
You really think the only difference for $200 more is tool marks !:rolleyes:

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 03:29 PM
Make it $500 less (MSRP) for the Kel-Tecs compared to the PM9

Yeah, well, you know what they say. If you gotta ask the price, you can't afford it. LOL. Damn, though, that's getting real close to the Rohrbaugh in price, ain't it?

NinjaFeint
January 18, 2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah, well, you know what they say. If you gotta ask the price, you can't afford it. LOL. Damn, though, that's getting real close to the Rohrbaugh in price, ain't it?
PM9's around here run $650-$800 NIB depending on store and model. Rohrbaugh's from what I can tell run $1000-$1500 not that I ever see one in the stores, only on the internets.

wnycollector
January 18, 2010, 04:02 PM
I my neck of the woods the difference in price between the PM-9 and PF-9 is $300. I have a few shooting buddies that are LEO's and better than 1/2 of them carry Kahr's in 9mm, .40 and .40 as their off duty guns. I have shot their pistols occasionally...I will admit they are sweet little guns...but IMOO they are not worth double the price of my PF-9. Ohhh btw, the LEO's I know who dont carry Kahr's or .38 J frames carry PF-9's;)

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 04:08 PM
Well, everyone knows what works for them. The OP says the PF9 is sweet and, well, i can't argue the point. :D

NinjaFeint
January 18, 2010, 04:27 PM
Well, everyone knows what works for them. The OP says the PF9 is sweet and, well, i can't argue the point. :D
Agreed, I wanted so bad for the PF9 to be it for me, just wasn't.

wnycollector
January 18, 2010, 05:41 PM
BTW, yeah, my P11 came with a 10 lb trigger, lighter than my Smith and Wesson by 3 lbs. If 10 lbs is too much, you must be a girl.

I gotta get a trigger pull gauge, cuz I cant believe that ANY of my S&W revolvers have a heavier pull than a P11's trigger! Maybe my model 638 might be the equal of the P11 at 10 lbs...but my 1964 M36 feels similar to my PF-9.

MC, can you "stage" the trigger on your P11 in order to accurately shoot it at longer ranges?

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 05:58 PM
It stages a little right at the end of travel making shot placement easy.

Routine trigger weights can run to 15 lbs on out of the box J frames, but they're smooth. My old M10 is smooth as a baby's butt, but it is 13 lbs. A good worked over revolver will squeeze 9 lbs or so. If you lighten trigger pull on a revolver, you do risk reliability. A good smith can get an S&W trigger down to 9 lbs or so, quite light. I've felt such triggers. My buddy has a M29 with such a worked over trigger, pretty awesome.

Revolver triggers have less travel than the P11, might give you the impression it's stiffer, but the P11 is very, very smooth and that's what really counts. It doesn't have to turn any wheels, pull any hammer blocks, lock any cylinder latches, all it does is cock and release a hammer, yes, I said a hammer. It is not striker fired as some little guns like this are.

wnycollector
January 18, 2010, 06:49 PM
I have three revolvers that I think have wonderful triggers, a 1924 M&P 4th change (aka long action K frame) and two N frames S&W model 27 and model 28. All of them have the classic "breaks like a glass rod" trigger. It must be the smoothness that makes them feel so lite!

the P11 is very, very smooth and that's what really counts
I agree with you...smoothness is more important than weight...but the length of travel on the P11 I tried was a real turnoff even for a die hard revolver guy like myself!

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 06:59 PM
I agree with you...smoothness is more important than weight...but the length of travel on the P11 I tried was a real turnoff even for a die hard revolver guy like myself!

It just takes a little getting used to. The pay off is a very safe gun to pocket carry and it's always ready to shoot. The lighter and shorter the trigger, the less I tend to like it in a pocket gun. I mean, within reason, now. I think 10 lbs is enough, 7 lbs (PF9) is fine. But, light/short triggers like the Glocks and the Kahr K9 I tried make me nervous. On a belt in a good holster covering the trigger is one thing, but not for a pocket auto.

This is just my personal bias, though. I know some guys pocket a G26. Ain't for me, though. I have a Grendel P12 I don't particularly like the trigger on. It's gotta be 15 lbs and it doesn't stage. It actually starts out stiff, then gets lighter, very weird to get used to. Shooting fast it isn't so strange, but don't try to shoot groups off the bench with it. I can still shoot it fairly well, but don't really like its trigger. The reset is WAY out next to the trigger guard for one thing. I had to trim back part of the trigger guard at the front to give my finger room so the thing would reset. It works, I like the gun for its size and reliability and a few other design items I like on it, but the trigger isn't one of them. And, you ever tried one of those first AMT .45 back ups that were DAO? That thing had to have a 25 lb trigger if it was an ounce. LOL Now, that's a little much.

Really want a bad trigger, try a Nagant revolver, though. That DEFINES bad. The single action is worse than the P11's double action, much worse. :rolleyes: Don't even attempt it with DA. LOL! I suppose everyone has his own limits. I have a friend that actually LIKES Nagants, has 3 of 'em. No accounting for poor taste, I say. :D

wnycollector
January 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
I got ya beat. My father-in-law has a COP .357 derringer...lets just say the nagant might feel lite in comparison at 25lbs;)

Here is a link to a little overview of the COP .357 http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Single-Shot-Pistols/COP_357.htm

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
Ouch, well, haven't tried that one. LOL

MCgunner
January 18, 2010, 07:10 PM
Oh, yeah, one thing about my buddy with the Nagants, he shoots with his middle finger on the trigger. His trigger finger is a nub. It got cut off dehorning cattle. His brother-in-law whacked it with a guillotine type dehorning tool. The middle finger is a bit bigger and stronger, I guess.

No, he's not the guy in the movie "sniper". LOL

wnycollector
January 24, 2010, 05:11 PM
To update all of you on the PF-9. I shot the PF-9 last weekend w/o any problems. I had a million things going on and in a lapse of judgment I put my PF-9 away w/o cleaning it! Today I took it to the range and had 3 FTE's on the first 3 mags. I decided to field strip it and clean off as much crud as I could with a few paper towels. After reassembly, it was flawless for the next 79 rounds! The moral of the story for this PF-9...it REALLY likes to be cleaned and lubed after trips to the range.

With any luck, my 147gr HST's will arrive this week and I can run 100 of them through this pistol and begin to carry it daily.

mordechaianiliewicz
January 24, 2010, 06:22 PM
Well, the Kel Tecs are not range queens. They are quick and dirty CCW pieces. I like 'em myself. But, I only shoot it once every few months.

Flash!
January 24, 2010, 07:10 PM
I bought a PF9 yesterday and took it to the range today..... it performed flawlessly..... I was surprised at it accuracy.... I found my new carry gun....

I looked at Kahr, Walther, Rorbaugh and various others.... for the price, concealability, and reliability..... the Kel Tec is the one to get

COgunner
January 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
I bought a PF9 yesterday and took it to the range today..... it performed flawlessly..... I was surprised at it accuracy.... I found my new carry gun....

I looked at Kahr, Walther, Rorbaugh and various others.... for the price, concealability, and reliability..... the Kel Tec is the one to get
I'm with you on that. Every time I shoot mine, I'm amazed at how accurate it is. It seems counterintuitive. It's my go-to gun when I need something smaller than a 1911.

jonboynumba1
March 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
I just aquired a used PF9 in trade for a gun I just never really liked that I had $200 in. I'm well pleased! The only reason I don't own TWO PM9's from Khar is the price just doesn't fit into our budget...I'm going to see if the wife can handle the PF9 comfy enough with the KT add-ons in place when they come in and if so order another one...if not get her a P3AT or LCP....we both carry XD9 4" pistols now but sometimes lets face it...having a smaller option (especially in warm months) is nice. The PF9 is comfy in a cheap pocket holster days I wear overalls or just don't want to carry the regular gun for some reason...I like that it shares my minimum standard (+P 9mm or .38) which is the biggest thing the wife is 100% comfy with (though she shoots .40 OK...she doesn't like it)
So for me when I needed something a working man can afford TWO of that is NOT a primary CCW (though it has been this week...hhhmmmmm) well a couple lightly used KT PF9's look a lot better than the 1000+ the two stainless PM9's would cost me even at wholesale + tax! (currently $1110.00 wholesale + 9% tax for two!) vs. the less than $450 with accessories I'll have in two PF9's (this one and ordering another one wholesale for about $230 wholesale plus tax all together or $460 if I'd ordered two new!) That's a BIG price difference...the PM9 is deffinately a MUCH nicer pistol...I'd much rather have two of them...but that will take a few more years of bargain hunting and trading I guess...they are a really SMALL share of the secondhand market because they are overpriced....less popular and people that pay through the nose for em usually keep em...but that doesn't detract from them being dang good pistols...just the value they represent....if they where anywhere near what a GLOCK costs I'd have bought two with my tax refund this year...that extra $100 runs off a LOT of would be Moonie gun owners! They have introduced some cheaper versions lately though...perhaps they are catching on....no cheap PM9 version though :( guess I'll buy another KT

wnycollector
March 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
I see that this thread has been revived, so I thought another update was warranted.

I'm past the 600 round mark and the one thing that is evident is that my PF-9 is 100% reliable when it is clean but even a little bit of powder residue on the slide rails or extractor can cause problems.

In my last post I said...
I put my PF-9 away w/o cleaning it! Today I took it to the range and had 3 FTE's on the first 3 mags. I decided to field strip it and clean off as much crud as I could with a few paper towels. After reassembly, it was flawless for the next 79 rounds!

Well I took it back to range dirty (after shooting 100 rounds of ammo the previous week) to see if I could replicate the FTE's. To make a long story short is that it happened again. This time I stripped, cleaned and lubed it, then ran 100 rounds through it with zero problems. I think the PF-9 is a great gun for the $$$, but its not like my S&W 910 that has had 800+ rounds though it w/o a cleaning and without a single FTE or FTF!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-tec PF-9...what a sweet little CCW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!