Any Word on New Glocks

PDA

giggitygiggity
January 16, 2010, 09:32 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the new Glocks with the adjustable backstraps and what not? Is this true or merely a rumor? Does anyone have pictures? I am interested in a G21sf. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Word on New Glocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RetDep310
January 16, 2010, 10:18 PM
It's true, the 4th generation gun is real, just not sure if they are on the market yet. Talked to one of the local PD brass, their department is interested in trading for them, and I believe he actually saw one. I believe for right now, they are only available in the Model 22, 40S&W. The new Glock annual has the write-up.

solvability
January 16, 2010, 10:22 PM
I hear they use polymer frames.

highorder
January 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
I had a G22gen4 in my hands yesterday.

Without any backstraps installed, the frame is considerably smaller than a gen3 G22. The hump is still there for no good reason, but the improvements to grip volume and texture are nice. With the largest backstrap installed, the grip is equal to the G21 in size.

REAPER4206969
January 16, 2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=492646

Sapper771
January 17, 2010, 12:15 AM
I went back and looked at the one they had at my local dealer. I was about to buy it , but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that the improvements they made weren't enough to motivate me to buy it.

IMO, the back strap design isn't that great. If they would have made it to where the back straps could be changde to alter the grip profile(arched/flat), instead of the grip size, it would have been better. The guys that like the glock grip could have it , and the guys that like the flat back strap could have that too.
The grip texture is nice, but I think I prefer the RTF2 texture over the RTF3.

oasis618
January 17, 2010, 12:32 AM
I think the most important update Glock needs to make is to their website. What's it been, 10 years? ;)

Double Naught Spy
January 17, 2010, 06:41 AM
Saw one at the DFW Gunshow this weekend. $489.

SnakeLogan
January 17, 2010, 11:24 AM
If it aint broke, don't fix it! Why is Glock messing up with the Gen 3 design? The Gen 3 design is perfect IMO.

January 17, 2010, 11:51 AM
If it aint broke, don't fix it! Why is Glock messing up with the Gen 3 design?
They're not messing up anything. Gen 3 will still be made.
The Gen 3 design is perfect IMO.
I bet a lot of folks would disagree with you.:)

possum
January 17, 2010, 01:08 PM
it is true. i really think that they need to make a small sized single stack 9mm and .40 handguns like the 36 but in the other calibers of course. maybe they would give kahr a run for thier money.

SnakeLogan
January 17, 2010, 01:58 PM
They're not messing up anything. Gen 3 will still be made.

Link?

Kingofthehill
January 17, 2010, 02:43 PM
They screwed the pooch on this one to anyone other than glock followers and total newbies that get glocks because they are "Glocks".

Whats the #1 complaint against glocks? Grip angle. This interchangeable back strap design on their new generation could have taken that argument out of any glock haters mouth. But no, they didn't change the grip back straps enough to get rid of that weird hump and angle.

They had a perfect opportunity and they missed it. Too bad IMO...

They tried to get in on the back strap market and failed if you ask me.. the only positive out of this is the recoil spring. IF that works as advertised. And supposedly it doesn't interchange with previous models which is a huve oversight.

The only positive i see is that the glock fan boys and PD's will be upgrading and hopefully the 3rd gens get cheaper :)

REAPER4206969
January 17, 2010, 07:32 PM
Link?
http://lsandwick.com/images/glockGen4.jpg

REAPER4206969
January 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
Whats the #1 complaint against glocks? Grip angle. This interchangeable back strap design on their new generation could have taken that argument out of any glock haters mouth. But no, they didn't change the grip back straps enough to get rid of that weird hump and angle.
The only people that whine about the grip angle are a small amount of Americans. Also, you can not alter the grip angle without a major redesign of the barrel/breech face/extractor/magazine.
The only positive i see is that the glock fan boys and PD's will be upgrading and hopefully the 3rd gens get cheaper
The 1st/2nd gens did not get cheaper when the GEN 3 came out and it won't happen this time either. Most true Glock fan boys don't like the GEN4 anyway.

REAPER4206969
January 17, 2010, 07:42 PM
i really think that they need to make a small sized single stack 9mm and .40 handguns like the 36 but in the other calibers of course.
They would not be importable. Also, the 36 is Glock's worst selling pistol. There is no global market for such guns.

distra
January 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
If it aint broke, don't fix it! Why is Glock messing up with the Gen 3 design?

Two pistols, M&P and XD. These two have pushed "Glock perfection" to compete. Don't get me wrong I'm huge Glock fan, but I really like my M&P's as well. Competition is good to drive innovation in any market. I think it's good for us the consumer that Glock has decided to match these two pistol's features. Now if they just made a thin single stack 9mm...:D

nipprdog
January 17, 2010, 07:47 PM
Whats the #1 complaint against glocks? Grip angle.

:rolleyes:

Old Guy
January 17, 2010, 08:04 PM
Two pistols, M&P and XD. These two have pushed "Glock perfection" to compete. Don't get me wrong I'm huge Glock fan, but I really like my M&P's as well. Competition is good to drive innovation in any market. I think it's good for us the consumer that Glock has decided to match these two pistol's features. Now if they just made a thin single stack 9mm...:D
Distra

I met Gaston Glock in Toronto Ontario in 1984, at the Royal York Hotel.

Pointed out to him that a slim 9mm 10 shot capacity pistol, would sell like wildfire.

And the grip was too slippery (1984!!!?) That worked, right?

Kingofthehill
January 17, 2010, 08:10 PM
Nipprdog- Since im so wrong, enlighten us.

What is the common complain against the glock from glock haters? and even some glock fans?

Grip angle.

JOe

REAPER4206969
January 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
Glock is a global small arms company. They do not care what you think of their grip angle. Most Glock owners/users love the Glock the way it is.

Kingofthehill
January 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
Odd, im a Glock Owner/User and hate hate the grip angle.

Hmm... Thanks for speaking for Everybody there Reaper

REAPER4206969
January 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for speaking for Everybody there Reaper
You're welcome!

Double Naught Spy
January 17, 2010, 08:53 PM
Most Glock owners/users love the Glock the way it is.

Naw, most just accept what they are given and don't question it. Some don't want options because they can't make the appropriate decisions and so they want somebody else to make those decisions for them. However, based on the industry for accessories for Glocks, there are a LOT of people that like changing what they can in order to make their Glocks more suitable to their tastes.

Grip angle is a common complaint. Grip texture is another. So is a lack of a safety, which depending on your view is a benefit or detraction of the Glock. Whether or not mags drop-free is an issue.

The notion of Glock "perfection" seems quite variable and not universal.

Kingofthehill
January 17, 2010, 09:04 PM
I haven't held the new 4th gen but i hope the texture is less than the RTF version. I could not even imagine IWB of the RTF. Looks like it would turn your skin into hamburger. But it was VERY nice to shoot for a range/competition gun.

JOe

NG VI
January 17, 2010, 09:44 PM
I don't mind or notice the grip angle "issue", I just think that the hump is perfect on the subcompacts, and could use some altering on the compacts. I think if they were slightly shorter front to back and the hump was altered so that it always ended up nice and tight like the placement of the subcompacts (which I love, I don't use magazine extensions on them either, except GAP plates) they would fit my hands much better.

BlayGlock
January 17, 2010, 11:15 PM
They do not care what you think of their grip angle. Most Glock owners/users love the Glock the way it is

I think I would agree with this as a general statement. Of all the Glock owners I know personally (several), I just really never hear them complaining about the grip or the "hump." The hump actually fits my hands fine, maybe my hands are German/Austrian?

NinjaFeint
January 18, 2010, 09:56 AM
Odd, im a Glock Owner/User and hate hate the grip angle.

Hmm... Thanks for speaking for Everybody there Reaper
Seems kind of silly you would use them then. I would also think that most Glock owners are fine with the grip angle. It just doesn't seem logical all these people would keep buying a gun if they "hate hate" the part they have to hold it by.

Kingofthehill
January 18, 2010, 10:23 AM
Seems kind of silly you would use them then. I would also think that most Glock owners are fine with the grip angle. It just doesn't seem logical all these people would keep buying a gun if they "hate hate" the part they have to hold it by.

I use and own a ton of guns. I happen to come across great deals on glocks from time to time and i jump on them.. usually for a decent profit.

My current glock is the 23c. The shorter glocks I don't notice the grip angle or bump as much as the larger models. For me that makes them worth owning.

JOe

SnakeLogan
January 18, 2010, 10:31 AM
http://lsandwick.com/images/glockGen4.jpg

Thanks, Reaper.

My only concern is, how much longer are the Gen 3s going to remain in production? I can't imagine more than a year.

REAPER4206969
January 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
GEN 3 will remain in production indefinitely.

Old Guy
January 18, 2010, 09:27 PM
I haven't held the new 4th gen but i hope the texture is less than the RTF version. I could not even imagine IWB of the RTF. Looks like it would turn your skin into hamburger. But it was VERY nice to shoot for a range/competition gun.

JOe
JOe,

I own the RTF 9mm Glock 19, had to use a fine file to make it perfect, BUT, you can not wear it concealed, your clothes catch on it, but for my IDPA gun, perfect.

I dry fired when I changed from Colt .45, to Glock 17 in 1984. Over and over, and over!

When I draw and punch the G19 out, sights are dead on, perfect alignment, right from under my cover garment.

I held the Gen4 Model22, for a while, perfect!! Tight enough to grip, smooth enough to wear. Looks like when the Gen4 Glock 19 comes out, must get one! The G17 is out now.

StarDust1
January 19, 2010, 12:04 AM
Naw, most just accept what they are given and don't question it. Some don't want options because they can't make the appropriate decisions and so they want somebody else to make those decisions for them. However, based on the industry for accessories for Glocks, there are a LOT of people that like changing what they can in order to make their Glocks more suitable to their tastes.

Grip angle is a common complaint. Grip texture is another. So is a lack of a safety, which depending on your view is a benefit or detraction of the Glock. Whether or not mags drop-free is an issue.

The notion of Glock "perfection" seems quite variable and not universal.
Glocks don't lack a safety, certain shooters lack the discipline to keep their fingers where they belong, police carried revolvers for decades with virtually the identical method of activation in place, if the trigger thing is a problem for you, then you're carrying the wrong pistol!

Most people like the Glock just the way it is, those who are prone to modify them are largely the same crew that are easily convinced by gun publications that every gun must be a custom effort to be of any value, which is of course ridiculous, indeed, the only people I've ever encountered that insist on these, or any "modifications" to the Glock, are those that simply don't like the pistol, period!

Onesiphorus
January 19, 2010, 12:58 AM
When they hit the stores , buy a Gen 3 at a good price.

Boats
January 19, 2010, 01:14 AM
Glocks don't lack a safety, certain shooters lack the discipline to keep their fingers where they belong, police carried revolvers for decades with virtually the identical method of activation in place, if the trigger thing is a problem for you, then you're carrying the wrong pistol!

Most people like the Glock just the way it is, those who are prone to modify them are largely the same crew that are easily convinced by gun publications that every gun must be a custom effort to be of any value, which is of course ridiculous, indeed, the only people I've ever encountered that insist on these, or any "modifications" to the Glock, are those that simply don't like the pistol, period!

A standard Glock with a 5.5 lb trigger pull and a long stroke DA revolver with a 10-12 lb pull have next to nothing in common.

Not every possible shooter out there could possibly enjoy various Glock "features" such as the "hump," the finger bumpers, the grip angle, and the mag release, all of which have come in for valid criticism about the way Glock has gone about its design.

People on the whole are not clones of the folks who find the Gen 3 Glocks "perfect." Glocks present hurdles to user friendliness that many shooters do not appreciate, some of whom have little or no choice in the matter of which pistol they use, having them issued to them on the job.

StrikeFire83
January 19, 2010, 02:13 AM
Yes, I agree that debates about humps, grip angles, and the lack of a safety are pretty stupid.

I go back and forth between my Glock 17 and CZ-75 at will at the range and don't have any problems adjusting to bumps or angles. Glocks seem to ride a bit lower in my hand, and I change the way I aim, and the shots go right where I want them to.

If you want a pistol with a different grip angle or a manual safety, then buy a pistol with a different grip angle and a manual safety.

If you want a Glock, then buy a Glock. There are plenty of great platforms out there right now, and if you don't like something then don't shoot it. I personally think 1911s are ****, but for other people they're great. They shoot the gun they want and so do I.

Buy and shoot what you like.

bds
January 19, 2010, 03:02 AM
I have been a long time fan of Glocks, but will ADMIT they have issues that Glock has addressed over time - Bad non-dropfree mags to Gen 3 dropfree mags, loose tolerances getting tighter, better captured recoil spring set (remember the loose coiled springs?), less supported chambers to better supported chambers on newer models, etc.

Whether we agree with the changes (I personally do not like the RTF for bare hands but someone who wears gloves will love the RTF and the 45 GAP, etc.), what's important is that we have ANOTHER gun manufacturer choice for us shooters who is trying out different innovations to IMPROVE gun choices for us.

And I think competition is good, period - and the improvements XD and M&P made over the Glocks will simply force Glock to make better pistols - What's wrong with that?

As to adjustable backstrap, it provides more grip options.

Looking at the Gen4 G22 pictures, I like the Triple-spring? setup and the adjustable backstraps: (Due to the larger captured spring set, new slide won't be interchangeable with Gen3 G22 frame)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/25/glock-gen4-unveiled/

"So just to summarize all the point about the Glock Gen4 ..."

* Initially Glock 17 (9mm) and Glock 22 (.40 S&W) will be available. Compact models will follow later in 2010.
* Features dual (triple I think?) recoil spring.
* Features Swappable backstraps.
* Magazine release swappable between left and right.
* Old magazines still work, but only when mag release is on left side.
* Gen4 slide is clearly marked as "Gen4".
* Retail price for G17 and G22 Gen4 is about $700 (actual prices will be lower than this).
* Glock will cease sales of the 3rd Generation and RTF models.

And if this poster is correct from thefirearmblog link, Gen5 Glocks with external hammer and inertia powered recoil management will be very interesting indeed: (I had Haarts Mercury Filled delayed recoil reducer spring set in one of my modified 1911s to improve recoil and maybe Glock is going to liquid filled recoil spring set or system similar to recoil system found in some shotguns?).

glock expert on 31 Dec 2009 at 1:54 pm link comment

Well I can tell you all this fellows. I have been working for Glock for over 26 years now and a lot the input we get off these forums is the blueprint for which we design our guns to. Don’t be to surprised when in the near future gen 5 comes out you will see some radical changes, we have incorporated some very cool stuff. Gen 5 will introduce the very first Glock with external hammer, interchangeable front and rear sights, quick release magazines, and my fav: inertia powered recoil management.
More to cum fellows, stay tuned.
GG Glock expert

http://thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=6984851

SnakeLogan
January 19, 2010, 10:47 AM
Gen 5 will introduce the very first Glock with external hammer

[Darth Vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/Darth Vader]

bds
January 19, 2010, 12:50 PM
[Darth Vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/Darth Vader]

I don't think they will SWITCH the entire line to external hammer. I think they may introduce SOME models with external hammer.

Like Sig/S&W/Taurus, maybe Glock is considering selling 1911 models? :what:

That would be a cool idea and finally all of us Glock/1911 crowds can be friends again. :D

bds
January 20, 2010, 11:21 PM
Not every possible shooter out there could possibly enjoy various Glock "features" such as the "hump," the finger bumpers, the grip angle, and the mag release, all of which have come in for valid criticism about the way Glock has gone about its design.

I started out shooting a full size single stack 1911 and found the grip size, grip angle, mag release and trigger very natural with natural point of aim. Try pointing your handgun at a door knob without looking at the sights and see if they "naturally" line up.

Switching to Glocks made me "adapt" to them. My first response to Glock grip/trigger/mag/slide release was "Ugh, I got some work to do". Over the past several decades, Glocks have proven themselves to be very reliable "combat" shooters. I have found that Glocks are quite accurate and shoot better under panic/stress than any other guns I tested during our range panic/stress shooting sessions. But they are not the most accurate or the best ergonomic handguns on the market currently because many manufacturers have since released many improved models.

The Glock vs XD vs M&P competition will just improve the whole industry just like racing has improved the car industry as a whole. I think Glock trying to improve upon Gen3 models on Gen4 is a healthy thing and look forward to improvements Glock will make on future models. Of course, I hope other manufacturer don't sit idle and continue to improve their models too.

Never know, in another 10 years, we may be shooting Glocks with naturally pointing ergonomic grips with smooth trigger and ergonomic slide/mag release - I can't wait.

StarDust1
January 20, 2010, 11:40 PM
:rolleyes: "Ahh" how old are you?
The only people who complain of safety devices and Glocks in the same sentence, are those with very poor shooting habits, or very little practical shooting experience, if you had any understanding of the mechanics invloved you'd understand how silly you just came across as, particularly as you preceded your comments with an attempt at a personal attack, then tried to equate safety with trigger pull resistance, which is not only wrong, but ridiculous....I'm sorry that the truth is such an elusive concept for you, but your ignorance is actually rather profound, you keep your finger off of the trigger of a gun unless you intend to fire it, when you claim that 5.5 lbs of pull is unsafe you're essentially saying that you cannot discipline yourself to the extent of being able to control the mechanism...
Thus, you've no business placing your hands on any firearm whatsoever!;)

falnovice
January 21, 2010, 12:20 AM
StarDust1,
Applied safeties are largely a liability issue. Say your a LEO. If you draw your pistol and a button gets caught in the trigger guard, causing the weapon to discharge, then someone has to be responsible....especially if someone gets hurt. IF the weapon has a manually applied safety then YOU are at fault for disengaging it. If no applied safety then what? Design defect? Not according to the companies! They say "Train your people!" So now, if this involved an officer, the city is liable.....which the city and it's insurance carrier have no interest in. As far as some policy makers are concerned there always has to be an "out" for the city....and that will always mean more and more personal liability on the shoulders of the individual LEOs.
So.....there is a movement to have LEOs armed only with pistols that have Manually applied safeties....think of it as the progression of all of these agencies that have for years required DAO duty guns.

That said, for accidental discharge, there is a big difference between a trigger pull that the guns' own weight can discharge, and a 10# double action revolver which can be twirlled like, well, a sixgun. (DON"T EVER DO THIS!!! IT IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS.)

REAPER4206969
January 21, 2010, 01:31 AM
BS...

StarDust1
January 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
StarDust1,
Applied safeties are largely a liability issue. Say your a LEO. If you draw your pistol and a button gets caught in the trigger guard, causing the weapon to discharge, then someone has to be responsible....especially if someone gets hurt. IF the weapon has a manually applied safety then YOU are at fault for disengaging it. If no applied safety then what? Design defect? Not according to the companies! They say "Train your people!" So now, if this involved an officer, the city is liable.....which the city and it's insurance carrier have no interest in. As far as some policy makers are concerned there always has to be an "out" for the city....and that will always mean more and more personal liability on the shoulders of the individual LEOs.
So.....there is a movement to have LEOs armed only with pistols that have Manually applied safeties....think of it as the progression of all of these agencies that have for years required DAO duty guns.

That said, for accidental discharge, there is a big difference between a trigger pull that the guns' own weight can discharge, and a 10# double action revolver which can be twirlled like, well, a sixgun. (DON"T EVER DO THIS!!! IT IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS.)
The thing is, Glock has already addressed this tendency of poorly trained operators, who suffer brain disconect whilst in the act of drawing, or holstering the firearm, and unintentionally discharging the mechanism.
What the real issue is, are people who are so lazy & undisciplined that they insist on placing their little fingers somewhere they don't belong, or before they belong there!
For such minded individuals, Glock(in cooperation with NY-LE)developed two other trigger modules, NY1 & NY2 which are "literally" identical to the pull on a service grade DA revolver....
Further, if the Glock doesn't fit the human hand in question(rare, but possible)then they should not be carrying, or issued one under any circumstances!(I have no issues with the new frame & it's inserts)

HexHead
January 21, 2010, 10:43 AM
GEN 3 will remain in production indefinitely.
Nonsense. Did they keep the Gen 2?

Art Eatman
January 21, 2010, 11:21 AM
Keep the arrogance, snark and insults off the keyboard...

bds
January 21, 2010, 11:55 AM
I thought this thread was about the Gen4 Glocks ....:uhoh: Any Word on New Glocks

REAPER4206969
January 22, 2010, 02:54 AM

REAPER4206969
January 22, 2010, 03:02 AM
Nonsense. Did they keep the Gen 2?
The GEN 2 was not functionally different from the GEN 3. If Glock stops production of the GEN 3 they will not have spare parts for the millions of GEN 1/2/3 Glock's currently in service. Also, the GEN 4 will not be able to be sold in California due to not having a magazine disconnect. Only the GEN 3 is approved for sale.

bds
January 22, 2010, 03:57 PM
Gen4 has larger captured spring set and different slide/frame than Gen3 and thus not interchangeable (in contrast, you can put Gen3 slide on older Gen2/Gen1).

Glock will have to provide spare parts for Gen3/Gen2/Gen1 going forward with Gen4. Not sure how this will play out as it looks like Gen3 will be phased out.

It may be smart marketing ploy by Glock to force LE/consumers to replace Gen3 with Gen4 models as they have a very large customer base who already own Glocks.

the GEN 4 will not be able to be sold in California due to not having a magazine disconnect. Only the GEN 3 is approved for sale.

I am sure Glock will make sure Gen4 will be sold in California - in time.

REAPER4206969
January 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
I am sure Glock will make sure Gen4 will be sold in California - in time. Without a mag disconnect the GEN 4 can not be sold in CA.
Not sure how this will play out as it looks like Gen3 will be phased out.
Where are you getting your information?

Enachos
January 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
To me the "hump" doesn't bother me whatsoever. And I agree that it feels even better on the subcompact models. I hate saying things like this because there are a lot of other great handguns out there like the xd and the M&P but to me the glock really is perfect for me. I'm actually apprehensive about buying anything else because Glock has treated me well.

Does anyone know if the recoil springs for the 4th gen. models will be interchangeable with the gen 3's?

REAPER4206969
January 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know if the recoil springs for the 4th gen. models will be interchangeable with the gen 3's?
No...

bds
January 22, 2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
No...

Look at some of Gen3 and Gen4 pictures side by side.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/25/glock-gen4-unveiled/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/glock_22_gen_4-tfb.jpg
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/18069_214510066588_147550831588_3258893_1148475_n_1-tfb.jpg

Sapper771
January 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
The guide rod on the gen4 is too wide to be used in the Gen 1-3 glocks.

We did take the slide off of a Gen 3 Glock 34 and put it on a gen4 Glock 17. It worked well. There is just a larger gap between the nose of the slide and the nose of the frame. The reverse will not work.

Old Guy
January 23, 2010, 01:13 PM
The best pistol for me is the Glock 19, for the shooting sports (IDPA mostly) and to carry.

My hands do not sweat, ever! Need a couple of strips of Skate board tape, that is Mod#1 For sport, extended slide release, Glock manufactured, Mod#2, the best sights made for pistols IMHO TruGlow, fiber optics, Mod#3 Butt plug, for more positive magazine change, gives a .5 of an inch more strike surface, that was the last Mod,#4. Always the factory trigger, 2K. And trim the wee bars off the trigger safety piece.

You need to strip the frame to do this, ask a Glock Armorer.

The best group of Mods; comprise the Gen4, they have listened, I think some one with real power is now at the helm, the things we (INTERNET commandos) have asked for, for years, has come to pass.

The new spring system, great, reduces felt recoil, the reversible, bigger, and better shaped Mag; release the feel of the grip, perfect.

Model 17 Gen4 first, then the Mod 19 Gen4, I will wait for that (Don't these people know I am not rich?)

bds
January 24, 2010, 08:15 PM
FWIW, you can mod a Gen3 Glock to include dual spring setup using Glock parts or aftermarket. I guess you can even shave the grip hump too.

If you are happy with Gen2/Gen3 Glocks and they shoot well, then no need for Gen4 upgrade.

But, then again, I haven't shot a Gen4 yet. :rolleyes:

Old Guy
February 19, 2010, 10:23 AM
BDS

Shot one, last Glock match in Orlando (worked a plate rack as RO till 1PM) much reduced felt recoil, felt good in hand, liked the magazine release.

Am waiting for the G19, June?

Mike.

Keep Safe.

bds
February 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
For California, we may have to wait longer than everyone else ... :mad:

The range staff (the range is an authorized Glock dealer/service) said yesterday they haven't gotten any word when Gen4 Glocks will be stocked.

One thing for sure, especially with many Law Enforcement agencies/departments rotating out Gen3 Glocks to Gen4, there will be more Gen1/Gen2/Gen3 used Glocks showing up on the market.

RP88
February 19, 2010, 01:28 PM
this kind of hurts my feelings. I only had my Gen3 17 for not even a year and then gen4 comes out.

I'm seriously contemplating a Gen4, but that means coming up with the difference

REAPER4206969
February 19, 2010, 04:08 PM
I strongly recommend staying with the GEN3.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=501003

Full Metal Jacket
February 19, 2010, 04:36 PM
i'll be sticking with my 3rd gen g19, thanks. i bought my glock19 rtf2 about a month before the gen4's came out. i assumed they were something i wouldn't want. i was right of course:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0618.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0619.jpg

bds
February 19, 2010, 04:41 PM
The Gen4 Glocks have stiffer captured multi-recoil spring set then Gen3 captured single spring set ...

I have not shot one yet, and probably won't be able to shoot one anytime soon (unless I take a quick trip to Las Vegas :D).

Maybe by the time they make it out to California, Glock may recall the new spring set?

SideArmed
February 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
i'll be sticking with my 3rd gen g19, thanks. i bought my glock19 rtf2 about a month before the gen4's came out. i assumed they were something i wouldn't want. i was right of course:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0618.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0619.jpg
Is that yours? What happened?

Full Metal Jacket
February 19, 2010, 05:04 PM
^^^no my friend, that's not mine (i won't be buying one of the gen4 epic failures).

the g17 gen4 is having feeding and ejection probs. glock used the same recoil assembly in both the 40cal and 9mm 4thgens, and apparently it's too strong to work reliably with standard pressure 9mm ammo.

however, there seems to be another issue. these 2 different types of malfunctions point to something more than just a recoil assembly problems--there seems to be something inherently wrong with the design.

this is the thread on ar15.com where these pics came from: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=90264&page=3

glock will prob either discontinue it, or modify it. glock likes to use it's customers as new product testers....

SideArmed
February 19, 2010, 05:12 PM
^^^no my friend, that's not mine (i won't be buying one of the gen4 epic failures).

the g17 gen4 is having feeding and ejection probs. glock used the same recoil assembly in both the 40cal and 9mm 4thgens, and apparently it's too strong to work reliably with standard pressure 9mm ammo.

however, there seems to be another issue. these 2 different types of malfunctions point to something more than just a recoil assembly problems--there seems to be something inherently wrong with the design.

this is the thread on ar15.com where these pics came from: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=90264&page=3

glock will prob either discontinue it, or modify it. glock likes to use it's customers as new product testers....
I wouldn't extend to call you gullible, but that picture you post to all with no context whatsoever to where we assume its your own... is funny to me.

A picture to document "a Glock Jamming"....is out to prove something obviously

I take the picture with a grain of salt. You can keep posting it to justify your Gen 3 purchase and show how the 4's are the biggest failure ever.

We will never know anything about these weapons until they are out in the market being used

Full Metal Jacket
February 19, 2010, 05:16 PM
^^^what are you talking about, dude???

i did post those pictures with several sentences of context.

...and i don't need to justify my g19 gen3 purchase, i love that gun.

there are pics of gen4 failures all over glocktalk and ar15.com. take this info for what it's worth to you.

i have other reasons as well for not liking the gen4's. things i noticed when handling them at the local funshop.

SideArmed
February 19, 2010, 05:22 PM
^^^what are you talking about, dude???

i did post those pictures with several sentences of context.

...and i don't need to justify my g19 gen3 purchase, i love that gun.

there are pics of gen4 failures all over glocktalk and ar15.com. take this info for what it's worth to you.

i have other reasons as well for not liking the gen4's. things i noticed when handling them at the local funshop.
You can show me several sentences with your post #62 there buddy.

Yeah yeah yadda yadda... I can hardley find a single Generation 4 picture on the internet but the only one to be found is this ubiquitous picture of one jamming. Suddenly they are all crap or as you put it "something inherently wrong with the design"

Care to post any more of these pics of a different gen 4?

Open you eyes young one

PT1911
February 19, 2010, 05:27 PM
I like em.. with the largest grip attachment.... actually makes it point better for me... Granted... I havent shot one, but fondling it, I am impressed overall which is saying a lot considering it is a Glock... I am typically not a fan.

SideArmed
February 19, 2010, 05:32 PM
Does anyone else think its funny the only picture you can find of an actual person handling a Generation 4 Glock is the famous jammed picture??

I just searched Google...

Honestly I would say take it with a grain of salt, or someone is out to prove something about Glock 4th gen reliability knowing the entire gun following population is eager to know about them and will probably eat up any feedback that comes there way. I had no idea that single picture has been posted so many times...

bds
February 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
Here's one review: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2010/01/19/gen-4-glock-review-evolution-not-revolution/

Videos of Gen4 shooting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9ggilsR6gk&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1xLbsH4FR4&feature=related

Shooting

The Gen 4 model 22 Glock shot just like any other Glock. It was reasonably accurate, easy to shoot and was 100% reliable. Unlike the pistols of other manufacturers, the Glocks were covered in dirt from impromptu torture testing by various gunwriters. Even so, the Gen 4 Glock performed like a champ.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/glock_gen4_01a.jpg http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/glock_gen4_02a.jpg

Full Metal Jacket
February 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
You can show me several sentences with your post #62 there buddy.

Yeah yeah yadda yadda... I can hardley find a single Generation 4 picture on the internet but the only one to be found is this ubiquitous picture of one jamming. Suddenly they are all crap or as you put it "something inherently wrong with the design"

Care to post any more of these pics of a different gen 4?

Open you eyes young one

did you go onto glocktalk or ar15.com (where i provided a link, by the way)?

i've given you the references, and because you can't find them with a google search, you think there's only one pic? are you new to the internet, or something?

i also mentioned i have other reasons for not liking the gen4's that i've handled, and you also took a sarcastic approach to that. could you be any more rude? i have my personal preferences for not liking the gen4's, whether you like it or not.

you won't find me acting sarcastic & rude to fellow members because of their personal opinions of a firearm.

hirundo82
February 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
glock likes to use it's customers as new product testers....

So do Ruger, Sig-Sauer, Remington...

REAPER4206969
February 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
Does anyone else think its funny the only picture you can find of an actual person handling a Generation 4 Glock is the famous jammed picture??
What are you talking about? The GEN4 has been out for months.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/glock_ameriglo.html

Full Metal Jacket
February 19, 2010, 08:39 PM
i think the world wide web is a new fangled thing to sidearmed....

ol' scratch
February 19, 2010, 10:02 PM
I was in the gun shop today and someone was looking at a Gen 4. It fell apart in his hands :neener:. The last thing I heard on my way out the door was one of the guys behind the counter call to someone else because he didn't want to file paper work on the broken pistol.

wally
February 19, 2010, 10:09 PM
With the largest backstrap installed, the grip is equal to the G21 in size

Good Gawd Man! is that supposed to be a feature?

--wally.

Sapper771
February 19, 2010, 11:03 PM
If it comes down to an actual problem with the recoil spring assembly in the gen 4 glock 17's, that's an easy fix.

I have yet to have any problems with my Gen4 G17.

greenlion
February 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
When a company becomes as successful as GLOCK everyone expects them to cater to their personal whims. I think GLOCK is doing a pretty good job trying to make a pistol that fits everyone, has less recoil, is more reliable, has an easier to access mag release, and a more positive grip surface. I handled one of the new Gen 4's this week and talked to two people who had shot it at the local indoor range. They reported that the .40 had less recoil than the 3rd gens, that the texturing was not too abrasive like the RTF2, but was more positive than the older grenade checkering on their old G22, and that the new mag release was easier to get to. I don't see why these new improvements are getting everyones panties in a wad.

Glock has been losing much of the market to Springfield XD and S&W M&Ps. Mainly due to new features like smaller grips and adjustable backstraps. You guys seem to think GLOCK should not try to offer what the market is asking for and win back some of those lost sales. They are in this to MAKE SOME MONEY you know....

RP88
February 20, 2010, 12:03 AM
...still thinking on a Gen4.

Any recoil spring problem is an easy fix. I'd imagine that would mainly affect handloaders more than anything.

harmon rabb
February 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
i bought a gen 3 g27, knowing the gen 4's are being rolled out, because of the proven design. for a carry gun, i can't say i want something newfangled. i want something proven.

i'd consider a full size gen 4 though.

Sapper771
February 20, 2010, 11:10 AM
I think I might try something when I get some 9mm bullets in.
If the problem is with the recoil spring assembly being too strong, then it should show up pretty obviously with under powered ammo. I may attempt to under charge some 9mm reloads in an attempt to get the gun to replicate the famous "jammed Gen4 glock" picture that keeps appearing.
The only ammo that I have fired through mine so far is WWB 115gr 9mm value stuff . It is not the stoutest stuff out there, but it chronos at 1150-1180fps out of my Gen4 G17.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Word on New Glocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!