Arkansas Hunter, 1901

PDA

eye5600
January 18, 2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7460?size=_original

Love the moon shine still!

I'm love to hear what anyone can deduce or identify in this photo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arkansas Hunter, 1901" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joshk-k
January 18, 2010, 11:02 AM
I think it's a fake. Something about the dead animal's head and face seems unreal, and that watering can is certainly not a still. Also, who would advertise their still like that?

I could be wrong, though. Fun pic, either way.

Josh

eye5600
January 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
Given the source, and also the format of the picture, you can be sure that it's old. That doesn't mean it wasn't faked up way back when, of course.

I agree that the writing on the watering can and on the cabin do look like they were applied for tourists.

Loyalist Dave
January 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
It's a tourist gag photo for sure. Look at where the antlers connect to the head, and you can clearly see where the wooden dowels connect the antler butts to the skull of what is a fake animal.

LD

R.W.Dale
January 18, 2010, 01:28 PM
more photoshop please

the arkansaw sign and mune shine bucket have shadows going the opposite direction from everything else in frame. Second do you really expect anyone who knows the alphabet to misspell "moon". Third elk were extinct in arkansas long before 1901, fourth those are very well manicured nails for an old hillbilly

fourth the pic just looks digital to me with very crip definition across a wide focal range

EDIT: Tourist studio photo
http://www.shorpy.com/files/HappyHollow2_f.jpg

janobles14
January 18, 2010, 01:37 PM
bit high res for the time period as well! didnt think they had digital back then. :)

eye5600
January 18, 2010, 01:38 PM
krochus, I think you don't make allowance for either the technology or the taste and talent for bunkum in past ages. If you look at the photos on the shorpy site, you will soon see that very large B&W negatives gave wonderful detail. Depth of field is mostly a function of aperture, and therefore of exposure time.

The sun is behind the camera. The shadow of the handle of the watering can falling on the log is pretty consistent with the shadows of the trees on the hillside. If the picture is a fake, the elk may well be stuffed.

eye5600
January 18, 2010, 01:41 PM
By the way, if you scroll down, there are comments on the same page, including:

Had to look twice to realize that this was one of those prop scenes built so that tourist dollars could be captured in Hot Springs National Park.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arkansas Hunter, 1901" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!