Rossi Circuit Court Judge (merged threads)

PDA

NewShooter
January 18, 2010, 07:59 PM
Theres a very brief write up on Shooting Times about a new gun that shoots 410 or 45lc coming out from Rossi. Its like the Taurus Judge but a long gun. I'm not sure if you would call it a rifle or a shotgun. It appears to have a revolving cyclinder. Not sure if its double or single action.
Does anyone have more info???

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_shotshow2010day1_011910WO/index1.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi Circuit Court Judge (merged threads)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
January 18, 2010, 08:06 PM
Not sure if i ever got the 410/45 pistol thing and 410 lever guns have been around. Nice looking though.

Officers'Wife
January 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hmm, I'm told in the bad old days that Remington made a 'revolving' 28 gauge muzzle loading shotgun (long arm) based on the revolver action. Maybe this is just a modernization of that concept?

thunder173
January 18, 2010, 09:04 PM
Could be an interesting concept if the 45 LC exhibits any degree of accuracy at any distance. Be nice to get some real range reports.

BillyBothHands
January 18, 2010, 10:12 PM
Colt made a revolving shotgun long ago and maybe others that i don't recal. There is a russian company that makes them up to 12gauge but they start at like 10K+ I forget their name.

I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat just cause lol. I am curious about how they are dealing with the blast from the cylinder gap. It could be a safety issue for a lot of people that aren't aware, but I would assume they've found a way around that. Maybe we will get more pictures soon!

I'm gonna keep an eye on Michael Bane if he gets his hands on one I'm sure he'll let us know all about it lol

NewShooter
January 19, 2010, 09:01 AM
I think there was a revolving rifle around 1860. Here is a reproduction of it.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_186_191&products_id=1000

eye5600
January 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
Whatever will they think of next?

I'm a bit confused on the corporate structure. Is this gun from the part of Rossi owned by Taurus? If not, the use of the word Judge in the name could raise some dander in the Taurus world.

Kurt S.
January 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm a bit confused on the corporate structure. Is this gun from the part of Rossi owned by Taurus? If not, the use of the word Judge in the name could raise some dander in the Taurus world.
There's a business relationship between Rossi & Taurus.
http://www.rossiusa.com/history.cfm

kludge
January 19, 2010, 04:14 PM
Not just a Circuit Court Judge, but a Raging Judge too, in .454 that will also take .410/.45C.

Zumet
January 19, 2010, 05:40 PM
that wont last long, soon as Taurus gets 'em in court, reference,,"judge,, 45, 410"

eye5600
January 19, 2010, 05:44 PM
What's the market for this gun? HD plus pest control?

Jorg Nysgerrig
January 19, 2010, 05:50 PM
that wont last long, soon as Taurus gets 'em in court, reference,,"judge,, 45, 410"
Did you miss the posts above saying that Rossi and Taurus are closely related?

Not to mention that their websites look damn near exactly the same and the address for Taurus customer service (http://www.taurususa.com/contact.cfm) on 16175 NW 49 Avenue, Miami, FL 33014, seems to near Rossi customer service address (http://www.rossiusa.com/contact.cfm) at 16175 NW 49 Avenue, Miami, FL 33014. Do you think they'll have to walk across the hall to deliver the injunction or just meet up by the water cooler. :)

LibShooter
January 19, 2010, 06:01 PM
Here's a nightmare scenario: You're walking along in the woods with your Rossi Circuit Court Judge. An angry bear steps put from behind the next tree! Raise the weapon, squeeze the trigger and OOPS! There's a load of birdshot in the next chamber! Let's hope it's double action!

Still, I think I want one. Could they use the same principle for a .22LR/.22WMR/.223 with replaceable cylinders? That would be cool.

snorko
January 19, 2010, 06:55 PM
That is the silliest, most useless gun I am now preparing to buy.

eye5600
January 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
That is the silliest, most useless gun I am now preparing to buy.

Not so fast. Gunblast has a picture of a Pony Express revolver carbine. You need to do some comparison shopping.

NinjaFeint
January 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
Not so fast. Gunblast has a picture of a Pony Express revolver carbine. You need to do some comparison shopping.
Speaking of silly, I want the BFR in 30-30. I don't know if I want to shoot it much but I feel I should have it.

MikeJackmin
January 20, 2010, 12:03 PM
[CORRECTION: This is a ROSSI Judge, not a Taurus]

All I know about it is what you see here:

http://www.rossiusa.com/2010newcatalog/?catalog_page=5

Assuming they found some clever way to prevent the cylinder gap from burning your arm, I want one.

I really want one in .357...

This basic approach - assuming it works - could provide the basis of an excellent home defense weapon, too. A smaller, lighter version in 38/357 would offer incredibly simple operation, effective ballistics, light weight, and low recoil in a mechanically obvious platform. It'd be perfect for people who need a gun, but aren't really gun hobbyists.

Birdmang
January 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Im pretty sure there is a thread on this already. Its a cool rifle though.

EdLaver
January 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
I likey!!!!!!!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 20, 2010, 12:21 PM
Not bad, but WHY the long barrel? This of all guns is *screaming* for 16" bbl.

I assume it's rifled, correct?

GREAT wifey/girlfriend home defense arm - very little recoil, and true "no-brainer" operation - just point and pull the trigger, honey. So agreed on that count. Yeah, .357 is ok, but .45 colt is even better! Plus the whole point is to also be able to use .410 shotshells. Gimmicky, yes, but it helps to sell them.

If it's smoothbore, then forget it.

Yeah, maybe there's a small plate you can't see on the left side to deflect cylinder gap blast. Sure looks like a *tight* cylinder gap in the picture!

kanook
January 20, 2010, 12:35 PM
How do you plug it for hunting? According to the law the plug can not be easily removed.

EdLaver
January 20, 2010, 12:43 PM
So if I bought one with the rifled bore could I still shoot birdshot in it or specialty .410 loads like this?

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

kanook
January 20, 2010, 12:46 PM
there's a small plate you can't see on the left side to deflect cylinder gap blastHow you gonna close the cylinder with a plate in the way?

kanook
January 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
So if I bought one with the rifled bore could I still shoot birdshot in it or specialty .410 loads like this?
Yes, tha's what it's designed for

EdLaver
January 20, 2010, 12:49 PM
Yes, tha's what it's designed for

Then whats the point of offering a smooth bore one as well if the .45LC wont be accurate out of it?

kanook
January 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
It's a gimmick. 2 guns in one

MachIVshooter
January 20, 2010, 01:01 PM
I kinda like it, but they need to shorten it to 16" and offer a screw-on choke tube. Otherwise, the shotshells have no more effective range than they do out of the judge pistol.

Ed Ames
January 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
I don't need to plug.

Plugging would be easy if you needed to. A rubber plug with a t-nut on one end, washer on the other, and screw down the middle... put it into a chamber, tighten the screw (forcing the rubber out and locking the plug in the chamber), repeat for as many chambers as need plugging. Unplugging would not be "easy" compared to removing a dowel from a tube mag.

JShirley
January 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
GREAT wifey/girlfriend home defense arm

Great. Could you be a little more sexist?

And I'd like one, incidentally. Because I'm kinda wifey/girlfriendy. :rolleyes:

John

SaMx
January 20, 2010, 01:10 PM
I'd like to see the concept applied to other revolver calibers and larger shotgun gauges, but it's still pretty cool.

pikid89
January 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
i still dont understand the obsession over the use of .410 buckshot for HD when you could be throwing .45 Colt slugs which are way more powerful anyway, you gotta aim either way so why handicap yourself

JShirley
January 20, 2010, 01:14 PM
I used a .45 Colt Winchester for HD for a while, but I don't know that this Rossi will take the powerful GA Arms HPs I used...

Joe Demko
January 20, 2010, 01:20 PM
And I'd like one, incidentally. Because I'm kinda wifey/girlfriendy.

John

So, how you doin'?

pikid89
January 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
doesnt rossi use extruded barrels=softer metal/lesser strength, like cva or traditions rifles

MachIVshooter
January 20, 2010, 01:32 PM

Kinda like Plymouth could've been sued by Dodge over the Neon, right? hahaha

Larry Ashcraft
January 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thread from GGD moved here and merged.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 20, 2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure if you would call it a rifle or a shotgun

I don't either.... is it rifled? If it is, then it's a rifle. If it's smoothbore, then it's a shotgun/musket combo.

Plugging is wholly irrelevant. No one would hunt waterfowl or upland game with it, given the rifling (if it's rifled, as I assume it is), and the caliber. That's not it's niche.

ArmedBear
January 20, 2010, 01:45 PM
That's not it's niche.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, excited to find out what, exactly, its niche IS.:D

MachIVshooter
January 20, 2010, 01:47 PM
Plugging is wholly irrelevant. No one would hunt waterfowl or upland game with it, given the rifling (if it's rifled, as I assume it is), and the caliber. That's not it's niche.

You know someone will. There's always an individual who can't comprehend "right tool for the job".

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/dumbcarowner1.jpg

MikeJackmin
January 20, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, excited to find out what, exactly, its niche IS.

I agree that this gun, in its current form, seems to be more of a novelty than anything else.

However, if this is indeed a practical revolving rifle, than it could be pretty sweet in any of a variety of different calibers/barrel lengths/stock configurations.

Looking closely at the photo, I'm guessing that they have a cup-shaped shield over the front of the cylinder that moves forward out of the way, when the cylinder release is employed. I hope it works, I'd love to see this platform evolve.

revolvergeek
January 20, 2010, 01:58 PM
One of those in .45-70...... :D 20 gauge would work nicely too!

This pic shows the blast shield:
http://www.rossiusa.com/2010newcatalog/?catalog_page=8

MCgunner
January 20, 2010, 01:58 PM
If it ain't got a TC style screw on choke, it's going to be inaccurate with .45 Colt (freebore from hell) and its pattern will be worthless beyond spitting range. I'll take a pass.

Ed Ames
January 20, 2010, 02:22 PM
Will shot from a rifled barrel pattern well enough for rabbit/squirrel out to 35-50 feet?

If so, this could be a reasonable "squirrel to deer" gun in some areas.

JShirley
January 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
The .45 Colt, in a rapidly repeating firearm, would be good for defense, close deer, or hogs. If the Circuit Court Judge is strong enough for modern loads, it could even be useful for bear defense.

eye5600
January 20, 2010, 03:16 PM
i still dont understand the obsession over the use of .410 buckshot for HD when you could be throwing .45 Colt slugs which are way more powerful anyway, you gotta aim either way so why handicap yourself

That, in a nutshell, is the consensus expert view on the whole Judge line.

For any task you might use this for, you can find something that's better. As a rifle, you would be better off with, e.g. a levergun in .357. As a shotgun, you would be better off with ...just about any other shotgun. If it was presented as something new, and the wave of the future, it would be laughable.

It works because there something very appealing about it in a 19th century throwback or retro kind of way, and it will work fine as a short range gun for keeping the crows, woodchucks and raccoons out of the garden. It's plenty potent for HD, and probably easier to aim. Besides, there are more ways to have fun than emptying 30 round magazines.

revolvergeek
January 20, 2010, 04:03 PM
I think that the main charm of this is from a defensive standpoint is that there would very little training required for someone that is comfortable with a conventional revolver. Same load / unload, as opposed to trying to teach some people a safe manual of arms on a pump shotgun or lever action.

That said, I personally like the retro aspect of it and think it might be fun to blast snakes / squirrels / cans with. :D

Joe Demko
January 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
The phrase gets used a lot on gun boards, but this thing genuinely is "the answer to a question that nobody asked." I can't think of a single thing I'd do with it where a conventional handgun or long gun wouldn't be preferable.

fireside44
January 20, 2010, 05:00 PM
I like it already.

Except I already have a pistol/rifle combo in .444 marlin/.44 special.

I wonder what the MSRP will be. If it's reasonable, like most Rossi stuff, I just might have to grab one sometime.

As for the "long" barrel, I prefer the extra length.

The whole thing kind of says "meat rifle" to me. Seems utilitarian.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 20, 2010, 05:36 PM
'GREAT wifey/girlfriend home defense arm'

Great. Could you be a little more sexist?

And I'd like one, incidentally. Because I'm kinda wifey/girlfriendy

Hey I speak the truth, and of course, the vast majority of people know it. Now it IS a generalization, and does not apply to all women of course. But it does apply in MY case and hundred of thousands of cases LIKE mine, where the better half just ain't too all-fired interested in learning the details or handling stout recoil. It's a perfectly apt and valid observation, for MOST people (most couples). YMMV. :) :p

And I'd like one too - not sure if I'm kinda wifey/girlfriendy or not..... :)

If my wife picked out a bedspread without flowers because she and I both know that this neanderthal would prefer it to one that did have flowers, I'd be thankful, and not consider it sexist. Right tool for the job, indeed. :)

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, excited to find out what, exactly, its niche IS.

Well, that depends... do you want it's MARKETING niche, or it's REALITY niche? If the latter, then I doubt there's an answer, other than wifey/girlfriend home defense rifle. If the former, I could tell you, but I think you already have it figured out. "It's just cool" basically, or at least initially strikes you that way, until you stop and think about it. :p

JShirley
January 20, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hey I speak the truth, and of course, the vast majority of people know it

Well, "you know I'm right" is considered definitive by everyone I know. :scrutiny: Lots of males also have little to no experience with firearms, and a carefully selected .45 Colt from a longarm is an excellent HD round...and longarms are much better for HD than handguns. So, yeah, while it would be a 'GREAT wifey/girlfriend home defense arm', the "wifey/girlfriend" part is redundant.

Ed Ames
January 20, 2010, 06:52 PM
I like it already Except I already have a pistol/rifle combo in .444 marlin/.44 special...

I'm in a similar boat except my combo is .454 casull/.454 casull. I like .45C for no particularly good reason, but there is nothing this gun could do I can't already do better. Well, except fire .410 shells...I don't own a .410 shotgun.

I think mentioning SD in relation to this sort of thing shows a strange obsession with one aspect of gun ownership. Not everything is about self defense.

TexAg
January 20, 2010, 10:12 PM
I think it might be a handy little farm gun. Good for coyotes, coons, foxes or other chicken killers (or two legged thievs) with .45. Good for snakes with .410. You could also dispatch small meat birds or rabbits with the .410. Big question is what the shot pattern would be out of such a long rifled bore? What lethal range for dove would you be looking at?

fireside44
January 21, 2010, 12:32 AM
I think it might be a handy little farm gun. Good for coyotes, coons, foxes or other chicken killers (or two legged thievs) with .45. Good for snakes with .410. You could also dispatch small meat birds or rabbits with the .410.

Exactly what I was thinking. A good camping gun.

I'm in a similar boat except my combo is .454 casull/.454 casull. I like .45C for no particularly good reason, but there is nothing this gun could do I can't already do better.

I have a .45 LC pistol so the temptation to make another pistol/rifle set is high for me. I could see getting a lot of satisfaction from that with a 250 grain XTP and a healthy dose of H-110 through that long barrel.:)

JShirley
January 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
I think mentioning SD in relation to this sort of thing shows a strange obsession with one aspect of gun ownership. Not everything is about self defense.

I've used a lever-action .45 Colt for HD before. Wouldn't a .45 Colt from an even faster action be even better for H/SD? Now the question (for me) would be whether it's strong enough to shoot GA Arms 260 HPs (http://georgia-arms.com/new45longcolt260grjacketedhollowpoint50pk.aspx). But even if it's "only" a lower-powered Gold Dot, 5 quick rounds is a lot of medicine, and should be quite effective for home defense.

Ed Ames
January 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
Quite effective? True... but it has embedded compromises to allow a feature that is of limited use for defense against humans, but can be very beneficial in other circumstances.

I have a 20" Puma M92 that I wouldn't hesitate to use for S/HD. It holds twice as many rounds (roughly). It doesn't have any "don't hold here or your hand will blow up like a puffer fish" points on the user end. The "strong enough" questions have been answered (largely by the ".454 casull" stamped on the barrel, but I digress), and while it may be slower than a DA revolver, it's pretty quick.

OTOH this Rossi offers capabilities the M92 flat doesn't. It can safely run spire pointed bullets to eke out a little extra range. It can fire .410 shotshells that are FAR more appropriate for short range hunting of small game or dealing with pest problems. It doesn't abuse the brass. About the only clear win for for S/HD is rate of fire, but that's a double edged sword because it comes with a 5-6 rd (don't know the cly. size) capacity.

Each weapon has benefits. Neither is unusable. My take, however, is that this revolver's signature benefits all bias it towards non S/HD uses, where something like an M92 (or M1 carbine, or... you get the idea) ends the comparison either neutral or biased towards S/HD.

44Dave
January 21, 2010, 10:49 AM

I would like one of these, but in .44.

JShirley
January 21, 2010, 11:55 AM
Well, Ed, I am a big fan of the M1 Carbine for close-range social use, so I'll agree with you there.

Ed Ames
January 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
M1 carbine agreement is just too easy. :)

My point wasn't to dismiss the suitability of any gun for S/HD. It was more to say that a gun shouldn't be dismissed just because it's optimized for something other than S/HD.

Eightball
January 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
The blast shield looks to be attached to the cylinder crane. Pretty intuitive, it keeps it where it should be.

However, the thing that no one has yet brought up---that thing would be a pain in the neck to reload. I dunno about you guys, but I don't typically point my rifles or shotguns way the heck up into the sky to push an ejector rod, and it seems kind of unhelpful to reload a swing-cylinder revolver on a level plane.

Still kinda want one, though, especially if they make one that can chamber .454, as well, just like the "Raging Judge".

GEM
January 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
Well, it won't make a racking sound which is the primary usage for a self-defense shotgun - In my humorous opinion.

Just a fun gun - no SD advantages over the regular 12 gauge or 223 carbine for HD. But buying fun guns is OK with me.

JShirley
January 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know- *if* they've solved the problem of cylinder gap burn, I think a good .45 Colt HP from a carbine is better than all 12 gauge rounds except Foster slugs*, with less recoil than almost all of them.

I'll agree w/ .223, though.

*No liability from multiple projectiles, and adequate but not excessive penetration in tissue.

fireside44
January 21, 2010, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know the MSRP on this gun yet?

KevininPa
January 21, 2010, 05:44 PM
For me the niche would just be FUN. For some reason I can't understand, .410s just fascinate me. I just plain have a good time with them. Got the wife a Saiga for when we go camping and I'm out hiking around. Can't handle a lot of recoil due to degenerative discs. She would like this better because she was always a revolver shooter. Has a snub .38 that she's very good with. The manual of arms is perfect for her. It took a lot to get her trained on the Saiga. Still really doesn't like the weight of it.

Besides that we have a Bond Arms Snakeslayer, and a Snake Charmer ( which goes to POA very nicely and patterns surprisingly well!).Also had a .410/.45 Colt NEF Survivor till I gave it to my stepson.

Strangely enough, the Judge revolvers still don't stir my cockles much.

And again, strangely enough, this does:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2010/Day2/DSC09566.JPG

A buddy of mine said that I have strange tastes. I personally agree and don't care.

BlkHawk73
January 21, 2010, 08:19 PM
Neat I guess but still just as much of a novelty as the Judge is. Revolving carbine in 45LC...hmmm, nobody ever got exicited over he Beretta Stampede carbine. (I did and bought one) Multi shot .410 shotgun...never heard anyone getting excited over pumps in .410 either, or any .410 shotgun for that matter. Have Taurus, a company constantly found to have people dismissing and finding faults with and whoa, what a great idea!. I'll pass!

armoredman
January 21, 2010, 10:31 PM
I have to agree, I can't see a use beyond camp gun, but I gotta put it in the "wanna" catagory, just because. Now if they made it in 20 gauge, would be interesting, but would it then fall under the destructive device like the StreetSweeper revolving shotguns? Also would like to see it in some other calibers, get crazy with it, howsabout 45-70, like those other monster revolvers in that caliber?

Dimis
January 22, 2010, 01:13 AM
I have a question about legality

the russian MC255 isnt legal to own in the US thanks to them banning the revolving cylinder "protecta" shotguns aka street sweepers

how is taurus... excuse me rossi allowed to sell these?

is it because its tecnicaly a rifle? (but yet a smoothbore is available)

is it because it will be made here so no import laws to worry about?

i ask because i would rather get my hands on a russian MC255 but this may have to fill the gap for a revolving carbine shotgun

Ed Ames
January 22, 2010, 01:31 AM
the russian MC255 isnt legal to own in the US thanks to them banning the revolving cylinder "protecta" shotguns aka street sweepers

Not correct. The MC255 isn't legal to import into the US because the US and Russia signed a joint treaty in the...1990s IIRC. If it was made in Brazil it could be perfectly legal. Of course, being over .50cal BATFE can declare it a destructive device if they want, but they probably wouldn't.

The .410, being under 50cal, isn't subject to that destructive device threat...and the Rossi, made in Brazil, doesn't run afoul of any US/Russia treaties.

garyhan
January 22, 2010, 05:11 AM
This gun looks cool and I kinda want one just based on that. In the smooth bore version, it should be nifty for bunnies, squirrels and pests. In the rifled version, I keep wondering: 1. How much good will a shotshell be without a T/C style choke 2. How will accuracy be with that long cylinder for the bullet to jump 3. Why not chamber in .454 Casull allowing further versatility. I really look forward to the shooting tests on these. Rossi has turned out real winners in the past (i.e. the Puma) and some less impressive.

gary

nicksterdemus
January 22, 2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/9ST_NewRossiCircuit_011010A.jpg

Were I to be drawn towards a 67-68 gauge, especially of revolving action, I most certainly would take the longer barrel and fine furniture, as opposed to that monstrosity referred to as a late 60's Pontiac muscle car.

If enough sell then maybe they'll introduce the revolving 28 gauge, District Judge/Territorial Judge and offer a special order 32 gauge, Gentleman English Bob Reveling Pheasant Flailer for the discriminating birding experts and fine firearm discerning aficionados...
-------------
As I understand it's a scattergun w/rifled brl option. I'd want the smoothbore coz I think it'd be fun to use to terrorize tree rats, as long as it's DA.
----------
I see it's SA/DA, but what's up w/sissy pad?

Seriously, the bore difference between 20 & 12 gauge is roughly the same as the difference between .410 & 32 gauge.

32 & 24 gauges are produced outside of the US.

How can that ammo be any more expensive than the .410?

Yes, they would weigh more and take up more room so drop the cylinder to five rounds.(Sadly, I didn't realize the judge started out as a 5 rnd cylinder.)

I'm sorry, yet this idea is not quite mad enough...

sledhead76
January 22, 2010, 02:05 PM
I just wanna say that Taurus/Rossi hands down win the contest for coolest name for a gun. When I first heard about the Judge, I thought that was a pretty cool name. Now the Circuit Court Judge? AWESOME. Here's what they should do next. Make one that shoots .50/12ga, and somehow make a fat cylinder to work both barrels of a SxS. Call it the Supreme Court Justice!

KevininPa
January 22, 2010, 02:18 PM
"Here's what they should do next. Make one that shoots .50/12ga, and somehow make a fat cylinder to work both barrels of a SxS. Call it the Supreme Court Justice!"

You Sir, have a very warped mind. I like that trait in a person!:D

revolvergeek
January 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
There's a good picture of the blast shield here. (http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Day2_02.jpg)

DWFan
January 22, 2010, 03:34 PM
It looks almost as good as this....

Joe Demko
January 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
I have a Striker 12 gauge and, frankly, do not understand the infatuation with revolving shotguns. I haven't shot the thing in years as there is nothing it can do, save hold a few more rounds, that a conventional pump or autoloader can't do better.

Evil One
January 22, 2010, 07:48 PM
GREAT wifey/girlfriend home defense arm
I dunno... my wifey likes her Benelli 121-M1 12 gauge a lot...

Jim

armoredman
January 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
nicksterdemus, good one, had to think to remember the GTO Judge.
454 Casull would be quite the trick, I'd like to see that. They already make the Raging Judge in 454/45/410, why not the Raging Circuit Judge? That one would be better called simply the Judge Roy Bean...

nicksterdemus
January 23, 2010, 01:22 AM
Were it not for the popularity of the 45/410 we wouldn't be at this juncture.

I gotta give credit where due.

Here come da Judge, here come da Judge.

I also like that Rossi offers a rifled or smooth brl.

I would definitely buy one if offered in the 32 gauge.

Then, other companies would want to jump on the bandwagon and offer various forms of 32 gauge offerings.

The Circuit Judge release official kicks off my, Bring Back Da 32 Gauge, campaign.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/Nicksterdemus/28-32-410.jpg
28 gauge-32 gauge-.410
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/Nicksterdemus/28-32-410a.jpg

The 32, what the 410 always wanted to become...
--------------
Dare we knight it, The Hanging Judge?
----------------
The Beretta Buntline/Stampede Carbine, in 45 Colt w/18" brl w/buttstock, leftovers are being hawked for 589 clams.

shenandoah
January 23, 2010, 01:26 AM
Taurus owns Rossi and has for a couple of years, a long gun based on the old sharps revolving rifle, neat toy but it's going to be pricey.

DWFan
January 23, 2010, 05:14 AM
It would be better chambered in .38-55 Winchester. The cylinder is certainly long enough and the .38-55 operates at a low 30,000 CUP; much less than the 5-shot .44 Mag that uses the same diameter cylinder as the Judge. Of course, then some fool would stick a .375 Winchester in it, blow his face off and have his family filing suit against Taurus.

Michael_2112
January 23, 2010, 05:50 PM
It would be pretty cool, have more utility and fit into more of niche in .357 Mag or maybe even in .44 Mag. I'd also want it to have a 16" barrel and a slightly more compact design. I think it would make a handy HD carbine in this configuration.

Maybe something like this (sorry for the quick low quality photoshop):

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=113896&d=1264283197

Joe Demko
January 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
I did finally think of a reason for this thing to exist. It's the kind of thing that sells as a rule-beater in areas with especially goofy and restrictive gun laws. Back in the days when there were no gun laws beyond local carry prohibitions, revolving long guns were tried and discarded. I can't help but think that was because other designs were better.

Guns and more
January 23, 2010, 11:20 PM
At first I thought, "I want one of those." but then I thought "why?". A .410 Mossberg pump would do the same thing cheaper, so the only advantage was the use of .45 LC. I don't need to start another collection of ammo, so, no thanks. (now if it shot 45 ACP, then.....)

Nicodemus38
January 24, 2010, 12:07 AM
this is interesting, everything ive seen photo wise this week from shotshow was the circuit judge was going to be a semi auto shotgun in .410 that could take .45 colt cases. seen one photo that showed a magazine tube that stopped halfway between end of forestock and the muzzle.

NewShooter
January 24, 2010, 08:10 PM
This might make a good survival type gun. It wont take down to be compact but I dont think thats an important trait in a survival gun. You've got 410 for small game and 45 for large game or defense.

mrwilmoth
January 26, 2010, 07:25 PM
wow, this looks like a great rifle!

HB
January 26, 2010, 08:47 PM
Its really cool BUT i think it will pattern horribly with the rifled barrel and shoot .45s really poorly out of the smoothbore (and probably pattern poorly too because of the cylinder choke). Also, I can't see the double action trigger being much fun in a rifle and it looks from the grip angle that single action will be awkward.

If it were free I might take one but otherwise, no thanks.

Nevadablue
March 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
I'll have one as soon as I can find one to buy. I think one of the most attractive things about it is that so many people who don't have one (or a regular Judge) think it is worthless and ugly. Neat, that makes it easier for me to find one.
This should be the perfect small critter/ATV gun for me. And, it will look great with my Judge. :)

Shawn Dodson
March 25, 2010, 09:13 PM
According to Rossi's marketing agency, the Circuit Judge won't be available until October/November.

shevrock
April 27, 2010, 11:19 PM
Does anybody know how it loads? does the cylinder come out on the left or is it break action. I think i may be the former but I'm unsure.

Sorry for the thread resurrection.

RevolvingGarbage
April 27, 2010, 11:41 PM
If the smoothbore could be made to accept a rifled (and other types) choke, then I can see this having some utility.

THplanes
April 27, 2010, 11:44 PM
Does anybody know how it loads? does the cylinder come out on the left or is it break action. I think i may be the former but I'm unsure.

Sorry for the thread resurrection.
The cylinder swings out.

zakmatthews
August 17, 2010, 01:42 AM
Seems to me like the smoothbore version would make a great base gun for an NFA conversion, either an AOW or SBS. The AOW would essentially be a Taurus Judge without the rifling and with decent patterning. The SBS would just be a handy way to squeeze 5 rounds out of a really compact .410 shotgun . . . can't do that with a pump, auto, or lever-action.

Panzercat
August 27, 2010, 07:58 PM
Topic, rise from the dead!

I would be all over this as a .454. Yeah, it's a completely redundant in design, but efficiency isn't exactly the point here. I like my multi utility guns and .45/.410 just rings that for me. Add in some casull and i'll throw them any money they ask just for the sheer ***/uniqueness.

But .410 for self defense... that's just silly (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm). You have .45 utility so you might as well use it (unless you're concerned with over penetration issues). Snake killin' and clay pidgeon depopulation, on the other hand :D

One thing I have noted about the re-engineered Rossi/Tarus rifles is that they seem to do a decent job correcting the weaknesses of the original designs (the thunderbolt and r92 .454 as an example), so I'd probably end up giving them the benefit of the doubt with this one too.

Maverick223
August 27, 2010, 08:12 PM
Panzercat, I wouldn't mind seeing this in a .45-70Govt. (AKA: BFR), the scattergun aspect doesn't interest me much (at least not chambered for .410cal.).

:)

SheepNutz
August 27, 2010, 10:12 PM
I saw one of these today at the Dick's Sporting Goods in Florence, KY. An employee was showing it to another customer at the firearms counter. It looked kind of cool, but the price was $599 I think, which is way too much IMO.

Maverick223
August 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
...price was $599 I think, which is way too much IMO.Yeah, Bud's has it listed at sub-$500.00USD delivered, and even if your dealer charges a ridiculously high transfer fee that still leaves enough for a couple boxes of .410cal. shells and .45LC to go with it.

:)

Art Eatman
August 28, 2010, 12:23 AM
Tom Givens did a shooting test of this strange creature. No bueno p'nada. The shot spreads out rapidly, and the pistol bullets don't group worth a hoot.

Pretty much a "Why bother?" waste of money.

ugaarguy
August 28, 2010, 01:02 AM
Isn't this thing technically a shotgun, offered in rifled or smooth bore; no different than putting a fully rifled slug bbl on a pump or semi auto shotgun (except you're stuck with one or the other, permanently affixed)?

Panzercat
August 28, 2010, 02:51 AM
But really, why would you opt for smooth bore on this thing at all? I mean, just the idea of .410 slugs makes me laugh, let alone sabot'd rounds when you have .45 to fall back on. .00 and .000 buck are all center-lined down the barrel in that diameter anyway, so I'm mystified. :scrutiny:

Oh, just for giggles, a youtube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPurApky4U&feature=channel) showing the action

nicksterdemus
September 7, 2010, 11:26 AM
Academy had this listed in the Sunday sales ad as everyday $469.99.

On their websight they say that the smoothbore version will not fire 45 Colt.

Have they disabled the ability for shooting a non-rifled bullet?

Do they fear vilgilante hit men swarming the streets/drive-bys w/untraceable boolit?

The 45 w/rifling isn't that accurate so when the price drops to around 400 clams I might be moved to buy one except I want a smoothbore for the pattern & still wish to shoot 45 Colt for fun.

Geeze Louise, I couldn't hit much @ any distance w/iron sights & vaquero loads anywho...
------------------------------------
EDIT: I can't find the reference, so maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I read somewhere that smoothbore would only shoot .410.
Can't remember where & it certainly wasn't dream.

W/30-30s under 4 bills I'm still hard pressed on this buy at the current price.

Maybe a black Friday sale...
----------------------
Found my source though I can't vouch for the accuracy of the smooth bore shotgun only.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/09/taurus-rossi-circuit-judge/

-------------------------------
After contacting Academy Sports & then confirmed through Braziltech the smooth bore version, though shown & "offered" in the catalog, is not being produced by Rossi.

Something along the lines of barrel length and being designated a 45 rifle as opposed to a .410 scattergun according to customer service.

The fine folks at Academy were only delivered one judge apiece, yet one gent in the sporting goods dept. said that some type of choke attachment was provided for use w/pellets.

The gun was long since sold and he was relying on memory.

Hopefully someone will provide a review soon to establish whether the broad side of a barn can be hit w/45 Colt and provide pellet patterns that exceed point-blank range...

Panzercat
October 8, 2010, 05:08 PM
Gunblast review... (http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-CircuitJudge.htm)

Looks like it turned out pretty good. Rossi/Taurus seems to be good about reversing engineering their arms and ironing out the original flaws. This one doesn't appear to be an exception, at least in regards to the blast deflection.

Article is lighter on ballistics detail than I would have liked, but it's better than the big nothing in terms of other reviews so far. Still waiting on news for a .454 :D

Critical J
October 9, 2010, 03:40 PM
wouldn't fancy the gun for hunting much, there's simply better options out there, even for the price. However, for home defense?

Consider this; why is the traditional 12 gauge double barrel nicknamed the "old standby"? The answer is in the simplicity, you load it and leave it. A loaded double barrel break-action long gun can hang on a wall for years, dusty and untouched, then be grabbed at a moments notice and fired depindibly at any intruder,
and given the dense buckshot load you are pretty much
guaranteed to hit the trespasser whether it's dark or you're groggy
or whatever, at any logical indoor distance + it typically won't
penetrate walls in your house like a bullet will and kill your daughter in the next room. For 200ish years it's been the ultimate
home defense weapon for those reasons, even more so than popular pump-actions that involve springs which can wear down
over time and result in misfires, jams, etc. (unlikely, but thereby unworthy of the cool nickname) right, so anyway...

as for this Circuit Judge, will it replace 2 centuries of good reputation and dependibility? Hell no! Should you consider buying one to defend the lawn with? Sure, absolutely!
Here's why; like a break-barrel's loading action, placing rounds in the cylinder of a CJ will leaving them laying in place just waiting to be spun-in and fired, pretty much indefinitely until the time comes that you need it. Again, no pesky springs, don't depend on them for long periods of gun hibernation. Also, where you are losing some punch by only packing .410 sized shells, you are making-up for it with 4 extra shots, that's a fair trade since getting shot is getting shot no matter what doles it out - yes, there's always a difference, but unless your home invader for the evening is freakin' Michael Myers then don't worry about it. If they're really asking for it then give him a couple more, you'll have the spares ready and able, right there and already loaded-up. The only tiny drawback I see is that sometimes, rarely, revolvers can fall out of tune which is a small thing to worry about and may never happen in your life with the gun, but since dependibility is bottomline in a home defense type situation, the double-barrel still comes out on top, and that's why they call it the "old standby" but I'm still picking-up a CJ as a secondary, myself, one of these days...

Hartford71
October 19, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hi guys! Just wanted to let you know that my hubby just bought the new Circuit Judge and figured out how to make a speedloader for it :-)
email him at clintonhartford@yahoo.com for more info :D or go to his website www.5starfirearms.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi Circuit Court Judge (merged threads)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!