Ported barrels, do they really help?

PDA

lobo9er
January 18, 2010, 11:35 PM
Has anyone had there shotgun barrels ported and notice a big difference? A difference that would justify the cost of having it done?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ported barrels, do they really help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chas08
January 18, 2010, 11:50 PM
Well, at least IMHO and owning both. The short answer is NO

ArmedBear
January 18, 2010, 11:53 PM
Help what?

The gunsmith who does it to buy a new truck? Sure.
The gun's owner to procrastinate cleaning the gun even more? Yes.
Neighboring shooters to lose their hearing? Sometimes.

The shooter to hit targets better or experience less felt recoil? No. Won't help that. But it can help all the other stuff.

And if I'm a potential buyer of a used gun, it will cost you the sale.:)

ChileRelleno
January 18, 2010, 11:56 PM
IMO, the most effective porting would be that for a mid barrel compensator.

Better to just install a good brake/comp, e.g. Tromix Competition brake, http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/tromix-saiga-12-competition-brake-p-318.html?zenid=bd91e042e4abc6f13c198d1a753d7c60

bigalexe
January 19, 2010, 12:47 AM
Porting barrels - Its highly debated
Forcing Cone lengthening - Still debated but more people believe in it

Me - I believe in both, however I got the work done for free.

lobo9er
January 19, 2010, 09:00 AM
Looks cool :) Recoil and muzzle climb is what I'm wondering about.

ARMEDBEAR
You wouldn't buy a shotgun with ported barrels? or just not a used shotty with ported barrels?

Al LaVodka
January 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
I have shot muzzle-break barrels and didn't notice or even think to pay attention. But I never had a problem with recoil -- have you tried Zen?

There ARE measurements that prove porting physically, as in physics, works, and for a pistol-grip SG project I will be depending on it with lower shot-weight shells and a forearm grip...

oneounceload
January 19, 2010, 11:14 AM
Porting doesn't reduce recoil. It MIGHT help a little with muzzle climb - maybe, if you're really firing an elephant round in a mouse gun.

It DOES increase noise to the sides where folks might be located, thus annoying them somewhat.

If I found a deal on a gun that came with porting - like a Browning, I wouldn't NOT buy it, but if I found a deal on a gun that wasn't ported, I wouldn't waste my money having it done.

Spend that money on ammunition and practice

ArmedBear
January 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
Forcing Cone lengthening - Still debated but more people believe in it

I believe in it, because I've tried it. Shot a gun, reamed out the forcing cones, shot it again. It smooths out the recoil noticeably, if you start with a gun that has short cones. Note that I didn't say "holy-crap dramatically!" or "cuts the recoil by 90%". It's just noticeable.

ARMEDBEAR
You wouldn't buy a shotgun with ported barrels? or just not a used shotty with ported barrels?

I have not bought any shotgun with ported barrels, and I don't plan to. I think the Browning Cynergy Sporting handles well, but they're not on my consideration list, even at CDNN prices. I've been looking at used guns, and if the barrels have are ported, I quit looking at that gun.

So I guess the answer is, "I wouldn't buy any shotgun with ported barrels." Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule. If you want to sell me an MX-8 skeet gun in 95%+ condition and a stock that fits me, but it has ported barrels, for $250, I'll buy it. But under normal circumstances, I wouldn't.:D

I consider porting to be irreparable damage to the barrels, nothing more.

It MIGHT help a little with muzzle climb - maybe, if you're really firing an elephant round in a mouse gun.

Yeah. For a range gun, which tends to be heavy for its gauge, firing target loads, which tend to be light for their gauge, it would make no sense even if it really did much. For a waterfowl gun, the lower volume of shooting and tight quarters make it downright stupid to add that much noise. Just shoot a gas-operated semi -- that will reduce recoil a lot more. And with 3 shots, the third of which is usually a waste of ammo, muzzle rise isn't exactly a big problem. If you're shooting that fast, you're blasting money into the air (not to mention that I haven't ever noticed any appreciable muzzle rise, even when machine-gunning an unplugged magazine full of heavy pheasant loads at a wild-flushing bird coming by me at full tilt, while swinging the gun the whole time).

Muzzle rise has more to do with gun fit than anything. If a shotgun doesn't feel right, have it fitted. None of my guns exhibit noticeable muzzle rise, even if my shoulder is getting sore.

pikid89
January 19, 2010, 11:50 AM
shotguns have muzzle jump? ive never noticed with mine, even with super mags out of my 870, sure it kicks but its not like its trying to leap straight up

PJR
January 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
I've owned guns with factory porting but would not spend extra money having a gun ported.

Several years ago I did a comparison test between ported and unported barrels. I could not tell any difference when the ported barrel was on the gun.

farscott
January 19, 2010, 02:07 PM
My anecdotal experience. I recently added an 870 CT to my collection. This 870CT is my second sample of the model, but this one came with a Mag-Na-Ported barrel and a fully-adjustable stock. So I decided to shoot both to see if the porting actually did anything. To this end, I brought the new 870 CT and the barrel from my unported sample to my farm and shot some hand-thrown clays with each. My conclusions:

1) The report is increased with the ported barrel. Enough so to be a bit distracting. My daughter who was throwing the clays commented on it as well. Definitely a negative for porting.

2) Recoil seemed to be the same at my shoulder. It may have been less in actual foot-pounds but the increased report seemed to offset it.

3) Took me a few minutes longer to clean the ported barrel. Not enough to worry about.

ArmedBear
January 19, 2010, 02:28 PM
Note that the Magn-Na-Port Pro-Porting, and factory Browning porting, have a LOT more holes to clean than regular Mag-Na-Porting.

One of the things I like about an O/U is that it can be cleaned completely in a very short time with a rag and a boresnake. "A few minutes" per barrel would triple or quadruple that time, and require a lot more fiddling.

farscott
January 19, 2010, 02:58 PM
I agree as I had to run a pipe cleaner through each of the Pro-Port holes. That time would be doubled if the gun was an O/U versus a single-barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ported barrels, do they really help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!