New To Reloading

PDA

BoomBoom25
January 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
Well as the title states I'm new to reloading or to be a little more truthful I've never dont it in my life AND I'm not really sure were to get started? I have bought a few books and looking at all the equipment and data out there it makes me feel like an idiot. I do won't to learn because its getting harder and harder to find my ammo that I shoot and when I do find it its like $20 a box. Where it used to be about $10. So if anybody could give me a few pointers and maybe some ideas on the best equipment it would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "New To Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmortimer
January 19, 2010, 09:03 AM
Common thread. Get reloading manual - most recommend Lymans and I would recommend Modern Reloading by Richard Lee especially if you use Lee equipment. Lee Precision equipment is the most cost effective and you can buy an all inclusive "Kit" to start. Graffs sells a Classic Turret Press "kit" otherwise you can get the Lee Kits (non-classics) most anywhere, I always recommend you go to Midway USA web site and read the customer reviews/comments from actual owners regardless if you buy your equiment from another source. The reviews are invaluable. All brands work. Two great presses are the Lee Classic Cast single stage and the Lee Classic Turret. I got two Lee kits, a single stage and a 4 hole turret kit before they came out with the Classic presses. Read the reviews and you will see what I mean. Get whatever brand suits you but if you insist on getting a progressive, i.e. load lots of rounds then go with Dillion or Hornady Lock and Load. Lee Prescision progressives will work but you will have a much steeper learning curve - again read the reviews.

bullseye308
January 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
How close are you to Smyrna/Murfreesboro?

wgaynor
January 19, 2010, 09:32 AM
The best advice I have ever read on here is to get a buddy to teach/help you start off if possible. AND read, read, read, read, read...

RandyP
January 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Don't feel bad, everybody started from a point of learning it cold.

I personally suggest the Lee 50th Anniversary single stage kit as a GREAT way to learn at an affordable price.(about $90) You can upgrade later to their Classic turret and use the same dies, caliper etc.

http://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/anivers.html

It can make about 50 rounds per hour of safe, reliable and accurate ammo.

If you decide later on that reloading isn't for you, you can always sell it on e-bay and recover some $$.

The youtube and Lee videos are well worth the watching to see how simple the process can be.

http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

196scoutmaster
January 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
Amen to wgaynor's advice. Find a buddy who reloads, have him demonstrate for you. I spent an afternoon with a friend who's been reloading for years. It confirmed much of what I read but also picked up few things - mostly safety "habits". The books emphasize safety but watching it practiced really helps.

BoomBoom25
January 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty far away from smyrna or murfresburogh dont think I spelled that right. Thanks for all of your help I'm taking a trip to my uncles house this weekend. He does some reloading and said he would show me what to do, he even has some more books he said I can have, and he is also going to help me purchase what I need to get started. So anyway like I said thanks for the advise and when I get started Ill let everyone know how its going.

nastynatesfish
January 21, 2010, 09:52 AM
Get yourself a lee setup like randyp said. Get yourself an rsbs die set and a can of sizing wax( not the pad) get the trimmer and gauge lenght. You can go online to different powder manufactors and they can give you start and max loads. If you give your type of rifle and calibre the people on here will help out with all sorts of charge advice. Be safe and good luck

wgaynor
January 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
Remember, when you are working on your own for the first, time, you might get confused with the steps that your Uncle showed you. In times like these, go to the RCBS home page. Click on the step by step reloading link. It will keep you on track. http://www.rcbs.com/guide/default.aspx

There may be other sites out there that helps, but this is the one I used in my moment of confusion.

Oh yeah...have your uncle on speed dial...will come in handy.

gregj
January 21, 2010, 12:01 PM
BoomBoom25, I just started reloading the first of this year, hopefully what I did to get started will help you as well. *** This might be a little lengthy for some. ***

- Read, then read some more, then read more, then ... You get the idea. Read all the posts on reloading here and on other forums, there's a wealth of information to be mined. Also get the ABCs of Reloading, great starter book. Get one or two reloading manuals for now and read those. Pay close attention to the sections covering what you are going to begin reloading. If something doesnt make sense, search the forums, chances are it's been asked/answered. If you cant find it, ask.

- Figure out what you are going to begin reloading first, quantities, type of shooting you do, etc. I knew I wanted to reload 9mm and 45 first, and that I shoot a fair amount. Given the quantity I would probably reload, through research I knew a single stage press was not what I wanted. I wound up settling on the Lee Classic Turret press complete kit from Cabela's, and have been very happy so far. Get good tools, a set of good digital calipers is a must, as is a bullet puller.

- Get additional reloading manuals, and find other sources for load data, like powder mfgrs, loaddata.com, etc. Now that you are beginning to understand the basics, you need to be aware of the different load data that is out there. If you have multiple load data for the same round, use the one with the lower charge data starting out.

- Get yourself organized. Not only a clean, neat, organized bench or area to reload at, but organize your data. I use a 3 ring binder with my load data sheets, my pet loads, info from powder mfgrs, info from forum posts, notes, etc, etc.

- Start slow at first. Concentrate on only one caliber, one powder, and one bullet source/mfgr. It will be safer for you, but also keep things less confusing. Especially if you start using different powders and different bullets. All plated bullets are not alike, and you will find this out eventually.

- Start with low powder loads first, then work your way up to near max. Note I said near, not at max. Starting out, most of my loads are in the mid range, and I'm comfortable with that. I have not (at least intentionally) loaded any at the max load.

- And dont make more than you are willing to take apart and redo, until you get more experienced. DAMHIK :o

I freely admit I've got a LOT to learn, but hope some of my beginner's lessons learned may help.

If you enjoyed reading about "New To Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!