Shades of gun bigotry

PDA

hso
January 19, 2010, 04:00 PM
http://sitelife.newsleader.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/2/0/82ae2016-ed8e-42ec-a0e9-aa446fa5f662.Large.jpg

That's from a political cartoonist for the Virginia News Leader (http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=27dc280a03b4459a9925324a7ac9ddbe&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=27dc280a03b4459a9925324a7ac9ddbe&plckPostId=Blog%3a27dc280a03b4459a9925324a7ac9ddbePost%3a95abf164-7120-48d1-a74a-791f92f6214a&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest).

If the clock were turned back we'd see this sort of thing with a racial misrepresentation instead of a "class" caricature. Is this any better? Is it any more accurate? Of course not, but it seems to be common anti tactic to demonize gun owners and RKBA advocates.

Simply put, the majority of gun owners are middle class. The vast majority of RKBA advocates are educated (look at THR for example), politically active citizens.

If you want to respond to this stupidity, please do not play to the stereotype.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shades of gun bigotry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
627PCFan
January 19, 2010, 04:13 PM
This picture also represents 2 safety violations: poor muzzle control and fingers on the triggers. tisk tisk

svaz
January 19, 2010, 04:19 PM
Just another idiot writing (or drawing in this case) ad hominem attacks because the facts and statistics don't support their own prejudices. What a tool.

mcdonl
January 19, 2010, 04:26 PM
I made my comments. Respectfully.

JellyJar
January 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
There are many reasons that some people support gun control. Plain old fashion bigotry is just one of them.

Walkalong
January 19, 2010, 04:53 PM
Typical anti gun/anti gun owner cartoon. They try to demonize the person as well as the tool. It is working pretty well. Non gun owners believe all kinds of drivel because they are fed it by the media and have no way to know it's BS, simply because they don't realize all the normal folks around them that are responsible citizens as well as gun owners.

Our South campus hospital recently fired a maintenance man for carrying a pistol around the hospital, while on duty, showing it off and talking about how he had 20 guns. (moron)

This does not help, and since many of the folks who witnessed his behavior do not know any responsible gun owners, they are quick to believe all the crap the media pushes on them. Why wouldn't they?

NinjaFeint
January 19, 2010, 05:20 PM
Gun control is generally racist and against the poor. It seems to be more about controlling certain groups of people than about controlling guns. Look up the etymology of the word "Saturday Night Special" which is a favorite of politicians to describe guns that are at a price people with a lower income can afford.

dayid
January 19, 2010, 05:21 PM
He also seems to have loaded his belt and bandoliers upside-down

Cosmoline
January 19, 2010, 05:26 PM
Aren't antis great? Unless you're willing to accept the extrajudicial punishment of limiting your firearm purchases to one per month, you are an in-bred paranoid hick. They have no rational basis for these laws, so they're left with character attack.

Babbalanja
January 19, 2010, 05:27 PM
Most political cartoons, usually satirical, have an element of humor to them. I don't find this funny in the least. A weak attempt.

Fremmer
January 19, 2010, 05:28 PM
What, you don't agree with "common sense" and "sensible gun safety" laws?!?

CoRoMo
January 19, 2010, 05:31 PM
The only thing I can agree with, regarding this cartoon, is the line, "...I have the right...".

Other than that, it's just a load of elitist bilge.

oneounceload
January 19, 2010, 05:44 PM
While to many here it may be an innocuous attempt at political humor, to the millions of soccer moms who hover over every move their child makes for fear something evil will befall them, this hits a nerve on the protect the children route.

Do NOT just blow this off, but retaliate through letters to the Editor, comments on line where the cartoon originates from, etc. and show those wavering on the fence that this cartoon is wrong. If you do nothing, then they have already won...................

jn1965
January 19, 2010, 05:50 PM
OK This is funny...

First of all this guy LOOKS like my Father-in-Law who is an ex-government agent.
Except for the poor gun control stuff, that is...

Second since he IS A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN what busniess is it of anybody what his individual reasons are for having guns? Has he gone 'postal' on a 7/11?, Shot up a school?, Gone hunting in the city for two legged 'deer'? NO! He is LAW ABIDING!

This kind of thing make me wonder if the cartoonist had gotten his start depicting Jews for the NAZI party!

I mean COME ON!

happygeek
January 19, 2010, 06:24 PM
Herr Goebbels would be proud, they've learned much from his propaganda against Der Juden.

ClayInTX
January 19, 2010, 06:31 PM
Well, in his bio McCloskey does admit he’s a “soccer dad” so that might be why he has an attitude. However, he says he’s in Staunton, Virginia, and that’s an odd attitude for that neck of the woods, or at least, for the Shenandoah Valley.

It seems he got ripped fairly well in the responses to the paper.

wishin
January 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
The ultimate insult here is that anyone against the one-a-month club principle suffers from antisocial paronoia and feelings of inadequacy. He's an idiot!

sheepdog
January 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
...typical liberal tactic...can't debate the issue successfully, so attack the opponent...why are we surprised?!!!

rust collector
January 19, 2010, 08:02 PM
Political cartoonists are paid to stir the pot. Just like Doonesbury, they polarize the viewers and get folks all riled up. It's one cheap shot after another, but how would you like to earn a living like that? Rather sad, really.

Remember when they were newspapers? Now they're just another form of entertainment, and a rather miserable one at that. They are living on borrowed time. There just aren't that many birdcages in need of floorcoverings anymore.

LibShooter
January 19, 2010, 08:14 PM
Ridiculing ones political opponents has a long and honored history in the American marketplace of ideas. I certainly don't want it stopped; I may need it someday.

Besides, we're big boys and we can take it.

Manco
January 19, 2010, 09:21 PM
I actually feel sorry for the ignorant cartoonist, who is a clear example of too much "education" and not enough learning. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, so thankfully not much was wasted here.

Mr.Davis
January 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
If I could afford one gun a month, I'd feel anything but inadequate :D

As another said, a shining example of recruiting ad homenim attacks when the facts don't suit one's prejudice.

I honestly think Hoplophobia will be diagnosed as a mental disease someday.

TheotherMikeG
January 20, 2010, 01:55 AM
Comments on the web site seem to be running against the cartoonist. I added my opinion to the mix as well, in a polite and civilized way of course! :evil:

musick
January 20, 2010, 01:56 AM
The vast majority of RKBA advocates are educated (look at THR for example)

With all due respect (and I really do mean that), do you truly believe that? Honestly now.

Please dont take that personally or as an attack aganist others here. It is NOT meant to be. But if you want to understand where I am coming from, do look at the posts as an outsider would.

There is quite a few educated posters on this fourm - but a vast majority ...sorry, but I would have to respectfully disagree.

RE: cartoon - mass media is meant for consumption by the masses. The cartoon feeds into common stereotypes of firearm owners. Stereotypes are often (not "always", not "mostly" mind you) portrayed for a single reason. They are often true.

Mass media is there for ONE REASON ONLY:

Titillation, not information.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember (20+ years). This will not change w/o a massive outcry from the majority.

NinjaFeint
January 20, 2010, 02:57 AM
I posted earlier in this thread regarding gun control but I want to explain something else as well. I can probably find a political cartoon that offends any demographic you could name without breaking too much of a sweat. Just make sure if you are offended by the stereotyping in the cartoon you understand the why anti's, liberals or whomever are when they are all lumped together in some caricature type cartoon.

Not trying to support anti's or really anyone for that matter but a few hours away gave me a different perspective on the whole situation.

Neverwinter
January 20, 2010, 03:06 AM
With all due respect (and I really do mean that), do you truly believe that? Honestly now.

Please dont take that personally or as an attack aganist others here. It is NOT meant to be. But if you want to understand where I am coming from, do look at the posts as an outsider would.

There is quite a few educated posters on this fourm - but a vast majority ...sorry, but I would have to respectfully disagree.

RE: cartoon - mass media is meant for consumption by the masses. The cartoon feeds into common stereotypes of firearm owners. Stereotypes are often (not "always", not "mostly" mind you) portrayed for a single reason. They are often true.

Mass media is there for ONE REASON ONLY:

Titillation, not information.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember (20+ years). This will not change w/o a massive outcry from the majority.
Stereotypes do not have to be often true to be effective. The tendency for people to seek out confirmatory evidence for their own preconceptions will make up for a lack of quantity.

Stereotypes should always be challenged, with as many contradictory examples as possible.

Yosemite Sam
January 20, 2010, 05:27 AM
We can just fight back with our own cartoons.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/mrjickles/THR/gun-free-zone-dang.jpg

Autolycus
January 20, 2010, 05:43 AM
This is the same playbook that the Teabaggers were using during the Teaparties. Racism and stereotypes without a full understanding.

bdickens
January 20, 2010, 07:22 AM
This is the same playbook that the Teabaggers were using during the Teaparties. Racism and stereotypes without a full understanding.
Look in the mirror.

wishin
January 20, 2010, 10:23 AM

Surely, you jest? Even if you think many THRers are stupid, you don't really think the cartoon character is perceived as us? How many people do you know who feel firearms owners are grossly overweight, scraggley bearded pinheads from a podunk mountain shack? Stereotypical? I for one, have never encountered a gun nut that comes close to this rendition except in the movies. In all fairness, you did say, "often true". Might you agree that in this case it's a poor portrayal - done to ridicule?

JohnBT
January 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
"However, he says he’s in Staunton, Virginia, and that’s an odd attitude for that neck of the woods, or at least, for the Shenandoah Valley."

Not anymore, the high real estate prices in Charlottesville (U. of Va.) have driven hordes of liberals over the mountain to Waynesboro and Staunton. And maybe down I-81 from the Harrisonburg/James Madison U. area. I don't think the Mennonites and Amish in that area sell too many farms to developers. ;)

If it weren't for the liberal influx I'd agree with you completely. Hunting was, and is, a big deal in that part of the world. My mother was born in Waynesboro in 1924 and she still had family there up until last year. A cousin of my dad's was county sheriff of Augusta for 25 years or so back starting when I was a kid. (I looked it up - '57 to '84.) My parents retired and moved to Stuarts Draft in 1990 and moved to assisted living in Harrisonburg in 2007, so I'm still through there every week and meet a lot of people while taking care of their business and medical needs and stuff.

And my favorite gun store is between Waynesboro and Staunton in Fishersville. Dominion Outdoors.

http://shop.1asecure.com/dominionoutdoors/webpageimages/Tony%20new%20store%20GD%20II.JPG

svaz
January 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
How many people do you know who feel firearms owners are grossly overweight, scraggley bearded pinheads from a podunk mountain shack? Stereotypical? I for one, have never encountered a gun nut that comes close to this rendition except in the movies.

I do. :P

But to be fair, he is "good people"; honest as the day is long and generous to a fault - and he's not a "gun-nut" per se, but he does enjoy them (more of a car nut, really). He is also someone I'd rather have as a friend than some hoplophobic, Grace Kelly-watching, Springsteen-listening, self-righteous, prejudiced doodle scrawler.

Walkalong
January 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
There is are quite a few educated posters on this fourm forum.

There, fixed it for ya. :neener: :D

We at THR are like most groups. We have very educated folks, not so educated folks, and everywhere in between. We also have a multitude of professions represented here. Doctors, lawyers, computor programmers, secretarys, diesel mechanics, pilots, truck drivers, you name it.

All are at least to some degree pro gun. Some more than others. Many are liberals, but I suspect we have more conservatives than liberals.

The cartoonists on both sides do the same thing to some degree.

huntsman
January 20, 2010, 02:12 PM
Our South campus hospital recently fired a maintenance man for carrying a pistol around the hospital, while on duty, showing it off and talking about how he had 20 guns. (moron)

This does not help, and since many of the folks who witnessed his behavior do not know any responsible gun owners, they are quick to believe all the crap the media pushes on them. Why wouldn't they?

Please define "responsible gun owners"

Simply put, the majority of gun owners are middle class. The vast majority of RKBA advocates are educated (look at THR for example), politically active citizens.

Why does this matter? Are inalienable rights only for the educated or of a certain class? Or is the 2nd amendment only for chino wearing suburbanites who attend rallies and shoot at "gun ranges"? Is the cartoon inflammatory? Yes but I find some responses even more offensive.

NMGonzo
January 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
I don't look like that guy.

Warhawk83
January 20, 2010, 02:23 PM
I live in NE Louisiana, in my experiences hunting and range shooting, I see all different kinds of people. Well heeled and educated people, and dirt poor uneducated people. People from all walks of life enjoy the shooting sports,to characterize all gun owners as redneck idiots is wrong.

This country was founded by men who fought oppression, WITH GUNS, Mr. libtard would be speaking in a British accent ,paying taxes with no representation, and teaching his son Futbol if it weren't for gun owners. Hell, that's probably what he wants anyway.

I read the responses and most were well written and appropriate. As stated earlier, this guy is paid to "stir the pot" and he did. Just watch, comments won't be accepted soon enough.

Artiz
January 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm often referred to as the anti-social, paramilitary paranoid everyone talks about... I'm OK with that.

Bix
January 20, 2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by musick

Well, taking our self-reporting at face value, it would seem that the vast majority of members responding to polls on the issue have some level of education beyond high school / GED:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=342210&highlight=level+education

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=250216&highlight=level+education

I suppose whether or not that counts as 'educated' could be debatable, depending on one's frame of reference - but it is certainly a reasonable basis for hso's assertion.

Erik M
January 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
Opinions emailed to editor, also registered and posted a comment to the creator.

dmancornell
January 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
Anti-victim leftists follow a standard totalitarian dictum on propaganda, to slander and dehumanize the targeted group until they are no longer considered civilized or acceptable. Then they can be liquidated without public opposition.

And to f*** up the asshat cartoonist's assumptions, I have a BS/EE and MS/EE from Cornell University, so I can trump whatever educational pedigree he flaunts. And I'm not white, nor do I have a beer gut. :neener:

Officers'Wife
January 20, 2010, 07:13 PM
Emotional appeals, demonizing and out and out lying are effective tools pretty much used on both sides of the political stripe. Those willing to find the truth will, those that seek to justify their preconceptions will find examples even if they have to invent them. When the many are judged by the few, the actions of the many are irrelevant

Kimber45acp
January 20, 2010, 07:30 PM
This isn't just a shade of bigotry, this is full blown bigotry aimed at poor people, overweight people, people who may not have perfect teeth, as WELL as gun owners.

Everyone here should write a letter of complaint to this scumbag's bosses and demand that this offensive trash be removed from their servers. http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=CUSTOMERSERVICE03

Oh, and here is the information for the bigoted creep who drew that trash (he's MORE than a cartoonist there) http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/personalia?ID=jmccloskey&template=pers

Shadow Man
January 20, 2010, 07:48 PM
There is quite a few educated posters on this fourm

That would be "There are quite a few educated posters on this forum"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Back on topic though: political cartoons have been around as long as newspapers have. Nothing short of bankrupting or boycotting the papers is going to make that stop...unless we (the responsible gun owners) take it upon ourselves to educate the rest of America instead of sitting in front of your screen and getting upset and then promptly forgetting about it as soon as you get up...which is what I admittedly did.

Kimber45acp
January 20, 2010, 07:58 PM
Here's what I wrote on their "contact us" page:

I want this message forwarded to management. I cannot believe the bigoted and offensive content from Jim McCloskey that you published (and continue to host on your servers). Can someone tell me HOW you find this bigoted cartoon even remotely acceptable http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=27dc280a03b4459a9925324a7ac9ddbe&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=27dc280a03b4459a9925324a7ac9ddbe&plckPostId=Blog%3a27dc280a03b4459a9925324a7ac9ddbePost%3a95abf164-7120-48d1-a74a-791f92f6214a&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

That excuse for a political cartoon is bigoted against overweight people, the poor, people with less than perfect teeth, as WELL as anyone who owns a firearm. Seriously, how do you defend publishing that garbage? Mr. Jim McCloskey thinks it's a harmless political cartoon, yet he insults so many people who have NOTHING to do with the gun rationing law he loves so much. Is THIS how you view your readers if they dare to desire to purchase more than one firearm? Are you kidding me? So if your readers dare to purchase more than one firearm, YOU see them as mentally ill, fat, paranoid, missing teeth, ugly, inadequate etc? WOW! If you have a shred of dignity you will remove that trashy "cartoon" from your website and reprimand the bigoted individual who pushed it.

Kimber45acp
January 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
I fix'd Jim's cartoon ;)

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9928/hick.jpg

wishin
January 20, 2010, 08:40 PM
I do. :P

LOL. I guess that's the law of averages! Please post photos.:D

savit260
January 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
Maybe would could lobby for a "one newspaper a month" law. ;) I wonder how the media would react to that?

svaz
January 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
LOL. No pics, sorry. Kinda like the guy in the pic, but no hat and fewer teeth. Bless his heart*.

My new favorite quote:

Prejudices are what fools use for reason.

*(In the Deep South, any non-malicious bad-mouthing must be followed by 'Bless his/her heart' - kinda like the 5-second rule when you drop food on the floor.)

wishin
January 20, 2010, 11:57 PM
Maybe would could lobby for a "one newspaper a month" law. I wonder how the media would react to that?

Think we can get the idiot cartoonist to do the same caricature with newspapers in his clutches? Maybe a green visor too.......

bhinks
January 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
Here is my response, conveniently posted to their website via Kimber's link:

I would like to express my disgust with Jim McCloskey's recent cartoon regarding Virginia's one gun a month law. His stereotypical portrayal of gun owners as ignorant slobs was not only incredibly offensive to responsible gun owners everywhere, but also completely counterproductive. Mr. McCloskey has every right to disagree with myself and others about the effectiveness or necessity of this law, and I realize that political cartoons are meant to provoke to debate, but even in that format, one should at least TRY to make some sort of real argument against the law, rather than making base, ad hominem attacks. I may not currently be a resident of Virginia or a subscriber to your publication, but I may be stationed there shortly and I can assure you that solely because of Mr. McCloskey's disgusting cartoon and your paper's decision to print it, neither I nor anybody I can persuade will ever subscribe to your publication. I can also assure you that a great many of your current subscribers are offended. Gun control is always a hot-button issue and tends to raise some strong emotions, but this type of low-brow and irrational attack is absolutely uncalled for; you have disgraced yourselves and angered the vast majority of responsible American gun owners. Shame on each and every one of you.

If you have a minute, I'd encourage everyone to send them a comment. I wouldn't be surprised if THRs active membership rivaled the VNL's subscribership. A strong response by the gun-owning on this kind of attack each and every time it's discovered is how we can start to change the culture.

MinnMooney
January 21, 2010, 12:21 AM
http://depthome.sunysuffolk.edu/Library/HDHU/images/138.jpg

The anti-gun crowd is very similar to pre-WWII Nazi Germany with their anti-semitic posters. The Nazis were very successful in creating false stereo-types of the Jews and made it easier to get rid of them when the time came.

Does any of this sound like familiar tactics to anyone???

wishin
January 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
^^^Excellent anology and poster. What language is that??

Straight Shooter
January 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Can anyone translate the poster above?

mbt2001
January 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
I sent a letter.

Personally, I am tired of the "over compensating" type remarks that people criticizing gun owners throw out there. It is offensive. If it were any other subject and we were perceived as anything other than white males, it would be political death to do it.

Imagine if women were the perceived main proponent of guns and there were a ton of editorial cartoons showing fat, PMS enraged women killing people... Yeah, cartoon and story retracted.

JohnBT
January 21, 2010, 04:31 PM
I've been reading that rag off and on forever. My parents and relatives read it for the local news and obits (and the Richmond paper and Washington Post for better coverage of the important news.) Here is a bit of a letter to the editor from last November.

"Does The News Leader want to be a niche player in a dying market or an expanding player in the local market? Find stories that local people want to read. Get an editorial board that is at least balanced, not falling off the left end. Appeal to people who might buy your paper. Go out and get readership. Don't chase them away by telling them that they are wrong, wrong, wrong.

If The News Leader would realize they publish their newspaper in the reddest part of Virginia, they might not be forced to lay people off or send their printing to another county.

PHILIP LYNCH Fishersville"

bikerdoc
January 21, 2010, 04:46 PM
Call him.

Be calm respectful, present your status, job, standing in the community, etc.

And tell him you are offended!

atomd
January 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
Where are the good political cartoonists anyways? Do they even exist? Every single one I remember seeing is not even slightly funny and looks like it's drawn by some barking moonbat who either can't draw well or is too stoned to really try. Guys like him are the first ones to be offended when someone says anything negative about any race other than whites or any religion other than Christians....but yet they can be blatantly offensive to the white males, Christians, or any group that isn't "PC" this week. These guys actually make Family Circus seem slightly funny (and that's saying something).

scndactive
January 21, 2010, 07:54 PM
What is amazingly hypocritical is stomping a mud hole in the 2nd amendment while Enjoying and profiting from the full use of the 1st.

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 21, 2010, 08:30 PM
We at THR are like most groups. We have very educated folks, not so educated folks, and everywhere in between. We also have a multitude of professions represented here. Doctors, lawyers, computor programmers, secretarys, diesel mechanics, pilots, truck drivers, you name it.

"We" also have a strictly focused set of forum rules and strictly enforced censorship rules. Therefore, what you see here, is with the 70% of mindless drivel that you'd see on other forums stripped away. "We've" got a great bunch here, but it's also a highly filtered minority of people. Browse a few other forums and see what level of discussion passes as intelligent there.

Artiz
January 25, 2010, 09:14 AM
Does any of this sound like familiar tactics to anyone???

What, are you saying these brainwashing happiness TV commercials are not meant to strenghten my independent and extremely right wing mind?

Walkalong
January 25, 2010, 09:30 AM
Browse a few other forums and see what level of discussion passes as intelligent there.
I have. That is why I am here. ;)

We still have a very diverse group with a commonality of the love of shooting.

TexasBill
January 25, 2010, 09:55 AM
Why not just e-mail Mr. McCloskey personally? His e-mail address is jmccloskey@newsleader.com. Before you do, you might want to think of a reason why someone would want or need to buy more than one handgun a month. Starting with the flawed logic that says someone who wants to buy more than one handgun a month is going to want to do that every month or is necessarily going to buy more than two handguns ever. Earlier this year, I bought two handguns on a single transaction: both were .22 pistols. I wanted to be able to have my wife join me at the range so we could shoot together, an activity we enjoy.

Sadly, the image of a gun fancier as a white, reactionary redneck is all too common, making a prime subject for cartoonists. It's a pity that some of our more conservative cartoonists (yes, they exist) don't seem to be able to come up with a good caricature of a rabid gun control nut. It's also a pity we don't have more high-profile liberal gun owners (yes, they exist, too) willing to stand up for the pro-gun movement.

StrateShooter
January 25, 2010, 06:14 PM
Leftists are not liberals for the most part because they oppose freedom, including gun rights, victims' rights, and the right of self-defense, and some are even totalitarians. "Liberal left" is an oxymoron. And they are hypocrits because they pretend to be liberal and opposed to bigotry but they are bigoted themselves as we see in the McCloskey cartoon and that is only a small part of the bigotry. For the most part they are unstable extraverts (cholerics), prone to psychosis, neurosis, and anti-social attitudes and behaviour. The anti-gun lobby is in general anti-liberal, totalitarian (supports a police state and the banning of guns), criminal, psychotic (believing guns cause crime), psychopathic (supports violent crime, defends criminals, opposes victims and self-defense), and phobic (morbid fear of guns), and is managed by the same people who orchestrate mass murders to galvanize people against guns (trauma-based mind control).

shockwave
January 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
While anti-gun sentiments were, at one time, strongly correlated with Democrats, this is much, much less so today. In fact, two of the strongest opponents to private gun ownership that I know personally are very conservative Republicans. It is probably safer to say that the "anti-gun crowd" are operating less out of politics and more out of personal prejudice or fear. And cartoons like the one in question don't help.

Also, one thing that seems to be unknown to the non-gun-owning public is the high cost of firearms. Billy Bob might want to buy more than one gun a month, but can he afford it? Unlikely. This is why most gun owners (this is backed by a formal study, btw) are solidly middle class and up. Those in a lower SES can and do obtain firearms, but often illegally, or guns of very low quality.

Yet another point is the culture of safety embraced by most - not all - gun owners. Our culture has a very strong safety focus, and that's why there are relatively few gun injuries due to accidents and mistakes. Those who follow the Three Rules of safety are virtually guaranteed to not be a source of problems. The non-gun-owning public has no idea about this and tend to picture gun-owners as being dangerous, whereas most are fanatic about avoiding accidents.

Artiz
January 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
Yet another point is the culture of safety embraced by most - not all - gun owners. Our culture has a very strong safety focus, and that's why there are relatively few gun injuries due to accidents and mistakes.
True, I always feel safer at the gun club than anywhere else in town. Police office included (the reason being a history of cops shooting other cops here, scary ****)

atomd
January 25, 2010, 08:22 PM
While anti-gun sentiments were, at one time, strongly correlated with Democrats, this is much, much less so today.

If you look at the ratings of politicians on the NRA-ILA site, you'll see a heck of a lot more "F" ratings next to Ds than Rs.

StarDust1
January 25, 2010, 08:36 PM
There are many reasons that some people support gun control. Plain old fashion bigotry is just one of them.
Actually bigotry was the original reason for gun control...

StrateShooter
January 26, 2010, 11:30 AM
I was able to identify only 3 words in the poster posted by MinnMooney. The 1st word is Jud, as in Jew, the 3rd is people, and the last is probably Judaic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shades of gun bigotry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!