.223 primer problems

PDA

Visionz45
January 20, 2010, 01:52 PM
Ive just fired a mag out of my ar-15 20" 5.56 nato. Upon picking brass up I noticed that two cases had their primers slightly backed out of the pockets. The ammo is federal .223 w/55 Gr FMJ's. Anyone had any problems with this brand? My barrel is a USGI EMCO 1/7, never had a problem till now.

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 primer problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
Nope.
But then, I haven't fired a factory round of .223 for about 40 years either.

Primers backing out is most often a sign of too low a pressure to expand the case to fit the available headspace..

If they are so loose they are starting to fall out, thats Too Hot or excess pressure.

rc

Visionz45
January 20, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Ill were eye pro next time just in case.

ants
January 20, 2010, 02:42 PM
ALWAYS wear eye protection, brother. And ears.

I wonder why Federal factory 55fmj would be either undercharged or overcharged?
I guess it wouldn't be the first time. Nevertheless, it sounds unusual.

Ret.CWO
January 20, 2010, 02:56 PM
Due law suits against manufactures both the Fed. and Win. are not milspec concerning chamber preassure. I have even had a few Winchester rounds fail to eject. I to shoot my own loads for the most part. I shoot the Fed. & Win. to get good brass without the crimp for hand loads. It's not the firearm as I never have had a problem with my loads or surplus mil. rounds.

ArchAngelCD
January 22, 2010, 05:20 AM
Try some PMC factory .223 ammo, I have a feeling you will like it better...

loadedround
January 22, 2010, 08:21 AM
You have not stated whether this was factory ammo or reloaded ammo in Federal cases. If it is reloaded ammo, how many times have you reloaded it? It's just possible you have worn out primer pockets. I load a lot of once firedFederal cases and have never had a problem with this make.

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 primer problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!