.380 ammo?

PDA

SATX man
January 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
I bought my wife a LCP when they first came out and she noticed there is no ammo available or its very expensive, she has never shot it, will it ever go down in price? She is thinking of selling it and going with a .38Special, will this be a wise decision to sell and go with a revolver or will prices on .380 go down?

If you enjoyed reading about ".380 ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bill B.
January 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
She is thinking of selling it and going with a .38Special, will this be a wise decision to sell and go with a revolver or will prices on .380 go down?

JMO but no prices will never go down and .380 ammo will always be harder to find than 38 special .........but unless your wife is different than 99% out there this .380 will be shot in very low volume anyway. Cabela's has had .380 available lately. I would buy several boxes and keep the Ruger. She must have had a reason for the purchase in the first place or she would have went with the .38 snub.

oneounceload
January 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
380 is available everywhere around here in central FL - it isn't cheap, but then, if you're expecting rock-bottom pricing from a few years ago, that will not probably ever happen again. Buy some reasonably- priced practice ammo like Fiocchis and buy some good-quality ammo for actual carry. This isn't a range gun where 100's or 1000's of rounds will be fired........the cost of the ammo is the least of your concern

Guns and more
January 20, 2010, 10:10 PM
I just got an e-mail that Natchez has .380 PMC Bronze for $16.99/50. Today.

Good price. .380 is coming back. Don't be afraid to order it online.

351 WINCHESTER
January 20, 2010, 10:19 PM
PMC .380 ammo is all over fl.

mxlj
January 20, 2010, 10:54 PM
check cabelas if you have one locally. or order it from them. they seem to have it in fairly regularly.

j21blackjack
January 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
+1 to ordering online. I just ordered some Buffalo Bore from Cabelas for $18 on sale. Obviously that's pretty high for only 20 rounds boxes, but not really that high. .380 is coming back slowly. Most of the pawn shops here have it, but they want $30 a box. Walmart still can't get any here in SE GA.

1KPerDay
January 21, 2010, 01:40 AM
Where I live .38 spec is more expensive than .380. not by much...

ChefKristian
January 21, 2010, 02:47 AM
Since you are in San Antonio, order it online from Cabela's and they will ship it for free to the Buda store. I ordered 3 boxes of Fiocchi .380 for $17.99 each for a box of 50. I also was in Fort Worth this past weekend an the Cabela's there had Herter's for $16.99 a box of 50 :what:,so I bought 2 boxes while I was there... So I am sitting on 250 rounds for less than $100... Cabela's also had a bunch of different brands available online...

You just need to shop around online. Usually the local shops will try to rob you blind. I was at Red's in South Austin last weekend an they would not even sell me a box of ammo, even though they had some. They said that the ammo was reserved for new gun purchases only... ***...

Every now and then Dick's will have a few boxes of Winchester white box for $18.99.

It seems it is getting to be a lot easier to find .380.

BCCL
January 21, 2010, 09:57 AM
For while, .380 was just flat gone from around here, no stores had any, but it's starting to appear again.

searcher451
January 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
I've seen plenty of .380 ACP of late in my neck of the woods. I haven't seen any .38 Special in a long, long time, however. Byt the by, I wouldn't let my wife dump the gun in question unless and until she had a chance to shoot and decided that she didn't like it. But that's just me.

NMGonzo
January 21, 2010, 03:06 PM
Online.

I get it shipped to my house.

hmphargh
January 21, 2010, 04:29 PM
I heard that the Cabela's in Buda had some PMC .380 as of a few days ago. I didn't see it with my own eyes so I can't verify that, but you might give them a call.

CoRoMo
January 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm seeing more and more .380 when I look for it. I recently saw 50rd boxes for $16.99, but I don't know if that is "low", but it doesn't seem high because I remember 50rds of range ammo priced at $39.99 just a few months ago. The odd thing is that, I don't even own a .380 pistol. I just like to see what their charging for that stuff and how much is out there.

orionengnr
January 21, 2010, 11:22 PM
will it ever go down in price?
It has gone waaaay down in the last six months. Not so long ago, .380 was either unobtainable or was getting $50-70 per box (not from me).
These days, $25-30 per box is not uncommon, and several posts on this thread show prices below $20/box of 50 rounds.

Will it go far below this price? Probably not much. But given inflation (the diminishing value of each dollar) that is not an unreasonable price.

earlthegoat2
January 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
The problem I am seeing is many are buying a 380 for concealed carry and instead of buying a 22 or a 9mm for primary plinking they go and plink with their 380 thereby buying up all the ammo.

Ben86
January 22, 2010, 08:34 AM
If you can't find it just order it online. If that's the gun she likes the most don't let a little ammo scarcety get you to sell it.

I just thought of something. Someone could stand to profit very much from opening even just a .380 ammo factory that could outproduce the rest at reasonable prices.

Jonah71
January 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
Afew months ago it was very scarce here in central Mo., but I've found more lately. Especially Winchester .380 acp range rounds. Now that I've finally got the ammo to get in some range time with mine, the weather isn't helping any. What I can't find ANY of is rounds for an old .38 a friend gave me.

ultradoc
January 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
It's all over the place in Ohio. But several months ago it was a differant story.

moooose102
January 22, 2010, 09:43 AM
it will come back down. how long is a question only panic buyers can answer. it was not until ruger introduced their LCP that things went crazy. i am glad that i bought 400 rounds of ammo, and 500 once fired cases before things went crazy. now, your wife never firing her lcp, is a whole different issue. she needs to go out and shoot it no matter what the price of ammo is. she does not need to shoot 2k rounds, but she really needs to get aquainted with the gun.

supham
January 22, 2010, 11:46 AM
Just picked some up at my local Dicks. $16 / box of 50

Plus I used my coupon from my Entertainment book.

mec
January 22, 2010, 12:01 PM
The 38 will always be more reliable than the micro -mini 380s. Their basic soundness can also be determined with minimal expendature in ammunition. Reliability with the 380s can vary from one ammunition type to the next and it may take a substantial amount of shooting to determine if the little plastic wonder is reliable at all. This months american rifleman has a round up article on all the newly introduced 380s. Only one, the rorhbach *(sp)? was malfunction free.. The rest jammed at random or on specific ammunition types leading the author, wiley clapp, to say that they probably need extended break in periods. He never did get to the point that manfunction test guns smoothed out and became reliable. In fact, the Ruger LCP he had shot for an earlier review now jammed on multiple ammunition types.

Ben86
January 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
I fine wiley clapp's review strange. To have malfunctions on so many different guns at once makes me believe it was something he was doing. Maybe limp wristing, maybe the guns were dry. My LCP has been every bit as reliable as my glocks with several kinds of ammunition. I have never had a malfunction in over 300 rounds.

trombosis
January 22, 2010, 12:20 PM
.380 is almost impossible to find here in South Texas. At the Academy in CC, any shipments they do get are bought out by 10 AM by the same people. However, I have noticed copious amounts of 9MM and .40 WWB at the Wal-Marts.

Lakeshore
January 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
Sportsman's Guide has begun shipping S&B .380 that I've had on backorder for months. Doubt I'll buy more anytime soon, I just keep some around for a couple of pocket pistols. There are a half dozen other calibers that I prefer shooting at the range.

Guns and more
January 22, 2010, 12:41 PM
Sportsman's Guide has begun shipping S&B .380 that I've had on backorder for months. Doubt I'll buy more anytime soon, I just keep some around for a couple of pocket pistols.
Good. I've had a backorder since May for S&B. Since then I've received my backorders from Cabela's and Natchez, but S/G is really slow (for the exact same product).

OregonJohnny
January 22, 2010, 01:58 PM
.380 ammo is unheard of around the Portland Metro Area. I have tried 7 or 8 different sporting goods stores and gun shops in a 20 mile radius for the last 3 months. Nothing. When I ask at these stores when they expect any .380 ammo to arrive, they all laugh and say they haven't even seen any in 3 or 4 months. I can't find it online, either. The only thing I've found is $115 for 300 rounds of PMC on Cabelas.com. That's almost $20/50, not what I'd call "a deal", especially on bulk crappy range ammo (figure in shipping, and the price goes even higher). When I did find 1 box on a shelf at a local SG store a few months back, it was Remington UMC for $16.99. I almost fainted! I'm beginning to believe that everyone in a 50-mile radius of Portland is carrying a Ruger LCP with about 25 rounds through it, and loaded with the same 6 rounds they've had in the gun for a year.

zxcvbob
January 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
I just bought a box of .380 FMJ from Cabela's for about $18. It was some Hungarian brand that I'd never heard of -- brass cases, reloadable Boxer primers. They were labeled "9mm Browning Short" :) There were at least 8 or 10 boxes on the shelf. There were also a few boxes of Aguila .380 JHP's for about $25 per box of 50, and some real expensive stuff like BuffaloBore and DPX.

This morning I got an email from Cabela's that the Magtech .380 ammo I ordered last July has finally shipped.

Elvishead
January 22, 2010, 04:05 PM
SATX man

I bought my wife a LCP when they first came out and she noticed there is no ammo available or its very expensive, she has never shot it, will it ever go down in price? She is thinking of selling it and going with a .38Special, will this be a wise decision to sell and go with a revolver or will prices on .380 go down?

Ancient Chinese secret!

I'm not going to tell to go either way, you have the gun already.

TBS, it takes almost more time than money to find .380s "Mail order", but it pops up here and there, and can be had for a good price.

I thought long and hard before getting a "pocket gun" either .380 or .38, even before the big scare came, but decided after 6 months, the .38 is a better gun for me, with more power and reliability.

But I do see a LCP or something similar in my long future.

ChefKristian
January 22, 2010, 09:38 PM
Just went to Cabela's in Buda, TX and picked up 250 rounds for $88 plus tax... 3 boxes of Fiocchi ($17.99 ea) and 2 boxes of Herter's ($16.99 ea)... They had TONS of .38 special...

Bob79
January 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
Buds had .380 PMC fmj ammo yesterday or the day before. It was $19 a box

rd2007
January 23, 2010, 07:22 PM
The Academy stores at Potranco/1604 and the new big one off 410 by Cheddars both had Wolf brand .380 in stock for $15.99/50.

Those are both in San Antonio since that's where the OP is from.

Guns and more
January 23, 2010, 11:10 PM
Ancient Chinese secret!
Like ammoengine.com ? That secret? See who has what and for how much?

StarDust1
January 24, 2010, 01:18 AM
.380 ammo is ridiculously expensive and the LCP is IMO completely unreliable in the role of defensive pistol! Get a G-26 9mm or some such similar offering from S&W...

hhb
January 24, 2010, 09:47 AM
Our county coroner says the .380 works just fine.

harmon rabb
January 24, 2010, 10:42 AM
he LCP is IMO completely unreliable in the role of defensive pistol!

wat? i know 5 people with lcp's (including myself) and none of us have had an issue. well, wait. my father had a few FTE's until i told him to stop being a limpwristing pansy. once he cut that out, his FTE's went away.

Ben86
January 24, 2010, 01:36 PM
Get the Glock 26 instead? Yeah right, because we all know how well that gun fits in a front pocket. :)

surplusfan
January 24, 2010, 10:27 PM
Even though it's still out of stock much of the time at many stores, that's not likely to continue for much longer. There's no rational reason for a shortage of .380, other than that it's become a much more popular caliber in recent years and it being out of stock adds to the panic buying. The people who are cleaning it out whenever they see it will eventually stockpile whatever they perceive as enough. There's also those buying it to resell, but that will lose its profitability once production catches up to demand, which it will. That it hasn't yet only proves how popular .380 pistols have become. Ammo manufacturers know this. The Prvi factory is on the case. :D
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=Ai380
http://gun-deals.com/deals/3318

DAdams
January 25, 2010, 12:07 AM
Find it, hoard it, drive the price and availability back up.
Things were fine until 12 new .380s showed up on the scene over the last two years. :banghead:

Ben86
January 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
How do you pronounce Prvi? Is it like pervy? Foreign made ammo has been about the only way I've gotten .380 in the past year. They are much appreciated.

rd2007
January 26, 2010, 09:11 AM
yes, you pronounce it just like that. It's the word first in Serbo-Croatian. Second would be drugi, third is treci, followed by cetverti and peti.

Guns and more
January 26, 2010, 01:19 PM
Today I got an e-mail from Natchez saying they had .380 PMC for $19.99 /50.

Not the best price, but not too bad either. I once paid $30 for a box of PMC because I had a new gun and didn't have any .380.
I think $17 is a better price, but service from Natchez is first rate.

StarDust1
January 26, 2010, 03:23 PM
Get the Glock 26 instead? Yeah right, because we all know how well that gun fits in a front pocket. :)
I don't carry any firearm in a pocket, let alone a front pocket...

StarDust1
January 26, 2010, 03:26 PM
wat? i know 5 people with lcp's (including myself) and none of us have had an issue. well, wait. my father had a few FTE's until i told him to stop being a limpwristing pansy. once he cut that out, his FTE's went away.
The LCP is as unreliable a design as has ever come down the pike, in fact, it's a PIKER! The major gun shop in my neck of the woods(Gregersons)had so many serious issues with the dozen that they sold, they refuse to stock or order them in for customers...

zxcvbob
January 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
The Magtech .380 ammo I ordered from Cabela's last July just got here yesterday :rolleyes:

I've never had any problems with my P3AT; it has maybe 100 rounds thru it so far, mostly hot handloads with LRN bullets and Winchester white box flat-nosed FMJ's. A hundred rounds may not be enough to judge by, I dunno.

I think I may buy a spring kit for it tho' because the factory recoil spring seems too weak, even for light loads.

wrs840
January 26, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Natchez email-flier out today has PMC 90gr FMJ for $19.99/box.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=pm380a&lsrc=NZ&src=BE479

Les

harmon rabb
January 26, 2010, 04:04 PM
The LCP is as unreliable a design as has ever come down the pike, in fact, it's a PIKER! The major gun shop in my neck of the woods(Gregersons)had so many serious issues with the dozen that they sold, they refuse to stock or order them in for customers...

shens.

wrs840
January 26, 2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by harmon rabb

Ahem... :D

Les

Bluehawk
January 26, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've always pronounced Prvi as "preevee" because "pervi" sounds perverted! :o)
What surprises me is why so many with .380 pistols don't reload for it...I haven't purchased commercial ammo in that caliber for so many years I'm out of touch with what the price should be in today's market. (I reload and cast all my bullets for .380 since I own and shoot three of them)

January 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
Try pronouncin' PRVI as "privy", it is a bit more accurate and less funny soundin' though it is a term used to denote "toilet".

CZ223
January 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
Cabellas has a ton of it. The prices are still up at most of the local stores but it will come down some as soon as supply catches up with demand. I have written this before but there were about three major causes for the shortage of 380 ammo.
1. Obamma caused a lot of people who never owned a gun to buy buy one or three. These people wanted something with not a lot of kick.
2. The LCP and other new/light designs caused a resurgence of interest among gunners.
3. Ammo makers put there resources into making more of the popular rounds like 9mm because of the high demand for them.

Now that ammo makers see the benefit of producing more 380 they will.

Elvishead
January 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
3. Ammo makers put there resources into making more of the popular rounds like 9mm because of the high demand for them.

Who told you that?

m2steven
January 30, 2010, 09:01 PM
if ammo makers aren't tooling up to produce the most wanted pistol ammos, they are not smart enough to be in business.

Magic_Man
January 31, 2010, 02:26 AM
I recently got an LCP & haven't fired it yet. I only have 1 box of ammo that cost me $20. I am thinking of not firing it & just selling it for a pocket gun in anotehr caliber, but do I have that option in non-revolver form? The PF9 is a bit big for pocket carry.

Guns and more
January 31, 2010, 11:11 AM
I recently got an LCP & haven't fired it yet. I only have 1 box of ammo that cost me $20. I am thinking of not firing it & just selling it for a pocket gun in anotehr caliber, but so I have that option in non-revolver form? The PF9 is a bit big for pocket carry.
You'll sell it a heartbeat (for a fair price) to someone who has no trouble finding .380.

I picked up 750 rounds of S&B for $16.95 a box by simply looking online.

If you only look at Wal*Mart, then no, there isn't any.

Magic_Man
January 31, 2010, 03:18 PM
How about sharing which vendor has it in stock for $16.95 a box? :rolleyes:

blutarsky
January 31, 2010, 06:41 PM
at the risk of making it harder for me... if you have an academy sports store by you, i've started seeing more and more of their monarch brass FMJ .380 for $14.99/50. they used to never ever have it, now i'm surprised at how many times i'm seeing it. perhaps one thing that has helped is their policy of 5-box max, making sure it lingers on the shelf longer, but it's definitely becoming more common. additionally, i've also run into monarch brass JHP .380 for $16.99/50 at the same stores... not an impressively useful jhp, but it's there as well. as would be expected, i've had best luck stopping in first thing in the morning.

If you enjoyed reading about ".380 ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!