Old and interesting

PDA

atlanticfire
January 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
Iíll try to keep a long story short. My grandfather worked as a gun smith for 50 years. First for R.F. Sedgly of Philadelphia until deployment of WW2. Then as the head gunsmith for Paul Jaeger of Jenkintown PA after the war until Paul handed operation over to his nitwit nephew (according to Pop) He is now 87 and has retuning prostrate cancer from 20 years ago. I am the closed to my grandparents of all the kids and the only gun enthusiast. So he asked me to help him go though his shop and clean things out. Well turns out when I got there he had everything packed into boxes and told me to just take it all. Itís not an easy time but I was still so interested what could be in those boxes. So fare Iíve only opened one when I got home it was files for checkering and fitting. At the bottom of the box where three ASTRA .25 ACP pistols:scrutiny:. I called him to inquire where they came from and he just told me ďthat old junk has been at the bottom of that box for 40 yearsĒ. He estimated the date of the three to be about 1924. With the high end stuff they worked on they just got discarded to the bottom of a parts box. Now is where I have questions. They are rusty, pretty bad. But when I started cleaning one of them up it appears to be only surface rust, not pitting! The slide move freely on the frame after some break free. I have looked at the slide and frame under a large magnifier and cannot see any cracks or stress indications. My only problem is that there is major pitting inside the tiny barrels. After doing a search I have not come up with any spare barrels or parts of any kind. Are they even worth doing anything with? Should I just put them back into there box and store them another hundred years? Let me know what you guys think. Sorry I donít have any picture. . . . . . Iíll work on that. (If my spelling or grammar sucks I apologize):banghead:
Thanks guys
:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Old and interesting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
January 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandfathers declining health. God only knows what you will find in those boxes. Good luck and God bless.

OcelotZ3
January 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
Numrich shows .25 cal handgun barrels as being in-stock, but not cheap (~$60).

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=894110&chrMasterModel=1070z.25%20(6.35)%20CAL.%20HANDGUN%20BARRELS&idDept=20

atlanticfire
January 20, 2010, 09:51 PM
hummmm, maybe I'll give them a call. I might be willing to go in a few dollars if I can make somthing out of them.

atlanticfire
January 21, 2010, 03:46 PM
Called and found that there was 9 in stock and in good condition. Also where offering free shipping on any orders.

NinjaFeint
January 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
I must first say I am sorry to hear about you grandfather's health.

On the other topic, post some pictures for us of those pistols and anything else you think is worth showing off.

earlthegoat2
January 22, 2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, I agree.

Some pictures of any of it would be highly intresting to any members here.

Gunsmithing from the days when gunsmiths actually built guns at Colt and Smith and Wesson doing hand fitting and no CNC machines.

The tools will be as cool as the guns I would think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old and interesting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!