difference in primers?

PDA

nastynatesfish
January 20, 2010, 11:34 PM
It seems every time I go and get small rifle primers they're either out off small riffle or the other two are just a bit cheaper..and in this time of financial challenges(aka being broke as hell) I just wonder what the difference is in magnum or benchrest primers. I'm asking for my 223. Are they more tempermental or do the burn hotter or what??

If you enjoyed reading about "difference in primers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
January 20, 2010, 11:41 PM
Benchrest primers are supposed to be more consistant. Magnum primers are a little hotter they can be exchanged for std primers, however start lower with the magnum primers and work up to get to your load.

Do not sub small pistol primers for rifle primers, however you can go the other way, small rifle for small pistol, and again start low and work up. It is possible to have some FTF rounds with the rifle primers depending on how strong your springs are.

Large rifle and large pistol are a whole differend animal tho.

BFE
January 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
This may help, copy and paste from a larger site.
Federal 215 Hotter
WLRM
CCI 250
Rem 9-1/2 M
WLR
Fed 210
CCI BR2
CCI 200
Rem 9-1/2 Cooler

bds
January 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
I found pistol Wolf/Magtech primers a bit hotter than Winchester and PMC (ones marked with "E" on primer cups) a bit less hot than Winchester.

bfoosh006
January 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
I really enjoy Rem. 7 1/2, Benchrest and closer to a Magnum primer.

If you enjoyed reading about "difference in primers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!