How would you check/clear a squib?

PDA

Straight Shooter
January 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
The XD Kaboom thread got me thinking. And as to not hijack that thread Iím starting this one.

So youíre at the range. You fire a shot that doesnít feel right. It may be a squib. Whatís next?

How would you safely check (pistol/revolver)?
How would you clear it (pistol/revolver)?
Would you continue to shoot?

If you enjoyed reading about "How would you check/clear a squib?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avizpls
January 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
pistol: drop mag, Lock slide back
Revolver: flip cyl open, empty rounds

Pistol/revolver: look down bore. If there is a squib, get it out with a wood dowel

Jim Watson
January 21, 2010, 02:11 PM
If you are squeamish about looking down the barrel, try to run a rod or pencil through it.

Best thing to do is to be sure there is one and only one powder charge in each cartridge. That has worked for me for 39 years.

Stophel
January 21, 2010, 02:27 PM
Put the muzzle to your mouth and blow. If no air comes out, the bore is blocked.

:what:

:D

rhartwell
January 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
I always carry a flashlight with me. I shine the flashlight down the barrel at the muzzle side After clearing the gun of course. Then what they said about knocking it out with a dowel. You need a hammer or something like that. It don't come out easy. It is not that hard. If you know your gun as soon as fire a squib you know it. At least that is the way in my gun. There really is no question as to what happened.

Onward Allusion
January 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
Do the safety stuff first then use a bore light. If it's blocked, try a cleaning rod (yes, I carry one at the range). If it doesn't come out, take it to a smith and let him handle it 'cause the alternative is a PITA.

Straight Shooter (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=90779)
How would you check/clear a squib?

Canuck-IL
January 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
If there is a squib, get it out with a wood dowel
Not good - even a hard oak dowel will mash at the tip on a stubborn squib ... once you end up with both a squib and a packed mass of wood fiber around it, you'll land at a 'smith to get it taken care of.

Get properly sized hard brass rods or at least Delrin.
/B

Straight Shooter
January 21, 2010, 02:51 PM
When trying to remove the bullet, would you push it through its natural path or backwards? Does it matter?

Also, if you got it out, would you continue to shoot or get the gun checked out first?

NMGonzo
January 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
Pistol.

Clear mag and unchamber round.

Barrel out, use a chopstick.

Or the handle of a wooden spoon.

Revolver.

Empty cyclinder.

Back it off the same way.

rcmodel
January 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
would you continue to shoot or get the gun checked out first?
Personally, I would get the ammo checked out first.

You ain't supposed to have squib loads.

I begin reloading everything I shoot in 1962.
I have never had a squib in my life that I didn't induce on purpose to use in Hunter Safety classes I was teaching.

A squib simply cannot hurt a gun unless you shoot another round on top of it.
Or use a screw-driver or round file to drive it out of the barrel.

If you are concerned, get a properly sized brass rod and use that.
Wood = Bad if it splinters and gets wedged beside a bullet in the bore.

rc

Jon_Snow
January 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
One thing I've done when concerned about squibs in larger caliber handguns when I don't have a cleaning rod or similar handy is to drop the mag, open the action and find a spent .22 case. Drop the 22 down the barrel and if it comes out the other side you're good. Tools may or may not be available, but I've NEVER seen a range that didn't have 22 on the floor.

CoRoMo
January 21, 2010, 05:44 PM
Revolver: flip cyl open, empty rounds

I had a squib in a Blackhawk once. The bullet stopped in the cylinder gap; half way in the forcing cone and half in the cylinder, so the cylinder couldn't be turned and unloaded. A brass rod and a hammer popped the bullet back into the cylinder.

Stophel
January 21, 2010, 05:46 PM
If it's a revolver, you pretty much have to drive it out towards the breech. If it's an auto, I suppose the preferred method would be to go towards the front (less likelihood of damaging the muzzle), but I'd say drive it whichever way is shortest. ;)

Cosmoline
January 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
I've had a few over the years, all handloads where the powder failed to ignite. I started using the primer sealant and they stopped. My SOP is to open the bolt or action and continue pointing the barrel downrange, rested on the bench. I then dangle a piece of white paper in front of the bore and wiggle it around to catch the light. If I can't see light coming down the barrel I will take additional measures. In the past the heavy cleaning rod dropped through has always cleared the bullet and wad of unburned powder. Sometimes I have to drop it a few times. If that fails I'm sure a ramrod would do the trick.

Vern Humphrey
January 21, 2010, 06:40 PM
If it's a double action revolver, remove the cylinder. Otherwise, you will be doing damage to the crane as you hammer on the stuck bullet. With the cylinder swung open, every tap on the squib is transmitted through the crane to the cylinder.

Steve C
January 21, 2010, 06:45 PM
When trying to remove the bullet, would you push it through its natural path or backwards? Does it matter?

Whichever is the shortest distance.

If you enjoyed reading about "How would you check/clear a squib?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!