Going to Cabellas for Ammo

PDA

Golden_006
January 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
Would you drive 2 hours to go to cabellas for ammo and consider it a good deal? Or do you just go for fun? Also my father goes on their site to look for guns of all things. It seemed to me at the time there are better options but not really, unless you want to order stuff from the internet; which I can't do in my jurisdiction.

I'm pretty sure if yo include gas/tolls/wear it comes out to like 10 a box for Wolf 7.62x39 -- same as the local gun store

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to Cabellas for Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
January 21, 2010, 02:41 PM
"...Would you drive 2 hours to go to Cabela's..." Only if you've never been to a Cabela's, but not if that was the only place I was going. Did it one time as a 'boys day out' with a buddy and his son.
"...can't do in my jurisdiction..." Shipping costs would negate any on-line savings even if you could.

Mags
January 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
I wish there was a Cabela's near here I have never been to one but I hear they are bigger than Bass Pro, I have ordered from Cabela's on line. There is one 6 hours away and we have considered a boys day trip over there but nothing ever came of it.

WNTFW
January 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
Cabela's is about an hour and a half from me.
It is only 15 minutes from one range and I have to pass it to go to another.

Cabela's does have a pretty good burger. Get the cheap one. The Elk or whatever is not worth the extra price to me. (at least in the location I go to)

It is pretty cool if you like looking at all the stuff.

I don't need a whole lot of stuff from there but I do like to go occasionally. I don't need to stop every time I pass though.

cornman
January 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
What kind of MPG do you get? How much will you be spending?

JJE
January 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
The closest is maybe 3.5 hours away near Reno. I've never driven to one just to go there but I've been fortunate enough to go places or by places that had stores (many are located right off a main highway), so I've probably been to 6 or 7 different Cabela's stores. I've never driven past an open Cabela's without going in, and my wife (who has no interest in hunting, fishing, camping or shooting) doesn't mind spending time there because of all the clothes.

I may be at the Reno store next week if the weather clears up a bit and I-80 is passable without too much drama.

MinnMooney
January 21, 2010, 02:59 PM
I only go when there is a really good coupon offer like $150 gift certificate if you buy $500 worth. Combine that with a sale on several things and their prices turn out to be very good. At any other time, Cabelas is very high priced indeed.

When they 1st opened the Rogers, MN store Ithought I'd stop in all the time but that got real old fast. I used to fly down to the Owatanna, MN store because they built right next to the Owatanna airport and provided a shuttle service to and from their store for free. My friends always thought it was so cool to fly there, shop all day and fly home in the evening. The 150 miles and 3 hours (one way) by car turned into only 55 minutes of flight time.

Golden_006
January 21, 2010, 02:59 PM
What kind of MPG do you get? How much will you be spending?

I have a 98 ford explorer that gets like 18 on the highway. i want to spend like 150 dollars for 500 rounds. Cabellas offers the online price but picking it up at the store. Seems like an OK deal. Especially considering I don't have a real address right now.

mcdonl
January 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
I go by one on my way home everyday. The thing I like about Cabelas, is I shop on-line, no sales tax and have the items shipped to the store with no shipping. Good deal.

Kingofthehill
January 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
cabela's is an hour from me. I only go for ammo if i plan to buy more than 3-500bucks worth.

OR if i get word they have 10mm, then i'll go up.

JOe

Va Shooter
January 21, 2010, 03:55 PM
No Cabelas close, Bass Pro is and they have gone downhill. No 9mm/45acp and few boxes of 45colt were about $35+ no 223/5.56 either. Gun prices are about $100 more than local shops. I don't waste my time or money there.:mad:

Hatterasguy
January 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
They are about an hour away from me and I go once in awhile just for fun. Their ammo deals are not anything special so I don't usualy buy much from them.

zombieoutfitters
January 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
If it was the best priced ammo around, and the ammo was available? Probably - but only if I saved over the local options. There again maybe only twice a year for large runs.

Main reason why I make my own. Self sufficiency goes a LONG way to counteract the frustration of hunting for ammo. Ironic, having to hunt for ammo when I should be hunting WITH the ammo.

Kingofthehill
January 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
When i moved from CA to TX 6 months ago, i was SO stoked that the company i work for was in the same shopping center as bass pro.

Boy did that wear off quickly... Talk about overpriced!... good god

NinjaFeint
January 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
I am 5 minutes from a Cabela's and I barely go. The one near me is almost always packed and the gun counter is so clustered with people you can't see the guns. I don't mind the take a number system for getting a salesman to handle the guns but it's hard to even see if they have what you want with the ocean of humanity in front of the counter. They are a bit overpriced for our area when it comes to guns and there ammo is on the high side too.

That said, if it was a good deal and the novelty of the store was still there for me, I would make the trip.

dusty14u
January 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
No Cabelas close, Bass Pro is and they have gone downhill. No 9mm/45acp and few boxes of 45colt were about $35+ no 223/5.56 either. Gun prices are about $100 more than local shops. I don't waste my time or money there.

Is this the Hampton or Richmond location? I live 1-1/2 miles from the Hampton store but rarely buy anything firearm related there because of the high prices. The fishing gear is good though.

I buy quite a few supplies from Cabelas each year. I just look for the sales and have it shipped to me. It was cheaper to buy an inline package from Cabelas and pay for the shipping than buy the same thing from the Bass Pro. Go figure.

oasis618
January 21, 2010, 05:31 PM
I don't know about rifle ammunition but in my neck of the woods, Cabelas is the very most expensive place I could possibly buy handgun ammo...and not just by a little bit.

TheDriver
January 21, 2010, 06:04 PM
I drive about 15 minutes to a big Cabelas when I am at the family homestead. I wouldn't go there much if it was an hour away.

clarence222
January 21, 2010, 06:52 PM
There is a Cabelas in St Louis that we visit when we are there, its a 3 hour drive so only get once or twice a year. There is a Bass Pro 2 hours away in Nashville, if I'm in town I make it a point to go by there. Last time I was there the price on ammo wasn't that bad. I bought 2 boxes of remington 357 hollow points for about 17 a box of 50.

ol' scratch
January 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
No, but I would and HAVE driven two hours to go to the CMP. I then spend another two hours fondling all the hardware.

Dokkalfar
January 21, 2010, 08:33 PM
Well I'm on the far NE side of Dallas, and the only Cabelas around is north of Ft. Worth. Only an hour by Google Maps though. I haven't gone there yet though, I can find cheaper ammo by me, usually at Wally World, .270 and .22s. If not, you can usually find it cheaper online. From what I've heard though, its plenty fun to stop by and visit

bonza
January 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
It is only in the last couple of years that there has been a Cabelas' store within easy driving distance for me. For years before that I anticipated my first visit like a kid dreaming about Disneyland! My first visit was probably 2004 when I drove to Indiana for a shoot & called into the store in Mitchell, SD. In 2007 after a similar trip we stopped off at the Cabelas' in Sidney, NB. Since then I've been to the store in Post Falls, ID & the one nearest to me (1.5 hrs) in Shelton, WA. They were all nice stores & I picked up a few odds 'n ends when I was there, but I always found them a bit expensive on most items & found Sportsman's Warehouse more to my liking. I was in Boise, ID a couple of months ago & must have driven past the Cabelas' store a half dozen times but never bothered to go in.....I think the nolvety has worn off! I will still buy from them online occasionally when they have something I can't get cheaper anywhere else.

Joshua M.
January 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
I have to drive past the Bass Pro Shops in Toledo, to go to Cabelas in Dundee MI, Bass Pro has alot better prices on ammo unless Cabelas is having a big sale. Seems that the guns that I looked at are cheaper at BPS also. They had 250 Rem UMC mega packs of .45acp for $94 every time I go there, not nowhere near the price of 2 years ago, but alot better than 1 year ago...

Golden_006
January 22, 2010, 09:41 AM
So do you fellas just order in bulk online and have them ship to your house? I can't do that so it's a moot point.

Bass pro is 3 hours away and as far as I know -- they don't have the internet price and then pick it up in the store like cabellas on 500 rounds of 7.62x39 for 154 dollars. I've seen Cheaper Than Dirt has it for $110 but not including shipping which I figure to be at least $25 for Hazard materials. I want 500 rounds not a few boxes.

Va Shooter
January 22, 2010, 09:51 AM
dusty14u, I'm referring to the Hampton store, but just went in Richmond store with same results. They do have a lot of reloading equiptment. I'll buy ammo from here.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

use to work there part time last summer, best prices in Hampton Roads if your close. They have ammo/guns in store not on website. Sorry for hi-jacking thread:o

huntsman
January 22, 2010, 10:16 AM
Would you drive 2 hours to go to cabellas for ammo and consider it a good deal?

Only if I had the cash to spend big. I've been to two different Cabela’s and the closest was 3 hours away.

I'm trying to organize a group to go to help defray the fuel costs, if we go it'll be an all day thing and I need close to $700. cash to cover my stuff and NO Wives will be going.

Mike Drew
January 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
I have a Cabelas about 3 miles away, last time I was in I used an IPhone app "Red Lazer" and scanned in a bunch of ammo. It then looks in other stores and the internet to find better deals. Cabelas isn't that great of a deal unless you have some type of CC reward card or 20% off.

MarineOne
January 22, 2010, 11:55 AM
Cabelas isn't that great of a deal unless you have some type of CC reward card or 20% off.

I've got their CC and use it everytime I buy something, it just keeps racking up the points. I decided to use them last year and was able to take $100 off my XDm because of it ..... and of course since I used it for the XDm, it turned right around and put another $450 or so worth of points right back on the card.

-K

Golden_006
January 22, 2010, 12:54 PM
I have a 10% coupon if I go in on NRA weekend. But I don't think you can use it if you buy off the internet and just pick it up in the store. :(

Where else can you get ammo cheap?

NMGonzo
January 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
I order online and I am happy to see the UPS truck show up with my ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to Cabellas for Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!