Utahans, email KSL

PDA

mljdeckard
January 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
KSL is reporting in the case of the murdered Millard County deputy that the killer had earlier told someone he would use a "AK-47 assault rifle" if he was caught.

Remind KSL that the rifle was neither an AK-47 nor an assault rifle.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=205

Remember what Goebbels said; "If you tell a lie enough times, it becomes the truth."

If you enjoyed reading about "Utahans, email KSL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
January 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
This is what I emailed. You can copy me word for word if you want, but if that's all your writing skills will let you do, you need help. :)

I have emailed your feedback section before about this issue, and I am becoming irritated that it is still necessary to do so.

The term 'assault rifle' or 'assault weapon' is a term that does not apply to weapons commonly available to civilians. In a story that aired today and last night you state that the suspect in the case of the murdered Millard County deputy had earlier indicated intent to use an "AK-47 assault rifle" if confronted by law enforcement.

AK-47 assault rifles are military weapons manufactured for and used by military forces. The rare examples of this rifle available to Americans are worth close to $15,000, and it is HIGHLY unlikely that the suspect in this case had or used one.

The similar rifles available to American civilians are either entirely different or re-manufactured and re-branded as different rifles, neither automatic nor easily modified to BE automatic. In using the term "AK-47 assault rifle", you are feeding misinformation that feeds anti-gun sentiment towards law-abiding gun owners, because you are spreading the impression that we carry and use fully-automatic machine guns, which we do not.

I know that you know better. I have previously contacted you about this issue, and I can't be the only one. I got in the habit of watching KSL news because Nourse, Welti, and James were the favorites of my parents. Not only are they all gone now, also gone is the quality in broadcasting which won KSL national awards for excellence twenty years ago. Watching your newscasts now is an excercise in spotting gaffes and missed cues. I have decided that it is time to give the other networks a closer look.

Regretfully,

deckard, Ogden, Utah.

spartanpride
January 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Just sent them the letter you have posted above. It seems to have all the right words! :) Thanks for the heads up, and for letting me use your letter as my writing skills aren't the best! ;)

mljdeckard
January 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
No problem. This is only as important as we tell them it is.

Girodin
January 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
I understand your point but I am afraid it has gotten to the point that what your telling them is akin to telling them someone didn't put a band-aid on their cut, but rather an adhesive bandage or that a person did not in fact use a kleenex but rather a tissue.

mljdeckard
January 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
I won't quit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Utahans, email KSL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!