Moly/bullet choice

PDA

lopezni
January 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
Is it worth it to moly coat your bullets? As far as an effect on accuracy, I don't care if it reduces fouling or any other benefit.

Also, can anyone recommend a 50-53gr .224 hollow point, the main quality I am looking for is a consistent weight. The current ones I am using show variances of as much as 0.8grn.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moly/bullet choice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 21, 2010, 06:13 PM
No.

Moly has no effect on accuracy.
It's supposed benefit was to prevent jacket fouling and reduce pressure.

It was a big fade a few years ago, but many found the moly bore fouling worse then any benefit it might provide, if any.

Any of the major brands of HP match bullets should provide all the accuracy you can get.
Also, the plastic-tip varmint bullets from Hornady & Nosler are very very good.

Slight variation in weight is not a deal breaker as far as accuracy is concerned.

rc

matrem
January 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
My personal (& others I know well) experience has been:
Moly coated bullets are in NO way more accurate. (ever!)
Moly coated bullets are (usually) a bit slower with equal charge.(pressure is supposed to slightly drop?, no 1st hand experience with that)
Moly coated bullets leave a "bad" residue in bbl.(though peak accuracy can remain a bit longer)
IMO.. They are nothing but a "fad"!

If you enjoyed reading about "Moly/bullet choice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!