How much ammo do you need?

PDA

The_Pretender
January 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
Well, we've all been there. Most people are always quick to answer "as much as possible" or "one more box" or something to that effect.

I was wondering more, do you have a specific amount in mind?

For example, with myself I found I always hover in a given area. If it dips below, it's time to get more!

100 shells for each gauge of shotgun
200 rounds for each caliber handgun
200 rounds for medium non semi-auto hunting/sporting rifles
100 rounds for heavy non semi-auto rifles
500 minimum for each semi-auto rifle

If you enjoyed reading about "How much ammo do you need?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paintballdude902
January 21, 2010, 07:08 PM
how ever much i can afford

ConstitutionCowboy
January 21, 2010, 07:11 PM
100 shells for each gauge of shotgun
200 rounds for each caliber handgun
200 rounds for medium non semi-auto hunting/sporting rifles
100 rounds for heavy non semi-auto rifles
500 minimum for each semi-auto rifle

That's enough for a day at the range ......

Woody

Tommygunn
January 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
How much do I need?

More than I have .... .... .....

michiganfan
January 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
Woody LOL. But u r right. Life would be cheaper if I got a Mistress and gave up shooting.

DMK
January 21, 2010, 07:21 PM
At least enough to ride out those times when you can't find any in the stores and when you do find it the price is ridiculously high.

You know, like last year...

So two or three years worth.

wishin
January 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've got to admit that I'm a last minute shopper when it comes to ammo. I'm one of those who was hardest hit when the shortage hit. I suppose that means "militia" in the true sense of the word is not me from a preparedness viewpoint.:uhoh:

youngda9
January 21, 2010, 07:30 PM
More.....DUH

Bailey Guns
January 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Technically speaking, I probably don't "need" any. How much do I want? That's another story altogether. And I have a lot. What can I say? I like to shoot.

jlott00
January 21, 2010, 07:41 PM
id say 500-1k of handgun and 2k semi rifle. that would make me breath a little easy. but ofcourse more woud be better.

Floppy_D
January 21, 2010, 07:42 PM
I was wondering more, do you have a specific amount in mind?

That's where you're going to get nothing but relative answers. Yes, I have a specific answer in mind, like everyone else. That's two years+ worth of ammo/firearm, more for some. :)

45Frank
January 21, 2010, 07:45 PM
If it's a cold winter never less then 5-10,000 rounds.
Enough to last the summer.

NMGonzo
January 21, 2010, 07:45 PM
Years worth.

Shoot the .45 more than anything. Because is the easiest to service in case I break anything in it ... if I break anything at all.

Got a 9mm that I carry a lot.

Got a .380 that really ... I don't need to practice anymore with that.

Got a .44 magnum ... really ... I am not likely to use it in SD.

Got a couple .357's .... feeding those is a matter of money, not availability.

How much practice one needs with a snubby .357 at 3 meters?

All comes down on how much do I need to practice for HD or SD.

I shoot maybe 50 to 200 rounds per session.

Sometimes is not every month.

Ah ... forgot about the Mosin. I shoot maybe 20 rounds per session. I still have 10 sessions before I buy another can for it.

blkbrd666
January 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
1000 rounds per caliber unless you have 3 or more guns of a particular caliber, in which case you need 5000 rounds of that caliber...my personal policy.

StarDust1
January 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
I learned my lesson with the AWB, ever since getting burned on that I swore to never get caught wanting again.
As an example, this time last year, I had a tad over 27,000 rounds of 9mm ammunition alone! It was all factory premium stuff I had accumulated from internet wholesalers, Federal HST, Hydra-shok, 115gr 9BPLE +P+, Winchester Ranger(including 127gr +P+ RA9TA), Speer Gold Dot ect..
I sold a ton of it on Glocktalk, you wouldn't believe the money I was getting for a simple box of fifty, so I won't tell you, but it was a lot, and I made a small fortune selling it that way...My advice to anyone who thinks that you can just wait it out, you can't! Either buy a press or get busy laying it away as I did, though you'll not ever again be able to lay your hands on Winchester 127gr +P+ RA9TA for just $14.99 per box as I did....

Manco
January 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
I don't keep a lot of ammo on hand for my one measly handgun. At any given time, I'll usually have around 100 rounds of my primary defensive JHP, maybe another 100 rounds of other assorted JHPs I've tried out, and 500 or so rounds of FMJ for the range in case ammo becomes scarce (I'll stockpile more if the "shortage" lets up and prices go down). Obviously I could use the FMJ rounds for combat in a pinch, but if I need that many, then I'm probably in real trouble and should have bugged out when I still had a chance! ;)

Jim_100
January 21, 2010, 07:57 PM
I feel like I need more ammo looking at the numbers posted.

SteveCase
January 21, 2010, 08:00 PM
Easy answer. As much as I need, no more no less

RumRunner
January 21, 2010, 08:04 PM
more. always more.

Joshua M.
January 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Like the others above...more than I have...I got a real problem, when I buy more I seem to think I need to shoot more...But really, I like to keep approx 1000 rounds of each, except shotgun, then maybe a couple hundred. I bought 3 cases of .380 about 3 years ago, the most I gave was lik $7 a box of 50, I got rid of my main .380, and thought hell I don't need 2000 rounds of .380 for a P3AT, so I traded it off about a year and a half ago...you know about 2 months before the shortage:banghead::banghead::banghead:man I could have made some jack:cuss:

Onward Allusion
January 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
I personally would like to have a few thousand rounds of the common calibers (9x18mm, 9mm, 40S&W, .45ACP, 7.62x39, .223). Probably 250 rounds of the mouse gun calibers (.25, .32, .380), and maybe 20,000 rounds of 22LR...but that's just me...

The_Pretender (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=105867)

mokin
January 21, 2010, 08:47 PM
I'd like to have more. I've already got more than I can carry so I don't see really needing more.

thriftyjoe
January 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
For the real TEOTWAWKI its been said
1000 rounds per pistol
10,000 per battle rifle

Redneck with a 40
January 21, 2010, 09:01 PM
With the exception of shotgun ammo, I like to keep 1000 rounds per caliber, minimum. For shotgun, I'm comfortable with 200 buckshot shells.

RETG
January 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
It's not, 'how much ammo do you need?' It is, 'how much ammo will you need?'

BCC
January 21, 2010, 09:16 PM
I try to buy 200 rounds for every hundred I use. If not in the caliber I shot (because of availability), then in a caliber I have.

taliv
January 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
i prefer to think of it in 'minutes' instead of 'rounds' these days

for 308 for example, i have around 3.5 minutes of ammo (which translates to about 2000 rnds) and am looking to buy components for at least 10 minutes
for 223, i've got maybe 12 minutes (but then, i go through 223 a lot faster)

edit: i've got at least a day's worth of 22lr, but that's because it takes so dang long to load the mags

M2 Carbine
January 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
A lot, a whole lot.
I have a home range and shoot on the average of 4-5 days a week.

I give new shooters and friends ammo, 22, 38, 9mm, 45, .223, etc.
Not counting thousands of 22LR and a bunch of .223, in not too many months they have put a big dent in just these three cans.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/45and38reloads.jpg

BHP FAN
January 21, 2010, 09:27 PM
''How much ammo do you need? ''

ALL of it.

dom1104
January 21, 2010, 09:28 PM
wow all these numbers are INSANE.

10k rounds... lol.

50 rounds of SD ammo for each caliber of pistol is more than anyone is LIKELY to shoot in anger. more for testing, familiarity etc.

That would be a minimum.

And for a civilian to go thru a vests worth of .223 in a bad situation, it had better be ACTUALLY the end of the world.

I keep 10 30 round mags. And that, honestly should last a lifetime of "SD incidents."

I am talking completly statistically for the world as we know it now living in the USA.

The rest is just whatever you need for fun, practice and hunting.

Personally I stock up on 22lr pretty deep. its cheap, its fun and its great for hunting small game.

The rest is simply whatever you can afford.

But 1000 rounds per pistol of SD ammo is.... a little much.

M2 Carbine
January 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
But 1000 rounds per pistol of SD ammo is.... a little much.
That kind of thinking is why people are paying $12-$20+ for ammo and I'm shooting $3.50-$4.50 a box ammo.:D

boatme99
January 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Don't like to get below under 500 rounds per gun.

GunsAmerica Fan
January 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
2000 rounds .45acp
2000 rounds 9mm
200 rounds 12ga OO and OOO buckshot
2000 rounds .223
2000 rounds .308
2000 rounds .30-06 (garands)
3000 rounds 7.62x54R
(I have 30 M44 nagants to arm my friends so I don't have to protect their arses if heck broke loose)

Plus .45LC for my cowboy guns, and even balls, powder and caps for my cap&ball revolvers.

It is nice to finally be able to find ammo reasonably priced again. I need to double my stores and start shooting again lol.

danprkr
January 21, 2010, 10:25 PM
All I can get +

Ed Ames
January 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
I bought a gun in a new (for me) caliber a week ago. First stop was to get 100rds for it. UPS dropped off another 1000rds or so this afternoon.

BUT....

I have portability on my mind right now. I don't want more of any one type of ammo than I can (somewhat) comfortably lug with one hand, up and down stairs. That 1000+ rds weighs out at about 35lbs, which is on the heavy side for my current mood, but tolerable. I probably average 20lbs or so for each type of rifle ammo, up to twice that for other types.

The_Pretender
January 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah, that is what I failed to mention in the initial post. I know what I would want to have, and I know what I would get all costs aside. But in regards to how much do I really need, it's another story.

I didn't want to stock up and have some just sit there that never even gets used. I guess you could rotate it out, but it's the same in theory.

W.E.G.
January 21, 2010, 11:09 PM
This much for plinking, then I gotta dig into the serious supplies.

http://www.dansammo.com/images/westwing.jpg

cornman
January 21, 2010, 11:23 PM
100 ea. and 1000 .22. All these survivalists who think they need more are not thinking. Anyone who is going to need to use more than 100 rnds. in a SHTF senario is not going to survive.

TJ AK-74
January 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
Ummm... isn't that pic from AIM Surplus, CTD, J&G, or some other online retailer?:scrutiny:

Nice pic anyway.:what:

jeepmor
January 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
For what?

Combat - how many, how long, what quarters.....ad nauseum. What kind of campaign are you running here?

TEOTWAWKI - You burrowed in or out seeking new safe ground through hostile country?

Plinking - As much as you can afford I gather.

I think W.E.G. has it about right if we all had our druthers.

Aran
January 21, 2010, 11:37 PM
I'm down to under a thousand rounds of everything. I need to get more money to acquire more ammo just to be on the safe side.

Big Bill
January 21, 2010, 11:40 PM
How much ammo do you need?I don't need any! I don't shoot guns! I don't own guns either. (Do you seriously think I'd actually answer this question?)

Ed Ames
January 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
All these survivalists who think they need more are not thinking. Anyone who is going to need to use more than 100 rnds. in a SHTF senario is not going to survive.

Interesting perspective, coming at the end of a year long ammo drought that left people who only had 100rds on hand unable to go shooting at all without depleting their entire store of ammo. :rolleyes:

A more realistic perspective is that 100rds is a pleasant afternoon at the range, solo. You need a bit more to bring friends along. So if I've only got 100rds on hand, I've got to buy more before every single range trip. That, in turn, means I've got to pay the retail price of the day... no shopping, no bulk discounts, no ammo at all if the store is out. That's just dumb.

It's just ignorance to have only exactly what you need on hand. You don't buy a single roll of toilet paper even if a roll of toilet paper lasts through several uses. Why would you only buy enough ammo for a single use?

shotgunjoel
January 21, 2010, 11:55 PM
Right now I have enough bird shot to last 2ish years. I'm down to 10 rounds of slugs. .22 short I have 250ish right now. I'd like that to be 1000ish (I have 2 guns that shoot it.) I have 2000ish 22lr right now. I need to find an affordable 22lr brand that works well in all of my guns and get about a 30 cal can full of that brand. In 30 carbine I have 15 rounds at the moment (eek) but I have 500 rounds arriving from the CMP next week. I'd like to get 30 Carbine up to about 2000, but it's so expensive now.

BCC
January 22, 2010, 12:14 AM
100 ea. and 1000 .22. All these survivalists who think they need more are not thinking. Anyone who is going to need to use more than 100 rnds. in a SHTF senario is not going to survive.
I'm definitely not a survivalist, but I do have a fair whack of ammo. Very little of it is SD stuff. It's for plinking and range fun. This weekend took my son in law and his dad to the range and we went thru 350 rounds. Nice to not even think about it.

Clifford
January 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
For my center fire guns I usually have 100-200 rounds on hand at any given time. The one exeption to that is my match gun I usually have 300-600 rounds on hand for that one just so I only load once a month for it. I load all my own centerfire metalic cases and my practice ammo is my SHTF ammo, semi-wadcutters and round nose for the handguns and fmj & SP for the rifles.

For Rimfire I usually have 50-100 rounds of CCI hypervelocity HP's for coyoties and maybe a brick of plinking stuff. For the shotguns I only keep a box of 25 #7 shot and a box of 25 #4 shot for my .410, the 12 gauge has 25-50 rounds of #7 1/2 shot and 10 round of oo buck also 5 rounds of #4 shot.

David E
January 22, 2010, 12:29 AM
It depends on the gun's purpose and situation.

That said, everyday dynamics have changed.

How much do you think you should have if ammo or supplies dried up? Is it enough to do what you want to do?

If you knew you couldn't easily restock, how much would you practice with your current supply?

The OP asked for specific numbers, not ambiguity.

Serious handguns need 500, serious rifles need 1000 rds each, MINIMUM.

M2 Carbine
January 22, 2010, 12:36 AM
Looking at a SHTF scenario ammo isn't just for shooting. Forget Silver and Gold, chances are a couple bushels of corn will cost a brick of 22LR.
Probably all my neighbors have guns but few, if any, have more than a few boxes of ammo. I figure about the time I need it I could get a horse for a thousand rounds of 9mm.

NG VI
January 22, 2010, 12:37 AM
All of it

JEB
January 22, 2010, 12:40 AM
for SD ammo i try to only get the stuff i like (speer gold dots) an i get it whenever possible...which is not too often around here. for hunting ammo (12ga slugs, 30-30, and .22mag) i try to keep a pretty good stock (at least enough to sight in and still hunt every year for about 3 years).

funny story actually; i showed up at a friend's house to sight in this year and brought 2 boxes of winchester 30-30's. he made the comment "dang you brought a lot of ammo!" i just blew it off and got down to business getting sighted in. when we were both done i made a comment to the effect of "i think i might try to pick up a couple more boxes before the season starts." no big deal to me but my frind just looks stumped and says "how much ammo do you have?" i told him i proble had 130 not counting what i brought with me. his mouth almost dropped and he just couldnt imagine why i would ever need that much ammo. i explained that i dont like to run out and that i am very particular on what i hunt with and i cant always find it so i buy it when i can. he still just dosent get it. i asked how much he has and he looks at the box in his hand for a second and then says "bout 7. that should get my three deer for the season." true, i too could get by with less than a box of ammo but i really dont like that feeling that i might not have enough.

oh well....to each his own!

Big Bill
January 22, 2010, 12:58 AM
All these survivalists who think they need more are not thinking. Anyone who is going to need to use more than 100 rnds. in a SHTF senario is not going to survive.Ah, but you forget all those relatives, buddies and neighbors that will need ammo to help you defend your turf.

Don't ya know that the progressives in charge of this country believe like Mao that: "Power comes from the barrel of a gun!"Looking at a SHTF scenario ammo isn't just for shooting. Forget Silver and Gold, chances are a couple bushels of corn will cost a brick of 22LR.
Probably all my neighbors have guns but few, if any, have more than a few boxes of ammo. I figure about the time I need it I could get a horse for a thousand rounds of 9mm. Carbine - you haven't seen "The Road" yet have you? I don't think you'll give a brick of ammo for a bushel of corn, etc. If anything, all it will take is one bullet, especially, if that farmer dosen't have any.

thriftyjoe
January 22, 2010, 01:13 AM
With the ever increasing price of ammo I dont see a reason not to stock up... think about it... its a good investment... and it makes great trading at all times...

Ed Ames
January 22, 2010, 02:01 AM
Carbine - you haven't seen "The Road" yet have you? I don't think you'll give a brick of ammo for a bushel of corn, etc. If anything, all it will take is one bullet, especially, if that farmer dosen't have any.

Well, ignoring the innuendo, I doubt things will go quite that far. Farmers who can actually grow corn, especially in a post-industrial scenario, typically have access to a lot of what a budding chemist needs to push lead.

Aran
January 22, 2010, 02:12 AM
100 rounds is maybe ten minutes at the range. What the hell will 100 rounds do me? Not a whole lot.

M2 Carbine
January 22, 2010, 02:33 AM
Carbine - you haven't seen "The Road" yet have you? I don't think you'll give a brick of ammo for a bushel of corn, etc. If anything, all it will take is one bullet, especially, if that farmer dosen't have any.
No, haven't seen it but got it ordered on Netflix.

Now if I was that farmer, and I could be, I'd have some backup during any trading.:)

Boba Fett
January 22, 2010, 02:51 AM
The way I see it is this:

Have more than you need and pray you never need it.

denfoote
January 22, 2010, 03:05 AM
As much as I can get!!

CCWB
January 22, 2010, 07:29 AM
I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 1.......maybe 2...... Airplane hangers full. Various calibers for everything I shoot as welll as a little for re-sale.

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 07:48 AM
I dont see a reason not to stock up

Being poor, no money, broke, struggling to make ends meet....

There are a few.

SharpsDressedMan
January 22, 2010, 08:01 AM
I talked to a national level IDPA shooter from my state, and asked how much he practiced. He said about 1000 rounds a week through his pair of comp'd .45's, or roughly 52,000 a year. He bought cast bullets and loaded on a Dillon, and it was about $60-$65 a week back then (1980's). Now that was just his IDPA addiction. So for many shooters, with different applications and diversions, it's going to vary a lot. I seem to discharge about 7000-10,000 a year of various calibers, and I feel like I'm just maintaining. I load most of them in the winter.

M2 Carbine
January 22, 2010, 09:14 AM
I dont see a reason not to stock up

There are a few.
Been there, done that.

Actually I never have made the money, that I could spare, that would allow me to shoot as much as I wanted.
We use to buy a few shotgun shells at a time and bought partial boxes of 22 shells (from the corner grocery store :D ).

As soon as I bought my first S&W 38 (1960) I bought a $14 Lyman 310 reloading tool. That thing was really slow but I thought it was terrific because it allowed me to shoot a lot at a very low cost.
I used the Lyman for several years until I wore out the dies and had $10 to spare for a used "C Press". I used the C Press for several years until I could buy a new Lyman press. I sold the C Press for $10.

I learned that to be able to shoot more factory ammo and reloaded ammo, the secret was to stretch the budget and buy in bulk when it was on sale.
So that's why now when people are paying outrageous prices for ammo, if they can get it, I'm shooting reloads for $2.00-$4.00 a box and shooting factory ammo for $1.00-$4.48 a box.

So, sometimes the need for buying cases of ammo isn't because you need it today but because you will need it in a couple years.

A couple years ago a blind man could see what was coming (maybe not something as outrageous as obama, but higher ammo prices).
At a gun show a friend and I were trying to decide if we should spend the money to buy a lot of bullets or a whole lot of bullets (it seems money is always tight).
My friend said, "If you don't like today's prices, you will really hate next year's prices".
We bought the dealer out.
Now the same bullets cost 3-4 times what we paid.

huntsman
January 22, 2010, 09:23 AM

I'm comfortable with this:

500 rounds per handgun
200 rounds for rifle
2000 rounds .22lr
Components to reload 1000 shotshells
100 rounds of shotgun slugs

As long as I can MAINTAIN this level I'll be satisfied.

Manco
January 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
I don't need any! I don't shoot guns! I don't own guns either. (Do you seriously think I'd actually answer this question?)

Uh oh, I guess for me it might come down to a scenario where I'd say "I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire 700 shots or only 699?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track, myself. You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?" ;)

Switching gears, I wonder how the number of rounds that one stockpiles would factor into a court case involving a self-defense shooting. I generally don't hear about this so maybe it's a non-issue, but the news media sure likes to make a big deal out of killers having even just a few hundred rounds at home (hundreds of rounds on their person is one thing, but I'm talking about when their dwellings are searched).

delta53
January 22, 2010, 09:31 AM
Than guns the guns you have, I don' beleve you can ever have enough and that thinking leeds to reloading fire:

David E
January 22, 2010, 10:51 AM
All these survivalists who think they need more are not thinking. Anyone who is going to need to use more than 100 rnds. in a SHTF senario (sp)is not going to survive.

wow all these numbers are INSANE.

10k rounds... lol.

50 rounds of SD ammo for each caliber of pistol is more than anyone is LIKELY to shoot in anger. more for testing, familiarity etc.

That would be a minimum.

And for a civilian to go thru a vests worth of .223 in a bad situation, it had better be ACTUALLY the end of the world.

First of all, the OP said nothing about SHTF, End of the World or even SD scenarios, so why do you guys focus on that? :confused:

Second of all...........don't you guys ever practice ? I went to the range earlier this week and fired 300 rds or so. When was the last time YOU guys went ?

If folks are happy with only 50 rds per gun or caliber, that's fine. Shortsighted and naive on their part, but it's fine with me.

If the lingering ammo shortage didn't open their eyes, all the better for me, as I'll be able to find what I want next time I go looking for ammo. :D :D :D

cornman
January 22, 2010, 11:29 AM
True he did not say anything about SHTF stuff. But without that in mind why ask the question. If you use a lot for your shooting hobby then of course it depends and it is not a good question. Like a thread that asks how much gasoline do you need.

MikeyM
January 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
What amazed me, was that some of us did not stock up on that 1000 rounds per gun BEFORE the current federal administration came to power. That some of us waited until AFTER the election to strip the store's shelves, while others went home empty handed. I'm going to advocate for 1000 rounds of each gun caliber, to put into storage and rotate as used with new stock. Just in case of an emergency. As a buffer. Like you do with meds, food, water, clothing, and fuel. I guess it depends on your level of need to be prepared, and for how long, and then what you can afford to put into your pantry, how much you'll be owning at once. I think it's just as critical to practice, clean, and familiarize yourself and your family with the guns you own, as well. My 2 cents.

NotSoFast
January 22, 2010, 11:43 AM
I like the guy that said a year's worth. Let's see. I shoot at least 200 rounds through my handgun every time I take it x 52 weeks x 2 days a week.
I shoot at least 100 rounds through my rifle every time I take it x 52 weeks x 2 days a week.

Lessee, that's over 20,000 and over 10,000 rounds per handgun and per rifle. Guess I better start supporting my economy more. :D

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
100 rounds is maybe ten minutes at the range. What the hell will 100 rounds do me? Not a whole lot.

Really? I can make 50 last over an hour. When using may carry guns, I like to practice drawing from concealment, clearing FTE/FTF's, shooting and moving... tap, rack, shoot.... Maybe it is because I have very limited funds, and only reload one caliber but I think it is more in the quality of the practice time then the quantity of shots you take.

But, I apologize. You maybe be talking about using a machine gun or something. I am focused on handgun use.

I just do not have 1000's of dollars to spend on ammo like some of you guys who shoot 20,000 to 30,000 per gun. Even if you reload, that is a significant investment. I am so jealous that I do not have that type of disposable income, but I make due with what I have. 100 rounds can make for a very good trip to the range.

So, that all being said... I keep about 2000 rounds of .22, I currently have 25 rounds of #7 game loads, 50 rounds of 9mm, 20 rounds of 7.62x39, 10 rounds of .357 (5 in the gun and 5 in a moon clip) and 20 rounds of 7.62x54r.

I reload for the 7.62x54r, but I only have 20 brass casing.

CoRoMo
January 22, 2010, 12:27 PM

More than my adversaries.

BushyGuy
January 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
1000 rounds per gun would be satisfactory for me till i can replenish ammo. if TEOTWAWKI happens i can always stock up on more ammo immidiately.

David E
January 22, 2010, 01:31 PM
So, that all being said... I keep about 2000 rounds of .22, I currently have 25 rounds of #7 game loads, 50 rounds of 9mm, 20 rounds of 7.62x39, 10 rounds of .357 (5 in the gun and 5 in a moon clip) and 20 rounds of 7.62x54r.

There are ways to get your stock up that don't hurt. Like, every time to Walmart, or every other time at least, buy a box of the one you shoot the most first. Once you have, say, 250 rds of that, get the next caliber/guage. Repeat until you have 500 rds each, at least, of the serious rounds. 10 rds of .357 is really none, since you cannot fire even a single round in practice and maintain the gun capacity with one full reload. :eek:

I've found that many folks that complain about not having money for ammo usually do so as they're unloading their 2nd 30 can case of beer from the car trunk, and/or their 5th carton of cigarettes. It just shows where their priorities are.

If that's not you, then do the "every other trip" thing. It'll accumulate faster than you think.

David E
January 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
if TEOTWAWKI happens i can always stock up on more ammo immidiately.

Immediately ? How so ?

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 01:35 PM
I've found that many folks that complain about not having money for ammo usually do so as they're unloading their 2nd 30 can case of beer from the car trunk, and/or their 5th carton of cigarettes. It just shows where their priorities are.

No, I dont drink any more or smoke. I am the mortgage, car payment, 2 kids in every activity under the sun, medical bills, 30 minute commute with $3 a gallon gas and heating oil kind of guy :) But... I am just whining. I have plenty of fun with the little I have. I dont shoot all that much.

What I REALLY need to do is stop buying guns. I have one more to purchase and then I will start focusing on ammo.

Ed Ames
January 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
Or, as an alternative to the wal-mart ammo thing, you can stock up on components and put together a bare minimum reloading set-up, and make what you need.

My standard reloading press for pistol and some rifle is a lee hand-press. They cost about $25, or $40ish with everything else you need except dies and components. Dies cost $25-$30 a set, so figure $80 for tools, another $100 for components (that'll get you 500 .357 bullets, 1000 primers, and a pound of powder around here) and, assuming you keep your current brass, you are good. Yeah, $180 is a lot sometimes, but the most expensive single item (the bullets) is about $50 or you can buy fewer at a go.

Of course you can spend more, and arguably should, but the barrier to reloading is much lower than most people credit.

M2 Carbine
January 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
Being at a somewhat advanced age, I figure having enough ammo on hand to last me until I die is about right.

Some days I feel I'm going to have thousands of rounds left over.
Then other days I feel I need to stock up thousands of more rounds.

Mostly the former. :D

stchman
January 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
At least 1000 rounds for each firearm and 5000 rounds for each .22LR firearm.

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 01:52 PM
My standard reloading press for pistol and some rifle is a lee hand-press. They cost about $25, or $40ish with everything else you need except dies and components. Dies cost $25-$30 a set, so figure $80 for tools, another $100 for components (that'll get you 500 .357 bullets, 1000 primers, and a pound of powder around here) and, assuming you keep your current brass, you are good. Yeah, $180 is a lot sometimes, but the most expensive single item (the bullets) is about $50 or you can buy fewer at a go.

Yeah, I think that is good plan Ed. I need (haha need....) a 1911. I have a budget, and I am very close to having enough saved. At that point I have all of my basic gun types covered to meet my particular needs and I am going to focus on ammo and accesories.

I use a Lee handload for the 7.62x54r but I think I want to go to a "real" setup. I will have about $200 in March and I hope to be able to get all the tools, supplies and components with that to at least start with one caliber. I am leaning towards the .357 as it is a revolver and my understanding is handloads for a semi need to be spot on to function properly.

If this is not the case, I will likley start with 9mm as I have 3 9mm's....

stchman
January 22, 2010, 01:58 PM
Since we are quoting numbers, here are mine. They are modest:

.22LR - 5500
9mm - 1850
7.62x39 - 2700
.223 Remington - 2430
7.62x25 - 1700
7.62x54R - 3300
.380ACP - 600
.44 Magnum - 675

They are modest but they serve me.

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 02:23 PM
Nevermind.

Boba Fett
January 22, 2010, 03:38 PM
double post

hammerklavier
January 22, 2010, 04:02 PM

A few boxes more than you are likely to shoot soon. (Adjust size of boxes and definition of soon to meet your needs.)

clarence222
January 22, 2010, 04:08 PM
I don't have a set number of rounds that I keep on hand. What I try to do is buy some every month. If I'm wanting to buy a new fun of course I'll by less ammo. Do I need as much as I have on hand now? No however I don't expect it to get any cheaper in he future nothing else has. Every time I visit a store that sells ammo I buy atleast 1 box

lobo9er
January 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
ever think the amounts that get posted get saved somewhere with your IP address? did my foil hat just get a little tighter?

TonyDedo
January 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
How much do you "need?" Well, it depends on what your needs are.

For self defense guns, I keep two boxes of defensive ammo, plus whatevers in the gun, magazines, tube, etc. When I take one of these guns to the range I shoot what's in the gun, then reload with defensive ammo before I leave. When one box is empty, I buy another, so I always have at least a box + my loaded gun on hand.

I figure that's more than enough for any self defense situation. I don't stockpile ammo or tin foil hats for the end of the world.

I do keep a minimum of one case of ammo onhand for every caliber I shoot - anytime I get close to opening that case, I'll buy another and cycle the old case out, so I always have between 1,000 and 2,000 rounds available. I figure a trip to the range or a training class is about 500 rounds per day, so I have a 2+ day cushion if I ever want to shoot, need to teach or want to take a class but can't get to the store. It also lets me be more discriminating when it comes to pricing.

Of course, I reload the calibers I shoot the most, and buy reloading components in bulk. Lets not get into how much of THAT is lying around.

Big Bill
January 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
No, haven't seen it but got it ordered on Netflix.

Now if I was that farmer, and I could be, I'd have some backup during any trading.The movie was crap. It paints a far out bleak picture of nuclear winter.

I hope it doesn't come to farmers trading under such circumstances. It certainly wouldn't be something very desirable.

However, concerning the OP, I don't think it's anybody's business how much of anything I have, whether ammo or food or money or anything else. I'm surprised by the audacity of some of the personal questions that are asked here and elsewhere that are no business of anyone else.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
January 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you haven't had to reinforce the floor, you don't have enough.

redneck2
January 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
I have enough components to load maybe 10-12k of pistol and rifle. Probably another 3-5k of factory rounds on hand (including .22's). This includes shotgun, which makes up maybe 1k.

Big thing to me are primers and powder. I've got over 12k of primers and about 40# of powder. Brass can be recycled.

If you aren't stocking up on primers, you're fooling yourself. Don't cry when the next shortage hits.http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/Indianaoutdoorsman/IMG_0432.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/Indianaoutdoorsman/IMG_0434.jpg

oldfool
January 22, 2010, 06:21 PM
Immediately ? How so ?
same way it's been done for the last 6 million years

Big Bill
January 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hey redneck - now that I know what you've got, can you post your address so I know where to come if I run out? :evil:

stchman - I also need your address. :)

redneck2
January 22, 2010, 06:35 PM
Sure...

if you're foolish enough to try to steal it...

You can have it all, one bullet at a time

Now, there's a reason I posted the pix. I suspect a LOT of guys here think 10k of ammo is so absurd that it's out of the question. The pix only show maybe 25% or less of my stash. Some of those other drawers are full too.

You don't get this much over night. Buy a little here and there and it adds up.

There were literally hundreds of threads bitching about the ammo shortage just a few months ago. Wake up. It's gonna happen again. If you don't reload, learn. Buy factory ammo that you won't reload while you can.

Big Bill
January 22, 2010, 06:42 PM
Sure...

if you're foolish enough to try to steal it...

You can have it all, one bullet at a time I was Kiddin! But, anyway, you should worry more about govt. jackboots. Remember the old saying: "loose lips sink ships..."

ConstitutionCowboy
January 22, 2010, 06:59 PM

There are a few.

For me, it was worth doing without to get set up. What convinced me is how much meat a single cartridge can put on the table.

Woody

Ohio Gun Guy
January 22, 2010, 07:22 PM
I try for the following: (Currently low on all counts)

1. 250 per bolt action shooter (Not including collectables)
2. 1000 per semi auto
3. 5000 in .22lr

Shadow Man
January 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you haven't had to reinforce the floor, you don't have enough.
:D

If my basement caves in, that means that I am sitting upon a subterranian ammunition storage facility, and that I have more room that I need to fill.

ronbuick
January 22, 2010, 07:50 PM
Big Bill, where abouts in Idaho are you?? thanks.

Ron

stchman
January 22, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hey BigBill, you can look down the business end to get my ammo.

Tamlin
January 22, 2010, 09:21 PM
These are my benchmarks. Some I have a little less of; most I have a little more of:

500 rounds in each handgun caliber
100 rounds in each hunting rifle caliber
1500 rounds in 22lr
100 rounds shotgun shells, in various shot sizes

You don't realize how much ammo this really is until you have to move it. Sheesh! Makes you want to pare down to just one rifle and one or two handguns . . .

Al LaVodka
January 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
Enough to add a second round-trip flight within the continental United States via points to your credit-card over a year...

Surprised by how many have almost nothing in ammo to hundreds and those who have 10's of thousands.

Al

Rembrandt
January 22, 2010, 10:14 PM
A firearm without ammo is like a car without gas.....one should have a "full tank" and then some.

Ky Larry
January 22, 2010, 10:15 PM
Who knows how many rounds I'll need? I'll just keep reloading and shooting as long as I can.

hso
January 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
5k/weapon

I shoot a lot.

I train others to shoot a lot.

Buying in bulk saves money.

oldfool
January 22, 2010, 11:35 PM
I own ~40 assorted firearms
(3) rimfire calibers
(5) centerfire handgun calibers (counting 38/357 as just one)
(2) centerfire rifle calibers
(3) shotgun gauges

only rarely shoot most of those, and "really" only shoot (~98% of the time)
(3) rimfire calibers
(2) handgun centerfire calibers (38/357 and 380acp)

I don't reload, not because I disapprove in any way, just various and sundry other practical reasons
not a competition shooter (lacking in discretionary time, wherewithal, and talent)
do shoot at range every week, it's pretty much my "one fun just me thing, quiet time" to do thing

I usually have 50-100 rounds of what I don't very often shoot
I probably don't have more than 50 shotgun shells in total
doubt I have 20 rounds each of centerfire rifle ammo in hand

I have 50-100 rounds each of 38+p JHP (for handguns) and 357 JHP each (for carbines), "just in case", which I only practice with infrequently
(my mostly "just for serious stuff" ammo, because they all shoot 38sp range fodder just fine)
I keep 300-400 rounds of 17HMR on hand, and 500-700 rounds of 22WMR on hand, both of which is ~3X more than I really need to keep on hand
I (now) keep 500-1000 rounds of 38 range fodder on hand
I keep 250 or LESS rounds of 380acp on hand, and I am getting real peevish about it, too
going to have to go back to 38sp snubbie carry, if somebody doesn't do something about that real soon
I (now) keep at least 5000 rounds of 22 rimfire on hand
I really do think there is "a guy who knows a guy" at the local wallyworld, but it ain't me, and I am getting real peevish about it, too

I used to not keep more than a 100 rounds of anything but 22 rimfire on hand, and only 2-3 bricks of that
just pick up on way to range what I was going to shoot up that day
then (couple years ago) rising prices, started picking up twofers
then, too often couldn't count for sure on finding any on any given day, so started picking up threefers

but I still only keep ONE roll of duct tape on hand

If hurricane is maybe coming, I check up on stock of canned goods, water, ice, candles, batteries, propane, and toilet paper (and fill up the vehicle gas tank, just in case)... already got more ammo than I will ever use in a few weeks, and when the zombies come for me, I figure to be lucky to take out 3 or 4 before they eat me anyway (I ain't that good at head shots no more)

but THEN...
the Hate-N-Fear/Panic/SHTF/world-is-ending, zombie/martian/ninja invasion crowd got really serious
ever since, pretty much driven to checking places whilst traveling for the purpose of working to keep the family fed
never yet got desperate enough to pay just-plain-silly prices, but just restock on whatever's there in the calibers I shoot most
(except 380acp, of course)

No, I do NOT think OP was trolling for SHTF, but that is too frequently (almost always) where these threads go, in case nobody noticed
"buy more rope"

I have only "seen" two major "SHTF" very real deals in my entire lifetime
the LA riots and the Katrina event
I don't live in either LA or New orleans, on purpose (call me lucky)
Call me a fool, but I am real hard pressed to believe that even ONE law-abiding CIVILIAN ever shot up 50 rounds of self-defense ammo during either event.. but I would gladly have sold my #1 favorite gun to give somebody a drink of clean water in New Orleans, in a heartbeat, if I could have believed it would actually get done
but I was not there, of course (call me lucky)

The US military forces might just invade me any day now, of course
but I think 99% of U.S. soldiers and U.S. street cops are people just like you and me, and just like our own children
me, I think people who think they need 5,000 or 60,000 rounds of "defense" ammo to fight off their neighbor's children are not part of the solution, they just might be part of the problem

can't blame anybody (and do not) for stocking up whatever they can to beat the prices thing; but it just "does not compute"; people who are so frightened that they stock up 100X the rounds they shoot weekly

mostly, I am real doggone sure I could find more 380acp, if Walter Mitty had not been such a prolific fool
(and I am getting real peevish about it, too)
YMMV

Me and Uncle Jack know what we think about it, and Uncle Jack has seen more idiots, liars, charlatans, and fools of every religious/political persuasion than I ever will, and I have already seen way too many of ALL flavors
(me have seen a few, and they don't fit any one hate-name-game-label either)

PS
no, I don't mind if you stock up a 100,000 rounds of 223, just QUIT buying up 380 acp please !
(no, you are NOT going to win the next world war with 10,000 rounds of 380acp anyway, get over it already)

No, me got nothing against "black", (always did like ladies in black lace, one in particular), just never did think I needed 10,000 rounds to get it done... win, lose, or draw :p

Roccobro
January 22, 2010, 11:51 PM
"Need"? Just one perfect round for each intended target.

"Want"? As much as I can afford.

Justin

The_Pretender
January 22, 2010, 11:55 PM
I think 99% of U.S. soldiers and U.S. street cops are people just like you and me, and just like our own children
me, I think people who think they need 5,000 or 60,000 rounds of "defense" ammo to fight off their neighbor's children are not part of the solution, they just might be part of the problem

I tend to agree with you there, but you would be surprised how some people act when they start getting hungry....

I tell you what- if something happens like that nation/world wide, the guy grabbing the TV(Looters from Katrina footage) is going to have serious problems. Better be after food/seeds.

I appreciate nearly all that have responded. I mostly was interested in how I lined up with other fellow gun owners, as for now I only have my friends and family to compare to.

I thought maybe I was getting a little too much, kinda felt weird.

And to be clear, I was not referring to a post-apocalypse environment. Just wondered what the general consensus was for on hand acquisitions. :)

tango2echo
January 22, 2010, 11:59 PM
I started to realize I had "almost enough" last year when I would get 1-3 phone calls a day from "friends" asking if I had so-and-so because Wal-mart and all the gun stores were out.........:eek:

Ed Ames
January 23, 2010, 12:21 AM
I don't live in either LA or New orleans, on purpose (call me lucky)

The fact that you put the LA riots next to Katrina on the same scale says something about just how Television-centric LA is. I remember LA pretty well...people weren't showing up for work, afraid to do anything...it was weird, but...

The main things I remember was that scumbag Daryl Gates going on TV and saying the number one priority was police officer safety even as 53 citizens died and thousands were injured. And Korean liquor store owners with rifles, Scientologists with baseball bats, and others defending their property while the cops stayed in their shelters waiting until it was safe to go outside. I remember coworkers 30 miles from any rioting, in suburban Orange County, afraid to go outside too. But....

In no way does that compare to 1800+ dead and 700+ missing in Katrina. It doesn't measure up to Ike from a year and a half ago w/ over 100 dead. It had less actual life impact than the Northridge or Santa Cruiz Mt. earthquakes, with about 60 dead each. For that matter, it was less of a SHTF for many than some of the SoCal fire seasons (e.g. 2003).

My take is that there have been more legitimate SHTF-type situations going on around you than you credit...but LA has more cameras so it gets more attention than it deserves.

Not knocking you at all BTW... more like knocking LA for being a bunch of drama queens... and pointing out that an event doesn't have to leave a smoldering crater to be serious to those in the middle of it.

tango2echo
January 23, 2010, 12:50 AM
Well said, Mr. Ames

alemonkey
January 23, 2010, 12:55 AM
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."

Rudyard Kipling

oldfool
January 23, 2010, 01:51 AM
OP
I don't think you and I disagree about anything you said there
(not that I said anything worth saying)

"you would be surprised how some people act when they start getting hungry...."

probably not, extreme unlikely
and we both easy could do that if we were both looking to feed the people we loved, you and I just might be shooting at each other (sure hope not)

but I just don't think the 2nd Civil War or Ivan the Terrible or the Red Threat or the next Reich or the next Holy War is going to make it happen, not world-wide (not short of anything you cannot kill with a bullet), much less hate-n-fear tv, maybe not even nuclear war (it really is a whole lot harder than it sounds to actually kill 6 billion people, even if you are a microbe)

but if the electricity ever goes off for 60 days continuous nationwide, let's partner up, because people who will stand together will be far better off than anybody else with any size ammunition hoard. Those who stand alone, die alone, and quicker than most, no matter what caliber they carry, no matter how much, 10 rounds or 10,000.

"I tell you what- if something happens like that nation/world wide"

could happen in the next 10 minutes, but I am not stocking up on ammo to stop it, or laying awake at night waiting for it (or building an atomic underground bomb shelter in the back yard)....because 100 rounds vs. 100,000 rounds is not what will count.. and it has happened in "nations" many times over, and it will happen again, but if it happens before dawn tomorrow, 10,000 rounds of ammo will not decide whether you or I survive it.

Then again, a few dozen rounds could make a really big difference.

"I thought maybe I was getting a little too much, kinda felt weird."
No, not hardly, don't feel all alone.
I am holding more than I thought i ever would... weird
Not because I fear the end of the world as we know it
mostly because wallyworld has bare shelves

but if the electricity really do go off tomorrow, there are others in our family & friends, not just me, who either will survive it or not, not for lack of sufficient ammo, nor because of lots of ammo on hand

Then again, a few dozen rounds could make a really big difference.
Each.

Magic_Man
January 23, 2010, 02:01 AM
I try to get a box here & there when I hit Wal Mart, but they never have any. 9mm, .45ACP & .380 are still overpriced online

oldfool
January 23, 2010, 03:02 AM
Ed Ames
rare to get a realistic perspective on real events, real time
thanks !

me, like I said, I wasn't there...
but your insights certainly do not not diminish my own cynical view of "reality TV" or of the mass media at large (no matter what slant they are pitching). It's not just LA, it is the world we live in today. Tougher than it used to be, everybody selling something, "famous for 15 minutes", agendas, spin, ratings

two sides to every coin, though
Never saw anything on mass media that ever impressed me more than what I saw about
Katrina, about the people who (non-gun related) I never knew, never met, but cannot forget

or those NYFD guys who RAN into WTC without hesitation
(don't tell me they did not know the odds)

but you are absolutely right, it happens every day, unseen, unknown
real disasters, real SHTF, and very real heroes, some in uniform, many not
not "Red Dawn", not FOX, not MSNBC

but thousands rounds of ammo on hand very rarely is either the problem, or the solution

Then again, a few dozen rounds on hand can make a really big difference
maybe did for some of those LA shop owners, when LAPD was not there when needed
but if a few dozen rounds was not enough, a few thousand rounds would not have been enough, either

subjective perspective, you have to pick your own

HK G3
January 23, 2010, 03:07 AM
How much ammo do I need?

Enough to stop a threat.

Now, how much ammo would I want is a completely different story, and would likely require several cargo containers...

Big Bill
January 23, 2010, 03:20 AM
deleted

Southern Rebel
January 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
Bwahahahahaha! Too late. I already got all I need because I saw the trend last year and stocked up. Too bad you didn't. I'll think of you next time I go shooting my three 380s. (Wanna buy some? Sorry, it ain't fer sale.)

Big Bill, I didn't stock up. I just waited until a couple of guys that had stocked up ran into a real need for quick money. It is amazing what having ready cash can accomplish.

My best purchase was from one of my casual friends who had been telling me about how he had "seen it coming" and it was my fault for not seeing it. Then his wife decided to bug out on him and took all of the money in their bank account and ran up the tab on their credit cards. Suddenly, he had an immediate need for quick cash and a quick lawyer.

I bought most of his stash of ammo at probably less than he paid for it. Yeah, I could have told him I saw it coming (knowing his wife and him pretty well), but best not to further anger a man who still had a minimum stock of ammo left. :D

The other guy got laid off and suddenly rent money and grocery money became more important to him than a room full of ammo.

Yep, it is important to have the foresight to "see it coming", but that phrase applies to a lot more preparation for life's personal little shtf than just piling up ammunition.

Magic_Man
January 23, 2010, 11:54 AM
Big Bill, thanks for coming off as an ass & helping zero. :rolleyes:

redneck2
January 23, 2010, 12:32 PM
I don't keep that much for SHTF situations. Most likely that would take relatively little. You're not going to get into a Vietnam style fire fight consuming thousands of rounds.

I'm planning a prairie dog hunt in May. We'll (hopefully) use between 1,500 to 3,000 rounds just there.

I'm looking way down the road to the next ammo/primer/powder shortage. Price isn't going down and availability may be (much) worse.

Big Bill
January 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Big Bill, thanks for coming off as an ass & helping zero.You're right man. Sorry! I fixed it.

I have a lot of ammo because I have 12 sons and SILs. I save up and buy in bulk when it is a great deal. We shoot a lot, so having a good stock is important.

Hatterasguy
January 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
The ammo bubble is already starting to pop so I'm not in a rush to buy any. I think this spring I'll pick up a 1k rounds of 5.56 when I see a good deal.

I have half a dozen mags for the Sig, thats all I need. I don't beleive in having more than I can carry.

I don't feel that ammunition is a good investment so I don't stock up on it. God forbid I'm ever stuck in a Katrina I think that a standard GI load of say 10 mags is probably going to be more than enough, if not overkill. You just need to scare the looters away for a bit, not fight WW3.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much ammo do you need?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!