Taurus 24/7 or XD?

PDA

JFtheGR8
January 22, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am looking to put a 45 acp back in my gun cabinet and have a budget to deal with. Less than $500 to work with and that is out the door price. I have been looking at the Taurus 24/7 Pro and the Springfield XD. Any input would be appreciated. I am not stuck on those brands but I like the features of both guns and the price for stainless on the Taurus would be hard to beat. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus 24/7 or XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jonah71
January 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
I have the Taurus 24/7 PT Pro SS Compact 9mm. This model has been discontinued in the 9mm but they do have the same newer version in the .45 ACP. I have never fired the .45 but I can tell you that my 9mm is the most dependable I've ever owned.

Jonah71
January 22, 2010, 10:49 AM
Now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure they have the "compact" in stainless.

uspJ
January 22, 2010, 10:56 AM
i own a 24/7 pro in 45 acp and have owned a xd as well. the xd is a fantastic pistol and the reliability is outstanding. i don't know what prices in your area are but in mine xd's run about the same as glocks in the mid $500s. the xd's come with a holster and double mag puch so they seem to be one of the better packages out there. the taurus has been a very good pistol, i have put several hundred rounds of bargain basement crap ammo as well as good sd loads and haven't had one failure. i also like that the 24/7 has a decocker which allows me to carry the pistol in da. the recoil on the 24-7 seems a bit rougher than the xd imho, and that makes quick follow up shots a bit rougher. i have heard of other people having problems with the early 24/7 models.

devildog32713
January 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
other options: 1911 Para at a gunshow, $499 no tax, no background, etc. and glock 21, 30 I found one at my last gunshow for $459, with 2 mags, cable, everything that comes with a brand new Glock.

JShirley
January 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
I gave a 24/7 in .40 to my best friend. He's very happy with his.

Others don't seem to have this problem, but the XDs hurt the web of my hand.

Echo9
January 22, 2010, 11:06 AM
i own a 24/7 pro in 45 acp and have owned a xd as well. the xd is a fantastic pistol and the reliability is outstanding. i don't know what prices in your area are but in mine xd's run about the same as glocks in the mid $500s. the xd's come with a holster and double mag puch so they seem to be one of the better packages out there. the taurus has been a very good pistol, i have put several hundred rounds of bargain basement crap ammo as well as good sd loads and haven't had one failure. i also like that the 24/7 has a decocker which allows me to carry the pistol in da. the recoil on the 24-7 seems a bit rougher than the xd imho, and that makes quick follow up shots a bit rougher. i have heard of other people having problems with the early 24/7 models.
The 24/7 has a decocker?

Sam1911
January 22, 2010, 11:07 AM
The xDs are very good.

The Taurus pistols are workable and cheap, but not as refined. And you've always got the black cloud of doom hanging over you if anything ever goes wrong. Taurus has the worst reputation ever for customer service, and a higher-than-average reputation for "lemons," so chances are you'll need them to fix something sooner or later.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a Tarus unless price was the only criterion.

-Sam

JFtheGR8
January 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
Here's the compact: http://www.gundealeronline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1247459PC12

And the 4": http://www.gundealeronline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1247459P12

The Taurus looks pretty nice but looks aren't everything.

JFtheGR8
January 22, 2010, 11:15 AM
The xDs are very good.

The Taurus pistols are workable and cheap, but not as refined. And you've always got the black cloud of doom hanging over you if anything ever goes wrong. Taurus has the worst reputation ever for customer service, and a higher-than-average reputation for "lemons," so chances are you'll need them to fix something sooner or later.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a Tarus unless price was the only criterion.

-Sam
I am leaning pretty hard towards the XD. I just want to get some reassurance that the extra $$ is worth it.

David E
January 22, 2010, 11:18 AM
Get the XD and never look back.

Great features and a great gun.

JFtheGR8
January 22, 2010, 11:18 AM
The 24/7 has a decocker?

The OSS has a decocker but runs about $100 more than the PRO. I believe that to be correct.

The Captain
January 22, 2010, 11:21 AM
I have a mil pro in .40 no decocker.
A buddy has 24/7 compact in .40 it has the decocker

JFtheGR8
January 22, 2010, 11:39 AM

So here's what I'm thinking about and I know it is probably over my budget: http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=125

COgunner
January 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
You might want to consider an EAA Witness. Bud's has the full-size all-metal for $422 and the Witness-P (polymer frame) for $400, both delivered prices. Add $20 or $30 for the FFL transfer and you'll still be well under budget. I have a Witness-P, I bought it because it fits my hand like it was molded for it. I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through it, but so far it has been 100% reliable and accurate.

BTW - I also have an XD (in .40) and love it too.

CoRoMo
January 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
XD all friggin day long. I'll never buy a Taurus. I'm biased though, so don't listen to me!
I have the 5" Tactical model, like the one you linked to, but not stainless. Got it from Bud's for $489 delivered.

ArmedBear
January 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
The XD is ugly, but I trust it to shoot when I want it to, and hit where I want it to. I also trust it not to go off while I'm drawing it.

It's one of the only semiautos that a revolver guy would feel comfortable stuffing in his pants before leaving the house.

David E
January 22, 2010, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't buy a lesser gun if the gun I really wanted was a better gun @ $50 more.

I'd wait a bit and save up that $50

If you don't and buy the lesser gun, you'll kick yourself each and everytime you see it, much less shoot it, for buying it instead of saving a bit longer to get the gun you really wanted in the first place.

Walkalong
January 22, 2010, 01:14 PM

And no lock.

ArmedBear
January 22, 2010, 01:15 PM
I'm with David E. While $1500 vs. $500 does matter to me, I wouldn't consider 50 dollars (in either direction) to be an influencing factor AT ALL in a defensive handgun purchase. Buy the right gun for you.

Besides, 50 bucks?!? That's nothing. That's the price of a box of .45ACP!:D

ojibweindian
January 22, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've got a 5" XD45 with thumb safety. Actually, I've got two. Great pistols. Only bad thing about the XD45 is that it doesn't reliably feed 200 grain LSWC. The work-around is to use a 200 grain lead flat point. Missouri Bullet Company makes a great 200 grain lead flat point that feeds well in both my XD's.

uspJ
January 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
echo9-

sorry, i forgot all models don't have the decocker feature. mine is a 24/7 pro ds model. if you push the safety all the way up it decocks the striker.

Sock Puppet
January 22, 2010, 01:39 PM
While I've heard decent things about the 24/7, I would go with the XD every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

weregunner
January 23, 2010, 02:44 AM
So the 24/7 in .45ACP query came up?

Here's a bit on that.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6173498&postcount=15
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5146620&postcount=3
http://ww.wtaurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=28622.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=8486.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=8184.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=8486.0

I do not own a 24/7, but I do own the 24/7's kin, the PT111 Mil/pro and the PT132.

Both guns are giving excellent service without any bobbles.

weregunner
January 23, 2010, 02:48 AM
Oh,yes. I do own a Springfield XD-9 and love the gun.
Can't go wrong with it.

I do not own the .45 ACP variant as my hands are to small for the .45 grip.

Either gun should meet your needs well whether it is the Taurus 24/7 or the Springfield XD.
Pick that one that fits you and your needs.

Try them both out if possible to see which one is right for you.

Mr. Bojangles
January 23, 2010, 07:08 AM
Go with the XD, you won't regret it.

hydraulicman
January 23, 2010, 07:25 AM
I just bought an XD 45 and it has been great. I've shot 9mm glocks for so long it feels chunky and different but it chomps up ammo like potato chips.

I really like it and cant wait to run some cast loads out of it. Oh most poeople say it chokes on semi-wadcutters. Other than that you should be good to go.

tthis thread makes me want to get out and shoot my .45

Just something about those 230 grain FMJ's:D

and it really fit's like a glove. i just had to buy it.

andrsnsm
January 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
I know it depends on the person but I has a Taurus 24/7 pro duo and hated it. Conversely, I had an XD9 and an XD45 and loved them both. But I have recently sold my XD's to get a 1911 or BHP.

JFtheGR8
January 23, 2010, 10:23 AM
Go with the XD, you won't regret it.

I was flipping through channels last night and low and behold I came across Guns and Ammo's show which was profiling the XD 45. It was a sign.

Taurus 617 CCW
January 23, 2010, 10:39 AM
I don't have anything against Taurus as a range gun but I have owned three Taurus guns, two have gone back for warranty repair. I repaired a Taurus Judge revolver that was binding when you pulled the hammer back for single action. The last incident I observed at a gun show. One of the dealers next to me brought his brand new Taurus PT111 to show us at an ajacent booth. When he pulled the slide back I noticed something small flew off the gun. After much searching on the ground we discovered it was the extractor roll pin. My wife's former carrry gun, a Taurus Milennium Pro had the firing pin lock break off and fall into the firing pin channel, rendering the gun useless after 50 rounds. The only Taurus I owned that never had a problem was an old Taurus 85 revolver in .38 special.

My only question is how much do you think your life is worth? If you want to take a gamble on saving a couple hundred bucks, go ahead. My philosophy is that you get what you pay for.

andrsnsm
January 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
One thing you should know is that the Taurus 24/7 grip has a thin groove cut into it right where it contacts your hand between the thumb and forefinger. When I would shoot mine it would dig into my skin and after about 65 rds I would not want to shoot it any more. It really bugged me and was one reason I sold it. The other thing was I never could get used to the trigger and could not group very well. The gun was very reliable but I just did not like it.

Redneck with a 40
January 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
I've had both good and bad luck with the Taurus product's. I'd buy the XD, its got a good, solid, long term reputation for durability and quality. If those were my two choices, its the XD all the way.:)

Enachos
January 23, 2010, 11:42 AM
A good friend of mine has a Taurus 24/7 in .45 and had problems with it within the first two weeks... i too almost bought one till I he pretty muched swayed me to go with something else.

Although I'm a "Glock Guy" I'd go with the XD over a taurus any day.

Jonah71
January 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
From reading a lot of these posts it sounds to me like I just lucked our with my 24/7 and happened to get one of the good ones. What I do NOT like about my 24/7 PT Pro 9mm is that the safety is so easily changed from locked to firing position that I never feel safe carrying with a round chambered so I don't do that until I'm ready to fire. This imo makes it a liability as far as a CCW weapon. And I don't like that it will fire a chambered round with the magazine removed. The fact that I've fired over 2000 rounds without a ftf is great, but for me it's now my bug and I carry a good old reliable .38 spec S&W mod 14. Better shot with it anyway.

Lou McGopher
January 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
I've got an XD45. Great gun, no complaints about it. Over 1000 rds of the cheapest fmj I can get, and not a hiccup. I have been considering buying a Taurus, in 9mm though. I've heard good things about their customer service and the quality of their guns. Most of the criticism I've heard seems to be from non-taurus owners simply repeating claims about Taurus's reputation from a long time ago. If you're on a tight budget, the price difference is enough that you can't ignore it. Some may say, "Oh but that's only X boxes of ammo." Well, for someone on a tight budget, that X boxes of ammo may be all one can afford for the next 3-6 months.

Decide what your budget really is. Get it down to the dollar. And if both pistols and fall within that... then I'd recommend the XD. If not, then I wouldn't feel bad going with the Taurus.

rd2007
January 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Definitely the XD and Academy stores here have the dark earth one on clearance for $469.99.

djardine
January 23, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've owned the XD in .45 and LOVED IT. It was very accurate and very reliable. I've since traded it off for a Glock 19 for Concealed Carry, but if I had the $$$$ for a second gun, I would go XD again. Between your two choices, GO XD and Don't Look Back.

JFtheGR8
January 28, 2010, 10:25 AM
Update: I got a XD at a local gun shop. It was used but new condition for about $100 less. Included all the original gear except the manual was missing. It is the black 4". I can't wait to shoot it. I have about 200 rounds of 230gr SWC ammo left from when I had a 1911. Has anyone had any issues with loading/jamming with different ammo? I came in under my budget so I have money left for ammo if need be. I just hate to let all that ammo sit around and wait until I can get another 1911 to feed it to.

david_the_greek
January 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
Shot a friends taurus 24/7 oss(?) a few weeks ago. The gun shot great IMHO, with very minimal recoil. The recoil was very tame (it was a .40) and the grip felt very comfortable to me. The controls were very easy to manipulate (too easy perhaps as posted above) and overall the gun seemed decent. My buddy originally had the .45 version but had problems, sent it back to taurus and exchanged it for the .40. He continues however to have this problem; inserting a magazine into the pistol with any force causes the slide to slam forward from the locked back position. Though perhaps one could "work around" it, that seems like a potential safety issue to me... thoughts? Is this ok?

JFtheGR8
January 28, 2010, 10:45 AM
I think I might have found the answer: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=500143&highlight=xd+45

Oh well. I have to tell my wife I need to get a 1911 now.

Sam1911
January 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
inserting a magazine into the pistol with any force causes the slide to slam forward from the locked back position. Though perhaps one could "work around" it, that seems like a potential safety issue to me... thoughts? Is this ok?

That is common enough with lots of guns, especially polymer guns. See it a lot with Glocks. A lot of competition shooters like it as it speeds up their reloads.

Can't really see why it would be a safety issue. Any time you're chambering a round the gun should be pointed in a safe direction and your finger should be off the trigger.

Personally, I don't want the gun to do anything I didn't tell it to do (:)) but if one of mine did this consistantly/reliably I would probably consider it a useful speed advantage.

-Sam

tomaz45
January 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
A man can't own too many 1911's. SWC's may be an issue, just try one mag-full and see.
My xd eats anything I throw in it, to the degree I gave it to my son for his CCW. I love my 1911's but the XD and the Glock are proven to go Bang everytime. "Anyone who doesn't like a Glock, has never been shot AT!! You have choosen wisely. Enjoy! If you have to accept some ammo style limitations, so be it.

jigglyjames29
January 30, 2010, 10:59 PM
XD would be a better choice than the 24/7 IMO. I don't really trust Taurus.

fxstchewy
January 31, 2010, 09:02 AM
I would choose the XD, i have three of them and never had a problem. :)

PAPACHUCK
February 1, 2010, 07:17 AM
I have three XD's also. 0 malfunctions with any of them.

GIT-U-1.

Ala Dan
February 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
I actually prefer the Springfield Armory XD over the Taurus 24/7, any Glock,
or even the Smith & Wesson M&P. My .45 ACP XD, is a fantastic shooter;
and has been right from the box. The only thing I've done to it, was add a
set of Tru-Glo (TFO) fiber optic sights too it; in order to help these old eyes.

Kubenzi86
February 2, 2010, 09:05 AM
I like the 24/7 pro better than springfields. Had both in .40, still have the taurus. Make sure you get 24/7 pro Its a keeper.

Just One Shot
February 2, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have 3 XD's (9mm, .40 S&W and the .45) so my answer is obvious!

I can remember when the Taurus line was one of the least dependable guns out there and I just can't get that out of the back of my mind.

I know there are many people who love their Taurus guns and that's fine but I don't feel comfortable carrying one for S.D.

To each their own as they say!

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus 24/7 or XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!