displaying your bullets on a shelf

PDA

shotgunsrfun
January 22, 2010, 12:31 PM
Has anyone done this? display there calibers on a shelf/mount/ledge/etc.

It will not make the bullet go off because it is standing up straight?
:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "displaying your bullets on a shelf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rattletrap1970
January 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
Ummm. No.
Putting loaded ammo in a tumbler for 3 days won't make it go off, so, it will be fine on a shelf. If you are displaying a collection though you may want to spray them with clear laquer because they will tarnish and grow dull over time.

rcmodel
January 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
Bullets can't go off.
Bullets are just inanimate lead or lead/copper projectiles.

A Loaded Round of ammo can go off, but they won't, if setting on a shelf.

The only two things that can cause them to go off is heat from a fire, or something striking the primer with enough force to set it off.

rc

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 12:38 PM
Has anyone done this? display there calibers on a shelf/mount/ledge/etc.

It will not make the bullet go off because it is standing up straight?

I wouldn't do it. The harmonic vibrations in a house, transfer to the shelf... if one of those rounds are sitting on a finish nail, well... you can just imagine what could happen.

thorazine
January 22, 2010, 12:39 PM
Only concern I would have is coordinating the cartridges with the drapes and furniture scheme.

HGUNHNTR
January 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
+1 Clips vs. Magazines-----Rounds of Ammunition vs. Bullets, correct terminolgy will make discussions more useful.

kanook
January 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
you can just imagine what could happen.Please do tell what will or could happen.

I am under the belief that nothing will happen

N003k
January 22, 2010, 01:02 PM
Kanook, given the 'finishing nail' bit, I'm guessing he was being sarcastic.

Basically yea, the worst you need to worry about is coordinating the furniture, and making sure they don't get tarnished.

cleardiddion
January 22, 2010, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't do it. The harmonic vibrations in a house, transfer to the shelf... if one of those rounds are sitting on a finish nail, well... you can just imagine what could happen.

My goodness, you must be worried sick every night about if you're worried about resonance frequency and all that.

Unless you go banging on the primers with a hammer and nail or you decide to torch your house I don't see any problems in displaying rounds.

2000Yards
January 22, 2010, 01:37 PM

People tend to miss the sarcasm when you omit the emoticon...

Take your pick: ;) :rolleyes: :neener: :scrutiny:

The Bushmaster
January 22, 2010, 01:39 PM
There's still that "coordinating with the furniture and drapes" problem...

mcdonl
January 22, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ok. I will take this one :neener:

Zach S
January 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
I have very few calibers. In order, from pansy to manly;
Pistols: .22lr, .38special, 9mm, .45 ACP.

Rifles: .22lr, 9mm, .223, .45ACP.

One could argue about .223 being in the wrong spot. It is a more powerful round than .45 auto, however, my .223 rifle is an AR15 that weighs half of what my tommygun does.

My point is, I really dont have a lot to display.

ETA: HA! If I'm ever in a position where I need an excuse to buy a gun, I'll have to remember this thread...

"But honey, I have to by the CZ52. The 7.62x25 slot is still empty in my ammo display. I cant buy a box of ammo for one round, the other 49 rounds will go to waste!"

shotgunsrfun
January 22, 2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for info.

rondog
January 22, 2010, 02:38 PM
A shallow shadowbox type display case with a glass/plexiglass cover would be best. Otherwise, they'll be getting dusty all the time, and falling over/off the shelf, and your patience will be tested frequently. People have been doing this for years, I think you used to be able to buy pre-made cartridge boards back in the days. Sure seen a lot of 'em here and there.

MinnMooney
January 22, 2010, 02:48 PM
It will not make the bullet go off ?

display there[sic] calibers ]

********** The following is 80% rant (pet peeve) and 20% info. ***********

Hmmmmmmm... How about using the correct nomenclature.... especially in you post title?

Bullets are just shaped hunks of various metals.
Now, AMMO (which is what I assume you are talking about) can only go off under very specific circumstances. One way is the strike the primer with a reasonably pointed item. The other is to toss them into a fire.

Barring either of those two things happening, your shelf display is very safe.

P.S. Sorry for the smart-mouthed reply but I really wish everyone would take a second or two/to/too to/too/two proof-read/reed their/there/they're posts.
No one - including me - writes perfectly but some posts are just atrocious.

rcmodel
January 22, 2010, 05:32 PM
Many will argure that it makes no differance.

Go to the reloading forum and it will make a whole lot of differance if you are talking about bullets or rounds I betcha.

"What's the OAL of a .308 bullet supposed to be?"
"Oh about .750" inch I guess. What bullet brand & weight?"
"Seems awful short. Mines over 2" long."

rc

9MMare
January 22, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hmm, they'd clash with my decor, which has alot of brushed nickel.

Do they make 9mm bullets cased in brushed nickel? If so, maybe I'll switch............

TonyDedo
January 22, 2010, 05:42 PM
Careful, leave those pointy bullets sitting out in the open, you might poke your eye out.

9MMare
January 22, 2010, 05:52 PM
P.S. Sorry for the smart-mouthed reply but I really wish everyone would take a second or two/to/too to/too/two proof-read/reed their/there/they're posts.
No one - including me - writes perfectly but some posts are just atrocious.

For a slightly different perspective, the writing style of email and the Internet is different than other types of writing. It's intended to be fast and convenient. As long as your meaning gets across and people do not have to struggle to read it (like all caps, no paragraphs, odd formatting, etc).....I dont see the point in adding extra burden on the writer. Personally, if I dont feel like taking an extra second to proof, I dont. And if I do, it's to make sure I'm being clear, not proper.

Esp on recreational forums. I know how to properly use 'to' and 'there,' etc. but am often in a hurry, lazy, or focused on content rather than minor points, and still may use the wrong one.

And I usually use ' ' quotes instead of " " because I just dont feel like using the Shift key. So sue me! Just kidding but my meaning would still be clear.

I'm a professional writer & editor, and it doesnt bother me....YMMV. It's not always an indication of ignorance. When it ventures into the territory of 'atrocious,' well I can see your point.

(See how I left the period off the abbreviated 'especially?" It was intentional...just didnt bother.) :evil:

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
+1 on the lacquer idea. I dipped my display ones in a satin finish polyurethane.

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
For a slightly different perspective, the writing style of email and the Internet is different than other types of writing. It's intended to be fast and convenient. As long as your meaning gets across and people do not have to struggle to read it (like all caps, no paragraphs, odd formatting, etc).....I dont see the point in adding extra burden on the writer. Personally, if I dont feel like taking an extra second to proof, I dont. And if I do, it's to make sure I'm being clear, not proper.

That's why I love using a Mac. The operating system highlights green/red any misspelling or grammar errors that I make and has the right click to correct button :-D wherever you type, whether it's web browser, forms, anywhere.

R. Deckard
January 22, 2010, 06:14 PM
I would never do that

http://schroederfamily.homestead.com/files/bullets.jpg

Deckard ;)

9MMare
January 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww.

wishin
January 22, 2010, 06:54 PM
(See how I left the period off the abbreviated 'especially?" It was intentional...just didnt bother.)

Does the period belong before or after the last parenthesis mark?:neener:

Mr Tornado
January 22, 2010, 06:57 PM
Even if it "went off" while minding it's own business on a shelf, it would only behave like a loud firecracker. The energy of an exploding bullet has to be properly channeled for the round in it to have any degree of lethality. ;)

wishin
January 22, 2010, 07:14 PM
Sorry, but got distracted by some silliness.

My preferred method of showcasing ammo is to mount the rounds horizontally on the facing back panel of a shadow box. Makes a nicer presentation IMO.

happygeek
January 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
I've been keeping one round of each caliber firearm me and the wife own lined up smallest to largest on a floating shelf for some time. Also had a few other items like the jacket off a 5.56 round I pulled out of a concrete barrier with pliers sitting up there.

B yond
January 22, 2010, 09:54 PM

So you're going to come over here and clean the rum and coke out of my keyboard....right?

9MMare
January 23, 2010, 12:55 AM
Does the period belong before or after the last parenthesis mark?:neener:

If the text inside the parens is a complete sentence, it needs a terminal punctuation. And then the sentence it's part of still must have it's own terminal punctuation. :D

If you ask the same question about quotation marks, I'll tell ya it depends on if it's US Engish or UK English.

9MMare
January 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
I thought that the phrase 'terminal punctuation' might have some appeal here on a gun forum. :)

230RN
January 23, 2010, 01:17 AM
Its is its own possessive and don't need no 'postrophe. Or so I thought.

Sediment
January 23, 2010, 03:19 AM
Sounds like a fun idea to show off your ammo collection. If you are putting them on a shelf or some kind of stand type of display I would agree with dipping them in lacquer to preserve the shine. Don't forget to polish them first! After they're nice and shiny it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to either use double sided tape or a dab of hot glue to secure them in place.
You know, all the sneaky harmonic frequencies and rogue finishing nails out there:rolleyes:.
If you google shadow boxes for ammunition I bet you would find some interesting results. Let us know what you decide to do.

ranger351w
January 23, 2010, 06:00 AM
The vibrations will only be transferred to the shelf if the shelf has been transmorgrafied and the caleb shaft has not been allined perfectly in your transmorgrafier. Best cure do not transmorgrafie the shelf.
Also do not use finishing nails on the shelf.

wishin
January 23, 2010, 06:11 AM
I thought that the phrase 'terminal punctuation' might have some appeal here on a gun forum.

Clever. But it's spelled "puncture". LOL.

Resto Guy
January 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
Good topics get locked for petty reasons, and this one survives...............:confused:

shotgunsrfun
January 23, 2010, 08:52 PM
^ post above :confused:

I just put them side by side standing up.

JimKirk
January 23, 2010, 09:10 PM
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Jimmy K

jkingrph
January 23, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have had a display that I made back in high school, about 1961. Cartridges are wired to a large finished board, about 24x36, like a large plaque. 4 tiny holes drilled through board for each cartridge for wire. Cartridges were polished with steel wool, then lacquered.

shotgunsrfun
January 23, 2010, 09:18 PM
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Jimmy K I CAN READ THAT lol

oneounceload
January 23, 2010, 09:32 PM
At one time, I loaded up a dummy round of all the cartridges I loaded and shot and then glued them in a nice size order to a piece of finished wood - that way they didn't fall over..... ;)

JimKirk
January 23, 2010, 09:34 PM
Funny ain't it ! When the person that handed it to me, I read every word except for one with out looking a second look. Strange how the mind works!

Jimmy K

-eaux-
January 24, 2010, 12:11 AM
Hmmmmmmm... How about using the correct nomenclature.... especially in you post title?

point one finger, you have three pointing back.

let's not announce that we are about to nitpick and then misspell.

what has this place come to? are we here to share and enjoy the fruits of our right to keep and bear arms or are we here to criticize each others' spelling? there is plenty of room to clarify terminology for newcomers without coming off as a bunch of pompous know-it-alls.

Texas Gun Person
January 24, 2010, 12:45 AM

Not sure if serious...

EP1990
January 24, 2010, 01:25 AM
I would personally get some kind of box with a lexan cover on it that slides on and off. maybe make some sort of holders for the bullets to keep them from falling over but yeah.

Dokkalfar
January 24, 2010, 01:27 AM
So half of this thread is now grammar discussion and inane paragraphs...

But if you're the religious type, a third thing that'll cause it to go off is commonly known as an Act of God. Otherwise, they should be perfectly fine. Unless your display shelf is right over the fireplace? Still probably pretty safe, but not something worth risking.

As to varying types of rounds, I know this kills your gun-buying argument for the girlfriend, but there are tons of websites that sell single rounds specifically for collectors. Someone had a thread a day ago about that cause he was looking for some rather rare calibers.

If you enjoyed reading about "displaying your bullets on a shelf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!