Reload...Do you carry one? Where ?

PDA

David E
January 23, 2010, 12:49 AM
If you ccw routinely, do you also carry a reload? Either a spare mag, speedloader or speedstrip?

WHERE do you carry it?

THIS IS A TWO-PART POLL. IF YOU ANSWER, "YES" THEN PLEASE ANSWER WHERE, ALSO

If you enjoyed reading about "Reload...Do you carry one? Where ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
January 23, 2010, 12:51 AM
Speedloader in a pocket, usually.

I have some carriers for them, but I use them less often than I thought I would.

wrs840
January 23, 2010, 01:03 AM
Two speedstrips for each revolver, one spare mag for an auto, in my pocket.

Les

Autolycus
January 23, 2010, 01:14 AM
In either a double mag pouch or a triple mag pouch with my shoulder holster. I did not vote as I misread the poll.

herohog
January 23, 2010, 01:39 AM
The spare magazine is in the same compartment as the gun and is held in place with an elastic/Velcro strap.

http://herohog.com/images/guns/carry05.jpg

Ya can just see it just below the butt and to the left of the pistol in the picture above. It is a Stainless Steel 14 round S&W Model 59 magazine.

TimboKhan
January 23, 2010, 01:50 AM
I don't carry anymore, but when I did, I rarely carried a reload, though I should have.

LoneStarWings
January 23, 2010, 01:54 AM
If I'm carrying my M&P 40, I'll always carry an extra magazine in my packet in a desantis pocket-magazine holder. That give me 31 rounds of .40.

If clothing permts, I will also carry a backup gun, an M&P 340 j-frame, with 2 5-round speed strips for reloads, for a total of 15 rounds of .357 magnum. So, most of the time I have 46 rounds on me. Some people find that excessive, but I like the peace of mind. Occasionally I will just carry the 340 and a few speed strips witout the semi-auto.

The Lone Haranguer
January 23, 2010, 03:29 AM
One spare magazine, OWB vertical pouch on the belt, at about 8:30.

Jaxinc
January 23, 2010, 03:57 AM
One clip in 6904 under left shoulder, two more in packet under right shoulder.

AOK
January 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
I carry two mags in a double mag holster at 9 o'clock.

wlewisiii
January 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
I carry in a pocket of my camera bag. 2 speedloaders are in there with the revolver.

William

wishin
January 23, 2010, 09:57 AM
No reload. 8 rounds in a sem auto pistol is plenty, short of a gunfight of great proportions.

Mastifflover
January 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
Glock 26. One reload, jacket pocket or back pants pocket.

Guillermo
January 23, 2010, 10:14 AM
Detective Special, one reload in a speed strip in pocket
PM9 two reloads on belt, weakside

Jonah71
January 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
I don't usually carry a spare mag with my 9mm. I have one 16+1 and a 14+1 so I don't think I should ever need an extra. But it would be nice to be able to reload my .38 spec. rev. a little faster.

Webbj0219
January 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
I figure five shots is enough, at least for the scenarios ive pictured. I dont plan on getting into a gun fight. I just need enough to get away.

possum
January 23, 2010, 12:34 PM
i carry one spare mag, if i am wearing my usual 5.11 pants it is the pocket in the front. however i am looking at getting a pocket mag carrier in the near future.

uspJ
January 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
i carry either a kel tec pf9 or one of my usp compacts depending on clothing. i carry the usp strong side carry in a iwb holster, and my keltec in a iwb behind my right hip above my wallet. if i carry the usp i carry one extra mag in my front weak hand pocket. if i carry the keltec i keep 2 mags in a leatherman pouch on my weakside.

i used to carry in a mag pouch but swithced to the leatherman case after hearing a few people talk about mag pouches being spotted even though their ccw was still concealed.

thorazine
January 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
Always carry one or two spare magazines.

Because people don't go down like they do in the movies. :P

-and-

Under extreme stress -- a few shots may easily miss their intended target(s).

forindooruseonly
January 23, 2010, 02:44 PM
No. I figure if I can't shoot my way out of the situation with the seven rounds in the gun, I'm dead anyway.

TeamPrecisionIT
January 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
I carry a spare magazine or two on my belt in mag pouches by Blackhawk!. There is another reload in my EDC bag and also two more in the truck if need be. If the problem is still not handled in 87 rounds of 9mm, I need to use the truck to get to my rifle or to some pretty serious cover - like underground!

Damian

41magsnub
January 23, 2010, 04:06 PM
speed strip, in the change pocket if I have one or loose in my left pocket if not.

smallbore
January 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
Either a speed strip or an extra mag dependent on what I'm carrying at the time. Lately it's a speed strip.

David E
January 23, 2010, 11:46 PM
Interesting........only 30 people say they carry a reload, but 47 carry it on their belt or in their pocket......

ccsniper
January 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
If I carried a revolver I would carry at least one speed loader or a speed strip just because I would feel better with 12 rounds instead of just 6. If I carried an auto, I would carry at least one spare mag not cause of capacity but an auto can fail, and I may need to clear a jam or have a mag related problem.

wrs840
January 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
Interesting........only 30 people say they carry a reload, but 47 carry it on their belt or in their pocket......

You can't vote for both, so I voted "pocket".

The poll is illogically constructed, therefore the seemingly contradicting numbers.

Les

David E
January 24, 2010, 12:17 AM
The poll allows you to answer "Yes" or "No" THEN it allows you to select WHERE you carry it.

I explained this in big, bold red font in the OP. which is visible as you read the poll.

2ndAmFan
January 24, 2010, 12:19 AM
Be prepared. I hope I am never in a situation where I need a gun as a defensive weapon, but I carry one. I carry at least 1 extra mag for a pistol, and at least 6, preferably 12 extra rounds for a revolver. I carry the reloads on me since if I need them it's not likely a BG will smile and say, "Sure, go ahead!" if I ask him if it's OK for me to go and reload.

Webbj0219
January 24, 2010, 09:24 AM
It seems to me that most ppl from a LEO background carry a reload or two, But I wonder if its a good Idea for someone thats not getting into that kinda trouble. I mean maybe the LEO's experience colors their civilian carry, even though as a civilian they arent as likely to need reloads? But when they are on duty they would definetely want more than 5 shots?

harmon rabb
January 24, 2010, 09:32 AM
Extra mag, or speedloader, in the pocket. I should get a mag holster..

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
January 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
Glock 26 12 + 1 in the gun -- 12 more in a mag holder on the belt . If I need more I am in the wrong place at the wrong time !

Mikhail Weiss
January 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
One spare magazine on belt, just behind left hip. Sometimes in front left pocket. Sometimes not at all.

The reason for carrying a reload isn't because the sixteen rounds already in the gun aren't enough, but because, sometimes, things happen, magazines fail, and the easiest fix is another magazine. (I say these things redundantly, as others have already said as much, too...)

45crittergitter
January 24, 2010, 04:59 PM
I checked all the answers except the one that says I don't carry a reload...

Mike J
January 24, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'm guilty of not reading the instructions David. I voted on belt in mag pouch before I realized it was multiple choice.
I carry one reload-XD-40 w/12 + 1 at 3:30 spare mag on offside at 9:00.

Bliggida
January 24, 2010, 07:41 PM
t seems to me that most ppl from a LEO background carry a reload or two, But I wonder if its a good Idea for someone thats not getting into that kinda trouble. I mean maybe the LEO's experience colors their civilian carry, even though as a civilian they arent as likely to need reloads? But when they are on duty they would definetely want more than 5 shots?

Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. It seemed to me that civilians carry reloads, where as LEO's do not.
In my personal experience based on what I do, and what my friends do. Carrying extra stuff all day for 8 hours, the last thing you want to do is carry anything you don't need for the remainder of the day.

While I don't necessarily agree that LEO's are always better marksmen. It seems (to me) that a person with an extra magazine in the wake of around 10 rounds in the gun is attempting to compensate for a lack of training and/or practice. Of sorts, a battle between firepower vs mobility.

I whole-heartedly support a persons decision to carry anything they deem necessary. For me personally, I just don't understand the need or belief that you're going to be able to reload in a dynamic situation. The average gun fight lasts about 3 seconds.

While there have (unfortunately) been many hundreds of self-defense shootings. I cannot remember hearing about or reading about a single instance in which a self-defense shooter emptied their gun. And, then needed to reload and continue.

It doesn't seem realistic to me, but as I mentioned if it's right for you, it's not wrong by me. I support anyone's decision for themselves. I would like to read about why folks carry reloads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reload...Do you carry one? Where ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!