Black Powder .45ACP and .45LC loads?

PDA

MacTech
January 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
I've been intrigued with the idea of setting up some BP loads for my Ruger New Blackhawk (.45ACP/LC), and perhaps my Kimber Custom II if it could handle it, I'm thinking some low-pressure target loads using some kind of BP substitute (777?) and maybe even black powder itself

I'd be using Winchester or CCI large pistol primers, and a 200G Better Bullets LSWC

I understand BP is measured differently (Drams?) than smokeless, are there any reccomended books/reference materials for working up a light BP load that would be safe in my BH or Kim Custom II?

any "recipe" recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Powder .45ACP and .45LC loads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MichaelK
January 23, 2010, 02:30 PM
This might be a good read for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Blackpowder-Loading-Manual/dp/0873495748/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1264274912&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Also, look at Lyman's manual.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Powder-Handbook-Loading-Manual/dp/B000MNAWMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264275078&sr=1-1

rcmodel
January 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
Black powder is weighed in grains, or measured in volume.

Early .45 Colt loads used 40 grains BP in balloon-head cases with a 255 grain bullet.
Later, the military load was reduced to 28 grains and a 230 in a shorter case for use in both Colt SAA's and S&W Schofields.

Today, with modern solid head .45 Colt cases, 35 - 38 grains is all you can get in one.

The .45 ACP was designed from the get-go as a smokeless powder cartridge, and has very little case capacity left with a bullet seated.
I would be surprised if you can get enough BP in a .45 AR/ACP case to get any performance at all.

rc

Galil5.56
January 23, 2010, 03:00 PM
Taffin has published results trying BP/Pyrodex in 45 Auto 1911's, and as expected it was a total NO-GO with regard to function... Used a 225 grain lead bullet and 1cc of GOEX 2F/3F/cartridge BP and Pyrodex P. Highest velocity from his various 1911's was 426 fps with Pyrodex P, lowest was 249 fps with Cartridge BP. A 1 CC scoop was used, as it was the most powder that he said could be added and still maintain mild compression with an over the powder wad.

snuffy
January 23, 2010, 04:22 PM
Function wouldn't be my concern, cleaning right afterward would be! I clean my BP rifle and kentucky pistol without much bother, but a modern revolver would be bad, but a 45-1911?:mad::fire: Total stripping and immersion in hot soapy water, of every piece, would be required.

It would be fun to see the FOOM! and the gentle push of a BP 45LC load. But the clean-up would be painful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Powder .45ACP and .45LC loads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!