Missing my Electronic Scale

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
January 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
I had to send my 10 year old PACT electronic scale in recently, and never realized how dependent I was on it. I have an old 505 RCBS scale, but dusting it off, and farting around with it soon made me realize it just wasn't going to cut it. Either it's off, got goofy cause it sat so long, or what, but I couldn't get it to level, or read the same way twice. I used to just run over to the electronic PACT, weigh a powder measure charge, adjust it, run back and check again, etc. Weigh bullets if I wasn't sure what they were, or even weigh cases or loaded rounds for consistency. Now I'm "without" for a couple weeks. Crap! I can't even reset my powder measures. I can reload what I am set up to do, and that's it. Guess I'll have to go shooting instead.........

If you enjoyed reading about "Missing my Electronic Scale" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
January 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
Man, I feel your pain since I've been reloading with an electronic balance(scale) for twenty years now. Regarding your 505 balance, I would suggest some Iso-Propyl Alcohol and some small swabs and throughly clean the knife edges and bearing points on your scale and let dry; do not lube. It's amazing what can accumulate there after a period of disuse. That should greatly improve operation. Remember you have to have it on a level surface to zero it.

Walkalong
January 23, 2010, 07:09 PM
I bounced mine off the tile floor and don't miss it at all. :D

I guess I am too impatient for an electronic scale. :o

softail99
January 24, 2010, 08:56 AM
I also love the ease of and electronic system. I use an RCBS Load master. I use the powder measure primarily for Match Rifle loading but I use the scale all of the time for checking loads and bullets orconsistency.
I do back it up from time to time with the RCBS 1010. You just can't go wrong doing this. Trust in one thing, verifying is something else.

Electronic scales CAN, over time, vary just a bit. One should recalibrate them on a regular basis just to be certain.

I have come across some of the lower end scales not holding repeatability as they should but if you use a good name brand it should be right on every time.

You can't beat the ease of a GOOD electronic scale. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Missing my Electronic Scale" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!