Reloading for dpms 308-lr with amax and varget

PDA

rozziboy18
January 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
Hey guys,
ive hade mt dpms 308lr for about a month now, shoots great, love the gun, bout i ran into a snag tonight working up a load with some new powder ,varget. \

current set up

nosler, pre weighed and preped brass
varget, 45.5-45.0 charge weight
case leight 1.998
seat 2.825
primer fed m210

im getting compressed loads from 45.5-45.3 is this something to be worried about with a gas operated rifle, and if so should i go back to blc-2 and leave varget to the pros?

Any input would be welcome thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for dpms 308-lr with amax and varget" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpwilly
January 24, 2010, 01:08 AM
What AMAX bullet weight? I've used 44gr (fed brass) with 168gr pills and they shoot great. Compressed loads with Varget powder are usually okay but I don't care for compressed loads. Just back off to 44gr...my reloads barely "crunch" when I seat the bullets with 44gr.

rozziboy18
January 24, 2010, 10:31 AM
sorry im using 168, ment to ad that, today is range day ima try the 44g

Casefull
January 24, 2010, 11:26 AM
I would not worry about the compressed loads within reason...watch your brass for pressure signs and do not get too close to the lands. There will definitly be a sweet spot where you have enough powder to be grouping well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for dpms 308-lr with amax and varget" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!