Magazines..loaded/unloaded

PDA

Mustanger1
January 24, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'm not into automatics very much but just purchased a Glock 26 for the wife to carry. I hear pro and con about filling the spare magazines and leaving them that way for however long. I don't personally see any harm in it, the one in the gun is kept loaded all the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazines..loaded/unloaded" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
David E
January 24, 2010, 01:09 AM
Load 'em up !

Oro
January 24, 2010, 01:24 AM
In general I agree with David E, but I have heard anecdotally that Glock magazine springs aren't as well tempered as many others and do take a "set" and wear out.

So, load up what you need to keep on hand. When they wear out, you will know (but you'll have 13 or so rounds before they don't pop the last one or two through). But he's right. Load 'em up and keep 'em on hand. I've heard the expression that to a combat pilot, there's nothing more useless than altitude above and runway behind. The handgun equivalent would have to be "magazines unloaded." Load 'em up!

wrs840
January 24, 2010, 01:37 AM
but I have heard anecdotally that Glock magazine springs aren't as well tempered as many others...

Really? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Les

possum
January 24, 2010, 04:43 AM
load your mags, they will be fine left loaded a long long time.

Oro
January 24, 2010, 05:06 AM
Really?

Yes, really.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I can with my experience with Glock ownership, and you can do the same by searching this forum and glocktalk for other people's experiences which have been reported. No worse really than, say, the weak Wolff springs that come in a Wilson 1911 magazine or that Wolff sells directly aftermarket for most guns. But still much less reliable than the carefully tempered spring-steel in traditional old-school magazines, or the cutting edge chrome-silicon springs other makers sell and install.

This is not an "unknown" or surprising fact. It doesn't demean the Glock or the virtues of it, it's just a fact that goes along with it.

oldfool
January 24, 2010, 06:26 AM
what David E said, load 'em up
I think it's "mostly" urban myth, springs taking sets in mags

but then again, I do keep my spare mags empty, and I do swap 'em out every once in a while
every few months, not obsessive compulsive about it though
if for no other special reason, just to shoot a few rounds

oldfool
January 24, 2010, 06:30 AM
hmmm... didn't know about the Glock thing
but, you know, I prefer my peanut butter "smooth" vs "chunky" style, go figger
:)

Drail
January 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
It's actually not so much a Glock thing as it is a double stack hi cap thing. The springs will lose their temper if over compressed. In a double stack mag loading it up to full capacity sometimes comes pretty close to overcompressed. A spring in this application is being asked to perform over a very wide load range (fully compressed/fully relaxed) I would recommend just downloading a double stack mag by a couple of rounds to ease the load on the spring. In a perfect world where the spring is manufactured and tempered perfectly this would not be necessary but there is no reason to push the envelope if it may kill your spring and cause a feed problem.

luigi
January 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
Interesting question. I'm surprised it's never been asked before.

Oh wait

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=225856&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=463412&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=416584&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397049&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=383706&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=341604&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=273962&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=173129&highlight=loaded+unloaded+magazines

highorder
January 24, 2010, 01:56 PM
load your mags, they will be fine left loaded a long long time.

All my mags are loaded.

SaxonPig
January 24, 2010, 02:06 PM

Leaving magazines loaded.

7. It appears that in the vast majority of cases magazines continue to function perfectly after being left loaded for extended periods of time. I have personally left rifle and pistol magazines loaded for up to 10 years and they worked fine when put to use. I have heard others speak of getting the same results after leaving magazines loaded even longer than 10 years.

DAVIDSDIVAD
January 24, 2010, 02:34 PM
I remember seeing an X-ray picture of a glock magazine, and it showed the spring being ULTRA compressed.

I think it has to do with an excessive compression of the spring as opposed to "bad tempering."

also, hurr.

rcmodel
January 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
Exactly.

Glock was one of the first to give up spring life in the pursuit of more capacity.

John Browning wisely limited the High-Power magazine to 13 rounds. You can leave them loaded for a century and they will still work perfectly.

Gaston on the other hand, went with 17 rounds and over-compressed the spring.

It was discussed at length in several issues of the Glock published, Glock Annuals, in a long term torture test written by Chuck Taylor and followed up every year.

Bottom line was, if you want Glock mags to last indefinitely loaded, down-load them a couple of rounds.

rc

X-Rap
January 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
I download most of my mags that I leave loaded, mostly so they will seat easier if the bolt/slide are in closed position.
I have found the factory Glock mags to be the most reliable of pistol mags for the most part.
All my mags are loaded.
All?

uspJ
January 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
i keep all my mags loaded, but never to capacity unless i'm about to go to the range. generally i'll leave 8-10 rds in a 12-13 rd magazine.

REAPER4206969
January 24, 2010, 07:53 PM
Load'em and leave'em.

X-Rap
January 24, 2010, 08:47 PM
Dang how many mags do you guys have? I have well over 100 of various types and can't see using them for ammo storage, are you talking about 12 or so?

Drail
January 25, 2010, 11:11 AM
I love what rcmodel said - " give up spring life in pusuit of more capacity " Even more amazing is the number of consumers that went along with the idea. Ask someone who carried an M16 in Vietnam about loading mags all the way to max capacity.

highorder
January 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
Dang how many mags do you guys have? I have well over 100 of various types and can't see using them for ammo storage, are you talking about 12 or so?

Ok, I have an empty AR mag and two empty 1911 mags in my range bag... :)

Aside from that, all my mags (25ish?) are loaded. I don't see any reason not to store ammunition in loaded magazines.

REAPER4206969
January 25, 2010, 01:12 PM
Ask someone who carried an M16 in Vietnam about loading mags all the way to max capacity.
The problem was soldiers loading the mags until they couldn't load anymore. They were stuffing 21 rounds in a 20 and 31 in a 30.

X-Rap
January 25, 2010, 02:05 PM
I have maybe a 1/2 dozen loaded for any specific gun at one time and that would be the AR. Aside from that I keep 3 mags for a couple Glocks and a 1911 loaded and those for my 380. That comes to about 18.
I just use the same ones and if I detect failures I will change the springs but so far they work fine.
The rest are just a hedge against any bad future legislation as well as the SHTF possibility.
Has anybody had failures on Glock and Kimber Tactical mags that they consider caused by spring fatigue?

DSAPT9
January 25, 2010, 02:39 PM
A spring, any spring will lose some of its tension if kept under load for long periods of time. Some just more than others and some faster it is just a fact of life. With that said
I agree with most to load your mags up also like some I do cycle my mags. I do a 2 month method so they are loaded for 2 months and then unloaded for two months to allow them to relax. It is something I have done most of my life. It has worked for me even if its only in my mind.

I did it for my G21 for years when I had it and now my G19s

rcmodel
January 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
to allow them to relax.
Only thing wrong with that is, spring steel doesn't "relax", and it does no good to give it a rest break when it gets tired.

Once the elastic limit of a spring is exceeded, it stays exceeded.
You can't even stretch a spring back to life, because stretching exceeds the elastic limit again, and will just make it weaker.

rc

DAVIDSDIVAD
January 25, 2010, 07:36 PM
A spring, any spring will lose some of its tension if kept under load for long periods of time. Some just more than others and some faster it is just a fact of life. With that said
I agree with most to load your mags up also like some I do cycle my mags. I do a 2 month method so they are loaded for 2 months and then unloaded for two months to allow them to relax. It is something I have done most of my life. It has worked for me even if its only in my mind.

Wrong wrong wrong, a spring does not get worn out under a normal, static load.

chevyforlife21
January 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
why do you guys ask this question every other day haha. just download by 10 percent itll be fine

SideArmed
January 25, 2010, 08:05 PM
From what ive heard......

the spring movement of "loading and unloading/firing" is what wears mag springs. Storing them loaded may put some wear on them but the exercising of the spring up and down is what wears them much faster.

I keep most mags (wilson cmbt, glock mags) loaded, usually -1 rd. Never had mag / spring problems.

Of course, this is just my experience :)

DAVIDSDIVAD
January 25, 2010, 10:24 PM
Noooooooo, leaving a spring loaded does nothing over the course of a human being's lifetime.

There is no wear detectable by humans, whatsoever, as long as nothing is moving.

lexjj
January 25, 2010, 10:58 PM
I don't think leaving magazines loaded affects springs at all. Springs wear out from being compressed and uncompressed over and over again. Either leaving them compressed or uncompressed shouldn't affect them.

HOWEVER
I don't usually leave my magazines loaded because of the legalities involved with transporting my weapons back and forth from the range. I don't have a CCW permit. Generally, you are required to transport firearms unloaded, in the trunk (or inaccessible), etc. But, I drive a truck and don't want to put the guns in the back bed. So I leave my guns in the back cabin. I keep the magazines unloaded and the guns in separate compartments from the ammunition. That is probably good enough for my locale and interstate travel.

Gelgoog
January 25, 2010, 11:41 PM
fatigue comes from constantly compressing the spring. Leaving the magazine loaded is going to induce no more wear then leaving it unloaded.

jackpinesavages
January 26, 2010, 08:45 AM
Oh my. The intererror webs is full today.

IIRC, Vickers recommends down loading for storage, IE 12 or 13 rds in a 15 rd mag..

YMMV

Ala Dan
January 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
Like David E said,

""LOAD 'EM UP"

Its the constant loading, and unloading that wears on magazine springs~! :uhoh:

Drail
January 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
Leaving them loaded - not a problem. Overcompressing the springs - a problem. You have to decide which is more important and ask yourself, "Do I really need 15 rounds instead of 13 or would I rather have 100% feed reliability?"

2ndAmendmentDemocrat
January 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
"I've heard the expression that to a combat pilot, there's nothing more useless than altitude above and runway behind."

And the only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire!

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazines..loaded/unloaded" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!