Bedside Configuration......

PDA

viking499
January 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
Just curious to what you keep beside your bed(not in your bed) as a weapon....

Rifle, pistol or shotgun? Light or no light? CT grips? Other items or accessories?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bedside Configuration......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WC145
January 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
A S&W 586 L-Comp, a Surefire G2, and two mastiffs.

Cajun
January 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
A S&W Md.66 .357, Fenix 4 sevens 123 flashlight,and 85 pound German Shepherd!!

MICHAEL T
January 24, 2010, 03:19 PM
A 1911 on night stand Loaded AR 15 2nd drawer of dresser. 160lb German Sheppard and a black Lab next to and at foot of bed. Their are always lights on in house at night I hate a dark house :D
2n smaller German Shepperd on duty outside

CrashInBlack
January 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
1911 on and Saiga 12 beside the nightstand.

esheato
January 24, 2010, 03:38 PM
Benelli M2 (Fed Premium 00 buck with FliteControl wads) with Surefire forend with upgraded lamp assy, Surefire on wifes nightstand and pooch on the floor at our feet.

harmon rabb
January 24, 2010, 03:49 PM
xd 45 on the nightstand.

wow6599
January 24, 2010, 04:04 PM
Glock 20, a flashlight, 2 dogs and (3) 12 gauge shotties on the wall.
When I'm out of town the Glock goes in the safe and the wife uses a M&P 9.

andrsnsm
January 24, 2010, 04:11 PM
Two Shi-Tzus.

Oh you meant guns! Would rather not say :-)

jscott
January 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/woaviator/2010-01-24004.jpg

Well, it's what is in there today at least. FNH FNP-40, 155 gr. Speer Gold Dot

G27RR
January 24, 2010, 06:17 PM
Glock 21SF with a Streamlight TLR-2. 13+1 of .45 ACP works for me. If I didn't have very small kids in the house, I'd keep the 12GA with a TLR-1 nearby as the primary. It's easier to have a quick access pistol safe than a quick access solution for the shotgun.

Webbj0219
January 24, 2010, 07:20 PM
I keep a S&W 442 and a 3 D cell mag light

rd2007
January 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
5 dogs and a monitored alarm system downstairs. A gate on the stairs that is a royal PITA to go over. If you managed to make it to the bedroom, the SP101 and AK are on my side with a flashlight and the XDm is on my wife's side with another flashlight. Only an absolute idiot that didn't do any of his homework would think of trying to get in my house... :D

oh, and no kids at home, so all guns are in simple snap open cases with a round chambered and full magazines.

andrsnsm
January 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
Dang! rd2007, I used to live in San Antonio and it wasn't that bad back then. Had problems in the past?

S&Wfan
January 25, 2010, 12:09 AM
It is a free country, so, for the sake of discussion . . .

What's wrong with having a handgun IN bed, if it is in a safe holster? What's wrong with TWO?:D To each his own.

I'd rather have a handgun IN the bed than on top of a nightstand for the burglar to get hold of first.

Heck, I think the dog sleeps harder than I do!

ON THE NIGHTSTAND? . . . a high-power mini flashlight is a great idea.

chihuahuatn
January 25, 2010, 01:45 AM
XD-45, with tac light-laser in cigar box on my night stand, Spas-12 beside the bed room door, M16-A1 configured to M4 specs (w/ EOTECH) with 40rd Sterling mags in the closet 3ft from the bed.....yes my wife thinks I'm crazy...4pound terrier waking me up........

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 25, 2010, 03:15 AM
Ruger P95 and Browning BPS loaded with 00 buck(of course) behind the door.

Attack cat who is a pissy little B that hates anything and anybody but me----will growl and hiss at anybody who comes in the house----girlfriend is slowly winning her over by feeding her off of her plate---but now I'm getting a little mooch on my hands. :banghead:

GojuBrian
January 25, 2010, 04:22 AM
I sleep with one eye open,full camo pj's, gun snug in bed with me, finger on the trigger just in case. :uhoh:

12guage handy next to the bed, cz ready to go beside me. If their in the bedroom before you wake up what does it matter?

I rely on my dogs to alert me.

Jaxinc
January 25, 2010, 04:57 AM
I rest the shoulder holster on my bedpost, 69 loaded and waiting.

Dont need a flashlight cause I can see in the dark easily, but room mates leave lights on anyways.
Pretty much, I can sleep through a hurricane...vouched, I slept through the first half of hurricane ivan, till the tree fell on my house. It's noises I'm not used to that wake me up.

ATBackPackin
January 25, 2010, 09:18 AM
Right now I have a CZ SP-01 and FEG PA-63 in a small safe in the top of my closet which is a step and a half from my bed and a Mossberg 500 in the bottom with a trigger lock. When I am home the safe is open and the trigger lock is off. I don't place anything on my nightstand because I have a cat that absolutely refuses to stay off of it and I'm afraid he will knock a gun off.

Oh, I forgot. The CZ has a light and I also have a handheld light. The shotgun will be getting a light soon.

I am seriously considering making a nightstand where the side toward the bed has an European hinged panel with a compartment behind it where I can place the CZ. Only problem is if I do that then I have to make a bed as well for the wife.

Shawn

huntme
January 25, 2010, 09:21 AM
i keep a loaded 870 supermag by my bed.3 1/2 00 buck

Walkalong
January 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
A clock, a lamp, and an attack cat.

Marlin 45 carbine
January 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
I velcroed a spare cheapo holster to the bedpost for my Makarov. keep 12ga Mag coach leaned in corner by nitelite.

FAS1
January 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
G17 in my FAS1 safe mounted to my bedframe in open position at night. Cell phone, small LED flashlight, Spyderco C07, and car keys on nightstand. Beretta 1201FP loaded with safety on in a locked cabinet on closet.

OpelBlitz
January 25, 2010, 10:32 AM
- Smith & Wesson M&P45 with 230gr .45ACP Winchester SXP JHP's
- Smith & Wesson 686+ with 158gr .357 Magnum Hornady XTP, for the wife
- Stoeger Coach Gun (double defense, haha!) with Winchester 12ga 00 Buckshot
- Surefire G2L which can quickly be attached to the Stoeger or just handheld with the handguns
- If truly needed, M1 Carbine with handloaded 110g SP's. But really, the Stoeger landed enough mall ninja points. lol
- M4 Bayonet, can be attached to my M1 Carbine

rd2007
January 26, 2010, 09:24 AM
Dang! rd2007, I used to live in San Antonio and it wasn't that bad back then. Had problems in the past?
no, no problems at all here, but I'd like to keep it that way.. I figure it's better to be prepared instead of pretending we live in a perfect world. There have been some break-ins lately and they keep spreading further west. I'm way out west, outside 1604 near SeaWorld, and that area used to be pretty barren, but now it's overdeveloped. They also put in some section 8 townhomes in the front of my neighborhood and some more affordable housing in the back. You know what that attracts and it sure did. Mostly a bunch of little punk b!tch kids, but also some real gang bangers that figure the suburbs is a good place to find people who aren't prepared for them. I kinda hope they do give me the opportunity to take advantage of the Castle Doctrine one day, though..

mongo4567
January 26, 2010, 09:48 PM
S&W 66/4 inch along with a Maglite 4D cell...and a 90 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback

david_the_greek
January 26, 2010, 10:38 PM
haha rd2007, you better delete that post!!!! if you one day ever have to defend yourself, that little ****s mommy is going to have some ass hole lawyer paint you as a blood thirsty rambo.

leadcounsel
January 26, 2010, 11:55 PM
Don't wanna tip my hand too much, but take your pick. I also have electronic peltors and eyepro right there if I have an extra second to put them on. In addition to these, there are some other nasty surprises. My place is alarmed, motion lights, I have CCTV, and entry points (exterior and interior) are hardened and very tough safes. And there's a lot of other suprises for the would-be burlgar, day or night, whether I'm home or away. I've learned a lot in the military (couple of deployments to Iraq) about improving your foxhole, fatal funnels, equipment, etc.

BTW- these hooks are very useful, store easily, and were only about $5 total at Lowes.

Sharkee
January 27, 2010, 01:39 AM
A Pit Bull for bark and Queensland Healer for bite

BaltimoreBoy
January 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned : a pair of ear plugs.

Don't know if I would have time to use them, but I would like to protect my hearing if time permits.

wishin
January 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
Ruger Vaquero on night stand and Winchester model 12 standing on the floor. One in the chamber of both.

TeamPrecisionIT
January 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
Ear plugs would be too cumbersome, but a set of electronic muffs might make sense, easy on and they enhance sounds while providing the protection you want. Something like Peltors would make sense but trying to stuff some ear plugs in would take a little too much time at a time when it will not be affordable, even the Surefire ear pro.

Personally I have a simple battery for home defense. M&P9 and a 1911 are used by me and the wife to get to the AR and shotgun. Simple as that, on top of the other layers of security.

Damian

Cosmoline
January 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
Either the Mosin 91/30 loaded with 150 grain SP's or the Big Bore .450 Marlin, depending on what's getting worked on and what mood I'm in. The tactical light goes on the one I'm using, with a nice simple mount I found at Midway.

Leadcounsel puts me to shame, though.

fireman 9731
January 27, 2010, 09:46 PM
- Colt Defender on the nightstand
- H&R single shot next to the bed loaded with buck and a buttcuff of reloads
- SureFire G2 on the nightstand as well.

ohioshooter
January 27, 2010, 09:48 PM
My side....Kimber Crimson Carry .45 full size.....wifes side....Caspian .45 commander size.....nothing else needed

Shadow Man
January 27, 2010, 09:53 PM
Cabinet's in the room with me. 125lb Black German Shepherd is too.

TonyDedo
January 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
I like my bedside pistol (either a 686 or an XD45) in a holster attached to a belt are tucked in between the box spring and mattress. I'm right handed and sleep on the left side of the bed, so it's very easy to grab while lying in or exiting the bed. The overhang of the feather bed conceals it nicely as well. If I need to travel, I can simply strap on the belt.

Flashlight and cell phone on the night stand. I don't think anyone's bothered to mention a phone... I know we're all self sufficient gun owners, but there ARE some situations that can't be resolved by hunting through your home with a laser & flashlight equipped high power rifle...

Master control to all the lights and alarm system attached to my headboard.

Wallet, keys, and emergency checklist are nearby. Mossberg 590A1 and bug out bag are also within reach. There's a light attached to the Mossberg, but I'm not a fan of weapon lights.

I think that about covers it... Oh yeah, and a friendly Havanese between me and the door, ready to trip up any intruders.

M4 Bayonet, can be attached to my M1 Carbine

Seriously???

glock36
January 27, 2010, 10:19 PM
rd2007 you better watch what you hope for, that just may end up kicking you in the butt

CoRoMo
January 27, 2010, 10:29 PM
Cough drops, chap-stik, Vicks, a flashlight and some buckshot.

KingEdward
January 28, 2010, 03:00 PM
Currently in the night stand:

A small bible, a Smith & Wesson 686P 3" with 2 full speed loaders, xenon bulb small flashlight, 3D mag light, whistle, cell phone, a little card with the 5 things to do after a shooting, and a spare key tied to a light stick

6 feet away in the closet is a Mossberg 500 bantam model with 5 in the tube / chamber
empty / safety off. There are six spare shells on the stock.

cleardiddion
January 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
Mossberg 500A and PA-63. Grab one or the other depending on how big the bump in the night is

mcdonl
January 28, 2010, 03:59 PM
Ear plugs.... lol

Coromo... brilliant... I never thought of putting the buckshot in vicks... makes a great eye irritant...

This thread should be merged with you know your a mall ninja.....

LiquidTension
January 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
G22 w/XS sights and a weapon light on the bedside table. Also a 642 on the table. The dog barks very loudly at strangers. It's her only redeeming value.

WoofersInc
January 28, 2010, 04:21 PM
Springfield XD 45 with surefire light, loaded with 230 grain Winchester SXT's. Mossberg 590 with #00 buck in it. 4 large labradors for early warning radar.

texas bulldog
January 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
usually...dan wesson CBOB. safe in bedroom closet has plenty of backup choices if needed.

essayons21
January 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
1911 and surefire or inova t3 on nightstand. M500 under bed.

Main defense is that the house is so dirty anyone trying to move around in the dark will probably break an ankle.

BP Hunter
January 28, 2010, 05:24 PM
A Remington 870 20 gauge with 6 up the magazine. A fanny pack with more shots, and also in it a flashlight, a spare magazine for my Sig P220 .45cal, my cellphone with it's bluetooth, and a holster carrying my Sig P220. I think the bluetooth for my cellphone is a good idea. I can keep both of my hands free while talking to 911.

CoRoMo
January 28, 2010, 05:26 PM
I forgot about the Kleenex. It's a must have in the bedside table.

It is the tactical version with aloe.:)

MTMilitiaman
January 28, 2010, 05:39 PM
I have a bookshelf between the wall and head of my bed. The top of the bed comes about midway between the 2nd and 3rd shelves from the bottom. I keep either a Gen III Glock 20 or a SIG P220SAO on the 2nd shelf where it is out of sight but easily accessible. Either is equipped with an Insight M3X and loaded with quality JHPs when pulling nightstand duty. For the 10mm Glock this is 15 rounds of 180 gr GDHP, 180 gr XTP, or 175 gr Winchester Silver Tips. For the .45 it is 8 rounds of 230 gr GDHP, almost exclussively.

Then there is an AK and a 12 gauge about 8 feet away in the closet. The AK is loaded with 30 rounds of Wolf's 124 gr MC JHP and has a reflex sight and 2-battery Surefire attached to it.

I am not much a fan of shotguns but if I ever get around to it I'll set the 870 up for home defense as well, then possibly keep it loaded with #1 or 00 buckshot under the bed.

Home defense weapons IMO should have a quality white light on them and be loaded with appropriate ammo. Aside from being absolutely reliable, the only other requirement I have is that I have demonstrated the ability to hit with it quickly.

The cell phone is charging next to my bed, as well. The plan is for the girlfriend to call 911 and stay put with the handgun while I secure the area immediately outside my door with the AK. From that position I can cover both the front and back door as well as keep an eye on the back yard. I don't intend to clear the entire house, just gain a tactically relevent position and stay put. From that position, it is almost impossible for anyone to move about the house without exposing themselves to 125 lumens, and potentially, a pair of .310 caliber 124 gr JHPs @ 2300 fps shortly thereafter.

hso
January 28, 2010, 05:48 PM
Nothing by the bed. Akita across the BR by the door. P14 in the top drawer of the dresser. 1100 20ga in the closet.
Defense in depth is preferable to a last minute/last ditch approach. Slow the BGs down through progressively more difficult to defeat barriers and obstacles so that you have time to gather the family and properly arm yourself and you'll probably never have to fire a shot.

GasX
January 28, 2010, 06:17 PM
S&W 3913 9mm in biometric gunvault in drawer next to bed, Surefire G2 & glow sticks also in drawer, axe handle behind headboard, and a large dog by the door.

Bufford t. Justice
January 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
Springfield lightweight operator with tlr-1 and three loaded cobra mags next to me and .556 carbine in the corner. Three Katanas on my dresser along with chucks and a passel of other blades. 458 Socom and Rem 870 in a closet safe. Pity the fool that trespasses here.

stroked250
January 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
Springer 1911-A1 cocked and locked, loaded with 230 gr JHP in a holster mounted to the bed frame on the wall side, super fast to clear leather if needed, Winchester Ranger 120 sleeps under the bed hanging on the frame, loaded with Hornady 12 ga 300 gr FTX slugs followed by four 12 ga 00 Buckshot Critical Defense, (my grandfathers old gun) outfitted with an ATI 6 Postion Collapsible stock, 5 round polymer shell holder (full) and 18" slug barrell with a Blinding LED light zip tied to the barrel! yeah its not purdy but it will get the job done if needed. One Big dopey 90 pound Black lab golden mix on the floor by the bedroom door, he barks at anything! There have been alot of break-ins on my street, during the middle of day and at night. Got the Posted sign hanging on the garage "No Tresspassing! violators will be shot, survivors will be shot again" The local police love it! They came once and saw it and said better to have the property posted than not at all.

Dr.Rob
January 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
Pretty basic: red/white LED Lenser flashlight, Colt Magnum Carry + 1 reload (.357 158gr Hydrashocks), Motorolla Razor2 Cell Phone. Yappy beagle and other measures not pictured. ;)

Red light doesn't ruin your night vision, and this way I can point a light at something and NOT be pointing a loaded gun at it.

Besides, this stuff fits in my bathrobe easily.

Boberama
January 29, 2010, 07:50 AM
English Bull Terrier.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/boberamatheclown/Flashman/bully.jpg?t=1264765255

Type: Flashman
Weight: 70 lbs
Teeth: 42 Total, 12 incisors, 4 canine teeth, 16 premolars, and 10 molars.
Bite Force: roughly 1200 psi
Height: two feet
Speed: Unknown

mcdonl
January 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
Speed: Unknown

What? He has never chased your car while you check the spedo :)

Boberama
January 29, 2010, 10:04 AM
What? He has never chased your car while you check the spedo

That's a great idea! He's too dumb though. He once charged at a car and got hit, sent him bouncing down the road and into a bush.

He was fine. After a long search I found he had walked back into the house while I was at the road. The driver thought they had killed him.

I found him lickin' his paws in the kennel. :)

Sure does look mighty fierce though!

Boberama
January 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
These dogs don't give up easily.
http://www.jumphook.com/images/incaquillface.jpg

Yow!

My second plan is the Series 70 and 185 gr Silvertips in the GunVault.

rborensr
January 29, 2010, 02:24 PM
MTMilitiaman, just one question, what about the penetration through the walls? You do live in a neighborhood. You might want to consider the over penetration and grab the other pistol instead of the ak.

MinnMooney
January 29, 2010, 03:37 PM
post #13 :
5 dogs and a monitored alarm system downstairs. A gate on the stairs that is a royal PITA to go over. If you managed to make it to the bedroom, the SP101 and AK are on my side with a flashlight and the XDm is on my wife's side with another flashlight. Only an absolute idiot that didn't do any of his homework would think of trying to get in my house...

post #14 :

All it takes is that first time. Why wait for a pattern.

malakili
January 29, 2010, 11:53 PM
Mossberg Maverick 18" w/ 00 buck and Taurus PT111 9mm for the wife.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bedside Configuration......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!