Laser Sights ?

PDA

rpchevy02
January 24, 2010, 02:32 PM
I am considering laser sights for my Beretta 92/96,any suggestions on brand,quality? What about activation,front vs side? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Laser Sights ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dmazur
January 24, 2010, 02:51 PM
Crimson Trace is the only brand I'm familiar with -

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/Beretta/LG402M/tabid/178/Default.aspx

I have this in a model for the 1911, and the front activation is quite natural. By that I mean it doesn't take any conscious effort to turn on the laser. A normal grip does it. (There is a slide switch on the bottom of one grip panel for turning the laser off, and it's recessed and not easy to do. This means it can't be accidentally turned off. You have to want it off.)

There is a battery holder in each grip panel, and the whole assembly is remarkably rugged and water resistant.

The offset position of the laser isn't a problem, IMO. You use the supplied Allen wrenches to adjust elevation/windage to match some point of impact, say at a distance of 10 yds. There will be differences between POI and POA (laser dot) at different ranges, but only on the order of an inch or so. Most consider this insignificant for self-defense. The laser isn't a replacement for a competition red dot sight, in other words.

There can be a problem with tight-fitting holsters. If you have a holster that is wet-molded to your pistol's shape, the "bump" at the top of the R grip panel may cause some problems. Sometimes retention straps won't snap.

There can also be a problem with holsters that are too loose. If the holster allows the front-activation button to contact the holster edge, it can turn on in the holster. Not a good idea...

So, there are some things to watch for. In general, Crimson Trace is excellent. Expensive, but excellent.

xXxplosive
January 24, 2010, 03:57 PM
Handled the bump on the CTL with a little massaging of the holser with my Dremmel tool.....I have the 401 Pro on my Combat Commander and Love'em.
Alao like the on/off option switch..............

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
January 24, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have several handguns with the Crimson trace laser grips , I'm always impressed with how dependable they are and how long the batteries last , the only person I know that goes thru batteries very fast uses the red dot to tease his cat . I have used customer service only once and I have been very satisfied so far. The CT sights are a great help to visually impaired folks and in low light situations . Make sure that you don't rely on them exclusively though , anything made by man can and will fail at the worst time . Continued practice with your regular sights will keep you sharp and able to respond if your laser fails .Most holster makers have a model to fit your gun with CT sights . I use a Galco B919L for my Glock 26 and it works great !

If you enjoyed reading about "Laser Sights ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!