Selling Some Stuff And Shipping. I Am Confused.

PDA

Phydeaux642
January 24, 2010, 08:24 PM
I know, I know. The "selling firearms and shipping them" threads have been done a bunch, but the more I read the more confused I get (the threads breaking down into name calling doesn't help, either). I have used the search function, but that hasn't helped me much with all of the different answers. It seems that for every ten responses there are eleven different answers.

I called two shops in my area and they want $50-$55 to ship a gun for me. Well, that adds more than many people are willing to pay. So, I thought I would look into FedEx since they stay open late where I'm at. They require that you ship FedEx Priority Overnight which is really expensive. I added what I though would be an average sized handgun package and it was almost $75.00.:what:

UPS has some very strange hours and I guess the USPS can sometimes be a pain to deal with.

Is there a definitive place on the web that I can go and get real info that nobody questions regarding shipping? And, who is the cheapest while not being too much of a pain to deal with?

No arguements, please.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling Some Stuff And Shipping. I Am Confused." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
January 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
Are you shipping handguns or long guns? The rules are different.

You cannot use the US Post Office to send handguns unless you are an FFL.

Here is FEDEX:
http://fedex.com/us/services/terms/

A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

THE DARK KNIGHT
January 24, 2010, 09:07 PM
1. Are shipping a handgun or a long gun?
2. What state do you live in?
3. What state does the buyer live in?

NavyLCDR
January 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Here is UPS:
http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf

3.6 Firearms and Ammunition
UPS accepts packages containing
firearms, (as defined by Title 18, Chapter
44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United
States Code), from and between licensed
importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed
dealers and licensed collectors, as defined
in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States
Code, law enforcement agencies, from and
between persons not otherwise prohibited
from shipping firearms by federal, state or
local law, and when such shipment
complies with all federal, state and local
laws applicable to the shipper, recipient,
and package.
- The shipper must use Delivery
Confirmation Adult Signature Required
service for each package containing a
firearm (including handguns). UPS, in its
sole discretion, may require the shipper to
select a UPS Next Day Air® Service for any
package containing a firearm. Handguns
(as defined by 18 U.S.C. §921) will be
accepted for transportation only via UPS
Next Day Air Services.
- Firearms (including handguns) are not
accepted for transportation via UPS Drop
Boxes, UPS Internet Shipping, in response
to a request for UPS On-Call Pickup®
service, or when presented for shipment at
any Third Party Retailer. UPS Returns®
Services are not available for packages
containing firearms.
- Small arms ammunition, as defined in
49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only
when packaged and labeled in compliance
with 49 C.F.R. § 172.
- Firearm parts, which do not constitute
firearms as defined under federal law,
(including without limitation Title 18,
Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the
United States Code), and which otherwise
comply with federal, state, and local law,
will be accepted for transportation.
- Firearms (including handguns) and
firearm parts are not accepted for shipment
internationally.
For more information, access
www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship
/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html or
contact UPS.

BruM
January 24, 2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html I hope I'm not violating some site policy by posting this link but it helped me though I am still confused.

NavyLCDR
January 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
No, you aren't violating any conditions here! :D It's fine to link to other forums.

I did notice, when I looked at the UPS and FEDEX websites, both of their terms of service were new in January, 2010. I don't know if they changed anything in regards to firearms or not. I know FEDEX used to require only handguns to be shipped overnight, but now it looks like all firearms.

The only gun I have bought over the internet - the seller charged $30 for shipping, but it was a long gun mailed in US Postal Service to my FFL, who will not accept any payment from active duty military for transfers!

Harold Mayo
January 24, 2010, 09:32 PM
You have to get the buyer to cover the shipping costs or you have to eat some of it. Personally, I'd keep hunting for another dealer.

It's a pain to ship firearms on your own, anymore. I have a local dealer who will ship for me at his cost because I do a lot of business with him. It varies based on what you're shipping, but it is what it is. Not really any good way around it. USPS is about the best way to do it in regard to expense and that means, at least for handguns, going through a dealer.

rogerjames
January 24, 2010, 10:14 PM
For me... cheapest is to pay local pawn shop/FFL a transfer fee and let them use their shipping advantages as an FFL. Transfer fee $20, but as an FFL he isn't required to ship overnight, so he charges me cost to ship ground.

nalioth
January 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
My local guy doesn't charge me anything to ship handguns. I just bring him the handgun in an unsealed preaddressed and prepaid USPS flat rate Priority Mail shipping box, and he takes it from there.

Basically, he's not having to run all over town to do anything, so he doesn't charge me anything.

As was noted above, find another dealer, as the ones you mention are bending you over.

If you're selling long guns, you can send them yourself via the US Post Office for less than $20.

Of course, these are the legal ways here in Texas. You may live somewhere where they are illegal.

45Badger
January 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
My local guy doesn't charge me anything to ship handguns. I just bring him the handgun in an unsealed preaddressed and prepaid USPS flat rate Priority Mail shipping box, and he takes it from there.

Basically, he's not having to run all over town to do anything, so he doesn't charge me anything.

That's how I do it.

NavyLCDR
January 24, 2010, 10:57 PM

That is AWESOME! As is the FFL I use, too. If I am ever inclined to go in the business as an FFL, that's how I would handle it too!

There is also an FFL at the local Ace Hardware store that does only the minimum required to sell a gun. He has no interest in making up stupid rules or company policies of his own. I will gladly pay and extra 2 or 3% increase in the price because he is a small shop to deal with him rather than put up with stupid company policies.

Phydeaux642
January 25, 2010, 08:10 PM
1. Are shipping a handgun or a long gun?
2. What state do you live in?
3. What state does the buyer live in?

Long gun first.
Missouri.
Don't know yet.

I do know that FedEx probably will not be an option with the cost of FedEx Overnight Priority. I'll have to check into UPS a little more for handguns and I'll probably use USPS for long guns. Geez, what a pain.

mgkdrgn
January 26, 2010, 07:49 AM
For long guns you can use any carrier you wish. For handguns you CAN NOT use the Post Office.

What you can -not- do is ship directly to whom ever is buying the gun, if they live in another state. You can ONLY ship to an FFL, and then they deal with the paperwork and background checks required by that state.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling Some Stuff And Shipping. I Am Confused." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!